Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm all for equality...But...? 13:48 - Jul 12 with 2519 viewsBigCommon

I can't get my head around the "England's record scorer" tag, which Ellen White will no doubt be given, after a couple more goals in an England Women's shirt..
Quotes, such as "beating Wayne Rooney's record"....?
I'm sorry if this offends.. But surely, men's and women's, record, should be separate?
Especially when you get 20-0 score lines in the Women's International game? And regularly see 7-8-9 goal score lines?
No doubt Ellen White, is a great female player. . But, at what level , in the men's game, would someone like Ellen, be able to perform?
The BBC and the PC mob can dress it up how they like.. But for me. There should be separate records charts in Mens, Womens football... Some of the Women's opposition, in recent years, has been woeful.. I've no doubt that someone like Rooney, Charlton, Kane, Owen, Lineaker etc.. Would be into the 100's , if they were playing against the same standard opposition....
Anyway, I'll probably get downvoted, by a few people for this post.. Just airing an opinion..
I'm all for equality...But...? on 13:49 - Jul 12 with 2216 viewsOwainG1992

Fair play to her but yeah can't say it's beating Rooneys record because it's completely seperate.
Like stating that women's 100 metre runners are not as good as say Usain Bolt.
It's a seperate thing for me.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

I'm all for equality...But...? on 13:51 - Jul 12 with 2195 viewsSitfcB

Yes it’s bloody stupid. Getting worse.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

I'm all for equality...But...? on 13:56 - Jul 12 with 2159 viewshomer_123

I'm not saying you are wrong but there are plenty of instances of 20 - 0 score lines in men's football, especially at International level. Though it's less often now as I think they've tried to ease off on some of the complete mis matches.

Australia smashed Samoa a while back and even at a very high level....Germany 7 - 1 Brazil anyone....

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I'm all for equality...But...? on 13:57 - Jul 12 with 2144 viewsSTYG

As I have no doubt proven here, I am for equality as much as I possibly can be.

But some things do need to be kept separate. Otherwise, you'd never recognise any woman that broke a world record in the Olympics or Commonwealth games because there would be a man that has run faster, thrown further or jumped higher.

Ultimately, she's the top women's scorer. No harm in categorising. In the same way it's fine to have a League Two golden boot and not an EFL wide one. It's a separate division and competition, just like women's football is separate to men's,
I'm all for equality...But...? on 13:58 - Jul 12 with 2146 viewsTheBoyBlue

I get where you're coming from, but does it matter?

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

I'm all for equality...But...? on 13:58 - Jul 12 with 2140 viewsSwansea_Blue

This hasn't happened has it?

Is this an example of such a tweet?

It doesn't look like they're comparing them as equal feats or as a single record- she's described as a "Lioness" and it's WR's "England" record. Looks like they're describing them as slightly different things imo. Not that it particularly matters.

PS. there are separate goal scoring charts for men and women aren't there? I've never seen a combined one.

[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 14:04]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:00 - Jul 12 with 2123 viewsclive_baker

It annoys me when people are like 'I don't like womens football because it's X, Y and Z compared to the mens game'. Don't compare womens football to the mens game then, enjoy it for what it is as a fast growing and watchable sport in its own right. I don't believe womens football ever professes to want to emulate the mens game. Different sports, you can like both, or just one, or neither. You enjoy what you enjoy. Personally I think it's great that young girls in this country can see these woman and be inspired by them to get out and play football. You can't be what you can't see and all that.

By the same token, I agree I don't really see the significance or use in making comparisons across the 2 different sports. A womens top scorer and a mens top scorer feels most appropriate.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:02 - Jul 12 with 2099 viewsJ2BLUE

Can see your point but doesn't really bother me.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:02 - Jul 12 with 2094 viewsSTYG

I'm all for equality...But...? on 13:58 - Jul 12 by Swansea_Blue

It doesn't look like they're comparing them as equal feats or as a single record- she's described as a "Lioness" and it's WR's "England" record. Looks like they're describing them as slightly different things imo. Not that it particularly matters.

PS. there are separate goal scoring charts for men and women aren't there? I've never seen a combined one.

Exactly. The highest scorer to represent England.

Which will be correct, unless there's some old boy that's banged in 200 goals for England's walking football team.

I know what they mean and so do most. It's a non-event.

The only thing I do find slightly frustrating is Sky last season having women's games on the vidiprinter without specifying they were women's games. Got slightly confusing when Leicester 1 Spurs 0 or whoever it was popped up on a Saturday when there was a full schedule as I assumed for assumed it was the men and it was only when I saw Leicester go behind to West Ham or someone that I realised what had happened.

That's a bit of a pain in the arse - especially as there are some foreign players in the men's or women's teams who many wouldn't be able to tell if they were men or women from the names.
I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:05 - Jul 12 with 2082 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:02 - Jul 12 by STYG

Exactly. The highest scorer to represent England.

Which will be correct, unless there's some old boy that's banged in 200 goals for England's walking football team.

I know what they mean and so do most. It's a non-event.

The only thing I do find slightly frustrating is Sky last season having women's games on the vidiprinter without specifying they were women's games. Got slightly confusing when Leicester 1 Spurs 0 or whoever it was popped up on a Saturday when there was a full schedule as I assumed for assumed it was the men and it was only when I saw Leicester go behind to West Ham or someone that I realised what had happened.

