Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dieselgate 15:50 - Jun 23 with 1076 viewsOldsmoker

I see that VW is to compensate some 90,000 motorists in the UK who bought their diesel cars from VW. What is this compensation for? How are these motorists out of pocket? Is DVLA going to retrospectively charge each motorist because their road tax was underpaid? They were in the wrong category as obviously their engine kicked out a lot of pollution, well over the limit of the category they were placed in. If not, then they are being rewarded for polluting the planet. Us petrol heads aren't being compensated for abiding by the rules (although we pollute the planet too).
Anyone know.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Dieselgate on 15:58 - Jun 23 with 1026 viewsKievthegreat

The cars were fixed such that they didn't cheat emissions rules. This reduced their fuel economy, increasing ownership costs, plus it hurt their resale value I believe.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/business/autocar-test-shows-worse-economy-aft
Dieselgate on 16:19 - Jun 23 with 969 viewsronnyd

Now the PPE compensation scheme has disappeared, the on line solicitors are now turning their greedy eyes to diesel cheat claims now.
Getting my PPI & PPEs mixed up i think.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 17:05]
Dieselgate on 16:28 - Jun 23 with 957 viewsOldsmoker

Dieselgate on 16:19 - Jun 23 by ronnyd

Now the PPE compensation scheme has disappeared, the on line solicitors are now turning their greedy eyes to diesel cheat claims now.
Getting my PPI & PPEs mixed up i think.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 17:05]

Fraud is a clear example of where the private sector is way better than the public sector.
So they're after people who tried to defraud VW, a private company, for a few thousand.
Defrauding the UK government (public sector) for billions under the Covid PPE supply scheme and you get away with it.

Dieselgate on 20:46 - Jun 23 with 805 viewsfactual_blue

Dieselgate on 16:28 - Jun 23 by Oldsmoker

Fraud is a clear example of where the private sector is way better than the public sector.
So they're after people who tried to defraud VW, a private company, for a few thousand.
Defrauding the UK government (public sector) for billions under the Covid PPE supply scheme and you get away with it.

Strange how a subset of the People Who Are Ideologically Opposed To High Taxation are The People Who Happily Defraud The Public Sector, thereby contributing significantly to the Higher Taxes They Don't Like.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Dieselgate on 08:33 - Jun 24 with 713 viewsBbmaj

Reduction in resale value. Reduced performance after “fix” was applied. Increased unreliability or maintenance costs after “fix” was applied. Vehicle not as economical as claimed at point of sale. Vehicle more polluting than claimed at point of sale.

The compensation amount depended on which, or how many boxes were ticked.

Hope that helps.
Dieselgate on 10:03 - Jun 24 with 666 viewsOldsmoker

Dieselgate on 08:33 - Jun 24 by Bbmaj

Reduction in resale value. Reduced performance after “fix” was applied. Increased unreliability or maintenance costs after “fix” was applied. Vehicle not as economical as claimed at point of sale. Vehicle more polluting than claimed at point of sale.

The compensation amount depended on which, or how many boxes were ticked.

Hope that helps.

It does help.
As a court have found in favour of the motorists I'm not saying they don't deserve it.
However, those motorists did underpay the vehicle duty because the DVLA put them in a lower emissions group based on the incorrect data.

Dieselgate on 12:34 - Jun 24 with 594 viewsKievthegreat

Dieselgate on 10:03 - Jun 24 by Oldsmoker

It does help.
As a court have found in favour of the motorists I'm not saying they don't deserve it.
However, those motorists did underpay the vehicle duty because the DVLA put them in a lower emissions group based on the incorrect data.

The motorists in good faith bought a car which was stated to cost a certain amount to run and tax. It seems nonsensical that they should be in anyway punished. It seems to me if you're looking for a just conclusion, that you punish the perpetrators rather than their unwitting victims.

I also think we shouldn't call it incorrect data. If I make a typo and transpose 2 digits, that's incorrect data. A more accurate and appropriate term for the VW data is something along the lines of falsified, deceptive or fraudulent data. It was deliberately and knowingly gathered to break established rules.
Dieselgate on 15:50 - Jun 24 with 529 viewsOldsmoker

Dieselgate on 12:34 - Jun 24 by Kievthegreat

The motorists in good faith bought a car which was stated to cost a certain amount to run and tax. It seems nonsensical that they should be in anyway punished. It seems to me if you're looking for a just conclusion, that you punish the perpetrators rather than their unwitting victims.

I also think we shouldn't call it incorrect data. If I make a typo and transpose 2 digits, that's incorrect data. A more accurate and appropriate term for the VW data is something along the lines of falsified, deceptive or fraudulent data. It was deliberately and knowingly gathered to break established rules.

I agree that it would be a dastardly thing to do - tell the diesel owners to cough up some extra cash.
It would make the Tories even more unpopular if they told the DVLA to do it, so I doubt it will happen.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024