Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. 20:39 - Jun 27 with 3571 viewsunstableblue

This feels like effective strategy, plan, all aligned to objectives

Really new territory for Ipswich Town.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 20:51 - Jun 27 with 3430 viewsDubtractor

It is no 5 point plan, hastily scribbled on the back of a fag packet is it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 21:07 - Jun 27 with 3325 viewsIllinoisblue

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 20:51 - Jun 27 by Dubtractor

It does all seem measured and planned. The worry of course is that it all could get derailed by a couple of injuries to key players or an unlucky playoff defeat.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 21:25 - Jun 27 with 3199 viewsunstableblue

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 20:51 - Jun 27 by Dubtractor

Exactamundo Dubster

It’s objectives set at the top, love to see them in detail, but I given Steeds comments:

“ Legitimate progress across commercial, retail and infrastructure initiatives. Key operational enhancements underway. Resolute club management and talent across the playing side. Formidable manager, excellent team leadership.”

I imagine they are split into say 4-6 categories, with multiple objectives with set goals, both near and long term.

Marcus Evans was a businessman… so would have had more than a fag packet

But it never felt comprehensive, and critically there were no people or structures in place to implement them!

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 21:31 - Jun 27 with 3145 viewsunstableblue

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 21:07 - Jun 27 by Illinoisblue

It does all seem measured and planned. The worry of course is that it all could get derailed by a couple of injuries to key players or an unlucky playoff defeat.

I think what with derail the project frankly is the pressure of expectation and McKenna still being a little green

All the pieces of the jigsaw seem to be in place… but Bolton will come equally fired up, equally a club on the rise, you then go to Forest Green for their first game at this level, and it becomes a lottery, then you’re playing a very very well coached MK Dons now with money to spend….

How do we all react if expecatations of a flying start wobble, and pressure mounts. We just need to keep our heads, work frickin hard and try and get some belief and momentum going…

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 21:32 - Jun 27 with 3126 viewsSheffordBlue

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 21:25 - Jun 27 by unstableblue

Exactamundo Dubster

It’s objectives set at the top, love to see them in detail, but I given Steeds comments:

“ Legitimate progress across commercial, retail and infrastructure initiatives. Key operational enhancements underway. Resolute club management and talent across the playing side. Formidable manager, excellent team leadership.”

I imagine they are split into say 4-6 categories, with multiple objectives with set goals, both near and long term.

But it never felt comprehensive, and critically there were no people or structures in place to implement them!

"But it never felt comprehensive, and critically there were no people or structures in place to implement them!"

Totally agree and would add "and with no upfront investement to achieve them".

The current owners are investing to achieve a return.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 21:47 - Jun 27 with 2998 viewsunstableblue

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 21:32 - Jun 27 by SheffordBlue

"But it never felt comprehensive, and critically there were no people or structures in place to implement them!"

Totally agree and would add "and with no upfront investement to achieve them".

The current owners are investing to achieve a return.

Imagine the KPIs:

Shirt sales
Home attendances
season ticket sales

Looking rather healthy indeed, and looks like the value of the club, hence the investment is on the right trend.

BUT, this is predicated on a fan base forged in the success of Burley… and who are desperate for success… the goodwill is there… but it simply cannot endure League One for much longer, these ‘KPI’ upticks will be for nothing without promotion to the championship

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 00:07 - Jun 28 with 2565 viewspointofblue

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 21:31 - Jun 27 by unstableblue

I think what with derail the project frankly is the pressure of expectation and McKenna still being a little green

All the pieces of the jigsaw seem to be in place… but Bolton will come equally fired up, equally a club on the rise, you then go to Forest Green for their first game at this level, and it becomes a lottery, then you’re playing a very very well coached MK Dons now with money to spend….

How do we all react if expecatations of a flying start wobble, and pressure mounts. We just need to keep our heads, work frickin hard and try and get some belief and momentum going…

"How do we all react if expecatations of a flying start wobble, and pressure mounts."