That's a bit of a pain in the arse - especially as there are some foreign players in the men's or women's teams who many wouldn't be able to tell if they were men or women from the names.

Yes, the scores have confused me at times too! Maybe they should be in pink for the women's results

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:07 - Jul 12 with 2079 viewsMattinLondon

I do agree with you that mens and women’s records should be viewed separately. But did you really need to go on about the ‘PC Mob’ in your post? It was just a tad unnecessary. Your post will not offend anyone and mentioning being downvoted just makes you look like you have some sort of victim mentality - which is a shame as I agree with your main argument.
I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:09 - Jul 12 with 2057 viewsjayessess

What's the harm here?
If some people want to think about it in those terms, up to them really.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:14 - Jul 12 with 1995 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I wouldn't worry about it, it's just the BBC (as far as I'm aware) promoting the women's game. It's not an official list or anything.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:20 - Jul 12 with 1939 viewsBigCommon

I'm all for equality...But...? on 13:58 - Jul 12 by Swansea_Blue

Tbf, I was more referring to live comments by the pundits last night... I find that BBC tweet, a bit ambiguous.. If an alien read it, they might assume that Rooney was a Lioness..
I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:27 - Jul 12 with 1904 viewsim_marcacus

It’s purely a matter of semantics. If & when Ellen White has scored more international goals than Rooney she will be the highest scoring player for England. That doesn’t diminish Rooney’s feat in the mens game, it’s just factually correct. The real question is why anyone would bother to get their knickers in a twist about such a nonentity of a quibble. The worlds melting, perhaps consider channeling some of your focus into concern towards that, if it passes the PC brigade test.
I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:30 - Jul 12 with 1888 viewsJakeITFC

The problem will be when a trans footballer comes and starts scoring 100 goals a game.
I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:34 - Jul 12 with 1860 viewsVaughan8

I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:30 - Jul 12 by JakeITFC

The problem will be when a trans footballer comes and starts scoring 100 goals a game.

DOn't start. You'll get Mony going off on one again!
I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:36 - Jul 12 with 1851 viewsVaughan8

I think as you say they want equality but unfortunately like most sports, the womens game is totally different, so to "beat Rooney's record" doesn't make sense to me.

Do they compare slams equally in tennis, I.e. does Serena Williams have more titles than Djokovic?
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 14:36]
I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:36 - Jul 12 with 1843 viewsBigCommon

I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:07 - Jul 12 by MattinLondon

I do agree with you that mens and women’s records should be viewed separately. But did you really need to go on about the ‘PC Mob’ in your post? It was just a tad unnecessary. Your post will not offend anyone and mentioning being downvoted just makes you look like you have some sort of victim mentality - which is a shame as I agree with your main argument.

Ouch.... I do have a few issues.(Well spotted). But mainly based around anxiety i. So, yes, I suppose that might contribute to being on the defensive, or sometimes feeling a bit exposed when posting.... Surprised, really, that if you spotted that, then you chose to highlight it, instead of tolerating it...Which is a shame..
I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:39 - Jul 12 with 1811 viewsMattinLondon

I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:36 - Jul 12 by BigCommon

Ouch.... I do have a few issues.(Well spotted). But mainly based around anxiety i. So, yes, I suppose that might contribute to being on the defensive, or sometimes feeling a bit exposed when posting.... Surprised, really, that if you spotted that, then you chose to highlight it, instead of tolerating it...Which is a shame..

I apologise if that’s the way my reply to your post came across. That wasn’t my intention.
I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:53 - Jul 12 with 1734 viewsBigCommon

I'm all for equality...But...? on 14:39 - Jul 12 by MattinLondon

I apologise if that’s the way my reply to your post came across. That wasn’t my intention.

Very decent of you... I apologise, if I come across a bit frosty...
I'm all for equality...But...? on 15:06 - Jul 12 with 1671 viewsitfcjoe

Yep, it's a bit stupid as just different sports and shouldn't be compared (because that does the women's game no favours in reality)

Like when you see headline on BBC Sport of Man City star signs for Barcelona and think WTF have I missed and then you look and see it is Lucy Bronze - needless to conflate the two, by all means push it, and a lot of what the BBC does is very good at that but they aren't equivalent

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I'm all for equality...But...? on 15:38 - Jul 12 with 1551 viewsBluefields

"PC Mob" tells me all I need to know here. Chill out, why let it bother you?
I'm all for equality...But...? on 15:43 - Jul 12 with 1527 viewsSwailsey

Doesn’t really matter.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

I'm all for equality...But...? on 16:35 - Jul 12 with 1426 viewsmonty_radio

Stats are always at the mercy of what those quoting them want to use them for. Lineker played 80 games; Rooney 120.

Cricket does it better, with its emphasis on averages, but football is ill-served when comparisons are made across the ages. Both Dixie Dean and Steve Bloomer, in the first half of the Twentieth Century, averaged more than a goal a game for England, but still managed less than 30 England goals each because international games were a rarity back then.

So I guess stats should always be examined with an open mind. But that becomes more difficult if agendas come into play.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024