Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
James Webb ST images tomorrow 12:23 - Jul 11 with 1452 viewsWicksy

Looking forward to seeing them but struggling to imagine how, to the layman like me, they can improve much on Hubble. Obviously the scientists will get more out of them but for the rest of us maybe 'more of the same'?

The cars in the churchyard Were shiny and German Distinctly at odds with The theme of the sermon

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 12:53 - Jul 11 with 1328 viewsStokieBlue

Not at all, they will be far better than the Hubble images although one must remember Hubble concentrates on visible light which is different to the JWST. In fact the images from the JWST should be good enough to analyse the light from exoplanets and try to determine if the atmosphere is being artificially changed by life.

Here is a comparison from NASA between the Spitzer space telescope and the JWST looking at the same thing:

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 13:05 - Jul 11 with 1281 viewsPinewoodblue

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 12:53 - Jul 11 by StokieBlue

Not at all, they will be far better than the Hubble images although one must remember Hubble concentrates on visible light which is different to the JWST. In fact the images from the JWST should be good enough to analyse the light from exoplanets and try to determine if the atmosphere is being artificially changed by life.

Here is a comparison from NASA between the Spitzer space telescope and the JWST looking at the same thing:

SB

I appreciate the desire to see further and further into the universe, or rather the past, but I’m looking forward to seeing more detailed images of the known universe.

What chance is there that when NASA go live they will bring down the internet?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 13:19 - Jul 11 with 1243 viewsSTYG

I read this and wondered why anyone was interested in some random bloke who'd bought a season ticket being able to post pictures of his view from sitting in the same seat against West Ham.
James Webb ST images tomorrow on 14:01 - Jul 11 with 1138 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 13:05 - Jul 11 by Pinewoodblue

I appreciate the desire to see further and further into the universe, or rather the past, but I’m looking forward to seeing more detailed images of the known universe.

What chance is there that when NASA go live they will bring down the internet?

It's probably the biggest chance yet of finding other life in the universe. Proving it could be an issue, as there's some debate as to what actually is the definition of life. I don't think it's going to spot a little green man waving though, sadly.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 14:28 - Jul 11 with 1074 viewsSamuelowen88

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 14:01 - Jul 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

It's probably the biggest chance yet of finding other life in the universe. Proving it could be an issue, as there's some debate as to what actually is the definition of life. I don't think it's going to spot a little green man waving though, sadly.

One of it's first targets is an Exo Planet. (gas giant), but they are looking at the atmospheric make up.

This is the best way we can search for signs of life. Looking for key ingredients in planets atmosphere.

Poll: England v Wales Score

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 14:34 - Jul 11 with 1044 viewsStokieBlue

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 14:28 - Jul 11 by Samuelowen88

One of it's first targets is an Exo Planet. (gas giant), but they are looking at the atmospheric make up.

This is the best way we can search for signs of life. Looking for key ingredients in planets atmosphere.

Yes, if you can spot CFC's for instance then you know those are artificially created and hence there is life on that planet (or was when the light left it).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 14:50 - Jul 11 with 988 viewsSamuelowen88

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 14:34 - Jul 11 by StokieBlue

Yes, if you can spot CFC's for instance then you know those are artificially created and hence there is life on that planet (or was when the light left it).

SB

Exactly this, i am a firm believer that life exists in the universe other than ourselves.

Whether we will ever meet / see that life in another matter entirely. Life would have to develop at the same time, close enough to us to reach them / them reach us / radio signals to reach.

I think those chances are quite slim.

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 15:02 - Jul 11 with 947 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 14:50 - Jul 11 by Samuelowen88

Exactly this, i am a firm believer that life exists in the universe other than ourselves.

Whether we will ever meet / see that life in another matter entirely. Life would have to develop at the same time, close enough to us to reach them / them reach us / radio signals to reach.

I think those chances are quite slim.

The JWT massively increases those chances.

Also, life could've developed millions of years before us and so could be way more advanced (than say the JWT). It could equally have destroyed itself, as we seem intent on doing, but there may well be some leftover signs.

I think with the sheer size and scale of space there is likely life that developed way before us, at the same time, and will do so way after as well.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Login to get fewer ads

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 16:51 - Jul 11 with 831 viewsWicksy

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 15:02 - Jul 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

The JWT massively increases those chances.

Also, life could've developed millions of years before us and so could be way more advanced (than say the JWT). It could equally have destroyed itself, as we seem intent on doing, but there may well be some leftover signs.

I think with the sheer size and scale of space there is likely life that developed way before us, at the same time, and will do so way after as well.

Thanks all - more enthused now! Hadn't really thought of the 'ET' aspect but certainly possible

The cars in the churchyard Were shiny and German Distinctly at odds with The theme of the sermon

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 21:24 - Jul 11 with 682 viewsSamuelowen88

They are previewing one image tonight at 10pm UK (i think i coverted the time right)

Not sure which one it is, but Biden is showing it.

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 22:00 - Jul 11 with 637 viewsNthsuffolkblue

James Webb ST images tomorrow on 12:53 - Jul 11 by StokieBlue

SB

It is remarkable to think how technology is continually advanced and what our future generations will get to see.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024