Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goal scoring midfielders..... 00:31 - Jul 23 with 1520 viewsBigCommon

We had a few over the years, that chipped in regularly with goals. Names that spring to mind for me, are Tommy Miller, Matt Holland and of course John Wark.
Towards the end of last season, we saw Morsy getting up the pitch more, taking up some really good positions. A "Warkesque" late arrival into the box. And chipping in with a few goas. As well as missing a few chances, too.
Looks like Sammy has been working on his end product. Tucking away some neat finishes in pre-season.
We all know how driven he is. Got a feeling he's really worked on that part of his game. Either ,off of his own back, or a nudge from KM..
I'm going to stick my neck out and predict 15 goals from Sammy this season, in all competitions. All going well with fitness..
Perhaps wishful thinking on my part. But with our playing patterns being more finely tuned under KM , now. And from what Sammy showed back end of last season and this pre season. I think it's doable.
With the likes of Ladapo, Jackson, Burns, Chaplin, Harness, Aluko etc ,all causing problems for defenders. I've got a feeling that Sammy ,will be ghosting in , and clocking up a fare few goals over the course of the season..
[Post edited 23 Jul 2022 12:53]
Goal scoring midfielders..... on 00:42 - Jul 23 with 1476 viewsIllinoisblue

10 from central midfield and another 10 extra from set pieces and we should be in good shape

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Goal scoring midfielders..... on 01:38 - Jul 23 with 1426 viewsBLUEBEAT

Goal scoring midfielders..... on 00:42 - Jul 23 by Illinoisblue

10 from central midfield and another 10 extra from set pieces and we should be in good shape

Where’s Garbutt these days?

Can’t remember the last time we had a set piece taker as good as him.

Pretty good LB too.

Poll: W or W

Goal scoring midfielders..... on 02:32 - Jul 23 with 1394 viewsWonTheCupin78

Goal scoring midfielders..... on 01:38 - Jul 23 by BLUEBEAT

Pretty good LB too.

Garbutt is a first team regular now at Blackpool.
Goal scoring midfielders..... on 06:42 - Jul 23 with 1280 viewsibbleobble

Sammy!? Morsy will definitely get a better return this season as Ball wil do the sitting job as we saw Bakinson do toward the tail end of the last campaign. Personally I’d rather see us hitting earlier balls into the box as we did to get Bonne his goals.
Goal scoring midfielders..... on 07:01 - Jul 23 with 1227 viewsOwainG1992

Guessing you meant Tommy Miller.
Though Tommy Smith to get some goals.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Goal scoring midfielders..... on 07:25 - Jul 23 with 1153 viewsVeggie

Goal scoring midfielders..... on 01:38 - Jul 23 by BLUEBEAT

Pretty good LB too.

Who?
Goal scoring midfielders..... on 08:58 - Jul 23 with 1010 viewsMookamoo

Things are different now. If we're playing 3 at the back with 2 wing backs, there has to be 2 holding midfielders, with one - in our case Morsy - taking what opportunities they have to get forward more. He will get a few, but 15 is pushing it.

Playing 4 at the back gave the likes of Holland, Norris, Miller, Mason etc the freedom to get forward more knowing there was a solid back four, and someone like Gerriant Williams to fill in the gaps. Our current system means Donacien will often play as a right back to cover Burns and the 2 midfielders being in the position to cover the CBs.

The extra goals this year have to come from set pieces and the 2 wider men, plus at least 20 from Ladapo if we are to get top 4. Chaplin at 10 will get a fair few. Burns will get some, perhaps not as much as last year, but one of the sacrifices of him getting forward is a more conservative middle.
Goal scoring midfielders..... on 09:29 - Jul 23 with 970 viewsElephantintheRoom

I doubt he’ll get more goals than penalty points unless he’s been working on his self control. It a big ask to reach fifteen goals if you miss a lot of matches

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Goal scoring midfielders..... on 09:30 - Jul 23 with 966 viewsZXBlue

Goal scoring midfielders..... on 08:58 - Jul 23 by Mookamoo

Things are different now. If we're playing 3 at the back with 2 wing backs, there has to be 2 holding midfielders, with one - in our case Morsy - taking what opportunities they have to get forward more. He will get a few, but 15 is pushing it.

