Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Armed Forces Day" 12:04 - Jun 25 with 2643 viewsZx1988

Not come across this one before. I assume it's a relatively recent invention?

What's the difference between this and Remembrance Day?
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 12:05]

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

"Armed Forces Day" on 12:09 - Jun 25 with 2369 viewsJ2BLUE

Apparently it used to be known as Veteran's Day and has been around since 2006.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

"Armed Forces Day" on 12:40 - Jun 25 with 2324 viewsMattinLondon

Remembrance Day, in my opinion is the correct day to acknowledge the debt this country owes to the service personnel who have died protecting us. I think it is also the dignified time to appreciate the armed forces as a whole.

If the country can send troops etc into battle then the country has a duty of care towards those suffering from physical injuries and mental illness. A bit like food banks it’s scandalous that MPs think it’s a great thing that charities have needed to be set-up to help veterans get better and to adapt to civvy street.

I do have great reservations about the way some events turn into military parades - it is reminiscent of the way dictatorships pay tribute to its armies. I also object to the way many use veterans every time they launch an attack on asylum seekers etc. Armed Forces Day is just cosmetic nothingness used to appease some aspects of the population.

Anyway, that was all off-topic I guess.
"Armed Forces Day" on 13:08 - Jun 25 with 2274 viewsfactual_blue

"Armed Forces Day" on 12:40 - Jun 25 by MattinLondon

Remembrance Day, in my opinion is the correct day to acknowledge the debt this country owes to the service personnel who have died protecting us. I think it is also the dignified time to appreciate the armed forces as a whole.

If the country can send troops etc into battle then the country has a duty of care towards those suffering from physical injuries and mental illness. A bit like food banks it’s scandalous that MPs think it’s a great thing that charities have needed to be set-up to help veterans get better and to adapt to civvy street.

I do have great reservations about the way some events turn into military parades - it is reminiscent of the way dictatorships pay tribute to its armies. I also object to the way many use veterans every time they launch an attack on asylum seekers etc. Armed Forces Day is just cosmetic nothingness used to appease some aspects of the population.

Just remember to dress as a poppy from mid-October to the end of November to show how much you care.

That actually looks like a very distressing skin disease.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

"Armed Forces Day" on 13:20 - Jun 25 with 2248 viewstazdac

"Armed Forces Day" on 12:09 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

Apparently it used to be known as Veteran's Day and has been around since 2006.

"Armed Forces Day" on 13:26 - Jun 25 with 2233 viewsIcantbelieveyousaidt

"Armed Forces Day" on 12:40 - Jun 25 by MattinLondon

Such a pity you did not get a ticket for the game where you could have let your opinion be known to those participating. Perhaps on your behalf Phil could let the club be aware of some of his posters objections. It would be so intriguing what the club or and the majority of supporters think.
Perhaps you should let your local labour party be aware of your concerns - I could be wrong but wasn't it Gordon Brown who introduced this 'day'

Must sign off, sunshine to enjoy....
"Armed Forces Day" on 13:33 - Jun 25 with 2204 viewsMattinLondon

"Armed Forces Day" on 13:26 - Jun 25 by Icantbelieveyousaidt

Such a pity you did not get a ticket for the game where you could have let your opinion be known to those participating. Perhaps on your behalf Phil could let the club be aware of some of his posters objections. It would be so intriguing what the club or and the majority of supporters think.
Perhaps you should let your local labour party be aware of your concerns - I could be wrong but wasn't it Gordon Brown who introduced this 'day'

Must sign off, sunshine to enjoy....

Such a pity you didn’t actually read my post properly before embarking on a limp attack.

For what it’s worth I thought that my post was respectful to the armed forces - as stated I have huge respect for the armed services I’m just less enthused about events becoming like military parades.

I hope that you do enjoy the sunshine - remember to apply sun lotion - you wouldn’t want to go gammon pink.

