Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
George Hirst (Striker) 10:46 - Jul 7 with 4515 viewsWallingford_Boy

ZERO goals in 32 games for Rotherham season before last.

Did much better at Sheff Weds last season though (almost 1 in 3).

Answer to our goalscoring problems?

RIP Sir Bobby

George Hirst (Striker) on 10:47 - Jul 7 with 3498 viewsPhilTWTD

He was with Portsmouth last season.
George Hirst (Striker) on 10:47 - Jul 7 with 3481 viewsWallingford_Boy

George Hirst (Striker) on 10:47 - Jul 7 by PhilTWTD

He was with Portsmouth last season.

Apologies! Started at Sheff Weds.

RIP Sir Bobby

George Hirst (Striker) on 10:48 - Jul 7 with 3467 viewsPhilTWTD

George Hirst (Striker) on 10:47 - Jul 7 by Wallingford_Boy

Apologies! Started at Sheff Weds.

Indeed, I remember him playing alongside the likes of Dozzell, Downes and Morris for the England U18/U19s. Was the star of that team, I seem to recall.
George Hirst (Striker) on 10:49 - Jul 7 with 3426 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Thought he looked decent when I saw him last year. I’m a little surprised he’s seemingly top of the list now as was told that wasn’t the case a couple of months ago but guess things change quickly in transfer windows.
George Hirst (Striker) on 10:49 - Jul 7 with 3424 viewsSTYG

So this tells us that at the age of 20-21 he wasn't ready for the Championship (where Rotherham didn't score many either) and at the age of 21-22 he looked like he was starting to become a very decent League One striker.

The fact we play almost the opposite of Rotherham can also be taken into account. I know the Cowley's like to mix it up, but Hirst looks like he does all the things we'd want.

Plus Brendan Rodgers seems to rate him, which suggests he might just be good enough for us.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2022 10:52]
George Hirst (Striker) on 10:50 - Jul 7 with 3423 viewsWallingford_Boy

George Hirst (Striker) on 10:48 - Jul 7 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, I remember him playing alongside the likes of Dozzell, Downes and Morris for the England U18/U19s. Was the star of that team, I seem to recall.

Certainly comes from good stock and did end the season well with Pompey.

Seems to tick the boxes....

RIP Sir Bobby

George Hirst (Striker) on 10:52 - Jul 7 with 3376 viewssolemio

George Hirst and Wilfred Rhodes were superb bowlers for Yorkshire. Just a bit before even my time.
George Hirst (Striker) on 10:53 - Jul 7 with 3360 viewsMatt_Netherlands

I’ll be honest and say I’ve never seen him play!

What sort of striker is he? Was Portsmouth just the right fit at the right time (See Bonne up until October…), or does it seem like he’s found his feet now and maturing into a decent striker?
Login to get fewer ads

George Hirst (Striker) on 10:56 - Jul 7 with 3310 viewsSTYG

George Hirst (Striker) on 10:53 - Jul 7 by Matt_Netherlands

What sort of striker is he? Was Portsmouth just the right fit at the right time (See Bonne up until October…), or does it seem like he’s found his feet now and maturing into a decent striker?

Seen him maybe three times and looks like he's a bit of everything.

Tall, good control, fairly quick, can hold it up, can link up play and can finish. I'm not sure I've seen him look outstanding in any one department (probably why we might get him) but he looks like he's good at a bit of everything.
George Hirst (Striker) on 10:56 - Jul 7 with 3309 viewsWallingford_Boy

George Hirst (Striker) on 10:53 - Jul 7 by Matt_Netherlands

At 6ft 3" and the son of David Hirst, I can only assume he is more of an "old fashioned number 9".... but that is making assumptions.

RIP Sir Bobby

George Hirst (Striker) on 10:56 - Jul 7 with 3307 viewsjayessess

Bit more detail, 0 goals in 4 starts (and 27 sub appearances, totalling 663 minutes) for Rotherham, as a 21-year-old in a Championship team that ultimately got relegated. He's one who was highly rated as a teenager, but seems to have taken until the second half of last season to put it all together (scoring 11 in his last 17 games).

Like with Twine last season, the way you realise value on a player is by getting them when there's some risk of failure involved. Realistically, if you wait until Hirst proves himself a bit more in League One it'll be too late for us to get him.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

George Hirst (Striker) on 11:03 - Jul 7 with 3218 viewsclive_baker

He's looked good on the rare occasions I've seen him. I do find it strange that a player with his ability managed to score zero goals in 30 odd appearances for Rotherham, but they weren't a great side and struggled in the Championship. No idea where they were playing him and how many minutes those appearances actually gave him though.

For Pompey he started slowly, but seemed to get better as the season went on and he was flying in the final few months. Perhaps indicates he found his feet and starting to add goals to his game, I guess if you're cynical you might say it was a purple patch. Time will tell but he looks a handful, lanky, good movement. Got a bit of the John Stead's about him who is a player I really rated at Town. Decent in the air, decent with his feet. Pretty much all his Pompey goals with the exception of 1 or 2 were scored from about 6-8 yards out, in front of goal. Fox in the box type. Could see Burns laying on chances for him.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

George Hirst (Striker) on 11:05 - Jul 7 with 3141 viewsGarv

George Hirst (Striker) on 11:03 - Jul 7 by clive_baker

He's looked good on the rare occasions I've seen him. I do find it strange that a player with his ability managed to score zero goals in 30 odd appearances for Rotherham, but they weren't a great side and struggled in the Championship. No idea where they were playing him and how many minutes those appearances actually gave him though.