Playing 4 at the back gave the likes of Holland, Norris, Miller, Mason etc the freedom to get forward more knowing there was a solid back four, and someone like Gerriant Williams to fill in the gaps. Our current system means Donacien will often play as a right back to cover Burns and the 2 midfielders being in the position to cover the CBs.

The extra goals this year have to come from set pieces and the 2 wider men, plus at least 20 from Ladapo if we are to get top 4. Chaplin at 10 will get a fair few. Burns will get some, perhaps not as much as last year, but one of the sacrifices of him getting forward is a more conservative middle.

You dont need 2 holding midfielders to play 3 at the back.

Which two of Wright Magilton and Holland would you consider "holding"?
Goal scoring midfielders..... on 09:35 - Jul 23 with 897 viewsGuthrum

A lot of it is predicated on how well we can keep the ball.

Last season, our ball retention in the middle and opponents' thirds of the pitch was very good. We tried to play most of our games in those zones, pushing midfielders and at least one of the CBs well forward. It was very successful and we conceded the fewest goals per game during the period since McKenna's arrival - by some margin.

If we can continue in that fashion, then the back-line does not need so much reinforcement. Two out of Edmundson, Woolfenden and Donacien (i.e. whichever of the latter two is not at that point up the pitch), plus Walton's excellence and one holding midfielder ought to be enough.

Especially if it brings a goal dividend, which will not only win us more matches, but provide a safety margin on the occasions when counterattacks do break through (i.e. instead of successfully equalising, the opposition are merely reducing their deficit).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Goal scoring midfielders..... on 09:36 - Jul 23 with 891 viewsHighgateBlue

Goal scoring midfielders..... on 07:01 - Jul 23 by OwainG1992

Yes I was wondering whether it was Miller, or whether there was some 1950s player I hadn't heard of, so I kept quiet! :)

Miller was such a penalty king. We could really do with winning and tucking away penalties, and also making set pieces count this season. It was noted last season how unproductive our corners were (although it was countered fairly sensibly that in fact in the modern game corners yield goals pretty seldom). McKenna could not solve inherent problems overnight, or even in six months with a squad who knew towards the end that the playoff push was up. He is all over the detail and the stats, and I reckon we'll see an improvement in this area, which in turn will have an impact on how many goals are scored "from midfield".

As to the OP, yes Morsy's development in an attacking sense has been pleasing. I'd like to see him get fewer yellows and reds, but then, that's probably like wishing that Morsy wasn't Morsy. All players have their weaknesses at L1 level.
Goal scoring midfielders..... on 10:15 - Jul 23 with 800 viewsOldTractorBoy

Goal scoring midfielders..... on 09:36 - Jul 23 by HighgateBlue

Yes I was wondering whether it was Miller, or whether there was some 1950s player I hadn't heard of, so I kept quiet! :)

Miller was such a penalty king. We could really do with winning and tucking away penalties, and also making set pieces count this season. It was noted last season how unproductive our corners were (although it was countered fairly sensibly that in fact in the modern game corners yield goals pretty seldom). McKenna could not solve inherent problems overnight, or even in six months with a squad who knew towards the end that the playoff push was up. He is all over the detail and the stats, and I reckon we'll see an improvement in this area, which in turn will have an impact on how many goals are scored "from midfield".

As to the OP, yes Morsy's development in an attacking sense has been pleasing. I'd like to see him get fewer yellows and reds, but then, that's probably like wishing that Morsy wasn't Morsy. All players have their weaknesses at L1 level.

Does anyone have any idea who will be taking free kicks (& maybe corners) this year, this was clearly a weakness last season & none of our new players seem to boast any expertise that I'm aware of ?
Goal scoring midfielders..... on 10:16 - Jul 23 with 799 viewsVeggie

I think McKenna will switch it around this season depending on opposition etc. Apparentky we played 4-2-3-1 against Palace.
Goal scoring midfielders..... on 12:52 - Jul 23 with 709 viewsBigCommon

Goal scoring midfielders..... on 07:01 - Jul 23 by OwainG1992

Yep.. I meant Miller... Late night head wobble..
Goal scoring midfielders..... on 13:16 - Jul 23 with 652 viewschicoazul

Will he get more goals than games missed for suspension?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024