Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can't see that Penney has a future at Town 12:25 - Jul 5 with 5395 viewscbower

Leigh in and Still looking to bring in another. Question mark against Ndaba's future to if this kid from Leeds can play cb , lb and lwb. 1 million plus add ons is serious money for us.

bluescouser

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 12:29 - Jul 5 with 2997 viewsGarv

I do hope Leigh and Leif (seriously?) can cross a ball because we'll miss that from Penney if and when he leafes.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 12:31 - Jul 5 with 2990 viewsitfcjoe

Penney clearly a goner one way or another - think this spells end for Burgess too if we could shift him we surely will

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 12:33 - Jul 5 with 2955 viewsmarkchips

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 12:31 - Jul 5 by itfcjoe

Penney clearly a goner one way or another - think this spells end for Burgess too if we could shift him we surely will

I agree, some serious upgrades by McKenna and much younger, fitter players that can play several positions, so that tactical changes can be easily absorbed. Clever work.
Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 12:36 - Jul 5 with 2932 viewscbower

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 12:31 - Jul 5 by itfcjoe

Not that he has been particularly poor but Burgess was a panic buy when we suddenly looked light with some injuries and Cook's lack of trust in Wolf and Janoi. He is not a bad player but he is so vulnerable to any pace as he is very slow on the turn. Penney is too lightweight defensively I'm afraid.

bluescouser

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 12:47 - Jul 5 with 2825 viewsitfcjoe

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 12:36 - Jul 5 by cbower

Not that he has been particularly poor but Burgess was a panic buy when we suddenly looked light with some injuries and Cook's lack of trust in Wolf and Janoi. He is not a bad player but he is so vulnerable to any pace as he is very slow on the turn. Penney is too lightweight defensively I'm afraid.

Was so stupid to release Wilson and Chambers and then spend £750k on Burgess and give him a 3 year deal - he's just not very good.

Could have offered Wilson a 2 year deal, or Chambers a 1 year deal, on far less money than we will be paying Burgess and they'd have bitten our hand off for it

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 12:56 - Jul 5 with 2745 viewsGuthrum

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 12:29 - Jul 5 by Garv

I do hope Leigh and Leif (seriously?) can cross a ball because we'll miss that from Penney if and when he leafes.

Leigh and Leif sounds a bit like a Fairport Convention album.

Tho the latter is an old Scandinavian name, as in Leif Erikson, viking discoverer of Vinland.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 12:58 - Jul 5 with 2724 viewsFrimleyBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 12:47 - Jul 5 by itfcjoe

Was so stupid to release Wilson and Chambers and then spend £750k on Burgess and give him a 3 year deal - he's just not very good.

Could have offered Wilson a 2 year deal, or Chambers a 1 year deal, on far less money than we will be paying Burgess and they'd have bitten our hand off for it

You'd have kept an ageing cb who just scrapped relegation with Colchester? I know he's a mate but come on Joe.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:02 - Jul 5 with 2699 viewsdavblue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 12:58 - Jul 5 by FrimleyBlue

You'd have kept an ageing cb who just scrapped relegation with Colchester? I know he's a mate but come on Joe.

There’s 11 players in a team!

If either of them were back ups to come in as cover they would have been fine. We won’t make any money on Burgess, probably a significant loss so it would have made better business sense to keep one on the older players.
Login to get fewer ads

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:05 - Jul 5 with 2664 viewsFrimleyBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:02 - Jul 5 by davblue

If either of them were back ups to come in as cover they would have been fine. We won’t make any money on Burgess, probably a significant loss so it would have made better business sense to keep one on the older players.

And if you watch back a load of the goals they conceded chambers was in no mans land.

Absolutely I don't Burgess. But that still doesn't mean chambers should have been kept. No way.

Burgess covered the lcb role. Chambers wouldn't have done.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2022 13:08]

Waka waka eh eh

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:09 - Jul 5 with 2626 viewscbower

Indeed, that would have been Player of the Year Wilson who had never let Town down. Whilst I loved Chambo Joe, reluctantly I did feel his time was up - Cook just dealt with it all so poorly and with a lack of respect.

bluescouser

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:11 - Jul 5 with 2599 viewsitfcjoe

I can't read Frimmers comments as have him on ignore, but he clearly misses the point that Burgess is a significant outlay for a 26 year old who is a lower league CB, who now has a 3 year deal on good money.

Like Pigott, this will be a drain on us as he isn't good enough - for the 18 or so games he played for us last eyar that could have been covered far more cheaply without an ongoing cost

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:12 - Jul 5 with 2598 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Wilson I think we should have kept. Chambo had to go or the refresh would have been pointless with his influence still around.

Is Burgess an upgrade on Wilson, I don't think so but equally he grew into last season so we'll see. Hopefully Ndaba and Baggott can kick on this season and of both are part of the 1st team there is an argument that he could be moved on, not sure we'd get our money back.

Penney does look like his writing is on the wall but he came in as a free so if we got a feel for him that's fine, he's one that yoh don't feel too bad about moving on from.

I think we need 1x creative MF, 1x striker if we can move Pig on,

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:12 - Jul 5 with 2581 viewsdavblue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:05 - Jul 5 by FrimleyBlue

And if you watch back a load of the goals they conceded chambers was in no mans land.

Absolutely I don't Burgess. But that still doesn't mean chambers should have been kept. No way.

Burgess covered the lcb role. Chambers wouldn't have done.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2022 13:08]

He would have been fine as cover.
Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:15 - Jul 5 with 2559 viewsdavblue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:11 - Jul 5 by itfcjoe

I can't read Frimmers comments as have him on ignore, but he clearly misses the point that Burgess is a significant outlay for a 26 year old who is a lower league CB, who now has a 3 year deal on good money.

