Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt 17:02 - Jun 30 with 3866 viewsBonneNIL

According to the EADT which we broadly knew. I don't think he should be quite painted a hero for doing that, as it was his decision-making and policies that ended up losing the club a shed load of money and in the third tier where the losses due to Covid were pretty substantial. The absolute insanity around 2018 still haunts me to this day, putting Paul Hurst in charge of Ipswich Town was akin to handling toddlers with a tin of paint and brushes and letting them redecorate the house. Yes, it's cheaper than a decorator but the results will be terrible.

Most people lose money on a bad investment at some point in their lives, or due to bad decision-making, you learn from it, it doesn't make it heroic. It was entirely his own fault, he inherited a reasonably well-run club with an alright manager and a handful of good players. His administration did not make use of that. He had to sell the club when he did too, and the only way of doing that was by offloading the debt, he wasn't going to get anything for it at all otherwise. That's not charity, it's business. He was right to sell when he did as well, it would have only lost more value had he hung on.

Can you imagine what Cook would have managed on the Evans budget? Imagine the injuries too...

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:10 - Jun 30 with 2788 viewsSTYG

Evans, quite simply, was a man who allowed his bull, that had massive behavioural issues, into the ITFC china shop and then when it kicked over most of the plates causing untold damage, didn't bother to remove it but allowed it to just keep doing more and more damage.

To his credit, he did then offer to pay towards it.

Nothing more, nothing less. He got us into a mess, continued to make it worse and then repaired most of the damage.
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:23 - Jun 30 with 2749 viewssuffolkpoker

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:10 - Jun 30 by STYG

Evans, quite simply, was a man who allowed his bull, that had massive behavioural issues, into the ITFC china shop and then when it kicked over most of the plates causing untold damage, didn't bother to remove it but allowed it to just keep doing more and more damage.

Nothing more, nothing less. He got us into a mess, continued to make it worse and then repaired most of the damage.

haha that's a fantastic explanation for the Evans banta era.
have an uppie!

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:33 - Jun 30 with 2711 viewsRocky

"The absolute insanity around 2018 still haunts me to this day, putting Paul Hurst in charge of Ipswich Town was akin to handling toddlers with a tin of paint and brushes and letting them redecorate the house."

Yet this was the same Paul Hurst who was widely approved of on here. Let's not pretend that it was an unpopular choice by Evans.
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:36 - Jun 30 with 2670 viewswkj

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:33 - Jun 30 by Rocky

"The absolute insanity around 2018 still haunts me to this day, putting Paul Hurst in charge of Ipswich Town was akin to handling toddlers with a tin of paint and brushes and letting them redecorate the house."

Yet this was the same Paul Hurst who was widely approved of on here. Let's not pretend that it was an unpopular choice by Evans.

Paul Hurst did seem to tick a lot of boxes, but Jack Ross was my top pick at the time. I still think he'd have been a much better shout. Some say he failed at Sunderland, but I still think he did well there for the mess their squad was in.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 18:55 - Jun 30 with 2478 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yep. He should be widely criticised for his poor stewardship of the club, which resulted in the debt and us lamely dropping into the third tier for the first time in 55 years (or whatever it was).

I was a big critic for a long time. But credit where it’s due, he did the right thing by us by writing off the debt and not being a ‘dodgy’ owner. And for doing his due diligence in finding what looks like (so far) a decent buyer. There’s plenty of owners around who leave clubs as basket cases (Blackpool, Derby, etc). For all his faults ME wasn’t a cowboy.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 19:15 - Jun 30 with 2419 viewsFrimleyBlue

Evans was a man who was sold the dream of premiership football with a 1/2 season outlay of funds. This didn't happen.
He was then left with something he didn't want. Couldn't fund and pride and a lack of interest resulted in town not being a sellable asset.

He did a lot wrong. And in hindsight wasn't the best owner Sheepshanks could have sold us to, but its done now.

Just hope this new owner pot doesn't lose interest in funding the club IF we failed to get promoted as quickly as they expect.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 19:22 - Jun 30 with 2384 viewschicoazul

The further I get from it the more sorry I feel for Mini Roy. Hopeless yes and totally out of his depth but that wasn’t really his fault.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 19:41 - Jun 30 with 2337 viewsChurchman

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:10 - Jun 30 by STYG

Agree with this.