Edit. I don’t know, or care, who introduced this ‘day’. I just don’t agree with it.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 13:35]
"Armed Forces Day" on 13:55 - Jun 25 with 2147 viewsSwansea_Blue

First I heard of it is when that spectacularly awful ConKIP MP Gullis was blubbing about it in the week, as he reckoned the railways union was attacking veterans by striking at the same time. I expect like anything else, some will love it and others will hate it.

I hope we don’t go down the American route with lots of faux worshipping of vets while doing sweet FA to help them. We easily could, as clap for the NHS was such a meaningless gesture. Vets deserve support, but that needs to be meaningful: long term financial for those suffering as a result of service at the very least.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

"Armed Forces Day" on 14:07 - Jun 25 with 2104 viewsfactual_blue

"Armed Forces Day" on 13:33 - Jun 25 by MattinLondon

Such a pity you didn’t actually read my post properly before embarking on a limp attack.

For what it’s worth I thought that my post was respectful to the armed forces - as stated I have huge respect for the armed services I’m just less enthused about events becoming like military parades.

I hope that you do enjoy the sunshine - remember to apply sun lotion - you wouldn’t want to go gammon pink.

Edit. I don’t know, or care, who introduced this ‘day’. I just don’t agree with it.

It should be expanded to become Public Sector Workers' Day, recognising the thankless efforts of all public sector workers, uniformed or otherwise, who do their utmost to look after us all in more ways than you could imagine.

Login to get fewer ads

"Armed Forces Day" on 14:09 - Jun 25 with 2105 viewsfactual_blue

"Armed Forces Day" on 13:55 - Jun 25 by Swansea_Blue

First I heard of it is when that spectacularly awful ConKIP MP Gullis was blubbing about it in the week, as he reckoned the railways union was attacking veterans by striking at the same time. I expect like anything else, some will love it and others will hate it.

I hope we don’t go down the American route with lots of faux worshipping of vets while doing sweet FA to help them. We easily could, as clap for the NHS was such a meaningless gesture. Vets deserve support, but that needs to be meaningful: long term financial for those suffering as a result of service at the very least.

Yes. We should do more to recognise the efforts of vets. They do sterling work looking after the nation's pets.

"Armed Forces Day" on 14:18 - Jun 25 with 2083 viewsChurchman

The day is actually the anniversary of the awarding of the first Victoria Cross. Gordon Brown brought it about in 2006 and it was initially called Veterans Day and I suspect this name was changed to AFD because Veterans Day in the US falls on the 11th November. The US have lots of events around their military and really do support and respect it..

I don’t have a problem with Armed Forces Day. Anything that promotes the amazing work our services do gets my support. A lot of countries do something similar.

It’s different to Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day, as far as I’m concerned, and there are armed forces charities that raise money throughout the year.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 14:20]
"Armed Forces Day" on 14:27 - Jun 25 with 2038 viewsChurchman

"Armed Forces Day" on 14:07 - Jun 25 by factual_blue

It should be expanded to become Public Sector Workers' Day, recognising the thankless efforts of all public sector workers, uniformed or otherwise, who do their utmost to look after us all in more ways than you could imagine.

I don’t disagree with you. However, I’d have a different day for that. Maybe three. The services, the emergency services, other public sector workers. Just an idea.
"Armed Forces Day" on 14:34 - Jun 25 with 2021 viewsJ2BLUE

"Armed Forces Day" on 14:27 - Jun 25 by Churchman

I don’t disagree with you. However, I’d have a different day for that. Maybe three. The services, the emergency services, other public sector workers. Just an idea.

And one for jobseekers to remind us of the BS they have to face.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

"Armed Forces Day" on 14:51 - Jun 25 with 1984 viewsfactual_blue

"Armed Forces Day" on 14:34 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

And one for jobseekers to remind us of the BS they have to face.

They've no time for a day off. They should be job seeking 35 hours a week.