Considering last season... not well?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 02:41 - Jun 28 with 2413 viewschicoazul

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 21:07 - Jun 27 by Illinoisblue

Looking forward to sampling the exciting new retail offering and the baked-in infrastructure improvements as we draw 0-0 at home to Fleetwood in a must win game.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 06:48 - Jun 28 with 2194 viewsArnieM

That’s a helluva big fag packet isn’t it 👍

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 07:00 - Jun 28 with 2155 viewstextbackup

It’s so well managed that we’ll be in the top 2… playoffs not needed, and Ed sheeran to sing ‘we are the champions’ on trophy lifting day

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 07:27 - Jun 28 with 2057 viewsChurchman

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 21:25 - Jun 27 by unstableblue

Exactamundo Dubster

I’d have thought Evans’ efforts would have been more than a fag packet, given his ability to make £. But were they? The five point plan was basically twaddle peddled out to the supporters. Investment in the club was zero.

The only plan was bung a little bit of money in up front to make a quick buck with promotion to the PL. When that blew up in his face, there was no plan B. It was just try save as much money as possible while keeping the club just about afloat and hope the manager can pull off a miracle.

Investing in the club itself? Nah, not a penny piece. Bung in a stooge to front it and hope for the best. Get the pre season notes for the supporters written to hopefully drag in a few more season tickets.

Alan Lee’s interview a year ago on the Hurst period was very instructive on just how poor it all was. We were heading for L2 and beyond.

Ok the Americans’ language is a little different but what they are trying to do makes perfect sense and after a year they seem serious about it. You have to build from the foundations up in my view. I know that’s not how Darren Bent sees it. His view was it’s all about the first team. I get what he’s saying.

However, surely the lesson from the Cobbold years was that if the club is set up right, with structure and good people in the right places, success will follow. I think our owners are trying to do that.
CAN PSPRS ACTUALLY get a decent return?!? on 07:34 - Jun 28 with 2033 viewsunstableblue

As a follow-up, saw the below on Twitter:

“Was fortunate enough to chat to @marksteed09 at Needham on Saturday. Refreshingly honest and straightforward chat. “We have made an investment and expect a return on that investment.” That isn’t going to happen in L1. Excited for the season”

Made me think what a challenge to get a truly decent return is going to be!

They’ve spent £40m on an asset, that was actually in debt to Evans for £100m. We’ve been losing circa £5m a year, went up to £10m with the COVID season.

Yes attendances, shirt sales and season ticket sales are up…. But given the calibre of players brought in wages will still dwarf that income.

Would love to see the financial accounts for last FY under full gamechanger ownership.

Add in wages for Ladapo and Ball, PA system, dug outs, new screen - that’s what? at least another £1.5m to go in the loss column for the new FY! That’s revenue gone for 4000 season tickets right there!

Feels like at least a 5 year project to get us challenging at the top of the Championship; complete rough finger in the air £80m debt by then?

Note our actual squad value is estimated at currently £17m.

It’s a tall order. And predicated surely on being stable in the premier league! Fulham went for £200m in 2013. But with an incredible ground asset.

£125m debt for an £175m sale in 2030?! Not a bad ROI!

I apologies for the completely random numbers used in this post!

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 08:10 - Jun 28 with 1860 viewsHighgateBlue

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 21:47 - Jun 27 by unstableblue

Imagine the KPIs:

Shirt sales
Home attendances
season ticket sales

Looking rather healthy indeed, and looks like the value of the club, hence the investment is on the right trend.

BUT, this is predicated on a fan base forged in the success of Burley… and who are desperate for success… the goodwill is there… but it simply cannot endure League One for much longer, these ‘KPI’ upticks will be for nothing without promotion to the championship

Promotion is the KPI which dwarfs all others. There can be no material increase in value in L1. A hell of a lot of trust is being placed in KMac. Fortunately at present, he appears to be the man. First half dozen games of the season will be fascinating.
CAN PSPRS ACTUALLY get a decent return?!? on 08:10 - Jun 28 with 1865 viewsSheffordBlue

CAN PSPRS ACTUALLY get a decent return?!? on 07:34 - Jun 28 by unstableblue

“Was fortunate enough to chat to @marksteed09 at Needham on Saturday. Refreshingly honest and straightforward chat. “We have made an investment and expect a return on that investment.” That isn’t going to happen in L1. Excited for the season”

They’ve spent £40m on an asset, that was actually in debt to Evans for £100m. We’ve been losing circa £5m a year, went up to £10m with the COVID season.

