Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where are the goals in this side ? 10:45 - Jul 12 with 2650 viewsDMDC

l just dont see them as it stands. Ladapo 12-15, Jackson(if fit) isnt going from a 5 goal a season striker to 20+ any day soon and then there is the kid from Arsenal( if fit), who has no real record at all. Chaplin around 10, Burns around 10, just not enough. If as people are saying we may have to wait until late August before we can get another striker in then we may be playing catch up like last season. We could be 6 games in and off the pace. We need to hit the ground running and l just dont see it with this current squad.
Where are the goals in this side ? on 10:46 - Jul 12 with 1881 viewsJ2BLUE

It's almost like the transfer window is still open isn't it?

We already needed a striker. Now with Pigott going we need two.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Where are the goals in this side ? on 10:47 - Jul 12 with 1866 viewsCustardCream

Hopefully we’ve been working on set pieces over the summer. We should get 10-15 from there if we we have
Where are the goals in this side ? on 10:49 - Jul 12 with 1853 viewsBondiBlue

It's July 12th, calm down. Also, when we start listing attacking midfielders who we reckon will score 10+, i think that actually sounds pretty positive.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Where are the goals in this side ? on 10:51 - Jul 12 with 1839 viewsBiGDonnie

Don't feed the budgie troll.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Where are the goals in this side ? (n/t) on 10:52 - Jul 12 with 1833 viewskeanekipper

[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 11:03]
Where are the goals in this side ? on 10:53 - Jul 12 with 1811 viewsDarth_Koont

Our attack and scoring goals is pretty complicated – at least it was last season when it pretty much stuttered throughout and it didn't really matter too much which players we put in there.

A posssible exception was having Jackson up there as a wide forward stretching the defence with his runs. But too small a sample to say whether that's the answer or a big part of it.

However I think we're talking about combinations around the pitch working better when we have the ball. And creating chances as a result. So resolving the LB/LWB area and the quality of our attacking down the left might be much more important than a new striker, even if I don't think we've finished stocking up there.

Pronouns: He/Him

Where are the goals in this side ? on 10:58 - Jul 12 with 1766 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Just what we need, another one of these posts.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Where are the goals in this side ? on 10:59 - Jul 12 with 1747 viewsBondiBlue

Where are the goals in this side ? on 10:51 - Jul 12 by BiGDonnie

It's amazing that they put so much effort into researching our players really. Admittedly i haven't been paying attention to anything above league one since we got stuck down here but i'm not sure i could name a single norwich player. Does pukki still play for them?

Poll: Which would you accept?

Login to get fewer ads

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:01 - Jul 12 with 1720 viewsclive_baker

I think the way we play, high possession, looking to control games, and with the 3 at the back probably lends itself to conceding less goals for a start. We've conceded 12 goals under McKenna, which given he has taken charge of a full half season of 23 league games is quite remarkable. If we're to be successful this season we'll probably have one of, if not the best GA column in the division. The benefit of that of course is we'll need to score less to win games. I would agree that as it stands there's a lot of unknowns. Can Burns have a season anything like the last one? Will Ladapo gel? John-Jules is a talent but has struggled for fitness in the past. Jackson, frankly who knows, and Aluko isn't getting any younger. The only one I'm very confident on at this stage is Chaplin, for me right now he's our MVP and will certainly score goals, I'm sure of that.

That said, it's not like in letting Pigott leave we've let bags of goals leave the building on the evidence we've seen in a Town shirt. The situation hasn't really changed in that respect, and I imagine there will be 1 or 2 new heads in attacking areas before the end of the transfer window.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:01 - Jul 12 with 1719 viewsDMDC

Where are the goals in this side ? on 10:47 - Jul 12 by CustardCream

Hopefully we’ve been working on set pieces over the summer. We should get 10-15 from there if we we have

You would hope wouldnt you ? But same set of players really, so, same outcome ? I fear if we are 6 games in before we get other additions in as some are saying then we could be off the pace like last season. Even Ashton said it was a difficult time. End of August before we get what we want and l can see us struggling to keep up again.
Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:04 - Jul 12 with 1642 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Kayden was a 1 in 3 striker in his first season, so has the potential to contribute.

I think KM will get more goals from Morsy. And we also have Edwards as a relatively unknown quantity.

