Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where are the goals coming from ? 09:40 - Jun 23 with 2736 viewsDMDC

Im really not sure. We have lost Norwood and Bonne. I really cannot see who we have brought in will improve on goals which lets face it was lacking badly last season. Jackson isnt the answer,cannot see what the fuss suddenly is with him.Yes he runs around like a headless chicken and KM seems to like that but he has done that before and has mainly been meh for the best part of 4 years.
Ladapo lve watched on and off for 2 years as was working in Yorkshire. He is a very sulky guy, if he isnt getting fed the ball he stands around for entire games,if he isnt in the team he sulks. He is not the all action guy some seem to think he is. He goes missing a lot.
The youngster from Arsenal is just a punt,lets face it. His goal scoring record is virtually non existent and he doesnt have a lot of experience in first teams on a regular basis. He will be lucky to get 4 goals.
Then there is Pigott,who has been woeful. A traffic cone does more on the pitch than the guy has managed.
l know l will get marked down but l just cannot see where enough goals are coming from. We couldnt score last season l really fail to see where all these extra goals are coming from this season. Not from Leigh or Ball,the latter being an excellent player though.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:43 - Jun 23 with 1752 viewsStokieBlue

Jackson was very good under McKenna last season both in goals and assists per game. Nothing like pushing a narrative which wasn't even right 3 years ago when he was outperforming Norwood in goals plus assists.

Why would you be worried about losing Norwood and Bonne if goals were lacking last season? Both missed a number of sitters which contributes to the lack of goals.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:43 - Jun 23 with 1732 viewsBiGDonnie

You'll be fine, you've got Pukki.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:45 - Jun 23 with 1717 viewsDMDC

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:43 - Jun 23 by BiGDonnie

You'll be fine, you've got Pukki.

I knew ld get strange comments,but come on, lve been a Town fan for near on 45 years. Just being honest, l cannot see the goals there.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:46 - Jun 23 with 1714 viewsSTYG

What is is about Ladapo's average of 14 goals a season over the last 4 years in League One and the Championship that make you think he can't replace the massive hole left by Norwood, who got four in the second half of the season or the solitary goal than Bonne got a Gillingham with a one yard tap in?

This is a manager that turned a completely useless, free to leave Kayden Jackson into a 3 goals and 2 assists in 6 games or something because he fitted the system. He's now got a proven League One striker and a very highly rated youngster on loan who also fit the system and it's impossible to imagine them being better than the 5 goals Bonne and Norwood got in a combined 40 or so games from McKenna onwards?

Not to mention it is JUNE and we have 5-6 weeks before the season starts to likely bring in a marquee signing of a striker.

Okaaaaaaaaaaaay.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 9:51]
Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:47 - Jun 23 with 1691 viewsDMDC

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:43 - Jun 23 by StokieBlue

Jackson was very good under McKenna last season both in goals and assists per game. Nothing like pushing a narrative which wasn't even right 3 years ago when he was outperforming Norwood in goals plus assists.

Why would you be worried about losing Norwood and Bonne if goals were lacking last season? Both missed a number of sitters which contributes to the lack of goals.

SB

l believe there were around 20 goals from Norwood and Bonne, l honestly cannot see goals in the strikers we have at this moment. Jackson had one half decent season with Norwood up top by the way. Apart from that nothing.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:48 - Jun 23 with 1673 viewsSTYG

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:45 - Jun 23 by DMDC

I knew ld get strange comments,but come on, lve been a Town fan for near on 45 years. Just being honest, l cannot see the goals there.

Yeah boy.

45 years and you've posted twice on the forum. This opinion, which shows little in the way of understanding of the club outside what say a Norwich fan might know. Plus a post suggesting we go for ex-Norwich player Mark Robins as manager.

Not the most compelling evidence.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:51 - Jun 23 with 1661 viewsSTYG

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:47 - Jun 23 by DMDC

l believe there were around 20 goals from Norwood and Bonne, l honestly cannot see goals in the strikers we have at this moment. Jackson had one half decent season with Norwood up top by the way. Apart from that nothing.

Doesn't matter how many goals Bonne scored under Cook in a different system.

He scored 1 in 23 under McKenna and that was a yard out. Norwood scored 4 in 4 and then went about 15 games without one before a header at Shrewsbury.

So you're worried we can't replace a player that went 15 games without a goal and another who went something like 19 games without a goal. In a McKenna system where every other player thrived apart from strikers not suited to the role.

You know, ones like Ladapo, Jackson and John-Jules.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:53 - Jun 23 with 1639 viewspointofblue

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:48 - Jun 23 by STYG

Yeah boy.

45 years and you've posted twice on the forum. This opinion, which shows little in the way of understanding of the club outside what say a Norwich fan might know. Plus a post suggesting we go for ex-Norwich player Mark Robins as manager.