Like Pigott, this will be a drain on us as he isn't good enough - for the 18 or so games he played for us last eyar that could have been covered far more cheaply without an ongoing cost

Yeah totally. They both could have filled a gap without the 750k outlay.

I’ve pasted his reply if you aren’t interested sorry!

“You'd have kept an ageing cb who just scrapped relegation with Colchester? I know he's a mate but come on Joe”
Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:16 - Jul 5 with 2560 viewsitfcjoe

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:09 - Jul 5 by cbower

Indeed, that would have been Player of the Year Wilson who had never let Town down. Whilst I loved Chambo Joe, reluctantly I did feel his time was up - Cook just dealt with it all so poorly and with a lack of respect.

Wilson was the more obvious choice to stay, was more making point we'd have had to offer him 2 years to stay, so there was another option with offering Chambers 1 if we didn't want to commit to Wilson - as it is we've committed for far longer, for far more money to a worse player

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:17 - Jul 5 with 2533 viewsGuthrum

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:09 - Jul 5 by cbower

The thing which concerned me (at the time) about Wilson was the large chunks of the season he spent injured, combined with his age. Tho, of course, he went on to play virtually every game for Plymouth thereafter.

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:22 - Jul 5 with 2481 viewsFrimleyBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:15 - Jul 5 by davblue

Yeah totally. They both could have filled a gap without the 750k outlay.

I’ve pasted his reply if you aren’t interested sorry!

“You'd have kept an ageing cb who just scrapped relegation with Colchester? I know he's a mate but come on Joe”

Interesting you think we spent more on burgess than we did on morsy. 750k lol.

Waka waka eh eh

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:25 - Jul 5 with 2458 viewsFrimleyBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:17 - Jul 5 by Guthrum

The thing which concerned me (at the time) about Wilson was the large chunks of the season he spent injured, combined with his age. Tho, of course, he went on to play virtually every game for Plymouth thereafter.

The mentions of Wilson in this thread seem to ignore his actual time with us. Hindsight is wonderful. He went on and had a good season. But he had his injury woes at town and it was at the time the correct decision as was letting chambers go.

Don't really see the point in ignoring how things were at the time by looking forward a season and then saying oh we should have done... football doesn't work like that. You act on what went on before.

Waka waka eh eh

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:31 - Jul 5 with 2409 viewscbower

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:25 - Jul 5 by FrimleyBlue

The mentions of Wilson in this thread seem to ignore his actual time with us. Hindsight is wonderful. He went on and had a good season. But he had his injury woes at town and it was at the time the correct decision as was letting chambers go.

Don't really see the point in ignoring how things were at the time by looking forward a season and then saying oh we should have done... football doesn't work like that. You act on what went on before.

He was voted Player of the Year. That's how good / bad his season was! Admittedly, he missed a fair chunk injured but that happens sometimes.

bluescouser

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:36 - Jul 5 with 2367 viewsFrimleyBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:31 - Jul 5 by cbower

He was voted Player of the Year. That's how good / bad his season was! Admittedly, he missed a fair chunk injured but that happens sometimes.

It was a sht year. Christ people made jokes of who to vote for as POTY

When he played he was fine. Nothing special nothing bad. Absolutely fine. But he did have fitness issues. So it makes complete sense why he wasn't kept when his contract was up. He'd played 17 games in that season.
Aged 32. And people think it was wrong to let go??

Again no one moaned about burgess signing and no I don't see him in the picture going forwards under KM but he's the only one who knows that. But it doesn't mean it was the wrong direction last summer.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2022 13:41]

Waka waka eh eh

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:40 - Jul 5 with 2324 viewsGuthrum

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:31 - Jul 5 by cbower

In a season when the most popular choice for winner was "none of them" and it was argued that the award itself should have been scrapped given how badly the team performed (especially towards the end). At the age of 30 and with an - apparently - worsening injury record, I can see why he was not retained, given the money being splashed to fund replacements.

Not saying I thought he was a poor player, far from it. Did well when he was on the pitch. Just he wasn't available a lot of the time and there was no guarantee that aspect would improve.

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:42 - Jul 5 with 2295 viewsclive_baker

Let's be honest, he's pretty pony. As weak as p1ss and never looked particularly convincing in a Town shirt.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:43 - Jul 5 with 2273 viewsFrimleyBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:40 - Jul 5 by Guthrum

In a season when the most popular choice for winner was "none of them" and it was argued that the award itself should have been scrapped given how badly the team performed (especially towards the end). At the age of 30 and with an - apparently - worsening injury record, I can see why he was not retained, given the money being splashed to fund replacements.

Not saying I thought he was a poor player, far from it. Did well when he was on the pitch. Just he wasn't available a lot of the time and there was no guarantee that aspect would improve.

He was 32 when we released him. It really wasn't the wrong decision.

Waka waka eh eh

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:47 - Jul 5 with 2231 viewsclive_baker

Easy to say that in hindsight though. I think needed freshening up and tbh I think letting Chambers go was absolutely the right thing to do. If nothing else it was symbolic, changing of the guard and a new era. Wilson was OK, a bit of a 'blocker', old school, but not suited to how we wanted to progress.

The fact we've overpaid and panic bought Burgess doesn't mean the decisions that were made prior to that weren't right at the time. I do think Burgess is pretty average though, how he's a £750k player at this level I'll never know.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:50 - Jul 5 with 2202 viewsHighgateBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:25 - Jul 5 by FrimleyBlue

Well how about this - during his actual time with us, his mean average performance score from the many hundreds of ratings of all our players on this website, was very significantly above any other player that season. And he won player of the year. At Ipswich. I thought it was stupid to let him go at the time, I said so, and I still think that. The evidence from what came afterwards simply proves that correct.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024