Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt 17:02 - Jun 30 with 3867 viewsBonneNIL

According to the EADT which we broadly knew. I don't think he should be quite painted a hero for doing that, as it was his decision-making and policies that ended up losing the club a shed load of money and in the third tier where the losses due to Covid were pretty substantial. The absolute insanity around 2018 still haunts me to this day, putting Paul Hurst in charge of Ipswich Town was akin to handling toddlers with a tin of paint and brushes and letting them redecorate the house. Yes, it's cheaper than a decorator but the results will be terrible.

Most people lose money on a bad investment at some point in their lives, or due to bad decision-making, you learn from it, it doesn't make it heroic. It was entirely his own fault, he inherited a reasonably well-run club with an alright manager and a handful of good players. His administration did not make use of that. He had to sell the club when he did too, and the only way of doing that was by offloading the debt, he wasn't going to get anything for it at all otherwise. That's not charity, it's business. He was right to sell when he did as well, it would have only lost more value had he hung on.

Can you imagine what Cook would have managed on the Evans budget? Imagine the injuries too...

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 09:33 - Jul 1 with 784 viewsDyland

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 08:32 - Jul 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

Chickers is a desperate edge-lord these days. I dunno what's up with him but I hope he's alright.

He could do with a shmoke imho
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 11:17]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 09:38 - Jul 1 with 779 viewsDyland

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 06:29 - Jul 1 by MJallday

Sorry I still can’t forgive Evans for not opening his wallet in “that” January transfer window

I suggest we do a Bobby ewing and pretend the last 15 or so
Years haven’t happened

Didn't McCarthy say he didn't especially want to buy? Does McCarthy have a habit of strengthening challenging near the top in Jan, a la Burley re Marcus Stewart?

@Phil... were McCarthy's comments at the time a cover for Evans do we think (or know)?
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 9:39]

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 09:41 - Jul 1 with 777 viewsDyland

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 19:43 - Jun 30 by Keno

Yes but think of how much tax he saved in the years he owned the club!!!

I believe he actually MADE money from his dodgy tax savings from offsetting losses... or something...

It isn't really possible in reality, but I believe it anyway.

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 09:49 - Jul 1 with 749 viewsPhilTWTD

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 09:38 - Jul 1 by Dyland

Didn't McCarthy say he didn't especially want to buy? Does McCarthy have a habit of strengthening challenging near the top in Jan, a la Burley re Marcus Stewart?

@Phil... were McCarthy's comments at the time a cover for Evans do we think (or know)?
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 9:39]

Mick did talk about 'Rodney Marsh syndrome', about not making changes which might impact negatively on the team. I think they made attempts to strengthen, Freddie Sears came in, they tried to sign Billy Sharp on loan from Leeds. Big blow up front, of course, was losing McGoldrick to injury, although Sears did score regularly having come in.

There wasn't quite the same need to sign players in January that there is now as you could sign players on loan until the end of March, which they did. Chris Wood came in but never really got fit before he was recalled. From what I remember the club weren't too disappointed he was recalled. Zeki Fryers was also brought in when someone got injured or suspended, might have been Tyrone.

I think if Mick had made a strong case for somebody else to come in in January Marcus would probably have gone for it. I'm not sure Mick ever thought we were going to finish in the top two, to be honest. I think he felt there were better sides than us and that they'd eventually push ahead of us.
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 09:49 - Jul 1 with 748 viewsDyland

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 08:56 - Jul 1 by FrankfurtBlue

Cook was abysmal too!

He was, but slightly different circumstances what with the change of ownership and funding. It would be interesting to see an alternate history of Cook with no takeover and MEG funding... I say interesting, probs even more horrific than it was.

ta (n/t) on 09:51 - Jul 1 with 746 viewsDyland

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 09:49 - Jul 1 by PhilTWTD

Mick did talk about 'Rodney Marsh syndrome', about not making changes which might impact negatively on the team. I think they made attempts to strengthen, Freddie Sears came in, they tried to sign Billy Sharp on loan from Leeds. Big blow up front, of course, was losing McGoldrick to injury, although Sears did score regularly having come in.

