Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frogs. 22:21 - Jul 12 with 630 viewsjeera

There's been a small number showing up here each year since I moved in 5 years back.

It was a new build so the complex is clearly in the way of a traditional pathway. They're looking for something that no longer exists.

I usually collect them in a bucket and take them down to a nearby brook. I dunno what else to do with them because there's nothing for them here.

Thing is, when you look up this stuff the advice is to leave them be. But that's on the assumption they're on their way to their breeding ground so unsure of the best approach here.

I am only posting this because there's been a thread on ponds and a poster or two who seems to know about these things.

[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 22:23]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Frogs. on 22:28 - Jul 12 with 595 viewsnoggin

Contact the Home Office. They'l ship them off to Rwanda.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Frogs. on 22:31 - Jul 12 with 586 viewsjeera

Frogs. on 22:28 - Jul 12 by noggin

Contact the Home Office. They'l ship them off to Rwanda.

I should clarify these are the actual amphibian things.

And not some French people trying to sneak into the country.

Posted under General so's not to upset the xenophobes*

* yes I know that doesn't make sense. I just thought it sounded funny, before a whole new thread gets started on how some people are alienated from General posts section jokes.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 22:34]

Frogs. on 22:33 - Jul 12 with 582 viewsGuthrum

My mother has quite a sizeable colony of frogs living in her garden, despite the nearest pond being some distance away (and no stream or river for about quarter of a mile). They live down a crack in the ground under the bird-bath, so there is water around, but it is not suitable for spawning and none has ever been seen.

They must be breeding somewhere, as there are small ones among them. And they seem quite happy.

Tho they don't eat those big orange slugs.

Frog sitting on the bird-water:

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Frogs. on 22:37 - Jul 12 with 562 viewsjeera

Frogs. on 22:33 - Jul 12 by Guthrum

My mother has quite a sizeable colony of frogs living in her garden, despite the nearest pond being some distance away (and no stream or river for about quarter of a mile). They live down a crack in the ground under the bird-bath, so there is water around, but it is not suitable for spawning and none has ever been seen.

They must be breeding somewhere, as there are small ones among them. And they seem quite happy.

Tho they don't eat those big orange slugs.

Frog sitting on the bird-water:

That's the type I'm getting; ranging from the surprisingly small to the surprising big, toad like size.

But definitely all the same species.

My mother gets the cute little dark green ones that get stood on if people don't notice them first.

I like to think those I've dropped off at the brook have all met up and made friends in a Disney happy ending kinda scenario.

And not been eaten by some local snakes.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 22:38]

Frogs. on 22:43 - Jul 12 with 524 viewsNthsuffolkblue

There may well be suitable water nearby still e.g. small garden ponds or a gulley or something. We had a pond in our garden that had been filled in some considerable time before we bought the property but still got frogs in it. They must have found suitable habitats nearby. Unfortunately, I discovered one with the lawn mower one year and haven't seen them since.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Frogs. on 22:45 - Jul 12 with 509 viewsnoggin

Frogs. on 22:37 - Jul 12 by jeera

That's the type I'm getting; ranging from the surprisingly small to the surprising big, toad like size.

But definitely all the same species.

My mother gets the cute little dark green ones that get stood on if people don't notice them first.

I like to think those I've dropped off at the brook have all met up and made friends in a Disney happy ending kinda scenario.

And not been eaten by some local snakes.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 22:38]

"And not been eaten by some local snakes."

Or Frogs (French people)

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Frogs. on 22:45 - Jul 12 with 509 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Frogs. on 22:31 - Jul 12 by jeera

* yes I know that doesn't make sense. I just thought it sounded funny, before a whole new thread gets started on how some people are alienated from General posts section jokes.

You could always add in a question about ex-players whose names sound like frogs and then post the same thread deliberately under football just to increase the negative comments you will receive. Or something like that. Thicko's!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Frogs. on 22:49 - Jul 12 with 506 viewsjeera

Frogs. on 22:43 - Jul 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

There may well be suitable water nearby still e.g. small garden ponds or a gulley or something. We had a pond in our garden that had been filled in some considerable time before we bought the property but still got frogs in it. They must have found suitable habitats nearby. Unfortunately, I discovered one with the lawn mower one year and haven't seen them since.

They're obviously trying to head to historical breeding ground if that makes sense.

They're looking to pass through here but can't because these buildings have sprung up.

So, determined as they are it seems they would rather hang about and risk their fortune where there is no future for them than turn back and go to wherever they came from.

I'm guessing they're not the brightest hence they produce so many to keep the species going.

Still, I can't watch any creature suffer but at the same time don't want to make things worse. What if that brook isn't supposed to have these frogs in it?

If you see what I mean.

Login to get fewer ads

Frogs. on 00:32 - Jul 13 with 420 viewsSwansea_Blue

Try feeding them to your spiders. Or vice versa, depending which are bigger. Film it and stick on here and Rommie will probably run a sweepstake.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Frogs. on 00:44 - Jul 13 with 416 viewsjeera

Frogs. on 00:32 - Jul 13 by Swansea_Blue

Try feeding them to your spiders. Or vice versa, depending which are bigger. Film it and stick on here and Rommie will probably run a sweepstake.

D'you know you say that...

I went out with the torch a little while ago and that large beetle i was on about has gone. No sign of it. When i was watching last night that false widow had the thing and was doing a job on it.

When I shined the torch it stopped what it was doing and seemed to glare at me.

You know, like "What? ".

So I left. After all he knows where I live and I don't want to provoke.

There was a small frog heading that way just now and I did consider his fate.

Frogs. on 07:15 - Jul 13 with 341 viewsElephantintheRoom

You might find you’re doing more harm than good. My in-laws put in a water feature not much bigger than a washing up bowl in the arid, walled garden and it was soon brimming with frogs. They don’t need much water to live hoppily

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Frogs. on 07:42 - Jul 13 with 283 viewsWeWereZombies

Frogs. on 07:15 - Jul 13 by ElephantintheRoom

You might find you’re doing more harm than good. My in-laws put in a water feature not much bigger than a washing up bowl in the arid, walled garden and it was soon brimming with frogs. They don’t need much water to live hoppily

I'm not sure if the OP was trying to encourage or discourage puns but with that one you may well spawn a ten pager...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Frogs. on 07:44 - Jul 13 with 281 viewsWeWereZombies

Frogs. on 22:31 - Jul 12 by jeera

It isn't just French people who are trying to sneak into the country, there is a small percentage, say a tad, Pole...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024