Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? 20:45 - Jun 22 with 4148 viewsEssexBloo

Genuine question, I’m not trying to stir it up and the 4 we have in could of course be on huge wages but were the original expectations that we would be paying big transfer fees? Is our business reflective of the fact we’re in the third tier? Has any club ever paid more money for an old Staples building than on players!?

For what it’s worth I think we’ve done some solid business although I’m none the wiser if the owners are ‘really’ going for it or not.
Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 20:55 - Jun 22 with 3555 viewsFrimleyBlue

You can't just 'go for it' even in league 1. There is still financial restrictions in place.

That said. So far it's been smart business.

I've yet to see many transfers at this level that involve transfer fees, this will come later in the window. Not when clubs are still announcing players who have turned down new deals and are leaving at the end of this month.

Plenty of top quality deals to had for 0 transfer fees.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 21:04 - Jun 22 with 3479 viewsVeggie

Just because our investors have money it doesn’t mean that we should just go out and spend millions. Derby did this and it hasn’t exactly worked out well for them. Also, our investors are just that. Investors. They eventually want to see a profit from their investment. The more they spend, the less chance there is of them making a profit. Plus I personally don’t want us to be a club that goes around splashing the cash. I want us to do it the right way. By acquiring and developing players of character and ability that can do the job that the manager wants them to do. That’s more the ‘Ipswich way’.
Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 21:05 - Jun 22 with 3480 viewsTomTheWriter

Clever signings. No one is spending money in the Championship let alone League One on June 22nd. You’ll start to see some fees being paid around the end of July and August. Everything has to filter down from the Prem.

You don’t need to spend money to get success. We paid fees, we finished 11th. Wigan went for free agents, and won the league. In an ideal world we spend ‘big’ money on 1 player this summer, because you certainly do not need to pay large fees for a LWB and another CM.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 21:07 - Jun 22 with 3444 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 20:55 - Jun 22 by FrimleyBlue

You can't just 'go for it' even in league 1. There is still financial restrictions in place.

That said. So far it's been smart business.

I've yet to see many transfers at this level that involve transfer fees, this will come later in the window. Not when clubs are still announcing players who have turned down new deals and are leaving at the end of this month.

Plenty of top quality deals to had for 0 transfer fees.

The 1st 3 seem like sound thinking.

JJ I've never heard off but I am hoping to see one more strikers but feel like Pig has to go for that to happen.

Ladapo scores in L1
Ball solid water carrier can play with or instead of Morsy
Leigh would expect to be at a higher level by now but for injury.

JJ, who knows but after a few spellls finding his feet this could be breakthrough... or not

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 21:11 - Jun 22 with 3401 viewsEssexBloo

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 21:07 - Jun 22 by BlueandTruesince82

The 1st 3 seem like sound thinking.

JJ I've never heard off but I am hoping to see one more strikers but feel like Pig has to go for that to happen.

Ladapo scores in L1
Ball solid water carrier can play with or instead of Morsy
Leigh would expect to be at a higher level by now but for injury.

JJ, who knows but after a few spellls finding his feet this could be breakthrough... or not

Thanks everyone. Sound responses and I’ll relax a bit more!
Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 21:28 - Jun 22 with 3295 viewscatch74

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 21:11 - Jun 22 by EssexBloo

Thanks everyone. Sound responses and I’ll relax a bit more!

I’m seen to recall Phil mentioning at the end of last season in an article that McKenna was suggesting he’d rather investment in the training facilities than signings.
Don’t forget the work that’s been carried out already at the club, the land purchase, the new pitch next season. There’s money and long term planning going on.
Plus the new contract for Burns, signing Walton in January etc etc

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 21:32 - Jun 22 with 3225 viewsPhilTWTD

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 21:05 - Jun 22 by TomTheWriter

Clever signings. No one is spending money in the Championship let alone League One on June 22nd. You’ll start to see some fees being paid around the end of July and August. Everything has to filter down from the Prem.

You don’t need to spend money to get success. We paid fees, we finished 11th. Wigan went for free agents, and won the league. In an ideal world we spend ‘big’ money on 1 player this summer, because you certainly do not need to pay large fees for a LWB and another CM.

A lot of players on frees the last couple of summers at this level, presumably as clubs offered a lot of shorter-term deals with their finances hit by Covid.
Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 21:50 - Jun 22 with 3029 viewswkj

Coming Soon...

"GC20 is clearly going to be scrimping around for loans and freebies with the intention to pocket everything they can from fees we generate. ITFC is going to be nothing more than a tax write-off as they were so impressed by Marcus Evans being able to make millions from the taxman by losing millions elsewhere."

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 22:07 - Jun 22 with 2856 viewsSwansea_Blue

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 21:50 - Jun 22 by wkj

Coming Soon...

"GC20 is clearly going to be scrimping around for loans and freebies with the intention to pocket everything they can from fees we generate. ITFC is going to be nothing more than a tax write-off as they were so impressed by Marcus Evans being able to make millions from the taxman by losing millions elsewhere."

Innit. I can't believe after how much money Evans made from us that all clubs aren't following his genius business model.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 22:15 - Jun 22 with 2794 viewswkj

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 22:07 - Jun 22 by Swansea_Blue

Innit. I can't believe after how much money Evans made from us that all clubs aren't following his genius business model.

Makes you wonder how GC20 are going to cover up the Mings Millions.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 22:25 - Jun 22 with 2725 viewsChrisd

Buying big, doesn’t guarantee success. The main part of our side remains the same, which isn’t a bad thing, but we needed to add in certain areas of the pitch. Feel KM has done that without the whistles and bells and that might suit us much better than adding a couple of mega signings.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 23:45 - Jun 22 with 2374 viewsJ2BLUE

Frees and loans getting done early. Fees will likely be paid later.