There wasn't quite the same need to sign players in January that there is now as you could sign players on loan until the end of March, which they did. Chris Wood came in but never really got fit before he was recalled. From what I remember the club weren't too disappointed he was recalled. Zeki Fryers was also brought in when someone got injured or suspended, might have been Tyrone.

I think if Mick had made a strong case for somebody else to come in in January Marcus would probably have gone for it. I'm not sure Mick ever thought we were going to finish in the top two, to be honest. I think he felt there were better sides than us and that they'd eventually push ahead of us.

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 10:48 - Jul 1 with 704 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 08:46 - Jul 1 by NBVJohn

It was not an unpopular choice at the time.

However, what quickly became apparent was the total lack of check and balance that any sensible Board would put in place to oversee an inexperienced manager. It simply wasn’t there and Hurst’s arrogance, which if channelled positively could have made him a winner was left unchecked and the result was devastating.

The culture of mediocrity was already endemic and to be fair to Hurst he tried to sort it, but he had neither the experience or the back room support needed to guide him through. He was arrogant enough to go it alone with the knuckle dragging Doig as his only ally.

Ultimately in less than 6 months, instead of Hurst stepping up to Championship level, we were dragged down to his League 1 level.

Hurst was Evans fault from start to finish.

He wasn't with us too long. The players begged Evans to get rid of him. They got their wish so what is their excuse for having shown no semblance of fight after Hurst had left?

Yes we have had very poor managers but neither Hurst nor Kambert nor Cook were as bad as the players and their stinking attitude. It is so fashionable to blame these three managers but why the attitude of players isn't being questioned?

Fortunately though Cook did his demolition job and kicked that mob out of the club. The solitary good thing he did for the club.
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 11:08 - Jul 1 with 675 viewsITFC_Forever

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 08:56 - Jul 1 by FrankfurtBlue

Cook was abysmal too!

True, and he was appointed by ME, but the vast majority of his tenure was under the new owners.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 11:17 - Jul 1 with 663 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 11:08 - Jul 1 by ITFC_Forever

True, and he was appointed by ME, but the vast majority of his tenure was under the new owners.

Yes and they backed him to the hilt with funds. Not sure they are to blame for his incompetence.
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 12:55 - Jul 1 with 614 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 19:15 - Jun 30 by FrimleyBlue

Evans was a man who was sold the dream of premiership football with a 1/2 season outlay of funds. This didn't happen.
He was then left with something he didn't want. Couldn't fund and pride and a lack of interest resulted in town not being a sellable asset.

He did a lot wrong. And in hindsight wasn't the best owner Sheepshanks could have sold us to, but its done now.

Just hope this new owner pot doesn't lose interest in funding the club IF we failed to get promoted as quickly as they expect.

By all accounts Evans was the only viable option as a buyer. There’s lots of talk on here about the mess he created, but very little on the mess he inherited, namely a Club coming out of administration having to sell its best assets just to pay the wage bill. Yes he did plenty wrong, but to put all the ills of the Club at his door is a very selective recollection of what went on

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 13:05 - Jul 1 with 595 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 12:55 - Jul 1 by southnorfolkblue

By all accounts Evans was the only viable option as a buyer. There’s lots of talk on here about the mess he created, but very little on the mess he inherited, namely a Club coming out of administration having to sell its best assets just to pay the wage bill. Yes he did plenty wrong, but to put all the ills of the Club at his door is a very selective recollection of what went on

Thats utter nonsense. If the club was in a mess following his takeover, explain Gio, explain the signings made in the summer he took over, explain our 7th place finish that year, just off the playoffs.

Blaming the previous administration for our relegation and the mess we became is very much like blaming the previous Labour government for the mess we are in now.

Someone upvote me to compensate for DaveU
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 13:08]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 10:13 - Jul 2 with 496 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 13:05 - Jul 1 by Cheltenham_Blue

Thats utter nonsense. If the club was in a mess following his takeover, explain Gio, explain the signings made in the summer he took over, explain our 7th place finish that year, just off the playoffs.

