Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some other good news today: Red Kites 07:18 - Jun 24 with 805 viewsSteve_M

The UK has been so successful at supporting the Red Kite that some are being taken to Spain to help the population there sustain itself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61903943

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 08:16 - Jun 24 with 714 viewsclive_baker

Saw one in my garden a couple of weeks ago.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 08:19 - Jun 24 with 697 viewsDubtractor

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 08:16 - Jun 24 by clive_baker

Saw one in my garden a couple of weeks ago.

I saw one on a bike ride through Rendlesham forest last summer. majestic birds.

Related, I saw a huge barn own swooping around fields near Tuddenham whilst on my road bike the other day too.

In summary, birds are great. Both sorts etc.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 08:20 - Jun 24 with 682 viewsDanTheMan

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 08:19 - Jun 24 by Dubtractor

Related, I saw a huge barn own swooping around fields near Tuddenham whilst on my road bike the other day too.

Last year I saw a Sea Eagle around Grantham. Absolutely enormous.

Unfortunately I was in a car so only saw it for a few seconds.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 08:24 - Jun 24 with 675 viewsElephantintheRoom

Not necessarily good news as the startling proliferation of red kites (and buzzards) is for a reason - and is ousting other birds, particularly kestrels.

Having roads heaped with bodies of dead wildlife including a high percentage of the 50 million pheasants thrown into the landscape appear to have something to do with it

Spain and France have flourishing black kite and black-winged kite populations, not to mention every other raptor apart from the red kite - oh and ospreys which fly straight over huge continental waterways to enjoy a bit of persecution in the UK and Northern Europe

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 09:14 - Jun 24 with 624 viewsADStephenson

I'll say! We get loads of kites near us (between MK and Northampton), but I've never seen one riding a bike!

www.adstephenson.com

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 09:36 - Jun 24 with 597 viewsjontysnut

Loads around Leeds from when they were reintroduced at Harewood House. Interesting to watch some of the local hardnut gulls, rooks etc ganging up to drive them away.
Some other good news today: Red Kites on 09:40 - Jun 24 with 589 viewsGeoffSentence

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 08:24 - Jun 24 by ElephantintheRoom

Not necessarily good news as the startling proliferation of red kites (and buzzards) is for a reason - and is ousting other birds, particularly kestrels.

Having roads heaped with bodies of dead wildlife including a high percentage of the 50 million pheasants thrown into the landscape appear to have something to do with it

Spain and France have flourishing black kite and black-winged kite populations, not to mention every other raptor apart from the red kite - oh and ospreys which fly straight over huge continental waterways to enjoy a bit of persecution in the UK and Northern Europe

whether that is true or not about the impact on kestrels I do not know. Assuming it is then you could also look at it as kestrels having benefited from the absence of Red Kites. They are both a natural part of our environment and I am glad to see both of them in fields and lanes of the Ipswich-Shotley_Sudbury Golden Triangle.

I agree with you about pheasants, breeding them and letting them go feral in competition with natural wildlife is an act of environmental vandalism that is purely for the benefit of a small minority of people who enjoy shooting.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 09:41 - Jun 24 with 588 viewsBarcaBlue

Our country is already full of red kites...coming over here, taking our carrion.
Login to get fewer ads

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 09:42 - Jun 24 with 586 viewschicoazul

I certainly shall not be celebrating these Marxist Leninist birds thank you.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 10:10 - Jun 24 with 565 viewsDubtractor

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 09:14 - Jun 24 by ADStephenson

I'll say! We get loads of kites near us (between MK and Northampton), but I've never seen one riding a bike!

Ha.

The daft thing is that I edited the second paragraph as it read as though the owl was riding a bike, yet overlooked the first error!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 10:14 - Jun 24 with 553 viewsBlueandTruesince82

See loads up and down the M40 corridor, south bucks areas and making their way right up the country, its been really successful

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 11:43 - Jun 24 with 479 viewsElephantintheRoom

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 09:40 - Jun 24 by GeoffSentence

whether that is true or not about the impact on kestrels I do not know. Assuming it is then you could also look at it as kestrels having benefited from the absence of Red Kites. They are both a natural part of our environment and I am glad to see both of them in fields and lanes of the Ipswich-Shotley_Sudbury Golden Triangle.

I agree with you about pheasants, breeding them and letting them go feral in competition with natural wildlife is an act of environmental vandalism that is purely for the benefit of a small minority of people who enjoy shooting.

They seem to have little competition as carrion feeders in the UK. In Spain and France there are other kite species not to mention sundry eagles and vultures for them to contend with. You might soon have the black winged kite joining you in the UK. A citizen of Africa and the Middle East until recently, this rather striking bird now overwinters in France right up to near Calais. We have a nesting pair and a pair of black kites which are still resolutely migratory.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Some other good news today: Red Kites on 12:20 - Jun 24 with 445 viewsfarkenhell

Agreed. Apart from pigeons, which seem to enjoy covering my patio with creosote-coated bucket-sized droppings.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024