I would add that my dad as a sideline was self employed working from home for a number of years. His accounts, put together by an proper accountant, showed a loss every single year. The taxman took an awful lot less tax from his various incomes than he should have paid compared to people on PAYE. All of it watertight legal.

Whatever has been published about Marcus Evans Group ITFC losses/write offs I’m sure will be legally spot on. What the club actually cost ME Group in real money? More qualified and informed people than me will I’m sure have some idea.

I can’t forgive Evans. He destroyed my football club. It was heading for L2 and beyond. Of that, I’ve no doubt. The new owners may fail, but at least we’ve a chance the club might recover to something near where I think it should be.
Login to get fewer ads

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 19:43 - Jun 30 with 2314 viewsKeno

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 18:55 - Jun 30 by Swansea_Blue

Yep. He should be widely criticised for his poor stewardship of the club, which resulted in the debt and us lamely dropping into the third tier for the first time in 55 years (or whatever it was).

I was a big critic for a long time. But credit where it’s due, he did the right thing by us by writing off the debt and not being a ‘dodgy’ owner. And for doing his due diligence in finding what looks like (so far) a decent buyer. There’s plenty of owners around who leave clubs as basket cases (Blackpool, Derby, etc). For all his faults ME wasn’t a cowboy.

Yes but think of how much tax he saved in the years he owned the club!!!

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 19:44 - Jun 30 with 2313 viewsSwansea_Blue

Covered most of the cost of the damage but left other people to fix it and find more funds to fix it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:45 - Jun 30 with 2306 viewsmarchy

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 19:22 - Jun 30 by chicoazul

The further I get from it the more sorry I feel for Mini Roy. Hopeless yes and totally out of his depth but that wasn’t really his fault.

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 19:46 - Jun 30 with 2309 viewsmarchy

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 19:22 - Jun 30 by chicoazul

Yes, Evans basically held a gun to his head and forced him to accept the job and behave like a prick.
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 22:43 - Jun 30 with 2023 viewsHighgateBlue

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 19:15 - Jun 30 by FrimleyBlue

Evans was a man who was sold the dream of premiership football with a 1/2 season outlay of funds. This didn't happen.
He was then left with something he didn't want. Couldn't fund and pride and a lack of interest resulted in town not being a sellable asset.

He did a lot wrong. And in hindsight wasn't the best owner Sheepshanks could have sold us to, but its done now.

Just hope this new owner pot doesn't lose interest in funding the club IF we failed to get promoted as quickly as they expect.

It's not just losing interest in funding the club that we need worry if we failed to get promoted quickly. It's also the writing off the debt thing. For all Evans' faults, there surely can't be that many owners at this level who write off £100m of debt, and there's no guarantee that an entity looking after the pension funds of others would do that.
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 06:01 - Jul 1 with 1835 viewsbobbyramsey

But he didn’t repair the damage, we are still a mid-table, third division outfit.
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 06:05 - Jul 1 with 1820 viewsbobbyramsey

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 22:43 - Jun 30 by HighgateBlue

It's not just losing interest in funding the club that we need worry if we failed to get promoted quickly. It's also the writing off the debt thing. For all Evans' faults, there surely can't be that many owners at this level who write off £100m of debt, and there's no guarantee that an entity looking after the pension funds of others would do that.

The money from the pension fund is an investment not a loan, I don’t think we’ll owe them anything.
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 06:29 - Jul 1 with 1792 viewsMJallday

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 06:05 - Jul 1 by bobbyramsey

The money from the pension fund is an investment not a loan, I don’t think we’ll owe them anything.

Sorry I still can’t forgive Evans for not opening his wallet in “that” January transfer window

I suggest we do a Bobby ewing and pretend the last 15 or so
Years haven’t happened

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 07:22 - Jul 1 with 1742 viewsBlueBadger

...as long as you ignore the tactics, man management and transfer policy, our relegation definitely had nothing to do with him.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 08:04 - Jul 1 with 1671 viewsDubtractor

I wouldn't go that far, but it wasn't his fault that Evans let him run riot with seemingly no oversight whatsoever. We're still paying the price for that summer.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 08:24 - Jul 1 with 1613 viewsITFC_Forever

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:33 - Jun 30 by Rocky

It was seen as a good choice as Mick's relationship with alot of fans and the football he was serving up led many to yearn for a change - any change.