Blaming the previous administration for our relegation and the mess we became is very much like blaming the previous Labour government for the mess we are in now.

Someone upvote me to compensate for DaveU
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 13:08]

If it was so tickety boo why were people celebrating so much when Evans came on board? We had no money and were going nowhere. Granted nowhere was probably better than where we ended up.

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 11:18 - Jul 2 with 482 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 06:29 - Jul 1 by MJallday

Sorry I still can’t forgive Evans for not opening his wallet in “that” January transfer window

I suggest we do a Bobby ewing and pretend the last 15 or so
Years haven’t happened

Everyone knew at the time we had a golden chance to get promotion with a couple of quality signings. But they of course never came.

And then less than 18 months later we decided to sell the leagues top scorer and replace him with Leon Best on a free. Evans Out!

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 11:41 - Jul 2 with 472 viewsTheBoyBlue

I don't hate Evans or anything like that and having seen how other owners have left clubs out to dry when they left I am grateful that he was considered in who he passed the club to. I don't buy all this tax dodge nonsense that some spout, I just think he didn't know what he was doing.

However, he was slowly killing this club and had destroyed the legacy left us by Ramsey and Robson and it makes me sad (and in moments when I lack perspective, angry too) all those wasted years. My eldest is 15 and has been coming to Town games for 10 years and apart from the play-off season has had none of the memories that I was blessed to have growing up following ITFC and other youngsters typically get following their local team.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 11:55 - Jul 2 with 468 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 11:18 - Jul 2 by The_Romford_Blue

Everyone knew at the time we had a golden chance to get promotion with a couple of quality signings. But they of course never came.

And then less than 18 months later we decided to sell the leagues top scorer and replace him with Leon Best on a free. Evans Out!

As many have explained, including Phil, that's not necessarily down to Evans. Mick didn't want to upset the team dynamic, or didn't think he could get better.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 14:04 - Jul 2 with 440 viewsmarchy

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 10:48 - Jul 1 by Mach_foreignBlue

He wasn't with us too long. The players begged Evans to get rid of him. They got their wish so what is their excuse for having shown no semblance of fight after Hurst had left?

Yes we have had very poor managers but neither Hurst nor Kambert nor Cook were as bad as the players and their stinking attitude. It is so fashionable to blame these three managers but why the attitude of players isn't being questioned?

Fortunately though Cook did his demolition job and kicked that mob out of the club. The solitary good thing he did for the club.

As ever Mach, please do elaborate on which of Cook's bomb squad wanted relegation so badly that they were willing to take a massive pay cut to get it.

Was it Chambers, the 33-year-old defender with whom time was catching up?
Was it Skuse, the 32-year-old defensive midfielder with whom time was catching up?
Was it Bart, the international goalkeeper?
Was it Downes, who's currently being touted for a big money move to the Premiership?
Was it Sears, the ageing striker banished from the side?

Or is all that nonsense, and it was actually the fact that you need to score goals to stay in the Championship, and we were entirely dependent on the likes of Harrison, Jackson and Nolan for ours, none of whom have been anywhere near the Championship at any other time? Mere months after we had Waghorn, Garner and McGoldrick on our books?

Remind me, who did all that to us again?
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:19 - Jul 2 with 408 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 11:55 - Jul 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

As many have explained, including Phil, that's not necessarily down to Evans. Mick didn't want to upset the team dynamic, or didn't think he could get better.

I think it’s obvious that Mick was trying to save Evans from the fans kicking off when he said that.

His later interviews when he wasn’t trying to lick Evans ass highlights that Evans didn’t give him a pot to piss in.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:36 - Jul 2 with 398 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 14:04 - Jul 2 by marchy

As ever Mach, please do elaborate on which of Cook's bomb squad wanted relegation so badly that they were willing to take a massive pay cut to get it.

Was it Chambers, the 33-year-old defender with whom time was catching up?
Was it Skuse, the 32-year-old defensive midfielder with whom time was catching up?
Was it Bart, the international goalkeeper?
Was it Downes, who's currently being touted for a big money move to the Premiership?
Was it Sears, the ageing striker banished from the side?

