Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole 04:42 - Jun 26 with 2347 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

And I’ve just seen for the first time Amy Winehouses last performance. Now I have a question for those of you who remember the time before her death…

I remember when she died the outpouring of grief. But I don’t remember what the feeling was before she died in the weeks before. Surely seeing as she was publicly performing in that state (see below video), somebody somewhere could have done something to help the girl? Even if she’s turning down rehab as per her song, why was it just allowed that she would turn up slaughtered and out of it to then unsurprisingly die a few days later? Or was it sadly obvious to everyone she was dying in front of the worlds eyes and nothing could be done?

It’s a sad story. I just wonder what the press/public view was in those last weeks because watching that video below is surreal knowing she doesnt even see out that week. Terribly sad.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 07:02 - Jun 26 with 2255 viewsGuthrum

Wasn't quite as straightforward as that. Winehouse had been through various (more or less informal) rehab processes and her death was - as reported - more the result of a relapse than a continuation.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 08:20 - Jun 26 with 2128 viewsSteve_M

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 07:02 - Jun 26 by Guthrum

Wasn't quite as straightforward as that. Winehouse had been through various (more or less informal) rehab processes and her death was - as reported - more the result of a relapse than a continuation.

Yes, it wasn’t like her problems were ignored even if much of the media preferred to mock and get stories out of them.

The very good documentary Amy, but the same director who made the Senna and Maradonna biographies, blames her ex-boyfriend for most of it but that’s largely her family’s viewpoint.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 17:11 - Jun 26 with 1850 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 07:02 - Jun 26 by Guthrum

Ahhh I see. Thanks Guthwrs. Almost surreal watching the video knowing she’s days away from death. Poor lass was in a right state and it’s as if everyone there is pretending she isn’t to keep up the facade

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 17:56 - Jun 26 with 1822 viewsLord_Lucan

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 17:11 - Jun 26 by The_Romford_Blue

Ahhh I see. Thanks Guthwrs. Almost surreal watching the video knowing she’s days away from death. Poor lass was in a right state and it’s as if everyone there is pretending she isn’t to keep up the facade

I saw here at V once and on another occasion she was there I didn't bother. To be honest I only went to her stage because I wanted to see her before she died - sounds heartless but what are you gonna do?

On the year I didn't bother, my daughter went to see Pete Doherty in a "Late tent" and Amy burst on and fecked everything up so much that even he was p1ssed off with her.

I always found her an interesting individual but a genuine rock and roll suicide!

I am no expert on her but my memories are that the press followed her about waiting for her to feck up and I am sure that didn't help.

Once you are on the junk though.................!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 18:13 - Jun 26 with 1788 views05Jchamb

Was this rabbit hole kickstarted by Jamie Ts set last night? An instant Glastonbury classic but he was off his nut.
Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 18:15 - Jun 26 with 1778 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 17:56 - Jun 26 by Lord_Lucan

I saw here at V once and on another occasion she was there I didn't bother. To be honest I only went to her stage because I wanted to see her before she died - sounds heartless but what are you gonna do?

On the year I didn't bother, my daughter went to see Pete Doherty in a "Late tent" and Amy burst on and fecked everything up so much that even he was p1ssed off with her.

I always found her an interesting individual but a genuine rock and roll suicide!

I am no expert on her but my memories are that the press followed her about waiting for her to feck up and I am sure that didn't help.

She was a great talent. I highly rated her music and I used to drink a fair bit in Camden during my London days near where she lived. A lot of people would mentioned she fell out of this place or that place at 5am on a Tuesday night. I found it a fairly heartbreaking story but a lot of people even after her death seemed a bit heartless about it all. There was a notion that she was inherently selfish with her attitude and behavior. Her boyfriend clearly didn’t help matters, they were both bad for other. I remember being at house party when the news broke, no one was particularly surprised by it, which in itself is very sad.
Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 18:25 - Jun 26 with 1739 viewsLord_Lucan

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 18:15 - Jun 26 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

She was a great talent. I highly rated her music and I used to drink a fair bit in Camden during my London days near where she lived. A lot of people would mentioned she fell out of this place or that place at 5am on a Tuesday night. I found it a fairly heartbreaking story but a lot of people even after her death seemed a bit heartless about it all. There was a notion that she was inherently selfish with her attitude and behavior. Her boyfriend clearly didn’t help matters, they were both bad for other. I remember being at house party when the news broke, no one was particularly surprised by it, which in itself is very sad.