I think Chaplin could easily contribute 15 goals.

....and the transfer window hasnt closed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:04 - Jul 12 with 1638 viewsDMDC

Where are the goals in this side ? on 10:59 - Jul 12 by BondiBlue

It's amazing that they put so much effort into researching our players really. Admittedly i haven't been paying attention to anything above league one since we got stuck down here but i'm not sure i could name a single norwich player. Does pukki still play for them?

Its sad when someone asks a question and you get replies like this. Just because someone may have a concern they have to be a budgie. If you cant be constructive in your answer then please be quiet.
Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:04 - Jul 12 with 1618 viewswkj

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:01 - Jul 12 by DMDC

You would hope wouldnt you ? But same set of players really, so, same outcome ? I fear if we are 6 games in before we get other additions in as some are saying then we could be off the pace like last season. Even Ashton said it was a difficult time. End of August before we get what we want and l can see us struggling to keep up again.

Google any striker and you will see that very few have a consistent goal tally season by season. Manager, system, mental maturity, team harmony - all sorts can shift the needle.

The best example of this in our time line is Daryl Murphy, most town fans will know what I am talking about here.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 11:09]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:11 - Jul 12 with 1546 viewsDMDC

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:01 - Jul 12 by clive_baker

I think the way we play, high possession, looking to control games, and with the 3 at the back probably lends itself to conceding less goals for a start. We've conceded 12 goals under McKenna, which given he has taken charge of a full half season of 23 league games is quite remarkable. If we're to be successful this season we'll probably have one of, if not the best GA column in the division. The benefit of that of course is we'll need to score less to win games. I would agree that as it stands there's a lot of unknowns. Can Burns have a season anything like the last one? Will Ladapo gel? John-Jules is a talent but has struggled for fitness in the past. Jackson, frankly who knows, and Aluko isn't getting any younger. The only one I'm very confident on at this stage is Chaplin, for me right now he's our MVP and will certainly score goals, I'm sure of that.

That said, it's not like in letting Pigott leave we've let bags of goals leave the building on the evidence we've seen in a Town shirt. The situation hasn't really changed in that respect, and I imagine there will be 1 or 2 new heads in attacking areas before the end of the transfer window.

l think and hope you are right about Chaplin. Could be his season this year and Burns may not have the same impact. We just dont know. I just dont see enough goals in this team as it stands and with questions over Jackson and this kids fitness lm just not convinced as it stands.
Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:15 - Jul 12 with 1511 viewsDMDC

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:04 - Jul 12 by wkj

Google any striker and you will see that very few have a consistent goal tally season by season. Manager, system, mental maturity, team harmony - all sorts can shift the needle.

The best example of this in our time line is Daryl Murphy, most town fans will know what I am talking about here.

You always felt with Murphy that even if he wasnt scoring he gave so much to the team. I just dont see that one stand out player in our squad to do that. Maybe Chaplin but he can run around up his own @rse some games and achieve nothing.
Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:16 - Jul 12 with 1508 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:11 - Jul 12 by DMDC

l think and hope you are right about Chaplin. Could be his season this year and Burns may not have the same impact. We just dont know. I just dont see enough goals in this team as it stands and with questions over Jackson and this kids fitness lm just not convinced as it stands.

You keep saying "As it stands" but the team as ti stands won't be the team that starts the season. The season is 3 weeks away.

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:16 - Jul 12 with 1506 viewsitfcsuth

Nobody knows how anyone will perform.

Pigott hit 20+ goals the season before joining, he looked like he would never find the net for us - you can't always judge from prior seasons. Different players suit different clubs & managers.

I think Ladapo will be the main man, could quite feasibly hit 15+ for the season.

Would put good goal returns this season against Ladapo, Jackson, Chaplin & Burns.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 11:41]
Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:22 - Jul 12 with 1471 viewsjayessess

Nothing to worry about for me.

How many goals you score is down to how you work as a team rather than totting up how many you think any individual gets.

Of the top 10 goalscorers in the division last season, just one had scored 15+ league goals the season before, five of them hadn't even made 10.

I'm pretty confident we'll be absolute murder for other teams to break down or get the ball off. We won't need to rack up 4 goals a game to take points.