Or is all that nonsense, and it was actually the fact that you need to score goals to stay in the Championship, and we were entirely dependent on the likes of Harrison, Jackson and Nolan for ours, none of whom have been anywhere near the Championship at any other time? Mere months after we had Waghorn, Garner and McGoldrick on our books?

Remind me, who did all that to us again?

They didn't mind a massive pay-cut last year either when offered the contracts by Colchester.

You put your nose in and start yapping some nonsense without actually answering my question re their lack of fight. 

Derby County from last season put the Ipswich Town 2018/19 shower of s**t to shame. Derby the motley crew of kids (about 40-50% of their team) and a few free agents have shown what the fight for the fans and shirt alike is unlike your heroes. 

Did you enjoy clapping them off after the relegation was confirmed after the Birmingham game?
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:38 - Jul 2 with 395 viewsPhilTWTD

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 11:18 - Jul 2 by The_Romford_Blue

The Leon Best replacing Murph thing isn't quite true. Best was offered a contract as cover for Murph before Newcastle made an offer. Big failing was not being able to bring in a replacement for Murph.
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:39 - Jul 2 with 391 viewsmarchy

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:36 - Jul 2 by Mach_foreignBlue

They didn't mind a massive pay-cut last year either when offered the contracts by Colchester.

You put your nose in and start yapping some nonsense without actually answering my question re their lack of fight. 

Derby County from last season put the Ipswich Town 2018/19 shower of s**t to shame. Derby the motley crew of kids (about 40-50% of their team) and a few free agents have shown what the fight for the fans and shirt alike is unlike your heroes. 

Did you enjoy clapping them off after the relegation was confirmed after the Birmingham game?

However hard Chambers, Skuse and Bart fought - and they did - they were not responsible for us not scoring enough goals, and therefore winning enough games, to avoid relegation. Sears could have played a part, but Paul Hurst kicked him out of the team.

I've answered your question regarding the "lack of fight" of the players you're constantly targeting - I think you're talking a load of nonsense.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2022 17:40]
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:43 - Jul 2 with 378 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:39 - Jul 2 by marchy

However hard Chambers, Skuse and Bart fought - and they did - they were not responsible for us not scoring enough goals, and therefore winning enough games, to avoid relegation. Sears could have played a part, but Paul Hurst kicked him out of the team.

I've answered your question regarding the "lack of fight" of the players you're constantly targeting - I think you're talking a load of nonsense.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2022 17:40]

They did

No, you didn't.

Hurst was bad for them, so was Lambert, so was Cook........Poor souls these players !
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:51 - Jul 2 with 370 viewsmarchy

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:43 - Jul 2 by Mach_foreignBlue

They did

No, you didn't.

Hurst was bad for them, so was Lambert, so was Cook........Poor souls these players !

You do understand that players generally become less capable the further they go into their 30s, right?
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:53 - Jul 2 with 369 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:51 - Jul 2 by marchy

You do understand that players generally become less capable the further they go into their 30s, right?

Does it stop them from putting the effort in? Again, Derby County from last season is a good example as to how to fight for the shirt and fans alike.
Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 18:30 - Jul 2 with 326 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 17:19 - Jul 2 by The_Romford_Blue

I think it’s obvious that Mick was trying to save Evans from the fans kicking off when he said that.

His later interviews when he wasn’t trying to lick Evans ass highlights that Evans didn’t give him a pot to piss in.

It's not obvious at all, that's just the narrative you want to follow. I can only go on what he said, and I don't see why he'd want to take that flack on himself by saying what he said. He can just say "there isn't the money" without it being an attack on Evans per se, if that's what you think he was worried about.

I've not seen the interviews you mention. Besides, my point wasn't about a general "pot to piss in", it was specifically about that January.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 20:09 - Jul 2 with 312 viewsjas0999

Evans swallowed the cost of Covid and wrote off a ton of debt on 09:49 - Jul 1 by PhilTWTD

Sure I read an article where MM suggested he gave ME a list of players he wanted when sitting top, but for whatever reason the deals couldn’t be completed. Essentially blaming Evans. Could be wrong.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024