Yes attendances, shirt sales and season ticket sales are up…. But given the calibre of players brought in wages will still dwarf that income.

Would love to see the financial accounts for last FY under full gamechanger ownership.

Add in wages for Ladapo and Ball, PA system, dug outs, new screen - that’s what? at least another £1.5m to go in the loss column for the new FY! That’s revenue gone for 4000 season tickets right there!

Feels like at least a 5 year project to get us challenging at the top of the Championship; complete rough finger in the air £80m debt by then?

It’s a tall order. And predicated surely on being stable in the premier league! Fulham went for £200m in 2013. But with an incredible ground asset.

The owners have previously said that the UK market is underpriced so there's an expectation that valuations for clubs will rise significantly in the future. "If" this were to happen they could potentially sell the club for more than they paid for it without having turned a profit in any year.

Improving the infrastructure and showing improvements in non-ticket and non-match day revenue will only increase that valuation. Add a couple of promotions on top and the value of the club will go even higher.

Of course much of this only works if their assessment that the uK market is underpriced turns out to be true...

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

CAN PSPRS ACTUALLY get a decent return?!? on 08:40 - Jun 28 with 1726 viewsGuthrum

CAN PSPRS ACTUALLY get a decent return?!? on 07:34 - Jun 28 by unstableblue

ST sales are indeed about 4k up on a couple of seasons ago. Plus the pretty huge (for L1) attendances over the last year will have put some money in the bank.

For the latest accounts available at Companies House (up to June 2020*), the total for all staff wages, including NI and pensions, was 120% of turnover. Some decent commercial activities (e.g. concerts) and good cup runs (which lead to TV appearances, too) should defray some of that. But chiefly, the first stage is going to be a matter of getting back into the Championship, when money from the League, TV, etc., increases by about three times (in 2020 it was £2.76m, in 2019, before relegation, £8.35m). I know wages will also increase, but not by that much.

* A season curtailed by Covid, thus probably worse than usual, plus the first one after relegation, when we almost certainly had more players on higher wages, left over from the Championship.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

CAN PSPRS ACTUALLY get a decent return?!? on 08:47 - Jun 28 with 1691 viewsGuthrum

CAN PSPRS ACTUALLY get a decent return?!? on 08:10 - Jun 28 by SheffordBlue

The owners have previously said that the UK market is underpriced so there's an expectation that valuations for clubs will rise significantly in the future. "If" this were to happen they could potentially sell the club for more than they paid for it without having turned a profit in any year.

Improving the infrastructure and showing improvements in non-ticket and non-match day revenue will only increase that valuation. Add a couple of promotions on top and the value of the club will go even higher.

Of course much of this only works if their assessment that the uK market is underpriced turns out to be true...

Tho the investments and, especially, the promotions will have added very considerable value even without market underpricing. Which is why they went for a big-ish but slightly down-at-heel club in L1.

CAN PSPRS ACTUALLY get a decent return?!? on 08:47 - Jun 28 with 1690 viewsChurchman

CAN PSPRS ACTUALLY get a decent return?!? on 08:10 - Jun 28 by SheffordBlue

I’ve heard this repeatedly. I presume it’s in relation to other sports.

Considering they were looking at Newcastle with all they have in the PL, the investment in ITFC is relatively small and the potential return high if the U.K. market is underpriced and especially if they can get the club in the PL. The potential is there.

The Americans didn’t buy the club because they love Ipswich Town any more than the Russians gave Raab and co money because they like the tories. They will want a return on their money. The difference is approach. They know that to get the best return they have to sort out the mess and get the club going forwards.

I bet Ashton gets a tough time off the Americans. I’ve never worked for one but I know plenty of people who have and they tend to be pretty demanding. There’s nothing wrong in that.
Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 09:04 - Jun 28 with 1608 viewsGuthrum

If the investors are taking a long enough view, then a narrow failure for demonstrable reasons will count for at least some progress, as opposed to simply not being good enough, employing tactics which don't work, or something like that. They must know (the Gamechanger crew having invested in football before) that being involved in sport includes a certain degree of raw chance, which can derail the best-laid plans. It's more a matter of controlling what they can to minimise that risk.

