Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
“Semi-automated” offside technology…. 09:04 - Jul 1 with 1548 viewsBloots

….being used at the World Cup.

Data points.

Kick points.

Artificial intelligence.

Etc, etc.

What could possibly go wrong??

Modern football is rubbish.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 05:42 - Jul 2 with 1349 viewsPioneerBlue

Get rid of offsides, they are an unnecessary distraction of the game for refs and rubbish lions and are used purely to create talking points for boring premier league pundits with var. This don’t result in goal hanging, if you get goal hanging this results in one team having fewer players to win keep ball if that’s how you want to play.

Get rid of subs and have up to 5 rolling subs to speed up the game, they’ve become a tactical opportunity to slow the game and waste time.

Both these exist in hockey and the game is far more free flow and exciting to watch for fans.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 08:08 - Jul 2 with 1280 viewsOsborneOneNil

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 05:42 - Jul 2 by PioneerBlue

Get rid of offsides, they are an unnecessary distraction of the game for refs and rubbish lions and are used purely to create talking points for boring premier league pundits with var. This don’t result in goal hanging, if you get goal hanging this results in one team having fewer players to win keep ball if that’s how you want to play.

Get rid of subs and have up to 5 rolling subs to speed up the game, they’ve become a tactical opportunity to slow the game and waste time.

Both these exist in hockey and the game is far more free flow and exciting to watch for fans.

Can’t stand hockey.
“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 09:04 - Jul 2 with 1241 viewsjayessess

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 08:08 - Jul 2 by OsborneOneNil

Can’t stand hockey.

why on Earth would football, the world's most popular sport, try to turn itself into hockey, a sport no one cares about?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 09:09 - Jul 2 with 1226 viewsKeno

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 08:08 - Jul 2 by OsborneOneNil

Can’t stand hockey.

People who like hockey can just puck off

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 08:01 - Jul 4 with 1083 viewsPioneerBlue

Some missed points here as is usual on this board.

The game is more often than not, low scoring and slow, it’s typically passion for your club and the desire to win that makes it interesting, it is often not the game and the goals. Watching many other clubs is a waste of time most of the time.

To think football can’t learn from other sport is probably why we end up with teams taking it in turns to roll around time wasting, substitutes at time when one team is under pressure and taking minutes to leave the field and offside/ VAR decisions being bigger talking points than the game itself.

See OP for why it would be interesting to end offside and have rolling subs. If we were trying to make football into hockey, the suggesting would have been to reduce the size of goals and use a stick.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 08:22 - Jul 4 with 1024 viewsitfcjoe

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 08:01 - Jul 4 by PioneerBlue

The game is more often than not, low scoring and slow, it’s typically passion for your club and the desire to win that makes it interesting, it is often not the game and the goals. Watching many other clubs is a waste of time most of the time.

To think football can’t learn from other sport is probably why we end up with teams taking it in turns to roll around time wasting, substitutes at time when one team is under pressure and taking minutes to leave the field and offside/ VAR decisions being bigger talking points than the game itself.

See OP for why it would be interesting to end offside and have rolling subs. If we were trying to make football into hockey, the suggesting would have been to reduce the size of goals and use a stick.

I don't agree with the rolling subs part but do re the changes in hockey - another one being you can take a free kick to yourself and just dribble it - too many chances to slow the game down in football which hockey has eradicated.

I agree re offside too, the rule is so watered down now, as a defender it would be easier if it didn't exist as least you'd know you have to defend everything

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 08:22 - Jul 4 with 1022 viewsBlueRaider

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 08:01 - Jul 4 by PioneerBlue

Agree entirely, look at cricket, rugby and NFL for how VAR could work so much better.

Look at rugby and NFL for penalties more proportionate to the offence rather than relying on the geography of the pitch

As you say, look at hockey (ice I presume you are referring to ?) for subs

Something needs to be done about all the s@£thousing and timewasting too

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 09:49 - Jul 4 with 952 viewsCheltenham_Blue

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 08:22 - Jul 4 by BlueRaider

Agree entirely, look at cricket, rugby and NFL for how VAR could work so much better.

Look at rugby and NFL for penalties more proportionate to the offence rather than relying on the geography of the pitch

As you say, look at hockey (ice I presume you are referring to ?) for subs

Something needs to be done about all the s@£thousing and timewasting too

The big problem with it is VAR shouldn't be anywhere near offside decisions except in clear and obvious mistakes.

When has there ever been any controversy based around someones knee being 8mm offside?

Never, only when a player has been clearly offside. If they wish to automate it, then there should be a tolerance built in, my suggestion would be 25cm about half the depth of the average footballer.

A tolerance of around that depth would represent, in the main, a clear and obvious mistake.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 10:49 - Jul 4 with 878 viewsjayessess

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 09:49 - Jul 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

The big problem with it is VAR shouldn't be anywhere near offside decisions except in clear and obvious mistakes.

When has there ever been any controversy based around someones knee being 8mm offside?

Never, only when a player has been clearly offside. If they wish to automate it, then there should be a tolerance built in, my suggestion would be 25cm about half the depth of the average footballer.

A tolerance of around that depth would represent, in the main, a clear and obvious mistake.

That's just moving the offside line to 25cm behind the defender though, isn't it? Same fine margins happens, just with a slight head start for the forward is all.

The main problem with VAR is that it's an annoying delay to play that wrecks the experience of actually watching the game live. I'd do away with it on that basis alone.

The main image problem with VAR is that everyone imagines that every marginally offside goal would stand if it weren't being picked up by VAR. But referee's assistants would give plenty of these as offside (as well as routinely flagging onside players as off).

