Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Captain Tom inquiry 16:33 - Jun 30 with 1836 viewsMullet

What do we think will happen here then? Prison time for these sorts of things sounds right but I can't imagine it'll get that far.

Absolute travesty they seemed to pimp out any exposure possible, but then more fool us for relying on an old boy to do laps when the government really should run the NHS and fund it.

https://news.sky.com/story/captain-tom-moore-foundation-to-be-investigated-by-ch

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The Captain Tom inquiry on 16:37 - Jun 30 with 1799 viewsbluelagos

Prison time? You think we have a functioning police/cps/judiciary system that holds white collar criminals (If that is what they are) to account?

Chances of them ending up in court...sfa in my opinion. They clearly didn't understand the difference between a charity and a business - lots of blurred lines and defo a sour taste in the mouth.

But prison time? Nah, not happening.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The Captain Tom inquiry on 16:40 - Jun 30 with 1761 viewsMullet

The Captain Tom inquiry on 16:37 - Jun 30 by bluelagos

Prison time? You think we have a functioning police/cps/judiciary system that holds white collar criminals (If that is what they are) to account?

Chances of them ending up in court...sfa in my opinion. They clearly didn't understand the difference between a charity and a business - lots of blurred lines and defo a sour taste in the mouth.

But prison time? Nah, not happening.

I agree, it's a bit like the outcry at the McCann's "getting off lightly" I suspect and they don't fit the profile of looking criminal enough. But it reads far less like a misunderstanding and a naked cash grab they felt they could legitimise.

The Captain Tom inquiry on 18:56 - Jun 30 with 1508 viewsArnoldMoorhen

As I've said before, the signs were there at the beginning.

The old man made a massive deal of doing laps of his garden every day on breakfast tv.

But I watched, and he was doing widths.

They should have made him start again and do the whole thing properly.
The Captain Tom inquiry on 19:06 - Jun 30 with 1454 viewschicoazul

I still haven’t seen any confirmation which side he fought on during the war.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Captain Tom inquiry on 19:10 - Jun 30 with 1444 viewsSwansea_Blue

Without landing Phil in trouble, could it just be that the thing was too big for them to handle, rather than them being deliberately fraudulent? Huge sums of money to deal with if you’ve got no experience, structure or processes in place. I suppose we’ll find the answer to that through the investigation.

I’m always a bit cautious of charity causes and like to do my homework on the organisation, even if just being aware of how much of their donations actually goes to the cause and how. It seems too easy to exploit the generosity of others.

And yes, despite what he did there shouldn’t be a need for it if govt managed the NHS properly.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Captain Tom inquiry on 19:12 - Jun 30 with 1415 viewsMullet

The Captain Tom inquiry on 19:10 - Jun 30 by Swansea_Blue

Without landing Phil in trouble, could it just be that the thing was too big for them to handle, rather than them being deliberately fraudulent? Huge sums of money to deal with if you’ve got no experience, structure or processes in place. I suppose we’ll find the answer to that through the investigation.

I’m always a bit cautious of charity causes and like to do my homework on the organisation, even if just being aware of how much of their donations actually goes to the cause and how. It seems too easy to exploit the generosity of others.

And yes, despite what he did there shouldn’t be a need for it if govt managed the NHS properly.

I think it's pretty clear they put themselves front and centre no matter how big it got, hence the inquiry. Given the previous findings over their conduct, it seems they've definitely upset someone high up.

The Captain Tom inquiry on 19:21 - Jun 30 with 1344 viewsArnoldMoorhen

That's a very "charitable" take. But rule one is: don't set up a charity if you don't know how to run a charity. But it looks a lot worse than that to me.

The whole thing was a weird personality cult, which the family loved playing up. Have any NHS workers on here seen a framed photo of Captain Sir Tom in your hospital anywhere? I bet you fcking have! How much did they all cost, and was that REALLY what people thought was meant by "raising funds for the NHS"?

