Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Tories Bill to replace the Human Rights Act 09:06 - Jun 25 with 809 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Removal of Rights Bill - Write to your MP. Here is a communication I have received from Humanists UK

As you may have seen in the news, the Justice Minister has published his so-called ‘Bill of Rights’ — or to give it a more accurate name, the Rights Removal Bill. In January Humanists UK wrote to members and supporters about this and explained that ‘if successful, the Government’s plans will devastate our campaigning work.’ Today our worst fears have come true: those plans are now draft legislation. This Bill is set to remove a major human rights protection for non-religious people. Can you help us campaign against this by writing to your MP?
Why do I say this is so bad? This is a bit technical so bear with me…
In our campaigning we often argue that a law violates the human rights of non-religious people. This is usually because it’s an old law that only focuses on religion or religious people. When a public body or a judge agrees with us, they have the power to re-interpret the law to include the non-religious too. In effect a judge can change the meaning of the law to take us into account. And it’s the Human Rights Act that gives them this power.
This is what happened in 2018 when we secured legal recognition of humanist marriages in Northern Ireland, and in 2015 when we secured the ruling that humanism had to be included in RE, and in countless instances where we’ve won equality for the non-religious without having to go to court.
We use this bit of the Human Rights Act in almost all of our campaigns. In fact, practically every right enjoyed by non-religious people - be that to equal treatment, or freedom of expression, or freedom of belief - depends on this fundamental bit of law.
Today, the Government has announced its ‘Bill of Rights’. As part of that, it intends to remove this aspect of the Human Rights Act. This would strip away the legal basis by which we can fight for equality for the non-religious and would set us back hugely: on marriage law, on faith schools, on the school curriculum, in relation to our celebrancy and pastoral care services, and even things like local Remembrance services and Thought for the Day. It would surrender power to traditionalists and anti-humanist forces, giving new meaning to the idea of a ‘Christian Britain’ in law and policy.
Many MPs will not be aware of the impact of these reforms upon non-religious people. So we need your help to make sure they know what the problem is. Will you write to your MP? We have prepared a template letter that you can send directly to your MP.

https://humanists.uk/what-you-can-do-to-help/protect-the-rights-of-the-non-relig

If you think the non-religious should have the same rights as the religious, please write to your MP. Cheers, LotP.

Poll: would you rather

The Tories Bill to replace the Human Rights Act on 10:09 - Jun 25 with 701 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

For anyone downvoting and thus doesn't agree that the non-religious should have the same rights as the religious, I would be fascinated to her your reasoning.

Poll: would you rather

The Tories Bill to replace the Human Rights Act on 12:45 - Jun 25 with 625 viewsBlueBadger

Sorry, fat fingers. Consider this post an uppie.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Tories Bill to replace the Human Rights Act on 13:08 - Jun 25 with 588 viewsfactual_blue

The Tories Bill to replace the Human Rights Act on 12:45 - Jun 25 by BlueBadger

No need to call Legendofthephoenix 'fat fingers'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The Tories Bill to replace the Human Rights Act on 13:19 - Jun 25 with 572 viewsBogblue

The Tories Bill to replace the Human Rights Act on 12:45 - Jun 25 by BlueBadger

Same here!
The Tories Bill to replace the Human Rights Act on 14:12 - Jun 25 with 512 viewsjaykay

The Tories Bill to replace the Human Rights Act on 13:19 - Jun 25 by Bogblue

Same here!

so one poster hasn't a fat finger

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

The Tories Bill to replace the Human Rights Act on 14:46 - Jun 25 with 482 viewsSwansea_Blue

Quite why anyone would want fewer rights is beyond me. How can anyone support such a bill?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Tories Bill to replace the Human Rights Act on 14:52 - Jun 25 with 474 viewsjeera

The Tories Bill to replace the Human Rights Act on 14:46 - Jun 25 by Swansea_Blue

Quite why anyone would want fewer rights is beyond me. How can anyone support such a bill?

Because people opposing things like Human Rights seem to think it's something invented to give special protection to anyone different to them.

Be it ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation and in this case religion.

They don't realise it applies to them too and looking at the state of this it soon won't.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The Tories Bill to replace the Human Rights Act on 15:44 - Jun 25 with 420 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Certainly not worth a downvote but this is not just a "non-religious rights" issue specifically. There are plenty of human rights relating to religious belief and issues that are nothing to do with belief at all that are protected through the Human Rights Act and I am quite sure the new legislation is designed to weaken rights for minorities and the vulnerable all round (under the banner of stopping liberal leftiness).

Regardless of whether you agree with Humanism, a specific religious belief or just the rights of individuals to be free from unfair discrimination, oppose this change!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024