Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. 19:46 - Jun 27 with 963 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Junior looking for some university advice. (Edit....a good one...course and campus)
My advice is obviously do something cheaper but anyway....
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 19:52]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 20:31 - Jun 27 with 924 viewsBlueBadger

I'm not MH qualified, but avoid UEA and UoS(UoS doubly so as it's also a piss poor university for nurse training, if my experiences with postgrad courses are anything to go by) like the plague, because her work placements would be with Norfolk and Suffolk Mental Health Trust.

This may be of some help.

https://www.cqc.org.uk/news/stories/outstanding-first-top-ratings-nhs-mental-hea
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 21:27]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 21:16 - Jun 27 with 859 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 20:31 - Jun 27 by BlueBadger

I'm not MH qualified, but avoid UEA and UoS(UoS doubly so as it's also a piss poor university for nurse training, if my experiences with postgrad courses are anything to go by) like the plague, because her work placements would be with Norfolk and Suffolk Mental Health Trust.

https://www.cqc.org.uk/news/stories/outstanding-first-top-ratings-nhs-mental-hea

We're off for a look around Norwich on Saturday but that's a good point about the placements.
Ruskin (Chelmsford) is on her list too. How is Essex faring on the work front?

Edit....she should so stay home and become an estate agent or something useful.

On the plus side, bursaries are back!!
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 21:19]

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 21:27 - Jun 27 with 836 viewsBlueBadger

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 21:16 - Jun 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

We're off for a look around Norwich on Saturday but that's a good point about the placements.
Ruskin (Chelmsford) is on her list too. How is Essex faring on the work front?

Edit....she should so stay home and become an estate agent or something useful.

On the plus side, bursaries are back!!
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 21:19]

I trained at ARU(when it it was Anglia Polytchnic University) and it had a decent rep for nurse training back then. Good variety of MH areas to practice in down there as well. Ultimately, I'd look as closely at the rep of local healthcare organisations as you do the uni - ultimately the work placements will be what 'makes' you as a practitioner.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 21:28]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 21:35 - Jun 27 with 814 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 21:27 - Jun 27 by BlueBadger

I trained at ARU(when it it was Anglia Polytchnic University) and it had a decent rep for nurse training back then. Good variety of MH areas to practice in down there as well. Ultimately, I'd look as closely at the rep of local healthcare organisations as you do the uni - ultimately the work placements will be what 'makes' you as a practitioner.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 21:28]

She had a look at Guildford/Surrey this weekend and was amazed by the simulation facilities...pretend wards with actors etc.

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 21:37 - Jun 27 with 804 viewsBlueBadger

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 21:35 - Jun 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

She had a look at Guildford/Surrey this weekend and was amazed by the simulation facilities...pretend wards with actors etc.

'Simming' is very much the thing for training clinical skills nowadays. One of the things I teach as part of my job role is care of tracheostomies in emergencies - those dummies can do all sorts of crazy , scary things.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 21:43]

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 16:07 - Jul 2 with 587 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 20:31 - Jun 27 by BlueBadger

Well, just back from UEA and she didn't like the look of the course or campus much so that's a result I suppose.

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 17:51 - Jul 2 with 537 viewsjudespiveyg

Tell her to come to Sheffield (Uni of obvs not Hallam), its well fun here, big student body so very student friendly town, stuff to do for someone with basically any interest, consistently voted best SU in the country. Not a nurse but I know a couple and they seem to rate the course even if at BBB it has some of the lower entry requirements for a subject at the uni. I know the medical facilities in general are very good. Really smart campus, 1st year accom isn't on campus which I preferred. Really can't recommend this uni enough. Sheffield beats Ipswich on just about every front as a place to live and I think I've learned a lot from living outside of rural East Anglia.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 18:25 - Jul 2 with 520 viewstractordownsouth

My girlfriend has just graduated from Cardiff as a nurse (albeit not mental health) and it's got a good reputation. Despite being a capital city, it's cheap to live in compared to most university areas and if it's an area BDS junior would be looking to settle in long term, Cardiff grads tend to get better offers than students from Swansea and USW.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Login to get fewer ads

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 19:21 - Jul 2 with 494 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 17:51 - Jul 2 by judespiveyg

Tell her to come to Sheffield (Uni of obvs not Hallam), its well fun here, big student body so very student friendly town, stuff to do for someone with basically any interest, consistently voted best SU in the country. Not a nurse but I know a couple and they seem to rate the course even if at BBB it has some of the lower entry requirements for a subject at the uni. I know the medical facilities in general are very good. Really smart campus, 1st year accom isn't on campus which I preferred. Really can't recommend this uni enough. Sheffield beats Ipswich on just about every front as a place to live and I think I've learned a lot from living outside of rural East Anglia.

Funnily enough I was bigging up Sheffield as a location today but mental health is at Hallam. I lived there for a few years when a lot younger and know a little about it. What is the issue with Hallam?

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 19:34 - Jul 2 with 480 viewsjudespiveyg

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 19:21 - Jul 2 by BanksterDebtSlave

Funnily enough I was bigging up Sheffield as a location today but mental health is at Hallam. I lived there for a few years when a lot younger and know a little about it. What is the issue with Hallam?

aha absolutely nothing it's probably better for a lot of vocational subjects tbf in terms of range offered, its just a fun rivalry, we have varsity sports matches and stuff. Plenty of good things about Hallam, near the train station and Leadmill, smart sports facilities, and ultimately its in a city with a lot going on despite remaining quite cheap.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2022 19:39]

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 19:43 - Jul 2 with 457 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 19:34 - Jul 2 by judespiveyg

aha absolutely nothing it's probably better for a lot of vocational subjects tbf in terms of range offered, its just a fun rivalry, we have varsity sports matches and stuff. Plenty of good things about Hallam, near the train station and Leadmill, smart sports facilities, and ultimately its in a city with a lot going on despite remaining quite cheap.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2022 19:39]

I guess you get easy access to each others student union buildings and events too?

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 19:49 - Jul 2 with 450 viewsjudespiveyg

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 19:43 - Jul 2 by BanksterDebtSlave

I guess you get easy access to each others student union buildings and events too?

Yeah as long as you know someone from the other uni. Non-Uni-of students are allowed into student events provided they're going in with at least one Uni-of student in a group. Sheffield's SU is a pretty large venue and they also hold a bunch of non-student events as well open to the public.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2022 20:01]

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 06:57 - Jul 3 with 358 viewsLesta_Tractor

Not sure about courses but the University of Leicester is a decent place to study, easy trip to and from Suffolk for when she needs to drop off some washing too

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 07:59 - Jul 3 with 319 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

A long shot but....any mental health nursing students on here. on 06:57 - Jul 3 by Lesta_Tractor

Not sure about courses but the University of Leicester is a decent place to study, easy trip to and from Suffolk for when she needs to drop off some washing too

Leicester is on the list for a visit in the Autumn....I know nothing about it as a city. I'm not sure we can afford getting her to all these open days never mind being a student but bursaries are back which will help. With all the placements she will have to do I imagine she will struggle,e to have time for a part time job.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024