"Armed Forces Day" on 16:21 - Jun 25 with 1900 viewsIcantbelieveyousaidt

"Armed Forces Day" on 13:33 - Jun 25 by MattinLondon

Just come back indoors to watch the cricket. Thank you so much for being concerned about my welfare - I guess though I prefer gammon pink (surely that can be construed as racist!) to yellow.
"Armed Forces Day" on 16:34 - Jun 25 with 1881 viewsMattinLondon

"Armed Forces Day" on 16:21 - Jun 25 by Icantbelieveyousaidt

Just come back indoors to watch the cricket. Thank you so much for being concerned about my welfare - I guess though I prefer gammon pink (surely that can be construed as racist!) to yellow.

No it can’t be constructed as racist you silly little person.
"Armed Forces Day" on 18:52 - Jun 25 with 1567 viewsRadlett_blue

"Armed Forces Day" on 14:07 - Jun 25 by factual_blue

As long as that includes Tube train drivers, who currently earn an average salary of £58,949 for a 35 hour week, then I'm all for it.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

"Armed Forces Day" on 19:24 - Jun 25 with 1529 viewsStuartBrett8

It's a bit more interactive than remembrance day, you can get in the cockpit of a spitfire etc and Lowestoft has been doing it long before 2006.

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

"Armed Forces Day" on 19:32 - Jun 25 with 1521 viewsChondzoresk

How about a “Disability Day” so those of us (and I include myself as I am disabled) who have visible and non visible disabilities can be celebrated. Perhaps then people could could then celebrate us by not parking in disabled parking bays without the Blue Badge and timer. Rather than (Diss Tesco today) a big Audi Q4/6/8? mahoosive Audi anyway decided that he was entitled to park in a disabled bay without displaying any blue badges badges…self entitled pric€

Sorry guys rant over, that really got my dander up.
"Armed Forces Day" on 19:36 - Jun 25 with 1504 viewsfactual_blue

"Armed Forces Day" on 18:52 - Jun 25 by Radlett_blue

As long as that includes Tube train drivers, who currently earn an average salary of £58,949 for a 35 hour week, then I'm all for it.

I'm glad you're happy that at least some public sector workers are paid something approaching their worth.

"Armed Forces Day" on 20:34 - Jun 25 with 1458 viewsnoggin

"Armed Forces Day" on 18:52 - Jun 25 by Radlett_blue

What point are you trying to make here?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

"Armed Forces Day" on 10:58 - Jun 26 with 1269 viewsRadlett_blue

"Armed Forces Day" on 20:34 - Jun 25 by noggin

What point are you trying to make here?

That not all public service workers are underpaid angels.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

"Armed Forces Day" on 11:29 - Jun 26 with 1234 viewsnoggin

"Armed Forces Day" on 10:58 - Jun 26 by Radlett_blue

That not all public service workers are underpaid angels.

What would you consider acceptable for a tube driver?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

"Armed Forces Day" on 11:45 - Jun 26 with 1194 viewsMattinLondon

"Armed Forces Day" on 19:32 - Jun 25 by Chondzoresk

How about a “Disability Day” so those of us (and I include myself as I am disabled) who have visible and non visible disabilities can be celebrated. Perhaps then people could could then celebrate us by not parking in disabled parking bays without the Blue Badge and timer. Rather than (Diss Tesco today) a big Audi Q4/6/8? mahoosive Audi anyway decided that he was entitled to park in a disabled bay without displaying any blue badges badges…self entitled pric€

Sorry guys rant over, that really got my dander up.

Is this form of selfishness relatively common?
"Armed Forces Day" on 12:50 - Jun 26 with 1145 viewsLord_Lucan

"Armed Forces Day" on 11:29 - Jun 26 by noggin

What would you consider acceptable for a tube driver?

They get a bumper wage, that’s for sure - but I don’t have a problem with people getting big wages if they can get it - regardless of what they do.

My issue is that it’s a closed shop.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

"Armed Forces Day" on 15:07 - Jun 26 with 1068 viewsMattinLondon

"Armed Forces Day" on 12:50 - Jun 26 by Lord_Lucan

They get a bumper wage, that’s for sure - but I don’t have a problem with people getting big wages if they can get it - regardless of what they do.

My issue is that it’s a closed shop.

Not that long ago there was an article in the Standard stating that no tube driver vacancy had been posted for ten years.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024