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 09:11 - Jun 28 with 1563 viewsGuthrum

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 07:27 - Jun 28 by Churchman

I’d have thought Evans’ efforts would have been more than a fag packet, given his ability to make £. But were they? The five point plan was basically twaddle peddled out to the supporters. Investment in the club was zero.

The only plan was bung a little bit of money in up front to make a quick buck with promotion to the PL. When that blew up in his face, there was no plan B. It was just try save as much money as possible while keeping the club just about afloat and hope the manager can pull off a miracle.

Investing in the club itself? Nah, not a penny piece. Bung in a stooge to front it and hope for the best. Get the pre season notes for the supporters written to hopefully drag in a few more season tickets.

Alan Lee’s interview a year ago on the Hurst period was very instructive on just how poor it all was. We were heading for L2 and beyond.

Ok the Americans’ language is a little different but what they are trying to do makes perfect sense and after a year they seem serious about it. You have to build from the foundations up in my view. I know that’s not how Darren Bent sees it. His view was it’s all about the first team. I get what he’s saying.

However, surely the lesson from the Cobbold years was that if the club is set up right, with structure and good people in the right places, success will follow. I think our owners are trying to do that.

Think there are a couple of key differences.

In 2007 we were seemingly within a short step of the play-offs and promotion to the Prem. Certainly not the case now, there can be no such illusions. Neither can a managerial candidate with the gift of the gab come along and glibly promise such a thing would be easy.

Secondly, it may be showing the difference between an investor coming in from a completely different industry, compared with people who have actual football experience - and are prepared to employ others who do to run things, beyond handing it to the Manager (whose nose is too close to the grind-stone and provides no continuity if they fail or move on).

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 09:15 - Jun 28 with 1528 viewsGuthrum

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 08:10 - Jun 28 by HighgateBlue

Promotion is the KPI which dwarfs all others. There can be no material increase in value in L1. A hell of a lot of trust is being placed in KMac. Fortunately at present, he appears to be the man. First half dozen games of the season will be fascinating.

Trust, yes. But also (one gets the impression) providing a lot more support than the previous setup. Both in terms of staff and in having someone on hand with the authority to make and implement decisions.

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 09:23 - Jun 28 with 1493 viewsStewart27

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 21:31 - Jun 27 by unstableblue

Disagree to an extent.

Bolton should be thinking damn we’ve got Ipswich first.
Forest Green should be thinking damn we’ve got Ipswich at home first.
MK Dons should be thinking damn we’ve got Ipswich early.

No more excuses for a poor start.
CAN PSPRS ACTUALLY get a decent return?!? on 09:57 - Jun 28 with 1357 viewsDyland

CAN PSPRS ACTUALLY get a decent return?!? on 08:47 - Jun 28 by Churchman

I’ve heard this repeatedly. I presume it’s in relation to other sports.

Considering they were looking at Newcastle with all they have in the PL, the investment in ITFC is relatively small and the potential return high if the U.K. market is underpriced and especially if they can get the club in the PL. The potential is there.

The Americans didn’t buy the club because they love Ipswich Town any more than the Russians gave Raab and co money because they like the tories. They will want a return on their money. The difference is approach. They know that to get the best return they have to sort out the mess and get the club going forwards.

I bet Ashton gets a tough time off the Americans. I’ve never worked for one but I know plenty of people who have and they tend to be pretty demanding. There’s nothing wrong in that.

I have some experience with the US corporate world and yes you can bet yer ass, excuse the phrase, that Ashton will be under intense scrutiny and pressure every step of the way. As you say, quite rightly considering the funding source.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 11:14 - Jun 28 with 1147 viewsDyland

Fascinated by Mark Steed interview… now this.. on 07:00 - Jun 28 by textbackup

It’s so well managed that we’ll be in the top 2… playoffs not needed, and Ed sheeran to sing ‘we are the champions’ on trophy lifting day

I know your tongue's in yer cheek, but that would be peak cringe. Slightly less so for promotion from Champ, but we're getting well ahead of ourselves here ba.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024