Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post-Brexit isolation 12:08 - Jul 17 with 2606 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Is it just me who feels a real feeling of 'isolation' since Brexit?

Whenever I meet someone from the EU I feel jealous that they are still a member of something that I didn't want to be apart from, and like I am no longer in the 'in club'.

Instead of being an EU citizen I am now unfortunately* just a Britsh citizen, and seeing as Britain is f****d on so many levels this makes me sad. I can't think of a single reason that I'd prefer to be the latter. I feel no affinity to this country whatsoever and would trade citizenship in a second.

I've even thought about options such as moving to Ireland for 5 years in order to be able to claim citizenship, but then you lose it again if you leave.

Pointless rant over but just wondering if anyone else feels similarly.

* I know I'm somewhat lucky to be British, but I still hate what it has become, feel embarrassed by the state of it, and not one single shred of anything resembling pride.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Post-Brexit isolation on 12:15 - Jul 17 with 1704 viewsJ2BLUE

What exactly are you missing? You can still go to any of those countries.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

[Redacted] on 12:46 - Jul 17 with 1686 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Post-Brexit isolation on 12:51 - Jul 17 with 1671 viewsbluelagos

Post-Brexit isolation on 12:15 - Jul 17 by J2BLUE

For a maximum no. of days pa. Around 90 I think.

So you can't retire to them. And working in them now requires work visas too, making that much harder. Studying abroad (in EU) is also much harder than before.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Post-Brexit isolation on 12:53 - Jul 17 with 1657 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Post-Brexit isolation on 12:15 - Jul 17 by J2BLUE

Being a part of something which was designed to unite, not divide.

The possibility of being able to easily relocate or retire to the continent.

A time when we weren't governed exclusively by Toff posh boys who got to fulfill their racist wet dream of not being dictated to by annoying foreigners.

Heck, even things like free data roaming were a positive.

I could go on but I'm going to go out into the sun instead.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Post-Brexit isolation on 12:55 - Jul 17 with 1649 viewsjeera

Have a hunt through the recent family tree and see what you can come up with.

Countries vary significantly on their citizenship rules and there may be a route to an EU passeport/pasaporte in there somewhere.

Defeating that you won't have much to worry about anyway. You are qualified in something which would find you a job (and so a long stay) in many a location.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Post-Brexit isolation on 12:56 - Jul 17 with 1648 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Nope, I still feel like an individual but also global citizen. As far as being labelled British goes.....well that has always been a burden of shame, so nothing new there.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Post-Brexit isolation on 12:58 - Jul 17 with 1630 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Post-Brexit isolation on 12:51 - Jul 17 by bluelagos

For a maximum no. of days pa. Around 90 I think.

So you can't retire to them. And working in them now requires work visas too, making that much harder. Studying abroad (in EU) is also much harder than before.

Protectionist w@nkers!

Post-Brexit isolation on 12:59 - Jul 17 with 1631 viewsbluelagos

Post-Brexit isolation on 12:55 - Jul 17 by jeera

Have a hunt through the recent family tree and see what you can come up with.

Countries vary significantly on their citizenship rules and there may be a route to an EU passeport/pasaporte in there somewhere.

Defeating that you won't have much to worry about anyway. You are qualified in something which would find you a job (and so a long stay) in many a location.

"Have a hunt through the recent family tree and see what you can come up with. "

So my sister looked into this and frustratingly we just missed out. Turns out my Grandma had joint British and French citizenship as a child, she even had French as her first language.

A fair few years back she let her French passport lapse and retained just her UK one. Apparently had she kept it I'd now have the right to "do a Keno" :-(

Login to get fewer ads

Post-Brexit isolation on 13:08 - Jul 17 with 1584 viewsjeera

Post-Brexit isolation on 12:59 - Jul 17 by bluelagos

"Have a hunt through the recent family tree and see what you can come up with. "

So my sister looked into this and frustratingly we just missed out. Turns out my Grandma had joint British and French citizenship as a child, she even had French as her first language.

A fair few years back she let her French passport lapse and retained just her UK one. Apparently had she kept it I'd now have the right to "do a Keno" :-(

Surely her citizenship doesn't disappear because her passport lapsed?

I don't know how this works though so not too much point in my guessing.

I have exchanged a few emails with the Maltese commission and may have a way in via my late grandmother but need to get on with it. I was onto it then got distracted.

Edit: typo.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2022 13:09]

Post-Brexit isolation on 13:14 - Jul 17 with 1558 viewsbluelagos

Post-Brexit isolation on 13:08 - Jul 17 by jeera

I have exchanged a few emails with the Maltese commission and may have a way in via my late grandmother but need to get on with it. I was onto it then got distracted.

I asked the exact same question - but apparently it does :-(

Post-Brexit isolation on 13:20 - Jul 17 with 1543 viewsWeWereZombies

Post-Brexit isolation on 13:08 - Jul 17 by jeera

I've eaten a few bags of Maltesers, might even have had a Maltesers easter egg as a kid - do you think that qualifies me for Maltese citizenship ?

Seriously, Malta is quite densely populated and I would find it difficult to live there but I guess if it gives you the chance to settle anywhere in the European Union then citizenship is worth having.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Post-Brexit isolation on 13:22 - Jul 17 with 1533 viewsjeera

Post-Brexit isolation on 13:14 - Jul 17 by bluelagos

I asked the exact same question - but apparently it does :-(

Send them a photo of your cock. That'll teach them.

But only when you're absolutely certain you've exhausted all options as doing that might not help.

