Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? 15:01 - Jul 10 with 2386 viewsPippin1970

I know we not the best of neighbour's but be a good test.
Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 15:04 - Jul 10 with 2361 viewsJ2BLUE

It would be stupid. Why dilute a rivalry like that? People seem to picture it like a league game. It wouldn't be. It would be an awful shell of an event.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 15:07 - Jul 10 with 2343 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 15:04 - Jul 10 by J2BLUE

It would be stupid. Why dilute a rivalry like that? People seem to picture it like a league game. It wouldn't be. It would be an awful shell of an event.

We used to have the Hospital Cup every pre-season. I think the police were not too keen on it.

Whilst I take your point, while we are not playing each other in competitive matches there is an element of potential for it holding some interest. However, for many of the past few years, it would probably have been embarrassing for us. Let's hope when we do get to play them next we are ready to be competitive with them.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Because it wouldn’t be friendly?! (n/t) on 15:10 - Jul 10 with 2312 viewsunstableblue

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Because it wouldn’t be friendly?! (n/t) on 15:15 - Jul 10 with 2284 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Because it wouldn’t be friendly?! (n/t) on 15:10 - Jul 10 by unstableblue

Thing is that the hospital cup matches never had the same edge to them as competitive matches. Modern friendlies involve 2 different teams each half, triallists playing, extra substitutions, etc, etc. It would have more edge than a regular friendly but nothing like a proper derby match.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Because it wouldn’t be friendly?! (n/t) on 15:17 - Jul 10 with 2274 viewsJ2BLUE

Because it wouldn’t be friendly?! (n/t) on 15:10 - Jul 10 by unstableblue

It would though. The game has changed since the hospital cup days.

There would be entire team changes, youths thrown in and there's no way a meticulous coach like McKenna would treat it as a serious game.

There is zero reason to dilute the rivalry for a few cheap kickabouts.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 15:24 - Jul 10 with 2228 viewsVeggie

The clue is in the name
Because it wouldn’t be friendly?! (n/t) on 15:40 - Jul 10 with 2107 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Because it wouldn’t be friendly?! (n/t) on 15:17 - Jul 10 by J2BLUE

It would though. The game has changed since the hospital cup days.

There would be entire team changes, youths thrown in and there's no way a meticulous coach like McKenna would treat it as a serious game.

There is zero reason to dilute the rivalry for a few cheap kickabouts.

The budgies hated losing to us at carrot road. We enjoyed it enormously. Few beers in the city in the sunshine, Warky holding the cup aloft and us outnumbering them at their own ground. TWTD.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 15:46 - Jul 10 with 2043 viewsITFC_Forever

There is no way on this earth the authorities would allow it. They hate it when we play league games, and breathe a sigh of relief when we are in different divisions, they’re not going to allow a fixture to be played voluntarily.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 15:49 - Jul 10 with 2025 viewsBluearmy71

Not being facetious but this is a question that really doesn't need to be asked tbh!!
Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 15:51 - Jul 10 with 2016 viewsPhilTWTD

We were going to a few years back but was ultimately abandoned.

Norwich Friendly Plans Abandoned 7th Jun 2013 12:50
TWTD understands that the proposed pre-season friendly between Town and Norwich City at Carrow Road will not now take place. 31

Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 16:27 - Jul 10 with 1785 viewsblueprint

Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 15:04 - Jul 10 by J2BLUE

I remember it kicking off before a hospital cup game in Norwich in about 91.
Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 16:30 - Jul 10 with 1757 viewschicoazul

Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 15:46 - Jul 10 by ITFC_Forever

There is no way on this earth the authorities would allow it. They hate it when we play league games, and breathe a sigh of relief when we are in different divisions, they’re not going to allow a fixture to be played voluntarily.

Yep exactly.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 16:38 - Jul 10 with 1706 viewsArnieM

OP: The very fact you’ve mentioned narwich in the same sentence as the word friendly, shows you don’t “ get it”.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 16:49 - Jul 10 with 1665 viewsPippin1970

Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 16:38 - Jul 10 by ArnieM

OP: The very fact you’ve mentioned narwich in the same sentence as the word friendly, shows you don’t “ get it”.

I totally get it but we not exactly like the Old Firm Derby etc. Things have moved on in the last 9 years. So if we potentially play them again in the league nothing gets done. Rather play them than tests against Southend.
Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 19:24 - Jul 10 with 1364 viewsSwansea_Blue

It would make perfect sense imo given the relative proximity. But only behind closed doors as the fans wouldn’t treat it for what it was. No way could you have it as an open game. Just too much baggage that would detract from the point of it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 19:40 - Jul 10 with 1306 viewstimothyeo

Would be hideously diluted and ruin the legitimate times we cross paths. I know it's not been for a while but I don't rally fancy watching their 5th choice winger score against us.
Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 19:53 - Jul 10 with 1273 viewssticklegs

Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 16:27 - Jul 10 by blueprint

I remember it kicking off before a hospital cup game in Norwich in about 91.

Yes it did, it was all very lively when we won there 4-0. It certainly was the most un pre-season friendly match I've ever been to!
Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 02:54 - Jul 11 with 955 viewsIPS_wich

Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 19:53 - Jul 10 by sticklegs

Yes it did, it was all very lively when we won there 4-0. It certainly was the most un pre-season friendly match I've ever been to!

I was there - seem to recall Neil Thompson scoring an absolute screamer.
Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 07:59 - Jul 11 with 784 viewsRobTheMonk

A minority would see it as an excuse for a punch-up.
Here he is, as always. (n/t) on 08:00 - Jul 11 with 780 viewsBloots

Why do we never play Norwich City in friendlies? on 19:40 - Jul 10 by timothyeo

Would be hideously diluted and ruin the legitimate times we cross paths. I know it's not been for a while but I don't rally fancy watching their 5th choice winger score against us.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024