Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A potential life sentence for dangerous driving 07:50 - Jun 26 with 3595 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

New law coming in next week for the maximum sentence for both dangerous driving that kills and dangerous driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs and kill to go from 14 years to life. . I can sort of understand it a bit more for the latter of those two situations but the first is very harsh imo. Not sure someone making a genuine mistake for potentially 1 second of their life should cost them the remainder of it behind bars even if they’ve caused a death.

Saw some old boy turning in off a junction to go the wrong way down the motorway a few months back. Now whilst it was an incredibly stupid mistake to have made, if a car had hit him and it killed the other driver, I don’t think him being jailed for the rest of his life is fair when it would have been a genuine (albeit hugely costly) mistake. Perhaps I’m too soft but it just seems harsh. 14 years maximum sentence is enough already. Will need to be an equally tough judge anyway to ever give that maximum sentence even for the most clear cut case of dangerous driving.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61940351

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 09:38 - Jun 26 with 2147 viewsMattinLondon

Mistakes do happen and we do jail too many people in this country.

But, if someone gets behind the wheel and is over-the-limit or under the influence of drugs then that’s not really a mistake. Surly that’s reckless behaviour? And as such they are willingly putting life’s in danger.
A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 09:45 - Jun 26 with 2130 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I thought dangerous driving had to be fairly obviously dangerous rather than just a mistake.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 09:52 - Jun 26 with 2104 viewsJ2BLUE

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 09:45 - Jun 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

I thought dangerous driving had to be fairly obviously dangerous rather than just a mistake.

Agree.

An older person making a mistake is likely yo get a far more lenient sentence than someone driving at 100 MHP to try and escape the police.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 09:55 - Jun 26 with 2097 viewsLeoMuff

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 09:38 - Jun 26 by MattinLondon

Mistakes do happen and we do jail too many people in this country.

But, if someone gets behind the wheel and is over-the-limit or under the influence of drugs then that’s not really a mistake. Surly that’s reckless behaviour? And as such they are willingly putting life’s in danger.

Drugs are a tricky one, as cannabis for example could show up in your system up to 30 days after use, are you under the influence no, but would you fail a drug test I don’t know ?

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 09:57 - Jun 26 with 2084 viewsLord_Lucan

An old fart making a mistake will get done for careless driving at worse.

Dangerous driving = stuff like driving 80 mph through a built up area where pedestrians are about and mowing a bus queue down.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 10:02 - Jun 26 with 2059 viewsMattinLondon

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 09:55 - Jun 26 by LeoMuff

Drugs are a tricky one, as cannabis for example could show up in your system up to 30 days after use, are you under the influence no, but would you fail a drug test I don’t know ?

I didn’t know that.

Off-topic, there was a case where I think caused an accident but drove off without stopping. When the police caught up with her at her friends house she was miles over the limit. But she maintained that she drink half a bottle of vodka straight after the accident as she was stressed or something similar. Think the police were powerless to charge her with drink driving.
A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 10:41 - Jun 26 with 2002 viewsBloomBlue

Someone making a simple turning mistake I'm sure wont receive a life sentence but when someone is driving like a manic on the wrong side of the road and kills someone then they will hopefully.

Also delighted that finally a life sentence for causing a death while drunk/drug driving can be given. Drunk/drug driving is no different to stabbing or shooting someone it should have been inline with manslaughter or murder years ago.
A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 10:44 - Jun 26 with 1997 viewstextbackup

whilst mistakes do happen, cars and being behind that wheel is one of those things i take very seriously.

ive seen far too many mates when younger driving like absolute d1ckheads, and have got out of cars because of it.

even now people at work will say how they bombed in at 90, i just cant understand the need to drive that fast and the risks involved

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 10:49 - Jun 26 with 1957 viewsZXBlue

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 10:41 - Jun 26 by BloomBlue

Someone making a simple turning mistake I'm sure wont receive a life sentence but when someone is driving like a manic on the wrong side of the road and kills someone then they will hopefully.

Also delighted that finally a life sentence for causing a death while drunk/drug driving can be given. Drunk/drug driving is no different to stabbing or shooting someone it should have been inline with manslaughter or murder years ago.

Of course, the chances of anyone getting to trial and being convicted within about 5 years is tiny.

Whilst the government play to the lowest common denominator with these sorts of announcements, they have wrecked the justice system through underfunding.
A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 11:42 - Jun 26 with 1897 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 10:41 - Jun 26 by BloomBlue

Ridiculous statement. Drunk or drug driving is grossly irresponsible but if you kill someone it's not deliberate like shooting or stabbing someone is.

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 11:51 - Jun 26 with 1875 viewsBloomBlue

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 11:42 - Jun 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

Ridiculous statement. Drunk or drug driving is grossly irresponsible but if you kill someone it's not deliberate like shooting or stabbing someone is.

Ridiculous statement

Are you saying they accidentally got drunk and accidentally drove a car?? No, they deliberately went and got drunk / took drugs and then deliberately got into a car and drove it.
A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 11:54 - Jun 26 with 1865 viewsLord_Lucan

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 11:42 - Jun 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yeah - until they flatten your kids.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 11:56 - Jun 26 with 1841 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 11:54 - Jun 26 by Lord_Lucan

Yeah - until they flatten your kids.

I'm not defending it, I'm just saying it's not deliberate. Shooting or stabbing someone clearly is deliberate.