Didn't she drink in that purple pub past the canal on the way to Chalk Farm? Hawley Tavern???

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 18:31 - Jun 26 with 1701 viewsChurchman

My buddy saw her a few month befor she died. He was a big fan. Tbf, she was extremely talented, if not my cup of tea.

According to him, she came on an hour late. She was a mess, out of it with drink or whatever. Stumbled through one song, forgetting half the words and tottered off. That was it. He found it, correctly, very very sad.

In terms of the help she needed I agree with you that it’s awful nobody was able to help her.
Login to get fewer ads

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 18:38 - Jun 26 with 1680 viewsStrimmer

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 18:25 - Jun 26 by Lord_Lucan

Didn't she drink in that purple pub past the canal on the way to Chalk Farm? Hawley Tavern???

hawley arms but yeah, there and the good mixer were her usual haunts so I hear

Poll: Was it a punch?

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 18:40 - Jun 26 with 1675 viewstextbackup

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 17:56 - Jun 26 by Lord_Lucan

i watched her at V, might be because i was p1ssed up, but it sticks out as a brilliant act. and every time i hear certain songs of hers i'm back in that field

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 18:58 - Jun 26 with 1645 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 18:25 - Jun 26 by Lord_Lucan

The good mixer.
Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 09:55 - Jun 27 with 1421 viewsglasso

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 18:58 - Jun 26 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The good mixer.

It was the Hawley Arms.

That place was absolutely packed to the rafters with people who celebrated, enabled (and joined in) with her downward spiral.

I used to spend a fair bit of time in there and knew her a bit - she was fairly good mates with my missus - and to be honest, blaming ANY of the press, her mates, her boyfriend or her in isolation for what happened is a bit daft. All of that, and a decent dose of her dad, agents, record label etc, go into a big mix of blame IMO.
Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 10:50 - Jun 27 with 1389 viewsLord_Lucan

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 09:55 - Jun 27 by glasso

It was the Hawley Arms.

That place was absolutely packed to the rafters with people who celebrated, enabled (and joined in) with her downward spiral.

I used to spend a fair bit of time in there and knew her a bit - she was fairly good mates with my missus - and to be honest, blaming ANY of the press, her mates, her boyfriend or her in isolation for what happened is a bit daft. All of that, and a decent dose of her dad, agents, record label etc, go into a big mix of blame IMO.

I didn't want to mention her dad in case I was out of line - but whenever I saw / and have seen him being interviewed since I always thought he was rowing in the wrong direction - if you know what I mean.

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 11:23 - Jun 27 with 1331 viewsglasso

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 10:50 - Jun 27 by Lord_Lucan

I didn't want to mention her dad in case I was out of line - but whenever I saw / and have seen him being interviewed since I always thought he was rowing in the wrong direction - if you know what I mean.

Yeah, he was/is a weird guy. When his daughter was very publicly battling serious demons, he was out there trying to build a career as a singer (which would never have happened without that surname being linked to his daughter).

I think with any huge act like Winehouse, there become a lot of people whose livelihoods depend on them performing. Lots of families that need her to get up on stage so they can pay the mortgage.

It's not a good place to be because someone needs to say, "I think you need some time off, and we'll all take a financial hit for it." Some do, but a lot don't when there's millions of pounds on the line.

It's part of the reason people like Elvis ended up chewing down on drugs when they weren't happy or didn't feel up to playing.

But like I say, I don't think Mitch was any more guilty than a hell of a lot of other people.
Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 12:11 - Jun 27 with 1284 viewsN2_Blue

It was the Hawley Arms.

I can also confirm it was the Hawley Arms.

I worked in Camden for 10 years and she was regularly in there. She may well have frequented the Good Mixer but the Hawley Arms was Amy's pub.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 12:13 - Jun 27 with 1278 viewsunbelievablue

It was the Hawley Arms.

Did you ever meet and/or become aware of the Doherty/Wolfman clique?

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 13:22 - Jun 27 with 1250 viewsglasso

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 12:13 - Jun 27 by unbelievablue

Did you ever meet and/or become aware of the Doherty/Wolfman clique?

