Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Don't think we will be signing Celina 10:18 - Jun 25 with 4318 viewsGlasgowBlue

With Jackson getting a new contract and the signing of John Jules and Ladapo, I think KM wants to play with 3 pacey forwards rather than one up top with 2 number tens.

Thoughts anyone?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:25 - Jun 25 with 2904 viewsBobsthename

I’m still struggling to think where the goals are going to come from,Jackson might chip in with maybe 10 if injury free,Lapado should get 15 plus ,John Jules 6 goals in 37 appearances to date that’s not enough in my eyes maybe Chappers will help 10 or so it’s a hard to figure it out.
Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:33 - Jun 25 with 2866 viewscbower

You could be right. He has two number 10s in Chaplin and Aluko. Where does Edwards fit in too? Harper is contracted for a few years and will be tough to move on right now. Humphreys and Chirewa are lurking with seemingly bags of potential. I love Bersant and he should be playing higher than L1. I can't see us bringing him back on loan (or permanent), it's just going to be a financial step too far. Offload Pigott and Harper fot £500,000 the pair and that might cover the loan fee but the same again for his wages and at the end of it he is not our player!

bluescouser

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:35 - Jun 25 with 2858 viewsEly_Blue

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:25 - Jun 25 by Bobsthename

I’m still struggling to think where the goals are going to come from,Jackson might chip in with maybe 10 if injury free,Lapado should get 15 plus ,John Jules 6 goals in 37 appearances to date that’s not enough in my eyes maybe Chappers will help 10 or so it’s a hard to figure it out.

Surely that is the best way to play, look at Man City & to a lesser extent Liverpool, with City and them having no “main man” who do you try and mark out of the game when you have so many options?

Last year we became a little predictable trying to get it to a striker who was both out of form 2nd half of the season and then marked out of many games

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:39 - Jun 25 with 2822 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

my guess is that it depends on wages - Celina was reported to be on twice the wages of our next highest earner. That can't be good for the dressing room. Plus I am guessing KJ will be used more as wide left than out and out striker, I reckon the plan is that he outpaces the oppo RB, and mostly whips balls in for Ladapo and TJJ to race onto. That plays more to KJs strengths. Celina would always be a great option to have if we want to mix it up, but only if his wages are at the same level as everyone else.

Poll: would you rather

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:40 - Jun 25 with 2797 viewsFrimleyBlue

I don't see Celina being one of KMs main targets. Despite others opinions, Celina isn't 100% perfect and KM touched on this during the season, and I don't personally think his whole game suits KM ball as sometimes he can slow things down. But if the option is there and we have our main targets I could see another loan happening later in the window.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:43 - Jun 25 with 2792 viewsSouthfieldsBlue

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:35 - Jun 25 by Ely_Blue

Surely that is the best way to play, look at Man City & to a lesser extent Liverpool, with City and them having no “main man” who do you try and mark out of the game when you have so many options?

Last year we became a little predictable trying to get it to a striker who was both out of form 2nd half of the season and then marked out of many games

This lack of goals thing has always bemused me, you can you get to pretty high numbers with fairly Conservatove estimates for a lot of players.

Ladapo 15
Burns 12
Jackson 10
Chaplin 10
John-Jules 5
Morsy 5
Aluko 5
Leigh 4
Evans 3
Edmundson 2
Wolfenden 2

This is before considering getting another striker or attacking midfielder, and doesn't include everyone who scored last season who is still on the books. And it still gets us comfortably to about 70 goals
Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:48 - Jun 25 with 2743 viewsLeoMuff

It does feel like he isn’t coming back, but for the reputed wages he under performed last season, if he isn’t coming back then it is a shame as he could single handedly get you out of this league if he had a proper pre season.

But if the 20k per week is true then you can see how KMC might think there’s better value elsewhere…

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:48 - Jun 25 with 2729 viewsBobsthename

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:43 - Jun 25 by SouthfieldsBlue

This lack of goals thing has always bemused me, you can you get to pretty high numbers with fairly Conservatove estimates for a lot of players.

Ladapo 15
Burns 12
Jackson 10
Chaplin 10
John-Jules 5
Morsy 5
Aluko 5
Leigh 4
Evans 3
Edmundson 2
Wolfenden 2

This is before considering getting another striker or attacking midfielder, and doesn't include everyone who scored last season who is still on the books. And it still gets us comfortably to about 70 goals

Nope with what we have at the moment i would put money on they don’t get 60 goals 50 maybe.
Login to get fewer ads

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:50 - Jun 25 with 2714 viewsBobsthename

Not sure that’ll work for us but i see what you mean,i’ll be happy once we get a goal scorer in until then massive doubts for me.
Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:57 - Jun 25 with 2651 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I wonder if we had too many in that position.

I really rate Chaplin, and hope we find a system that gets the best out of him. He could easily be our key player next season.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:59 - Jun 25 with 2626 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

If the signing of Ball fee's up Morsy to get forward more, he should be contributing 10 goals a season. Like Miller or Holland.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 11:12 - Jun 25 with 2549 viewsSimonds92

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:59 - Jun 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

If the signing of Ball fee's up Morsy to get forward more, he should be contributing 10 goals a season. Like Miller or Holland.

He's absolutely not that kind of player.
Don't think we will be signing Celina on 11:20 - Jun 25 with 2509 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 11:12 - Jun 25 by Simonds92

He's absolutely not that kind of player.

Under KM he was getting into more advanced positions and being more threatening.

I'm not saying he's the same as Miller or Holland, but can add goals in a similar way.

I'll have a sportsmans bet that he gets 8-10 goals this season.

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 11:20 - Jun 25 with 2509 viewsibbleobble

Celina can and has played a lot of his career wide left in a three. MM played him there as have others if memory serves me correctly.