Not completely wrong though. Ladapo I’m fine with but I would’ve hoped we’d aimed higher than John-Jules, who has had more than one opportunity at this level and not really taken it. Perhaps this will be his breakthrough season but he’s a gamble and can we afford to take one of those? I guess we’ll know either way by Christmas.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:53 - Jun 23 with 1639 viewsDMDC

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:46 - Jun 23 by STYG

What is is about Ladapo's average of 14 goals a season over the last 4 years in League One and the Championship that make you think he can't replace the massive hole left by Norwood, who got four in the second half of the season or the solitary goal than Bonne got a Gillingham with a one yard tap in?

This is a manager that turned a completely useless, free to leave Kayden Jackson into a 3 goals and 2 assists in 6 games or something because he fitted the system. He's now got a proven League One striker and a very highly rated youngster on loan who also fit the system and it's impossible to imagine them being better than the 5 goals Bonne and Norwood got in a combined 40 or so games from McKenna onwards?

Not to mention it is JUNE and we have 5-6 weeks before the season starts to likely bring in a marquee signing of a striker.

Okaaaaaaaaaaaay.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 9:51]

Ive watched Ladapo, you will find out what l mean. He really isnt what people think.
I dont want a marquee signing, god knows where that word has even come from over the last couple of years on this site.Im not sure what you even mean by it to be honest.We are a third division club, we arnt getting any names in.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:55 - Jun 23 with 1617 viewsDMDC

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:48 - Jun 23 by STYG

Yeah boy.

30 years a season ticket holder at PR too, so please dont keep telling me who or what l am....................boy !
Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:57 - Jun 23 with 1585 viewswrightsrightglove

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:53 - Jun 23 by pointofblue

Not completely wrong though. Ladapo I’m fine with but I would’ve hoped we’d aimed higher than John-Jules, who has had more than one opportunity at this level and not really taken it. Perhaps this will be his breakthrough season but he’s a gamble and can we afford to take one of those? I guess we’ll know either way by Christmas.

I think it’s a gamble we can afford to take, 5 subs from the bench this season and he’s on loan so minimal fee / wages presumed and if he’s not good enough or on form then he won’t play. Seems very low risk to me, if he was coming in as our number 1 striker then I would understand the trepidation but that’s not the case. Can see Pigott moving on and 1 more being brought in which should have us well stocked in this area.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:58 - Jun 23 with 1572 viewsGuthrum

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:47 - Jun 23 by DMDC

Bonne scored 12 in the League, three-quarters of those in a two-month period between 21st August and 19th October and, as others have pointed out, only one after 2nd November.

Norwood scored six in the League, two thirds of those in a five-game burst (inc. an FA Cup fixture) between 11th December and 8th January.

Hardly smooth and consistent delivery. We need strikers who can score throughout the season. The new players don't need to get much more than one goal a month to exceed even Bonne's total.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

It's June 23rd on 10:00 - Jun 23 with 1532 viewsBobbychase

So I expect they will come from our current players and others we will sign in the (checks calendar) FIVE WEEKS before the season starts.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

It's June 23rd on 10:04 - Jun 23 with 1493 viewsGuthrum

It's June 23rd on 10:00 - Jun 23 by Bobbychase

So I expect they will come from our current players and others we will sign in the (checks calendar) FIVE WEEKS before the season starts.

Plus about the same again before the transfer window actually closes on 1st September. Not ideal to recruit after the start of the season, but a lot of business is done then as unwanted players look for a new home.

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:04 - Jun 23 with 1489 viewsDMDC

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:58 - Jun 23 by Guthrum

Bonne scored 12 in the League, three-quarters of those in a two-month period between 21st August and 19th October and, as others have pointed out, only one after 2nd November.

Norwood scored six in the League, two thirds of those in a five-game burst (inc. an FA Cup fixture) between 11th December and 8th January.

Hardly smooth and consistent delivery. We need strikers who can score throughout the season. The new players don't need to get much more than one goal a month to exceed even Bonne's total.

l hope you are right, really do, but l cannot see 2 strikers getting into double figures from what we have at the moment.Having said that it was not all the strikers faults, we didnt create enough for them to feed on neither. Have we addressed that ? Im not sure we have ? Queue old matey to accuse me of being a Scum supporter again !
Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:09 - Jun 23 with 1436 viewsSTYG

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:53 - Jun 23 by pointofblue

I think there's an argument to be had over being concerned when signing players of 25-26 that haven't done much in their careers.

John-Jules is 21!

Spurs loaned a striker out when he was 18-19 years old and he scored 5 in 18 at Leyton Orient, 7 in 22 at Millwall, then 0 in 3 for Norwich and 2 in 13 for Leicester. I have family that have Spurs season tickets and have done since the 80's. They ALL said Kane was gash and may as well leave.