I did, yeah. They knocked around the Hawley a bit but never as much as others in that scene.

Funnily enough I played a gig with Babyshambles once. They were absolutely appalling. Really, really bad. But people went batsh*t over them.

Never really understood the hype around him, and I was of the right age at the time, not just a moaning old git like I am now
Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 14:14 - Jun 27 with 1193 viewsSTYG

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 08:20 - Jun 26 by Steve_M

Yes, it wasn’t like her problems were ignored even if much of the media preferred to mock and get stories out of them.

The very good documentary Amy, but the same director who made the Senna and Maradonna biographies, blames her ex-boyfriend for most of it but that’s largely her family’s viewpoint.

We get to look forward to our lovely media tearing into the England players around October in that very special way that they do, just before hailing them heroes for a week or two before destroying them again.

Winehouse probably had the most extreme case of this I have ever seen. See also Jade Goody, Caroline Flack and plenty of others.

They (you can guess which papers I am sure) absolutely tore her to bits for months leading up to her death, embarrassing her, ridiculing her and tearing her to shreds, only to lead Princess Diana like tributes in the days following her death about what an star she was, what a misunderstood soul she was. Absolutely vile treatment.

But she was very much made out to be the author of her own misfortunate right up until she died, when they then decided that wouldn't sell papers but going after the ex-boyfriend would. Once that had rode it's course, didn't they then turn on the dad?

Absolutely brilliant performer and a very sad demise, whatever the real story was. She'd have certainly gone on to be one of the greats, although some would argue she did enough in those few years to be considered in that manner anyway.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 14:21]
Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 14:31 - Jun 27 with 1167 viewsdocklandsblue

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 18:31 - Jun 26 by Churchman

My buddy saw her a few month befor she died. He was a big fan. Tbf, she was extremely talented, if not my cup of tea.

According to him, she came on an hour late. She was a mess, out of it with drink or whatever. Stumbled through one song, forgetting half the words and tottered off. That was it. He found it, correctly, very very sad.

In terms of the help she needed I agree with you that it’s awful nobody was able to help her.

I saw her quite a few times over the years including at Glastonbury, she probably has the greatest range on the brilliant - awful scale for any artist I've ever seen... On the few occasions I met her she was incredibly shy, but on her day, what a talent.

If you want to know a bit more about how it eventually went wrong and why, I made this a while back: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0014z7l

P.S. No I'm not Scott Mills.
Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 17:56 - Jun 27 with 1060 viewsunbelievablue

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 13:22 - Jun 27 by glasso

I did, yeah. They knocked around the Hawley a bit but never as much as others in that scene.

Funnily enough I played a gig with Babyshambles once. They were absolutely appalling. Really, really bad. But people went batsh*t over them.

Never really understood the hype around him, and I was of the right age at the time, not just a moaning old git like I am now

Cool story (sincerely).

I saw Doherty at the Roundhouse in 2012 after he'd released that solo album (which I quite liked). He was a train wreck and the gig was a farce.

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 18:05 - Jun 27 with 1053 viewsMattinLondon

I saw her at V and I think that performance wasn’t that long before her death (but can’t remember the timeline of her death). She was awful, properly off key and looked ill. Saying that, once every ten minutes or so she would have a thirty second spell where her voice was fantastic / that must have been what she was like in her prime.

At the time she had a lot of hangers on around her who may well not have had their her best interests at heart. Some nobody from ‘Big Brother’ was constantly with her trying to stay in the limelight.

An amazing talent who didn’t take the help when offered to her.
Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 23:25 - Jun 27 with 1010 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Have read all the replies and it really does sound like a tragic story where she didn’t get the right help or have the right people around her and the rest of the world sorta just had to watch on and hope she didn’t die.

No age either.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 23:26]

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 08:43 - Jun 28 with 925 viewsunbelievablue

Down the 4am Glastonbury/Musical rabbit hole on 23:25 - Jun 27 by The_Romford_Blue

Have read all the replies and it really does sound like a tragic story where she didn’t get the right help or have the right people around her and the rest of the world sorta just had to watch on and hope she didn’t die.

No age either.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 23:26]

Way too many stories like that unfortunately.

The new Elvis film (for all its faults) does a decent job of highlighting what bad influences can do to a famous entertainer.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024