Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travel to PR by train from London 09:03 - Jun 27 with 2256 viewsEly_Blue

I know that a fair bit of our fan base are London based and I assume that the majority are travelling by train when possible to games?

I moved about 18 months ago and it’s around a 400 mile round trip for me now to PR from down here in deepest darkest Dorset. Looking at how much it was costing me last season in petrol to travel to games when it was £65-75 to fill my car (of which I was using most of it) and the increase in fuel costs it’s looking more viable for me to take the train this season (2 advance singles is going to cost me around £75).

My question is around how reliable and good the service is from Ipswich to London (I know the last year there have been engineering works on the weekend) and how full the trains tend to be on the way back after the game/which ones are the best to get?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Travel to PR by train from London on 09:29 - Jun 27 with 2179 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I've used the train a couple of times this last season and generally speaking, all is good.

The problems come when the last train back to Cheltenham gets cancelled and so the closest I can get home is Swindon, not good with a 14 year old.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Travel to PR by train from London on 10:41 - Jun 27 with 2084 viewsDJR

There were several occasions when there was a replacement bus service last season, eg. between London and Shenfield or Ingatestone and Colchester. This ran smoothly but does add some time to the journey (probably at least 30 minutes but maybe more depending on the bus route). On the occasion of the Ingatestone/Colchester works, they ran a direct bus to Colchester, as well as separate buses stopping at stations in between. As regards getting back from Ipswich, I tended to get the 17.44 to avoid the crowds. However on the occasion I got the earlier and busier train (as opposed to the one where you have to leave the ground slightly early), I found there was plenty of room if you walked to the end of the train nearest to Norwich as people tended to pile on next to the entrance to the platform.
Travel to PR by train from London on 11:27 - Jun 27 with 1986 viewsDyland

When they are running a normal intercity service Ipswich-Manners-Colchester-Stratford-Liverpool St, and with the new trains (with catering and bogs), it's not at all unpleasant. In terms of punters, I'd get one nearer to or just after six pm if connection time allows.

When there are engineering works.... well... obviously it doesn't put the plight of the people in the Donbas into perspective, but it makes an okay journey a total dogwunk one. Especially when the train stops at every corner on the way to Ingateston where you pick up a bus to Newbury Park, then central line. And they always use the sh1t old trains with no bar and like one bog when it's rail replacement, so do a widdle before leaving.

Like the catering at PR, I'm not expecting oysters and muscadet or a fooking cheese trolley, but a tinny and a p1ss may be nice.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Travel to PR by train from London on 11:31 - Jun 27 with 1964 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Very rarely been a problem when there isn't the pre-planned engineering works (which have happened every year for decades, and seemingly always will). So generally fine but annoying when there is the track work which probably covers 4 or 5 games a season for which I'd then generally drive.
Travel to PR by train from London on 11:32 - Jun 27 with 1962 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Travel to PR by train from London on 10:41 - Jun 27 by DJR

There were several occasions when there was a replacement bus service last season, eg. between London and Shenfield or Ingatestone and Colchester. This ran smoothly but does add some time to the journey (probably at least 30 minutes but maybe more depending on the bus route). On the occasion of the Ingatestone/Colchester works, they ran a direct bus to Colchester, as well as separate buses stopping at stations in between. As regards getting back from Ipswich, I tended to get the 17.44 to avoid the crowds. However on the occasion I got the earlier and busier train (as opposed to the one where you have to leave the ground slightly early), I found there was plenty of room if you walked to the end of the train nearest to Norwich as people tended to pile on next to the entrance to the platform.

Yep - trains are very rarely full.
Travel to PR by train from London on 14:05 - Jun 27 with 1834 viewsLeBlue

Definitely buy yourself a Network Railcard and get a return to Manningtree which is the last station in the 'south east' (saves you 33%) and then a separate Manningtree to Ipswich Return.

Worth noting that the £30 Network Railcard can be bought using £10 of Tesco Clubcard points.
Travel to PR by train from London on 20:27 - Jun 27 with 1646 viewsEly_Blue

Travel to PR by train from London on 14:05 - Jun 27 by LeBlue

Definitely buy yourself a Network Railcard and get a return to Manningtree which is the last station in the 'south east' (saves you 33%) and then a separate Manningtree to Ipswich Return.

Worth noting that the £30 Network Railcard can be bought using £10 of Tesco Clubcard points.

Thanks, I never knew a network railcard would extend down as far as here.

Looking at that option it saves me about £7-8 vs the advance singles at £37.50 each way

Travel to PR by train from London on 20:55 - Jun 27 with 1617 viewsDJR

Travel to PR by train from London on 14:05 - Jun 27 by LeBlue

As you say, there is a way round it, but I've always thought it's a bit of an anomaly/con that the Network Railcard stops at Manningtree, given how far it goes in other directions (eg, Kings Lynn, Exeter and Worcester).
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 20:56]
Login to get fewer ads

Travel to PR by train from London on 21:04 - Jun 27 with 1600 viewsDJR

Travel to PR by train from London on 20:27 - Jun 27 by Ely_Blue

Thanks, I never knew a network railcard would extend down as far as here.

Looking at that option it saves me about £7-8 vs the advance singles at £37.50 each way

The Network Railcard should also give you one third off advance singles as far as Manningtree, but maybe you've already factored that into account.
Travel to PR by train from London on 10:55 - Jul 28 with 1313 viewsStrimmer

Travel to PR by train from London on 21:04 - Jun 27 by DJR

The Network Railcard should also give you one third off advance singles as far as Manningtree, but maybe you've already factored that into account.

Just bumping this excellent Network Railcard tip for any London based town fans like me who have been spured to action following the arrival of their season ticket and are doing the horror maths over transport costs for the season.

As I like the flexibility of the open return, so I can play the post-game pub by ear, this will save me up to £16 per gameday. A heap of cash over the season. Bravo.

Also, complete bulls41t the railcard zone stops at manningtree!

Poll: Was it a punch?

Travel to PR by train from London on 11:33 - Jul 28 with 1230 viewsSteve_M

Travel to PR by train from London on 10:41 - Jun 27 by DJR

Yes, once the 17:09 is through Colchester it's normally comfortable and never an issue getting a seat. Busier when there are lots of away fans, the biggest problem with that train now is that GA only put a bar on sporadically (which sums up their approach to running a railway).

Rail replacement days, the run from Newbury Park outwards is quicker, especially if getting up in time for a few beers in Ipswich, and far less tedious than heading back into London on a Saturday evening. That's a good hour wasted on the way back.

Other rail replacement options are normally better and have shorter delays.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Travel to PR by train from London on 13:03 - Jul 28 with 1125 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Surprised you're bothering, what with the scoreboard not at your preferred angle.

Only joking! You can use a railcard as far down as Dorset by the looks of this;

https://www.network-railcard.co.uk/clientfiles/files/Map.pdf

Probably save the cost back in one trip!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Travel to PR by train from London on 15:25 - Jul 28 with 1050 viewsEly_Blue

Travel to PR by train from London on 13:03 - Jul 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

Surprised you're bothering, what with the scoreboard not at your preferred angle.

Only joking! You can use a railcard as far down as Dorset by the looks of this;

https://www.network-railcard.co.uk/clientfiles/files/Map.pdf

Probably save the cost back in one trip!

I’ve worked out by splitting my ticket with a network railcard that I can do the trip for £63 return.

That’s less than the 400 mile round trip was costing me even before the recent price hikes!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024