Post-Brexit isolation on 13:23 - Jul 17 with 1542 viewsgazzer1999

Post-Brexit isolation on 12:56 - Jul 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

Nope, I still feel like an individual but also global citizen. As far as being labelled British goes.....well that has always been a burden of shame, so nothing new there.

What is it that makes you hate this country? Seems like we are the country of choice for the world so we must have something going for us. Maybe you should think of settling somewhere else if you are that desperate.
Post-Brexit isolation on 13:24 - Jul 17 with 1531 viewsjeera

Post-Brexit isolation on 13:20 - Jul 17 by WeWereZombies

I've eaten a few bags of Maltesers, might even have had a Maltesers easter egg as a kid - do you think that qualifies me for Maltese citizenship ?

Seriously, Malta is quite densely populated and I would find it difficult to live there but I guess if it gives you the chance to settle anywhere in the European Union then citizenship is worth having.

Not to live there you donut.

Every time I mention this someone pipes up with "Why would you want to live there?"

(Last time was Footers, so you're in good company).

Just to get an EU passport, not to live in Malta.

Post-Brexit isolation on 13:31 - Jul 17 with 1511 viewsbluelagos

Post-Brexit isolation on 13:23 - Jul 17 by gazzer1999

What is it that makes you hate this country? Seems like we are the country of choice for the world so we must have something going for us. Maybe you should think of settling somewhere else if you are that desperate.

Agree, Bankster and his ilk should all sod off to France or Spain and live there instead.

Post-Brexit isolation on 14:04 - Jul 17 with 1440 viewsBlueBadger

You do know that Banksy is a Patriotic Brexiteer like you, right?

Although, nobody hates th UK like Brexiteers, given they've voted to make the place poorer, meaner and speed up the breaking up of the union.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Post-Brexit isolation on 14:07 - Jul 17 with 1418 viewsGuthrum

For me, the mistake is thinking one must either love or hate one's country. I can feel a deep affection for the place, for most of the people, for the heritage and history, while recognising there are many things wrong, imperfect or simply not done as well as elsewhere. Some of the nation's past is a source of pride, some of shame (that's true of anywhere). There are other places I would be happy to live, but none I would prefer.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Post-Brexit isolation on 14:24 - Jul 17 with 1364 viewsgazzer1999

Post-Brexit isolation on 14:04 - Jul 17 by BlueBadger

You do know that Banksy is a Patriotic Brexiteer like you, right?

Although, nobody hates th UK like Brexiteers, given they've voted to make the place poorer, meaner and speed up the breaking up of the union.

Sorry Badger, not a patriotic Brexiteer, just happen to like the UK and especially ITFC for all my other failings.
I guess when we joined the common market people like you said things like you will be losing the doorstep pinta. These things happen, just need to be sure we as a country make things work. No leader red or blue is taking us back in. The people voted to leave and the Tories implemented it (sort of). And that from a government that was pro EU, and as we know the Labour Party were against joining in the first place.
Seems like there is not a party for any of us any more.
Post-Brexit isolation on 14:30 - Jul 17 with 1346 viewsBlueBadger

Post-Brexit isolation on 14:24 - Jul 17 by gazzer1999

Sorry Badger, not a patriotic Brexiteer, just happen to like the UK and especially ITFC for all my other failings.
I guess when we joined the common market people like you said things like you will be losing the doorstep pinta. These things happen, just need to be sure we as a country make things work. No leader red or blue is taking us back in. The people voted to leave and the Tories implemented it (sort of). And that from a government that was pro EU, and as we know the Labour Party were against joining in the first place.
Seems like there is not a party for any of us any more.

None of what you said then just made sense.

Unless I've been mistakenly ordering 'pints' in the local juicer when I should have been ordering 568 ml glasses all along.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Post-Brexit isolation on 14:49 - Jul 17 with 1302 viewsmylittletown

No, I am with you.

I am just back from Portugal, where the people were, as ever, lovely and friendly, but all the time I was reminded that, for no obvious benefit, and with many known disadvantages, the UK walked away from an EU which had been socially, culturally and especially economically, hugely beneficial to us.
A foolish, childish and spiteful exit which has made us look very stupid, very dishonest and has made us a standing joke almost everywhere on earth.
Post-Brexit isolation on 18:38 - Jul 17 with 1142 viewsGeomorph

Lol nice one blinker boy
Post-Brexit isolation on 18:43 - Jul 17 with 1132 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Post-Brexit isolation on 13:31 - Jul 17 by bluelagos

Agree, Bankster and his ilk should all sod off to France or Spain and live there instead.

Oh go on then!

Post-Brexit isolation on 19:59 - Jul 17 with 1039 viewsjeera

Post-Brexit isolation on 18:43 - Jul 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

Oh go on then!

Got a hat ready for tomorrow I'd hope.

Post-Brexit isolation on 20:13 - Jul 17 with 1010 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What makes you assert that "we are the country of choice for the world"?

I love a lot about this country but immigration is probably lower here than the vast majority of other countries in the world. We quite clearly are not "the country of choice for the world". Sadly our xenophobic isolationalism is making that worse too.

If only the leave campaigns lies that "we are the country of choice for the world" were true.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Post-Brexit isolation on 20:19 - Jul 17 with 996 viewsnodge_blue

To take your mind off it worry about global warming, war in Ukraine and possibly widening, rampant inflation and can't afford to heat your home this winter and COVID that is still going strong.

You'll soon forget about being in a club.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024