But as it turned out, Hurst and Deputy Doig turned out not to be the answer for all manner of reasons, but that still doesn't mean the decision to part company with Mick was the wrong one - there's two decisions in that process... first the one to make a change, then second, who the new person would be.

Going back to Evans, every one of his managerial appointments ended badly - some took longer to get there than others.
And trying to pick the worst one is impossible as all bar Mick (as he at least gave us a couple of good seasons) were dreadful .... Keane, Jewell, Hurst, Lambert - all abysmal.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 08:32 - Jul 1 with 1583 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 07:22 - Jul 1 by BlueBadger

...as long as you ignore the tactics, man management and transfer policy, our relegation definitely had nothing to do with him.

Chickers is a desperate edge-lord these days. I dunno what's up with him but I hope he's alright.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 08:46 - Jul 1 with 1520 viewsNBVJohn

It was not an unpopular choice at the time.

However, what quickly became apparent was the total lack of check and balance that any sensible Board would put in place to oversee an inexperienced manager. It simply wasn’t there and Hurst’s arrogance, which if channelled positively could have made him a winner was left unchecked and the result was devastating.

The culture of mediocrity was already endemic and to be fair to Hurst he tried to sort it, but he had neither the experience or the back room support needed to guide him through. He was arrogant enough to go it alone with the knuckle dragging Doig as his only ally.

Ultimately in less than 6 months, instead of Hurst stepping up to Championship level, we were dragged down to his League 1 level.

Hurst was Evans fault from start to finish.
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 08:56 - Jul 1 with 1501 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 08:24 - Jul 1 by ITFC_Forever

It was seen as a good choice as Mick's relationship with alot of fans and the football he was serving up led many to yearn for a change - any change.

But as it turned out, Hurst and Deputy Doig turned out not to be the answer for all manner of reasons, but that still doesn't mean the decision to part company with Mick was the wrong one - there's two decisions in that process... first the one to make a change, then second, who the new person would be.

Going back to Evans, every one of his managerial appointments ended badly - some took longer to get there than others.
And trying to pick the worst one is impossible as all bar Mick (as he at least gave us a couple of good seasons) were dreadful .... Keane, Jewell, Hurst, Lambert - all abysmal.

Cook was abysmal too!
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 08:58 - Jul 1 with 1493 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Yes, all of this. But no credit to Evans in my book. My feelings toward Evans are well known so I won't go too deep, but he bought a football club, thought it would just get promoted to the Prem with no real effort, quickly found him self out of his depth and then through his own arrogance refused to appoint anyone with football knowledge to help him.

Lots of people have asked previously why the likes of Clegg, Milne and latterly O'Neill as they weren't football people. Put simply, because football people would have had more knowledge than him and he wouldn't have been able to control them in the same way.

His vanity project led us to L1 I can't forgive him ever for what he did to our club and if he ever showed up in his box, which he retains, I would be leading the booing.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 9:00]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 09:01 - Jul 1 with 1456 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 08:58 - Jul 1 by Cheltenham_Blue

Yes, all of this. But no credit to Evans in my book. My feelings toward Evans are well known so I won't go too deep, but he bought a football club, thought it would just get promoted to the Prem with no real effort, quickly found him self out of his depth and then through his own arrogance refused to appoint anyone with football knowledge to help him.

Lots of people have asked previously why the likes of Clegg, Milne and latterly O'Neill as they weren't football people. Put simply, because football people would have had more knowledge than him and he wouldn't have been able to control them in the same way.

His vanity project led us to L1 I can't forgive him ever for what he did to our club and if he ever showed up in his box, which he retains, I would be leading the booing.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 9:00]

Lee O'Neill was a football person.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 09:26 - Jul 1 with 1415 viewsSTYG

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 06:01 - Jul 1 by bobbyramsey

But he didn’t repair the damage, we are still a mid-table, third division outfit.

Hence why I said most of the damage.

He wrote off all the debt which would likely have destroyed us eventually but left us a division worse off and about 24 league places in total.

One promotion, which should be achievable with a club our size, over the next few years and we'll be back to vaguely where we were but without the debt.

So for all his destruction he did clear a lot of it up, but no doubt we've been left worse off.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024