The nice thing about signings now is that McKenna tells you exactly why they have come in. That should hopefully remove a lot of doubt about signings like JJ. We're working to a plan.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 03:28 - Jun 23 with 2140 viewsWestcountryblue

John-Jules, Ladapo, Jackson and Pigott all arguably have question marks over their heads, with Ladapo being the only striker on our books to recently to clock up respectable numbers at this level.
Personally, i'd be looking to move on Pigott and then go big for top striker who can pump out the numbers needed to get out of this division. Cole Stockton is a fantastic all round striker at this level that i'd love to see brought in if we are going down the cost-effective, shrewd route.
Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 04:55 - Jun 23 with 2030 viewsguenchev

One can imagine a Pension Fund would have good chunk of their assets in the stock market. And the stock market being down 20-30% probably makes them cautious with their other investments. Just a thought.
Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 06:18 - Jun 23 with 1886 viewsdirtyboy

Seems to me like we’re still investing in infrastructure as much as anything, putting the people and right money into training facilities and the ground to allow expansion.

This is not a group who are going to allow expenditure without a great deal of care and due diligence, whether that’s a player or a building and the benefits it will bring now or down the line.

I think everyone can see we’re being run entirely differently under GC20 and I only see positives.

JJ may not work out, but he might….all transfers regardless of fee can go one way or another as we know, but you hope for more success that failure when recruiting and mitigate that by having a good team and manager bringing those in.
Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 07:13 - Jun 23 with 1713 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Clever signings, deffo.
I hope we see Pigott sold soon, and one (or two) more strikers come in.
Although KJ was a revelation under MkcK, I can see him being used more on the wide left as a 10 to really stretch and outpace the oppo right side of defence, and putting balls across for Ladapo and TJJ. A common problem last year was that with the pace of Burns on the right and KJ on the left, both were too far ahead of the strikers - its such a waste to outpace down the flanks and have your strikers huffing and puffing to get to the 18 yd box.
And as for Leigh, I am guessing he is our left sided Janoi. Ball is a brilliant addition of some more grit in the holding role.
Clever stuff, I can't wait.

Poll: would you rather

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 07:28 - Jun 23 with 1645 viewsBondiBlue

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 04:55 - Jun 23 by guenchev

One can imagine a Pension Fund would have good chunk of their assets in the stock market. And the stock market being down 20-30% probably makes them cautious with their other investments. Just a thought.

Interesting point. On the flip side though, might it make them less keen to invest in the stock market and more keen to invest in ITFC?

Poll: Which would you accept?

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 07:31 - Jun 23 with 1636 viewsDanTheMan

The signings to me seem decent. It's obviously not (so far) as crazy as last summer but we've brought in some players who have been very good at this level.

And honestly I'm against writing anyone off before they've kicked a ball for us.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 07:34 - Jun 23 with 1614 viewswrightsrightglove

Clever signings imo

Even last season our net transfer spend was minimal but we outlaid a lot of money on contracts. Same this year, we’ve signed players who will be on a fair old whack and also improved and extended the contracts of key players. The players who have come in will have been extensively analysed to fit the system and style of play we want to play. Last season’s transfer window was crazy out of necessity but this season it’s just about adding those quality additions.

Ball is a championship level player
Ladapo is a proven striker at this level
Leigh is a proven wing back at this level
The new lad is a bit of an unknown but will provide an option across positions

Plus there will still be more to come, can see money being spent on a new striker and AM once Pigott is out the door
Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 08:40 - Jun 23 with 1441 viewspointofblue

I like Ladapo, Ball and Leigh but have real doubts about TJJ. Have to trust McKenna on this one but think we should have been looking at someone more proven.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 08:41 - Jun 23 with 1437 viewsbackwaywhen

Let’s walk before we run …..
Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 09:01 - Jun 23 with 1343 viewsNthQldITFC

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 08:40 - Jun 23 by pointofblue

I like Ladapo, Ball and Leigh but have real doubts about TJJ. Have to trust McKenna on this one but think we should have been looking at someone more proven.

I'd prefer to develop our own players rather than have loans on the whole, but John-Jules looks like a very good prospect to me from that 10 minute video.

I think we're all a bit nervous after last season of again not being able to find an effective number 9 out of what looked like at least three decent contenders. It was a bit of a freak coincidence in my opinion and I'm fairly confident that McKenna will get a good tune out of at least two of the three we currently have lined up (assuming Pigott goes).

I'd possibly still go for another striker though, but as I say, TJJ does look like a very good player in the making. My only concern would be (and I don't think this would happen) if a loan player were to do 80% of our number 9 role through the season at the expense of our own players, with a view to next season.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 09:08 - Jun 23 with 1316 viewschicoazul

We’ve got two players out of the league above on permanent deals. Ladapo and Bell will be two of the best paid players in this league. No we haven’t spent much in fees, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we did pay a big fee soon. I wouldn’t worry about it.
Course, if we don’t go up next season….

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 09:09 - Jun 23 with 1306 viewsDyland

Signings have been canny so far, and even to my limited football brain make sense.

The big doubt for me, notwithstanding the possibility of vital players moving on for whatever reason (Morsy e.g.), is once again going into a season with a new front line. That's not a comment on individual ability.

When was the last time we had a settled attack for two or more seasons...

Cheers MEG, not.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 09:12 - Jun 23 with 1293 viewsSteve_M

Clever signings or are we not as wealthy as we thought? on 21:05 - Jun 22 by TomTheWriter

Phil should just pin a version of this for the daily post moaning about who we've signed so far.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024