Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London to Sheffield train tickets 09:01 - Jun 27 with 2129 viewsHipsterectomy

It being over 2 months away I was about to buy my ticket. Super off peak and 2 months in advance yet the price is £84-£90 for a return. How do people afford away games further than the midlands??

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

London to Sheffield train tickets on 09:04 - Jun 27 with 2075 viewsEly_Blue

Have you looked at splitmyfare.co.uk

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

London to Sheffield train tickets on 09:07 - Jun 27 with 2054 viewsFreddies_Ears

Even at £2 a litre, driving is less than half the cost of trains for longer trips (2 in the car). Yes, there are other costs of car use, but I budget to drive 25000 miles a year, so still have plenty in the bank from the Covid year when I only did 10000...

Have you tried split ticketing, or even going via Doncaster?
London to Sheffield train tickets on 09:08 - Jun 27 with 2038 viewsHipsterectomy

London to Sheffield train tickets on 09:04 - Jun 27 by Ely_Blue

Have you looked at splitmyfare.co.uk

Thanks. It looks slightly cheaper but virtually the same. I assume official club coach travel will go up this year.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

London to Sheffield train tickets on 09:12 - Jun 27 with 2012 viewsEly_Blue

London to Sheffield train tickets on 09:07 - Jun 27 by Freddies_Ears

Even at £2 a litre, driving is less than half the cost of trains for longer trips (2 in the car). Yes, there are other costs of car use, but I budget to drive 25000 miles a year, so still have plenty in the bank from the Covid year when I only did 10000...

I disagree with you there, I’ve done the maths on my 400 mile round trip from Dorset to PR and it’s cheaper for me to spend £75 on a return train ticket this season at that price, particularly as I’m travelling alone

London to Sheffield train tickets on 09:33 - Jun 27 with 1909 viewsMookamoo

London to Sheffield train tickets on 09:07 - Jun 27 by Freddies_Ears

Child 3 is at Sheffield Uni and has found it is far cheaper to get singles in and out of Doncaster.

You might have to spend and extra 30 mins or so in Doncaster which is unfortunate in the best of times, but worth doing
London to Sheffield train tickets on 10:08 - Jun 27 with 1803 viewsMetal_Hacker

London to Sheffield train tickets on 09:33 - Jun 27 by Mookamoo

Child 3 is at Sheffield Uni and has found it is far cheaper to get singles in and out of Doncaster.

You might have to spend and extra 30 mins or so in Doncaster which is unfortunate in the best of times, but worth doing

Yeah I live in Sheffield and we're off to London this weekend by train - was so much cheaper going via Doncaster

Poll: If it were one or the other

London to Sheffield train tickets on 11:30 - Jun 27 with 1671 viewsStewart27

London to Sheffield train tickets on 09:12 - Jun 27 by Ely_Blue

I disagree with you there, I’ve done the maths on my 400 mile round trip from Dorset to PR and it’s cheaper for me to spend £75 on a return train ticket this season at that price, particularly as I’m travelling alone

And you can get p!ssed.
London to Sheffield train tickets on 11:57 - Jun 27 with 1619 viewsBlueStreak

There will be tickets much cheaper than that come available in the next month or so.

I reckon you will be looking at about £50 return.
Login to get fewer ads

London to Sheffield train tickets on 12:19 - Jun 27 with 1569 viewsDJR

If travelling with someone else, you could try a TwoTogether railcard which gets you both a third off, especially if you plan to travel anywhere in the future with that person.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 12:20]
London to Sheffield train tickets on 13:07 - Jun 27 with 1496 viewstpsontour

London to Sheffield train tickets on 10:08 - Jun 27 by Metal_Hacker

Yeah I live in Sheffield and we're off to London this weekend by train - was so much cheaper going via Doncaster

You can do Donny return for £30 with advance tickets. I did it last season, easy run an hour and a half out of Kings X
London to Sheffield train tickets on 13:31 - Jun 27 with 1430 viewsSwansea_Blue

Travel and other costs tied to an away match have always been far more than a ticket price, so that's why I don't get too worked up about ticket prices (cheaper is always nice though, of course). I suppose that depends on where you live relative to your club's matches though. Every match is an away game for me, and I reckon my cheapest (Bristol) would be £100 all in for ticket, travel & a bit of food.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

London to Sheffield train tickets on 13:59 - Jun 27 with 1363 viewsFreddies_Ears

London to Sheffield train tickets on 09:12 - Jun 27 by Ely_Blue

Pedant mode, but I think you were agreeing wit h me, as I said there's 2 of us in the car!
London to Sheffield train tickets on 14:16 - Jun 27 with 1308 viewsyesjohn99

Wait for super advance tickets. On some TOC’s websites you can give your email address and they send you a notification when they go on sale.
London to Sheffield train tickets on 15:20 - Jun 27 with 1219 viewsBluebell

My worry about getting train tickets in advance is whether you will get tickets to the game. I think, even with gold cards this year, it could be a problem.

A lot of games have limited seats available so I have a feeling it will be a first come, first served situation. You will have to be online as soon as they are on offer. You may have paid a fortune for train tickets and not need them!
London to Sheffield train tickets on 18:39 - Jun 27 with 1061 viewsEly_Blue

London to Sheffield train tickets on 13:59 - Jun 27 by Freddies_Ears

Pedant mode, but I think you were agreeing wit h me, as I said there's 2 of us in the car!

You were making the assumption that the op would be travelling as 2 in a car so no I wasn’t being a pedant and no I wasn’t agreeing with you!

London to Sheffield train tickets on 21:39 - Jun 27 with 985 viewsFreddies_Ears

London to Sheffield train tickets on 18:39 - Jun 27 by Ely_Blue

You were making the assumption that the op would be travelling as 2 in a car so no I wasn’t being a pedant and no I wasn’t agreeing with you!

Not at all, I was merely contributing my own experience and rationale, not seeking to argue with the OP at all. The rare occasion I drive solo, it is usually about the same cost as a train (I get 53 mpg in one car, 61 mpg in the other...).
London to Sheffield train tickets on 12:53 - Jun 28 with 736 viewsEly_Blue

London to Sheffield train tickets on 21:39 - Jun 27 by Freddies_Ears

Not at all, I was merely contributing my own experience and rationale, not seeking to argue with the OP at all. The rare occasion I drive solo, it is usually about the same cost as a train (I get 53 mpg in one car, 61 mpg in the other...).

Jeez what are you driving grandad?

I wish I got even close to that in mpg!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024