Lots of chefs and pub landlords and landladies were facing incredibly difficult times and yet threw themselves into providing meals for the needy in their community, or NHS workers, during the pandemic. I knew one who provided meals for the homeless until the day he went bust and his restaurant was taken off him. He was way more self-sacrificial than Captain Sir Tom, yet no knighthood, and no framed photos...
The Captain Tom inquiry on 19:27 - Jun 30 with 1318 viewsMullet

The Captain Tom inquiry on 19:21 - Jun 30 by ArnoldMoorhen

That's a very "charitable" take. But rule one is: don't set up a charity if you don't know how to run a charity. But it looks a lot worse than that to me.

The whole thing was a weird personality cult, which the family loved playing up. Have any NHS workers on here seen a framed photo of Captain Sir Tom in your hospital anywhere? I bet you fcking have! How much did they all cost, and was that REALLY what people thought was meant by "raising funds for the NHS"?

Lots of chefs and pub landlords and landladies were facing incredibly difficult times and yet threw themselves into providing meals for the needy in their community, or NHS workers, during the pandemic. I knew one who provided meals for the homeless until the day he went bust and his restaurant was taken off him. He was way more self-sacrificial than Captain Sir Tom, yet no knighthood, and no framed photos...

On that point, you cannot blame the old boy whatsoever. He clearly wanted to do something and comes from a generation that already gave so much.

The cult and distasteful marketing you describe certainly wasn't his doing. It's a massive shame his image and reputation has been eaten away at. The government and media are complicit in using him too.

Reminds me of the Soviet superworkers etc.

Login to get fewer ads

The Captain Tom inquiry on 19:32 - Jun 30 with 1282 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s an I’ll-informed take more than anything. The scale and hero worship didn’t sit too easy with me at the time, so I’ve certainly got no argument with what you’re saying.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Captain Tom inquiry on 19:38 - Jun 30 with 1252 viewsbluelagos

Setting up a charity and then employing yerself on a six figure salary...doesn't strike me as them being out of their depth.

I've been involved in a couple of charities early doors - there is a lot of learning and there are mistakes made for sure. But if anyone had suggested taking a 100k salary for their time - (as a trustee) I'd have happily told them to gtf!

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The Captain Tom inquiry on 20:32 - Jun 30 with 1083 viewsEastTownBlue

It was a media feel good story in the darkest of times early on in the pandemic. His daughter was certainly milking the publicity.

But what musn't be confused is the £30m odd that was raised which went to NHS charities and their foundation with the tacky merchandise that was created afterwards.
The Captain Tom inquiry on 20:37 - Jun 30 with 1063 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

I work in the sector and this kind of thing is thankfully rare. Very hard to say what the balance is incompetence vs deliberate malfeasance might be. At this stage it's just an investigation by the charity commission who don't have powers of arrest etc. Most likely result would be them being barred from running a charity similar to a bankrupt company director.

I would say that running a large charity is far harder than people realise. At scale you need professional staff that understand the relevant legislation, particularly in fundraising. The commercial deals piece is generally very poorly understood by smaller charities. Essentially they're has to be a contract in place and the consumer should know exactly what amount is being donated to the charity either as an amount per purchase or the full donation. Loads of small charities get this wrong but most of them aren't helping enrich a related party!

This isn't to say volunteer led charities don't do amazing work. They do amazing things the bigger players can't, particularly in local areas or niche causes. But if you fumdraise or deliver at scale you almost always need to professionalise.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

The Captain Tom inquiry on 22:26 - Jun 30 with 884 viewsghostofescobar

The Captain Tom inquiry on 19:06 - Jun 30 by chicoazul

I still haven’t seen any confirmation which side he fought on during the war.

Napoleon’s, I think.

GhostOfEscobar

The Captain Tom inquiry on 22:49 - Jun 30 with 809 viewsbrazil1982

The government do fund the NHS, many billions a year. You can argue it isn't enough...the funds raised went to NHS charities, not the treasury.
The Captain Tom inquiry on 04:02 - Jul 1 with 637 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I stumbled across something about this a long time ago before it had all come out and his daughter in particular should hang her head in shame. Used her old man for a holiday and some cash on the hip by the sound of it. Was a very good piece but can’t rememeber where I found it at the time

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024