I'd bin the whole tech, but short of that semi-automating it so 99% of decisions are made straightaway is an improvement for me.

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 12:01 - Jul 4 with 830 viewsMattinLondon

Personally I’ll get rid of throw ins and replace with kick ins but state that the nearest player of the team awarded the kick in has to take it within ten seconds. If not, then it’ll be awarded the other way.
“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 12:15 - Jul 4 with 801 viewsjayessess

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 12:01 - Jul 4 by MattinLondon

Personally I’ll get rid of throw ins and replace with kick ins but state that the nearest player of the team awarded the kick in has to take it within ten seconds. If not, then it’ll be awarded the other way.

Why not just have a time limit for throws?

Football's been perfectly watchable with throw-ins for most of its existence and it's too big a punishment for the defending team. Even with a 10-second limit the attacking team gets a chance to strike a dead ball into the area, with no pressure on the taker.

You're never going to fix time-wasting entirely, but a few things you could do:

(a) Get the 4th official to keep time, not the referee. Whilst you're in the midst of things you often don't perceive every stoppage in play, which is why stoppage time is often massively undercounted.

(b) Introduce 60-minutes in play as a minimum.

(c) Enforce time-limits for throw-ins and goal kicks. Enforce the current limit on goalkeepers holding the ball properly.

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 12:34 - Jul 4 with 778 viewsLankHenners

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 10:49 - Jul 4 by jayessess

That's just moving the offside line to 25cm behind the defender though, isn't it? Same fine margins happens, just with a slight head start for the forward is all.

The main problem with VAR is that it's an annoying delay to play that wrecks the experience of actually watching the game live. I'd do away with it on that basis alone.

The main image problem with VAR is that everyone imagines that every marginally offside goal would stand if it weren't being picked up by VAR. But referee's assistants would give plenty of these as offside (as well as routinely flagging onside players as off).

I'd bin the whole tech, but short of that semi-automating it so 99% of decisions are made straightaway is an improvement for me.

Yeah, never got the argument that giving the 'advantage' to the attacker in those situations helps anything as there'll always be a point where the player is on or off which is what the whole furore over VAR is all about.

Does make you think they should have waited until they had this semi-assisted stuff sorted out before implementing VAR - the technology clearly wasn't far off being thrashed out and would have saved the massive hoo-hah and tedious debate over the last few years.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 12:39 - Jul 4 with 744 viewsPhilTWTD

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 12:01 - Jul 4 by MattinLondon

I believe they did that in a foreign league and it just led to the ball being belted into the box any time there was a kick-in more than a couple of yards inside either half.
“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 14:19 - Jul 4 with 649 viewsVaughan8

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 05:42 - Jul 2 by PioneerBlue

I don't know the history of the offside rule but surely it was brought in because "goal-hanging" was happening?

If you take it away, I'm sure it would come back.

I know some won't agree but I wouldn't mind seeing the time stopped when its a freekick etc so time wasting isn't too much of a "thing" anymore. God know when the games would end though! haha

On VAR, I'm sure we were all sold it as "clear and obvious". A toenail offside isn't clear and obvious so whatever decision is given stands.
Its almost like they have this technology now and they want to use it for everything and every minute detail!
[Post edited 4 Jul 2022 14:21]
“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 14:31 - Jul 4 with 634 viewsjayessess

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 14:19 - Jul 4 by Vaughan8

I don't know the history of the offside rule but surely it was brought in because "goal-hanging" was happening?

If you take it away, I'm sure it would come back.

I know some won't agree but I wouldn't mind seeing the time stopped when its a freekick etc so time wasting isn't too much of a "thing" anymore. God know when the games would end though! haha

On VAR, I'm sure we were all sold it as "clear and obvious". A toenail offside isn't clear and obvious so whatever decision is given stands.
Its almost like they have this technology now and they want to use it for everything and every minute detail!
[Post edited 4 Jul 2022 14:21]

It's not just goal-hanging, offside is integral to the whole dynamic of the game as it stands. The current rules encourage teams to squeeze up the pitch, safe in the knowledge that opposition forwards can't just take a 5 metre head start on them. Do away with offside and you can't do that anymore, you have to drop back to wherever the forward is.

For forwards too. Timing your run, angling your run, is a big part of your skillset as a forward, which you'd just be doing away with.

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 15:56 - Jul 4 with 598 viewsCheltenham_Blue

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 12:39 - Jul 4 by PhilTWTD

I believe they did that in a foreign league and it just led to the ball being belted into the box any time there was a kick-in more than a couple of yards inside either half.

Its a Arsen Wenger initiative isn't it? Being trialled in The Netherlands. And as you said, giving attacking teams a massive advantage from a throw in.

Imaging Ben Tozer being able the throw the ball 3 times as far.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 16:08 - Jul 4 with 575 viewsSTYG

“Semi-automated” offside technology…. on 14:31 - Jul 4 by jayessess

It's not just goal-hanging, offside is integral to the whole dynamic of the game as it stands. The current rules encourage teams to squeeze up the pitch, safe in the knowledge that opposition forwards can't just take a 5 metre head start on them. Do away with offside and you can't do that anymore, you have to drop back to wherever the forward is.

For forwards too. Timing your run, angling your run, is a big part of your skillset as a forward, which you'd just be doing away with.

Exactly. Offside is never going away.

Both teams would end up having at least one player stay in the box and people would end up punting it long so much that the game would be unwatchable.

When they haven't even changed to kick ins, which make far more sense than throws, I think offside is safe.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024