Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking forward to the test match against India 08:26 - Jul 1 with 741 viewsChrisd

England are without doubt a different proposition to last summer. Will be interesting to see how the Indian bowlers approach it. The Indians might be a little undercooked regarding test match cricket. A good time to play them.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Looking forward to the test match against India on 08:38 - Jul 1 with 705 viewsCoastalblue

My worry is that there will be times when we crash and burn the way we play, 400 or 120 all out, it's how the media and supporters react when it goes badly that might determine a lot. Stupid shot to play at a time like that as opposed to blistering innings.

Going to be an interesting and fun ride though.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Looking forward to the test match against India on 09:26 - Jul 1 with 664 viewsGuthrum

Looking forward to the test match against India on 08:38 - Jul 1 by Coastalblue

My worry is that there will be times when we crash and burn the way we play, 400 or 120 all out, it's how the media and supporters react when it goes badly that might determine a lot. Stupid shot to play at a time like that as opposed to blistering innings.

Think it will work as long as we have an effective, accumulating anchor (Root, obviously, tho Overton and Pope have shown they can do it,too) and more than one player who can hit out, in case the first one goes (in addition to Bairstow, there is Stokes and, to an extent, even Broad).

By having a philosophy of always going for it - to set a target or reach a total - the opposition always have to be on their toes to limit scoring and teke wickets. One slip and England can get away alarmingly quickly. That high scoring rate also ensures there is time in the game, taking the draw out of the equation.

Plus this team have shown that failure in one innings is no guarantee of doing the same in the other. Even a collapse may still not result in a low score all out. England's bowlers can attack with the confidence of having behind them runs not yet on the board.

Also, if Leach continues playing like that, it will be really tricky for opponents.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Looking forward to the test match against India on 09:53 - Jul 1 with 643 viewsCoastalblue

Looking forward to the test match against India on 09:26 - Jul 1 by Guthrum

Think it will work as long as we have an effective, accumulating anchor (Root, obviously, tho Overton and Pope have shown they can do it,too) and more than one player who can hit out, in case the first one goes (in addition to Bairstow, there is Stokes and, to an extent, even Broad).

By having a philosophy of always going for it - to set a target or reach a total - the opposition always have to be on their toes to limit scoring and teke wickets. One slip and England can get away alarmingly quickly. That high scoring rate also ensures there is time in the game, taking the draw out of the equation.

Plus this team have shown that failure in one innings is no guarantee of doing the same in the other. Even a collapse may still not result in a low score all out. England's bowlers can attack with the confidence of having behind them runs not yet on the board.

Also, if Leach continues playing like that, it will be really tricky for opponents.

I don't disagree, and hope all you say is true and that we're not chatting about a potential deficit of 350 over a burnt sausage tomorrow evening.

I think I've had too many decades of England not losing a wicket, they lose them in a pair at best.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Looking forward to the test match against India on 10:00 - Jul 1 with 636 viewsmylittletown

The Indian bowling attack is a different proposition from NZ though.
Bumrah is genuinely quick and Ashwin and/or Jadeja are both serious spin bowlers
Looking forward to the test match against India on 10:04 - Jul 1 with 617 viewsGuthrum

Looking forward to the test match against India on 09:53 - Jul 1 by Coastalblue

I don't disagree, and hope all you say is true and that we're not chatting about a potential deficit of 350 over a burnt sausage tomorrow evening.

I think I've had too many decades of England not losing a wicket, they lose them in a pair at best.

The opener situation still isn't properly sorted, tho Lees looks decent. So we're still quite likely to arrive at thirty or forty for two fairly early in the innings. I do wonder how many more chances Crawley will get (good close-in fielding notwithstanding).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Looking forward to the test match against India on 10:38 - Jul 1 with 563 viewsTractorBrew

Attending tomorrow. Recently it has just been an excuse to have a day with mates on the beer, especially last year against NZ, but I am actually looking forward to the cricket this time round. Just a shame not got a seat in the Hollies, reckon it will be pretty lively
Looking forward to the test match against India on 11:25 - Jul 1 with 531 viewsChrisd

Looking forward to the test match against India on 08:38 - Jul 1 by Coastalblue

My feelings too, especially in a series that could easily run away from you. I think of the Aussies or Indians on their turf. It's all good at the moment because we are winning matches, but as we all know that can quickly change with a few innings that miss fire.

Looking forward to the test match against India on 11:28 - Jul 1 with 526 viewsChrisd

Looking forward to the test match against India on 10:04 - Jul 1 by Guthrum

The opener situation still isn't properly sorted, tho Lees looks decent. So we're still quite likely to arrive at thirty or forty for two fairly early in the innings. I do wonder how many more chances Crawley will get (good close-in fielding notwithstanding).

He's got this test then there's a few weeks break before the SA series commences, it gives him and other contenders their chance to score a few runs on the county scene.

Login to get fewer ads

Looking forward to the test match against India on 12:35 - Jul 1 with 495 viewsElephantintheRoom

Just don’t buy a ticket for the 4th and 5th days. The bish, bash, bosh against a side only here for the money might well be over within 3 days.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024