For Pompey he started slowly, but seemed to get better as the season went on and he was flying in the final few months. Perhaps indicates he found his feet and starting to add goals to his game, I guess if you're cynical you might say it was a purple patch. Time will tell but he looks a handful, lanky, good movement. Got a bit of the John Stead's about him who is a player I really rated at Town. Decent in the air, decent with his feet. Pretty much all his Pompey goals with the exception of 1 or 2 were scored from about 6-8 yards out, in front of goal. Fox in the box type. Could see Burns laying on chances for him.

Stead was underrated.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

George Hirst (Striker) on 11:05 - Jul 7 with 3130 viewsSTYG

Stead is a great comparison! What a player.

Tall, can hold it up, not slow and can pass and finish. Yeah I see a lot of similarities.
George Hirst (Striker) on 11:16 - Jul 7 with 3056 viewsclive_baker

George Hirst (Striker) on 11:05 - Jul 7 by Garv

Stead was underrated.

He really was. He was a quality, quality footballer and that's a hill I'm prepared to die on.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

George Hirst (Striker) on 11:21 - Jul 7 with 2978 viewsmarkchips

George Hirst (Striker) on 11:16 - Jul 7 by clive_baker

He really was. He was a quality, quality footballer and that's a hill I'm prepared to die on.

Agreed, never really understood why it unravelled at Town for Stead, always looked good whenever I saw him play.
George Hirst (Striker) on 11:22 - Jul 7 with 2971 viewsMatt_Netherlands

George Hirst (Striker) on 11:16 - Jul 7 by clive_baker

His overhead kick against reading 😍
George Hirst (Striker) on 11:31 - Jul 7 with 2917 viewsjayessess

They were bringing him on as an impact sub, only 4 starts, with 27 substitute appearances (total 662 minutes)

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

George Hirst (Striker) on 11:39 - Jul 7 with 2852 viewsBig_Jase

If you look at modern day strikers, there goal records tend at the start of their careers tends to be a bit patchy, I think this is down to most teams playing with one striker, and the physicality that’s requires, which may not come until later on in 20’s etc.

Hopefully that is the case with Hirst, had a great end to the season with Pompey and out of all the targets we have been linked with is the one I’m most excited about (providing it’s a permanent deal)

Sort of player if he does well this year, and we move up the leagues and form continues, could be sold for massive money.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

George Hirst (Striker) on 11:49 - Jul 7 with 2746 viewsmarkchips

George Hirst (Striker) on 11:39 - Jul 7 by Big_Jase

If you look at modern day strikers, there goal records tend at the start of their careers tends to be a bit patchy, I think this is down to most teams playing with one striker, and the physicality that’s requires, which may not come until later on in 20’s etc.

Hopefully that is the case with Hirst, had a great end to the season with Pompey and out of all the targets we have been linked with is the one I’m most excited about (providing it’s a permanent deal)

Sort of player if he does well this year, and we move up the leagues and form continues, could be sold for massive money.

I agree, let's hope we can use some of the Downes funds to get it over the line.
George Hirst (Striker) on 12:04 - Jul 7 with 2619 viewsdirtyboy

George Hirst (Striker) on 11:31 - Jul 7 by jayessess

They were bringing him on as an impact sub, only 4 starts, with 27 substitute appearances (total 662 minutes)

Agreed, hard to judge a player on what's effectively 7 games.
George Hirst (Striker) on 12:07 - Jul 7 with 2584 viewsGarv

George Hirst (Striker) on 11:21 - Jul 7 by markchips

Agreed, never really understood why it unravelled at Town for Stead, always looked good whenever I saw him play.

Keane felt it a good idea to loan him to Coventry and keep persisting with Priskin instead.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

George Hirst (Striker) on 13:44 - Jul 7 with 2174 viewsRozz

Just had a watch of his goals reel from last season with Pompey and actually see a lot of similarities with Bonne in the types of goals and finishes. Several seem to come from guiding home cutbacks and balls from wide, and he looks like he'd be a great target for our Wes.

If we can start being as productive down both flanks as we have been down the right, we just need someone that can force themselves into the right areas & finish.

Looks great in the air too.
George Hirst (Striker) on 13:50 - Jul 7 with 2120 viewsFrimleyBlue

George Hirst (Striker) on 13:44 - Jul 7 by Rozz

Just had a watch of his goals reel from last season with Pompey and actually see a lot of similarities with Bonne in the types of goals and finishes. Several seem to come from guiding home cutbacks and balls from wide, and he looks like he'd be a great target for our Wes.

If we can start being as productive down both flanks as we have been down the right, we just need someone that can force themselves into the right areas & finish.

Looks great in the air too.

I'd like to see a striker who can create their own goals, gaining a yard and smashing the ball in the opposite corner to what the GK is expecting. To many of our strikers recently have been all about getting on the end of something.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

George Hirst (Striker) on 14:18 - Jul 7 with 2028 viewsRozz

George Hirst (Striker) on 13:50 - Jul 7 by FrimleyBlue

I'd like to see a striker who can create their own goals, gaining a yard and smashing the ball in the opposite corner to what the GK is expecting. To many of our strikers recently have been all about getting on the end of something.

If they can do both with any consistency, they're not generally in league 1 for long.

With a settled team and a full season under KM we're likely to be one of the most productive in terms of chances created, especially if we can sort our left side out. You're probably looking for your supporting attacking players for the moments of brilliance (Celina, Jackson, Chaplin). If we don't land Celina, a Tom Lawrence / Scott Fraser 'wand of a left foot' type loan would be my guess.

A priority for me is making us effective at picking up 'cheap' goals. We're so often caught by a counter or set piece while we've battered teams in possession but failed to break them down. Hirst at least looks like he'll have no problem pumping in a header from a corner.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024