Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? 13:46 - Jun 23 with 2482 viewsgiant_stow

No worries if not, but I now accidently have 7 or 8 good food lovers coming over on Saturday to mine and am stumped on what to provide. The limitations of the brief are:

- My main oven is broken - I only have a crap small low powered top oven
- My table only sits 4, so its eat on laps / buffet style
- I can't really cook
- I'll have to cook as much as poss in advance, as I don't want to be in the kitchen much when they're here.

...So all told, simple is king

I only ask as I know this place is crawling with food lovers and bod what can cook innit.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 13:48 - Jun 23 with 1254 viewsZx1988

Are they expecting anything really top-end, or is it just some chums coming for some grub, and the fact that they are foodies is broadly by the by?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 13:50 - Jun 23 with 1226 viewsDanTheMan

Could do something slow cooked, maybe a chilli?

Honestly I'd just go with takeaway given all the criteria.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 13:51 - Jun 23 with 1219 viewsZx1988

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 13:50 - Jun 23 by DanTheMan

Could do something slow cooked, maybe a chilli?

Honestly I'd just go with takeaway given all the criteria.

Seconded on chilli. Quick and easy to put together, and then you can just leave it until needed.

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:01 - Jun 23 with 1188 viewsIllinoisblue

How do you accidentally have 8 people coming over for dinner?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:02 - Jun 23 with 1187 viewsStokieBlue

Just get 8 Waitrose microwave meals and then pass them off as your own like that person did on Come Dine With Me.

They won as well I believe.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:04 - Jun 23 with 1176 viewsGeoffSentence

Bangers and Mash. I believe that passes as posh food these days.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:06 - Jun 23 with 1165 viewsMookamoo

Fajatas or Tacos are always good. Assuming you have somewhere (the kitchen) for people to construct them, they're good to have your lap, plus you can cater for all dietary needs by getting them to make their own.

Do some fresh guacamole, get plenty of fresh veg which you can chop up and advance and buy a few nice chilli sauces.

Fish tacos are easy. Get to a market on Saturday morning and get some good, fresh fish. All you have to do is chop, it up, dust the chunks a bit of flour and flash fry it - takes a few mins. If they are food lovers they will just appreciate the good ingredients.

Few tortillas and salsa on the side -maybe homemade if you can bothered.
Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:15 - Jun 23 with 1152 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 13:48 - Jun 23 by Zx1988

Are they expecting anything really top-end, or is it just some chums coming for some grub, and the fact that they are foodies is broadly by the by?

Not top end - they know me! Edible would do.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:15 - Jun 23 with 1152 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:01 - Jun 23 by Illinoisblue

How do you accidentally have 8 people coming over for dinner?

My mates have been pressuring me into inviting them over and I finally gave in when drunk last weekend. I've put it off for the reasons above!

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:16 - Jun 23 with 1146 viewsZx1988

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:15 - Jun 23 by giant_stow

Not top end - they know me! Edible would do.

Definitely something in a Mexican-style mould then - be it chilli, tacos, fajitas, or whatever you fancy.

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:16 - Jun 23 with 1143 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:06 - Jun 23 by Mookamoo

Fajatas or Tacos are always good. Assuming you have somewhere (the kitchen) for people to construct them, they're good to have your lap, plus you can cater for all dietary needs by getting them to make their own.

Do some fresh guacamole, get plenty of fresh veg which you can chop up and advance and buy a few nice chilli sauces.

Fish tacos are easy. Get to a market on Saturday morning and get some good, fresh fish. All you have to do is chop, it up, dust the chunks a bit of flour and flash fry it - takes a few mins. If they are food lovers they will just appreciate the good ingredients.

Few tortillas and salsa on the side -maybe homemade if you can bothered.

I like the bangers and mash option, but if I'm feeling brave, yours seems the go to! Cheers!

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:16 - Jun 23 with 1142 viewsJ2BLUE

Last time this happened, wasn’t one veggie or vegan?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:18 - Jun 23 with 1140 viewsLord_Lucan

I suggest either a chilli or meatballs

I have killer recipes for both - if you would like me to email them over PM me your email address

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:19 - Jun 23 with 1138 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:16 - Jun 23 by J2BLUE

Last time this happened, wasn’t one veggie or vegan?

Yeah mrs ullaa is veggie - I'll let her nibble on weeds outside.

(She might eat a bit of fish on special occasions).

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:22 - Jun 23 with 1117 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:18 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

I suggest either a chilli or meatballs

I have killer recipes for both - if you would like me to email them over PM me your email address

pm-ed.

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:26 - Jun 23 with 1109 viewsGuthrum

Salad, with potato salad (really easy to make) and something interesting to go on top, like pieces of chicken with satay sauce (again quite easy to make), or (going old-school) prawns in marie-rose.

Minimal on-the-day cooking and matches the hot weather.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:28 - Jun 23 with 1091 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:19 - Jun 23 by giant_stow

Sounds like you’ve struck gold there mate.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:29 - Jun 23 with 1089 viewsSwansea_Blue

I read that as 7 or 8 good lovers, and was wondering why the rest of the family aren't coming

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:29 - Jun 23 with 1086 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:26 - Jun 23 by Guthrum

Salad, with potato salad (really easy to make) and something interesting to go on top, like pieces of chicken with satay sauce (again quite easy to make), or (going old-school) prawns in marie-rose.

Seriously thanks to you and all. I now have some options where previously I was blank !

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:31 - Jun 23 with 1078 viewsmylittletown

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:26 - Jun 23 by Guthrum

As above.
Semi-buffet with a bowl of chilli, a bowl of rice (microwaved in the packet). You can make guacamole, tomato salsa and a bowl of grated cheese in advance. You could even buy a couple of tins of refried beans and heat them up.
Job done.
Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:33 - Jun 23 with 1068 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:19 - Jun 23 by giant_stow

If she'll nibble at a bit of fish, what about a whole salmon? Cook it the morning of and let it cool, have it with a bunch of different salads buffet style. People can dig in an perch in whatever space they can find (outside if you've got anywhere to sit and the weather's good). Ask the mrs to come up with some interesting veggie salad recipes too. Can all be prepared beforehand and just covered in foil/cling film 5 mins before you're ready. Job done.

Edit - balls oven broken probably rules this out. Ask a neighbour to cook it for you lol.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 14:34]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:59 - Jun 23 with 1005 viewsIllinoisblue

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:15 - Jun 23 by giant_stow

My mates have been pressuring me into inviting them over and I finally gave in when drunk last weekend. I've put it off for the reasons above!

What kind of middle class hellscape are you trapped in? “Oh, Rupert we must get together for a dinner party at Ulla’s. Yeah, super.”

Sack it off, get down the pub for a few sherbets and hit up the kebab shop on the way home.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:01 - Jun 23 with 994 viewshype313

Deliveroo.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:02 - Jun 23 with 990 viewsPendejo

Sounds like a job for The Colonel...

Is the weather due to be good? Garden, or if like me you don't have one, local park.
Why push about preparing when someone else can do it for you. Add in beans, corn and salad for non-meat eating freaks.

Finger kicking' good.... All 12 of em

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:04 - Jun 23 with 986 viewsParsley

Sounds like an ideal excuse for a barbeque if the weather's decent
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024