If you’re right and KM wants three packet forwards, there’s still gaps as we don’t have any depth to play this way.
Don't think we will be signing Celina on 11:41 - Jun 25 with 2401 viewschicoazul

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:59 - Jun 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

He’s never scored anything close to that in a season.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 11:44 - Jun 25 with 2386 viewsDJR

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:43 - Jun 25 by SouthfieldsBlue

Ladapo 15
Burns 12
Jackson 10
Chaplin 10
John-Jules 5
Morsy 5
Aluko 5
Leigh 4
Evans 3
Edmundson 2
Wolfenden 2

Agreed. The other thing to say is that with more athletic players I think we'll create more chances than last season. With a couple of exceptions, we didn't really have many players who were skilful or athletic enough to "break the line", to use a rugby expression. This often led to us passing the ball around the box, with no real end product. With more players who can break the line, I think we will create more and better chances, which will lead to more goals.
On Celina himself, I am not sure he is the sort of athletic player that McK is looking for, whatever his undoubted skill.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 11:51]
Don't think we will be signing Celina on 11:44 - Jun 25 with 2393 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 11:41 - Jun 25 by chicoazul

He’s never scored anything close to that in a season.

I know that. But I think KM can bring goals out of him (especially in League 1).

Gundogan hadn't scored many goals at all in his career until two seasons ago.

Players can still grow.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 11:45]

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 11:47 - Jun 25 with 2356 viewsGlasgowBlue

I see Jackson and John Jules either side of Ladapo or Chaplin. Maybe one more striker to come in if we offload Pigott. Somebody a little different to the two new boys.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 11:56 - Jun 25 with 2294 viewsStewart27

I’m the same. Everything is in place in terms of the spine. I just think that we need a real goal scorer. Ladapo will get us 10-15 goals but apart from him we have non goal scoring strikers. They will definitely offer us something in this system, but this is the same system that was incredibly dry at the latter stages of last year. I don’t think it’s being negative or wrong to expect more fire power to arrive before the season starts.
Don't think we will be signing Celina on 12:20 - Jun 25 with 2214 viewsBigCommon

Burns, Chaplin, Morsy, Jackson, Ladapo, John Jules... Plus any other attacking player we bring in.. Other players will chip in a few here and there... I'm not obsessed with a 25 goal striker. We'll see multiple players into double figures, imo...
Getting back to the OP, and Celina?.. My hopes are fading... Part of me thinks its one we could have got done early, for McKenna's sake.. Part of me thinks, we might be holding out for the best deal, or another, similar player.. I honestly think he'd tear it up in an improved side.. I think he's got a year left on his Dijon contract. So they will probably be looking to sell him, rather than see his contract run down with another season long loan and see him go on a free next season.. Imo, that's what might be causing a delay on any news of his future. Be it here or with another club.. We might have some more wriggle room, once we allow one or two players to leave...We haven't spent anything on transfer fees yet.. But the wage bill will be ticking up with the newbies .. I doubt Ladapo or Ball are playing for peanuts... I know some Town fans aren't bothered about Celina. But there are a hell of a lot , that would like him here.. Would be a big boost to lots of us, if he was announced at some point... But , as said, my hopes are fading...
Don't think we will be signing Celina on 12:22 - Jun 25 with 2195 viewsVic

I think you’re right. I know that his assists were among the highest, but for me ihe still didn’t do enough every game to warrant using up a big chunk of money that might just be helpful for the team else where. I’ve always felt that he really ought to be pulling the strings every game - but he doesn’t and the fact that he could be rotated as much as he was suggests that he wasn’t indispensable to the team.

Looking at the potential we have coming through I think we can do without him.

Interesting to listen to Arnies interview in another thread. He reckoned that although the Man U team he played in had the star names they weren’t as good a team as Ipswich. Just goes to show it’s not actually about the big names, which Celina certainly is in this league.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 12:26 - Jun 25 with 2170 viewsVic

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:50 - Jun 25 by Bobsthename

Not sure that’ll work for us but i see what you mean,i’ll be happy once we get a goal scorer in until then massive doubts for me.

Do you really think we’ll get someone with a better scoring record that Ladapo? He’s been pretty constant for the last few years - higher than any striker we’ve had for a long long time. If he can get 15 we’ll be OK

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 12:31 - Jun 25 with 2142 viewschenners17

I kind of hope Pigott gets a run.

He has previously scored 20+ goals in this league and with the amount of chances we should create, you would expect him to score.

However, pigott or mckenna may have decided that a move is best. But feels a bit unfair after just one season.
Don't think we will be signing Celina on 12:33 - Jun 25 with 2135 viewsIllinoisblue

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 10:48 - Jun 25 by LeoMuff

It does feel like he isn’t coming back, but for the reputed wages he under performed last season, if he isn’t coming back then it is a shame as he could single handedly get you out of this league if he had a proper pre season.

But if the 20k per week is true then you can see how KMC might think there’s better value elsewhere…

Agree he did under perform a bit, but that said his goals and assists (along with Bonne’s) leave a hole to be filled.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 12:36 - Jun 25 with 2112 viewsBobsthename

Don't think we will be signing Celina on 12:26 - Jun 25 by Vic

Do you really think we’ll get someone with a better scoring record that Ladapo? He’s been pretty constant for the last few years - higher than any striker we’ve had for a long long time. If he can get 15 we’ll be OK

15 yeah but i’m unsure others will chip in with enough goals we created umpteen chance last season but a lot went begging and it stands out drawing games again proves the point i personally don’t think we have yet addressed it in this window i think Lapado will also create just. hoping we have someone on the end of it .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024