He ended up averaging over 20 goals a season in the Premier League in the next eight seasons and will likely end up the greatest striker the Premier League has seen and England's record scorer of all time.

Yet our fans will have you believe that other players can't possibly develop into a decent League One striker!
Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:10 - Jun 23 with 1418 viewsBiGDonnie

So you're writing off two new strikers before we've even played a friendly game? One with a good record at this level and a youngster with serious potential?

Come on mate, stop posting silliness.

COYBs

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:11 - Jun 23 with 1401 viewspointofblue

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:57 - Jun 23 by wrightsrightglove

I think it’s a gamble we can afford to take, 5 subs from the bench this season and he’s on loan so minimal fee / wages presumed and if he’s not good enough or on form then he won’t play. Seems very low risk to me, if he was coming in as our number 1 striker then I would understand the trepidation but that’s not the case. Can see Pigott moving on and 1 more being brought in which should have us well stocked in this area.

I think we’ll find it very difficult to move Pigott on unless we take the financial hit on the transfer or loan. Definitely will be happier with one more in, a proven striker at this level, but finances might be an issue. Would have preferred to pool our resources and go for a proven striker rather than TJJ plus one who we now have less to spend on.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:11 - Jun 23 with 1393 viewsWallingford_Boy

Jacko!!

He is a goal machine!!

I am hoping this is Ben Morris' year, most natural goalscorer we have.

RIP Sir Bobby

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:11 - Jun 23 with 1397 viewsGuthrum

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:04 - Jun 23 by DMDC

l hope you are right, really do, but l cannot see 2 strikers getting into double figures from what we have at the moment.Having said that it was not all the strikers faults, we didnt create enough for them to feed on neither. Have we addressed that ? Im not sure we have ? Queue old matey to accuse me of being a Scum supporter again !

We only just scraped one striker into double figures last season (Burns being the only other player to exceed ten in the League, tho Chaplin came close).

From my watching of games - particularly since the arrival of McKenna - the problem was not failing to feed the strikers, but that players (including forwards) were reluctant to shoot when in front of the box, always moving the ball out wide for that perfect cross-and-header/tap-in combination. Which didn't work because the few bodies in the box were crowded out by defenders, attempts went wide or didn't have the power to get past the 'keeper.

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:11 - Jun 23 with 1392 viewsSTYG

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:55 - Jun 23 by DMDC

30 years a season ticket holder at PR too, so please dont keep telling me who or what l am....................boy !

At this point I can only conclude that DMDC stands for Doesn't Matter (Definitely Canary).

30 years is a nice convenient round number too. Boy.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:17 - Jun 23 with 1313 viewsnoggin

But you're concerned about losing Norwood and Bonne?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:17 - Jun 23 with 1295 viewsBiGDonnie

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:11 - Jun 23 by STYG

At this point I can only conclude that DMDC stands for Doesn't Matter (Definitely Canary).

30 years is a nice convenient round number too. Boy.

He's p*ssed off his lot have got to face Bale at Cardiff first game of the season!

Unluckyyyyyyyyyyyy

COYBs

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:18 - Jun 23 with 1298 viewsDarth_Koont

Pigott.

Slightly tongue in cheek given he’s had a real season to forget. But it might be him.

There were deeper problems with our attack last season, bar the Burns/Donacien combo that masked a lot throughout and the early Bonne flurry that seemed to push us in the wrong direction ultimately.

But overall our attack stuttered throughout. Someone like Pigott wasn’t part of the problem either as it was largely the same with the other central strikers. It was too few games to go on but a change in style with Jackson better able to play wide and threaten with his pace/crossing made us look a lot better.

McKenna certainly has a few new players to try out but the most important thing is that he probably will have been recruiting knowing it’s a system issue rather than anything else. And new players, (the new strikers but also Leigh further back and Ball releasing Morsy further forwards perhaps) should give him a few better options to get that right.

And I’d like to see how Pigott would do in an otherwise functioning attack. He might not get that chance but we all had pretty much no idea Jackson was even an option last season – and now we’ve seen his transformation from playing the wrong role in the wrong team.

Pronouns: He/Him

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:18 - Jun 23 with 1288 viewscressi

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:51 - Jun 23 by STYG

Doesn't matter how many goals Bonne scored under Cook in a different system.

He scored 1 in 23 under McKenna and that was a yard out. Norwood scored 4 in 4 and then went about 15 games without one before a header at Shrewsbury.

So you're worried we can't replace a player that went 15 games without a goal and another who went something like 19 games without a goal. In a McKenna system where every other player thrived apart from strikers not suited to the role.

You know, ones like Ladapo, Jackson and John-Jules.

I'm ipswich through and through but I'm a little concerned But the transfer window has a long way to go. But I think we need another reliable goal scorer in. I know little about Greg Leigh and he may turn out superb its wait and see money signings always turn up later in window.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024