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 12:05 - Jun 26 with 1777 viewslowhouseblue

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 11:56 - Jun 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm not defending it, I'm just saying it's not deliberate. Shooting or stabbing someone clearly is deliberate.

manslaughter by gross negligence isn't 'deliberate' but carries a maximum life sentence.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 12:07 - Jun 26 with 1766 viewseireblue

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 11:56 - Jun 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

To be accurate, you introduced the concept of “intent”.

The original comment did not, and also the equivalence to manslaughter was used.
A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 12:10 - Jun 26 with 1758 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 12:05 - Jun 26 by lowhouseblue

manslaughter by gross negligence isn't 'deliberate' but carries a maximum life sentence.

I know. What's your point caller?

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 12:11 - Jun 26 with 1751 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 12:07 - Jun 26 by eireblue

To be accurate, you introduced the concept of “intent”.

The original comment did not, and also the equivalence to manslaughter was used.

Not sure what your point is either. He said it's "no different" to stabbing or shooting someone. Clearly it is.

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 12:19 - Jun 26 with 1712 viewslowhouseblue

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 12:10 - Jun 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

I know. What's your point caller?

that not only offences which require mens rea to be proved can carry a life sentence. so your emphasis on a death being 'deliberate' is misplaced.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 12:30 - Jun 26 with 1681 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 12:19 - Jun 26 by lowhouseblue

that not only offences which require mens rea to be proved can carry a life sentence. so your emphasis on a death being 'deliberate' is misplaced.

I didn't make a comment on the length of sentence.

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 13:23 - Jun 26 with 1596 viewseireblue

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 12:11 - Jun 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

Not sure what your point is either. He said it's "no different" to stabbing or shooting someone. Clearly it is.

The result is the point.

You think it important that “intent” is the thing that should be used as a basis for comparison.

The result of an action is equally something that can be used as a comparison.

The intent is already considered when considering manslaughter and murder.

What is being addressed is results of an action were not dealt with equally.

To take another example, you can punch someone, and they end up with a bruise, life long disability or end up dead. A sentence will be determined by the result of the action as well as the intent.

That is the point being made. You are implying that intent is the only thing that is important when making a comparison. The point others are making is that intent is already considered, this measure is now properly addressing the result.
A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 13:28 - Jun 26 with 1584 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 09:55 - Jun 26 by LeoMuff

Yes, it does stay in the system for up to a week.

Does it have no effect on you while it is remaining in the system?

Presumably if it has led to causing death by dangerous driving whilst under the influence of the drugs it has had some effect on your judgment.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 13:48 - Jun 26 with 1529 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 13:23 - Jun 26 by eireblue

The result is the point.

You think it important that “intent” is the thing that should be used as a basis for comparison.

The result of an action is equally something that can be used as a comparison.

The intent is already considered when considering manslaughter and murder.

What is being addressed is results of an action were not dealt with equally.

To take another example, you can punch someone, and they end up with a bruise, life long disability or end up dead. A sentence will be determined by the result of the action as well as the intent.

That is the point being made. You are implying that intent is the only thing that is important when making a comparison. The point others are making is that intent is already considered, this measure is now properly addressing the result.

You seem to have got the wrong end of the stick and run with it. I haven't said I'm against this ruling and have made no comment on the length of sentence. I've merely stated that "there's no difference between killing someone as a drunk driver and shooting/stabbing them" is not correct. Shooting or stabbing someone is clearly a deliberate act to harm (at least). Killing someone drunk driving is (in most cases) an accident, albeit a preventable and reckless one.

I'm also NOT implying that intent is the only thing that is important when making a comparison. You've come up with that yourself. However, intent is surely hugely important?!

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 14:01 - Jun 26 with 1477 viewseireblue

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 13:48 - Jun 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

You seem to have got the wrong end of the stick and run with it. I haven't said I'm against this ruling and have made no comment on the length of sentence. I've merely stated that "there's no difference between killing someone as a drunk driver and shooting/stabbing them" is not correct. Shooting or stabbing someone is clearly a deliberate act to harm (at least). Killing someone drunk driving is (in most cases) an accident, albeit a preventable and reckless one.

I'm also NOT implying that intent is the only thing that is important when making a comparison. You've come up with that yourself. However, intent is surely hugely important?!

It seems perfectly reasonably to suggest that if someone gets into a car whilst drunk, and kills someone, that is equivalent to killing someone by some other criminal means.

The result is the same. So yes, I think it is a fair comparison.

You don’t drive drunk by accident.

Therefore the consequences of driving whilst drunk, is not an accident.
A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 14:06 - Jun 26 with 1461 viewsSwailsey

Disagree. Lock them fully up.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 14:13 - Jun 26 with 1440 viewsPinewoodblue

A potential life sentence for dangerous driving on 14:01 - Jun 26 by eireblue

It seems perfectly reasonably to suggest that if someone gets into a car whilst drunk, and kills someone, that is equivalent to killing someone by some other criminal means.

The result is the same. So yes, I think it is a fair comparison.

You don’t drive drunk by accident.

Therefore the consequences of driving whilst drunk, is not an accident.

The seriousness of the offence is taken into consideration when deciding the length of any incarceration. If increasing the maximum sentence results in longer prison sentence for all categories of death by dangerous driving then I am in favour.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/crown-court/item/causing-death-by-

Follow the link before commenting.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024