As it stands we've got four players in the squad who have posted 10-goal seasons at this level or higher within the last three seasons anyway (Jackson, Ladapo, Chaplin, Burns).

Jackson's best at this level is 11 in 32.

The last time John-Jules had significant playing time in this league, he scored 5 in 13 starts.

You don't need lots of players to post big individual numbers to get promoted. Wigan, Rotherham and Sunderland had just 2 each.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:22 - Jul 12 with 1466 viewsDMDC

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:16 - Jul 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

You keep saying "As it stands" but the team as ti stands won't be the team that starts the season. The season is 3 weeks away.

And people are saying we may not have anyone in before the end of August, l hope we do. My concern is if we are 6 games into the season before we get these recruits then we could be playing catch up like last season. I will say it again, as it stands l cannot see where the goals are coming from.
Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:28 - Jul 12 with 1391 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:22 - Jul 12 by DMDC

And people are saying we may not have anyone in before the end of August, l hope we do. My concern is if we are 6 games into the season before we get these recruits then we could be playing catch up like last season. I will say it again, as it stands l cannot see where the goals are coming from.

You don't need to keep saying it.

And don't worry about what people are saying.

We are a long way from "6 games into the season" so why are you panicking now?

We're also not 'pretty much the same set of players as last season', we have 4 new signings.

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:34 - Jul 12 with 1332 viewsclive_baker

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:04 - Jul 12 by wkj

Yeah, people obsess about stats in football. A quick glance at wikipedia is sufficient to write a player off, irrespective of where they've played, how much they've played, in what system, what their game is and if it's suited to us. Most don't even give a player the courtesy of watching them play before they're written off (or on, for that matter). It's more about how we play as a unit, and getting some momentum behind us. All are forwards are capable of scoring goals if we're creating chances, the question is to what degree we can do that. Ladapo has scored goals for the past few years, he's a real handful. Had we paid a couple of million for him people would be tugging themselves silly. The question is will he click here, but there's no way of truly knowing until he gets that opportunity, and he has as good a chance as any.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:36 - Jul 12 with 1313 viewswkj

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:15 - Jul 12 by DMDC

You always felt with Murphy that even if he wasnt scoring he gave so much to the team. I just dont see that one stand out player in our squad to do that. Maybe Chaplin but he can run around up his own @rse some games and achieve nothing.

Murphy was Marmite with some fans. A bunch used to piss and moan about him for 90 minutes non stop at every home game. It got so bad that on the season he caught fire we would all cheer, then turn to the vocal moaners and sarcastically clap at them.

Point being, we have no idea how Ladapo is going to work out here, we had no clue how prolific Bonne would be for half a season. We certainly had no idea how good Jackson would end up being for creating chances - a lot of variables in play here to prove that the OP can not categorically state we're not better off than we were last season.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:44 - Jul 12 with 1266 viewsSitfcB

Where are the goals in this side ? on 10:51 - Jul 12 by BiGDonnie

Bit harsh. I think it’s a valid thread.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:48 - Jul 12 with 1230 viewsdirtyboy

Ladapo i'm going for 18.
Jackson I reckon 14.
Burns 8 (he'll be marked more this year).
Chaplin 12 (more game time).
John-Jules 3 (limited appearances).

55 goals.

Morsy 6.
Aluko 3.
KVY 1.
Evans 0.
Fridge 2.
Wolf 2.
Donacien 1.
Edwards 4.
Ball 0.
Leigh 2.

21 Goals.

76 Goals Total.
9 more than last year.
+ We'll have the best defence in the league, concede 30 so +46GD (which will be best in the league) and finish 4rd.

There. If we sign another striker, I'd just share the goals.

Sheff Wed
MKD
Peterborough
Ipswich
Bolton
Barnsley

There you go.

We'll get promoted via a trip to London :-)
Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:52 - Jul 12 with 1192 viewschicoazul

Where are the goals in this side ? on 11:44 - Jul 12 by SitfcB

Bit harsh. I think it’s a valid thread.

Perfectly valid. We need 20 odd more goals this season than last season and have lost players who gave us 25 last season. Other than Ladapo Chaplin and Burns there is no evidence at all of goals in this team and we stopped scoring in the last few games of last season too with one exception when all was done and dusted. Unless someone has a Murphy season we need 7 or 8 players to all get double figures.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024