Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' 11:15 - Jul 23 with 2475 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Obviously just trying to appeal to Tory Brexiteers, but how much chance (or lack thereof) is there of this ever coming true?

With Starmer having ruled it out a few weeks ago, it would be one big U-turn for Labour to team up with the Lib Dems and Scot Indies after the next GE (which they hopefully win) and look to go back.

https://m.republicworld.com/world-news/uk-news/boris-johnson-claims-plot-by-deep

#clutchingatstraws

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 11:19 - Jul 23 with 2430 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't think it will happen.

By the time there is the will to do it, there will likely be much bigger issues like climate change becoming more and more of an emergency and it won't be a priority IMO.

Also, for all it's good points, one weak link like Hungary dilutes the power they have.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 11:21 - Jul 23 with 2419 viewsChurchman

The man is desperate if he truly believes this nonsense. From the article:

‘The phrase “deep state” was first popularised by US President Donald Trump who used it to refer to the bureaucrats, diplomats, and intelligence operatives among others who control the government while remaining unelected themselves. Meanwhile, Johnson named Starmer, the Scottish independence movement and the Liberal Democrats in the so-called “deep state”. However, as per media reports, he did not point fingers at any perceived culprits within the civil service.’

Conspiracy theory gone mad.
'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 11:29 - Jul 23 with 2382 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

He’s gone full Trump now hasn’t he. Well he’s now trying to appeal to a smaller and smaller niche of voters, so the game is up.
'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 11:37 - Jul 23 with 2358 viewsThisIsMyUsername

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 11:19 - Jul 23 by J2BLUE

By the time there is the will to do it, there will likely be much bigger issues like climate change becoming more and more of an emergency and it won't be a priority IMO.

Also, for all it's good points, one weak link like Hungary dilutes the power they have.

The optimist in me says there would be the will, as hopefully a large proportion of those who voted Leave realise they were scammed, and those who didn't bother to vote think that perhaps they should have done.

Talking of Hungary, I'm in Budapest right now and it's a wonderful mix of different nationalities. Leaving to fly back in an hour which makes me sad.

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 11:45 - Jul 23 with 2331 viewsclive_baker

Would they even take us back? Couldn’t blame them if they told us to do one.

Absolute shambles the whole thing, disgusting that so much tax payer money has gone towards this car crash of an idea, utterly disgraceful when there are so many worthwhile causes closer to home like education and healthcare.

We’ve made our bed, we’ve opted to be poorer and have less influence on the world stage and we need to learn to lie in it now. Johnson can piss off, let’s get a labour government in and try and make the best of a dire situation.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 12:47 - Jul 23 with 2216 viewsThisIsMyUsername

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 11:45 - Jul 23 by clive_baker

Absolute shambles the whole thing, disgusting that so much tax payer money has gone towards this car crash of an idea, utterly disgraceful when there are so many worthwhile causes closer to home like education and healthcare.

We’ve made our bed, we’ve opted to be poorer and have less influence on the world stage and we need to learn to lie in it now. Johnson can piss off, let’s get a labour government in and try and make the best of a dire situation.

Keep the faith. Stranger things have happened and all that.

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 13:16 - Jul 23 with 2149 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How can there be an "end of Brexit"? He "got Brexit done" didn't he? It's all over and dusted isn't it?

It is almost like it is an on-going process with having to continue to find ways around the hard border in NI, continue to negotiate trade agreements with a far bigger trading block and generally continue to take hits on everything. Rather like Brexit will only be truly done once we have Breturned.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 13:20 - Jul 23 with 2129 viewsNthsuffolkblue

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 11:45 - Jul 23 by clive_baker

The EU will always (quite rightly and surprisingly what somehow annoys many Brexiteers) do what is in the best interests of the EU. It is their purpose.

As such, they will take us back but without all the special concessions we once had. We will be an ordinary member who is there because we have proven how much we need them more than they need us.

Login to get fewer ads

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 13:37 - Jul 23 with 2081 viewschicoazul

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 11:19 - Jul 23 by J2BLUE

I believe it will happen but only if a political party campaigns on that basis and wins a majority.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 13:40 - Jul 23 with 2070 viewsLeoMuff

Could definitely see it happening, not in the short term but definitely in the medium to long. If brexit proves to be an ecomomic and political disaster, people will change their mind.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 13:55 - Jul 23 with 2044 viewsNthsuffolkblue

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 13:37 - Jul 23 by chicoazul

I believe it will happen but only if a political party campaigns on that basis and wins a majority.

It would be very interesting to see if the LibDems took this route. If they received the full backing of all who support membership, they would easily win a GE. However, there are too many who are more ingrained with supporting Conservative or Labour whatever and many people may well support membership but rank other issues more highly.

Didn't LibDems have a policy of rejoining last GE?

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 14:47 - Jul 23 with 1960 viewsgiant_stow

All this is assuming that they'll be an EU to go back to. Or at least one that looks the same as now. Without wanting to sound like a mad Brexiter, I'm not sure that's so certain - the whole thing could go pop even in the next couple of years.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 14:51 - Jul 23 with 1947 viewsNthsuffolkblue

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 14:47 - Jul 23 by giant_stow

All this is assuming that they'll be an EU to go back to. Or at least one that looks the same as now. Without wanting to sound like a mad Brexiter, I'm not sure that's so certain - the whole thing could go pop even in the next couple of years.

What is happening that makes this look likely to happen?

Wasn't Brexit supposed to precipitate all the other countries leaving? How many have left or even looked like they might do?

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 14:56 - Jul 23 with 1930 viewsgiant_stow

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 14:51 - Jul 23 by Nthsuffolkblue

What is happening that makes this look likely to happen?

Wasn't Brexit supposed to precipitate all the other countries leaving? How many have left or even looked like they might do?

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the European debt crisis is brewing again, except this time, the percentages are much higher. Add in the inflation crisis, the energy crisis and Russia's continuing aggression... I just think that it could all fall apart.

Edit: not saying it will - just could!
[Post edited 23 Jul 2022 15:10]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 16:22 - Jul 23 with 1801 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Ignoring everything else, this is very dangerous from Boris, using phrases like 'Deep State' and 'Plot' are designed to whip up his supporter base, to take a them and us position and to rebel against the idea, something that is straight from the Trump playbook.

I'm not suggesting a horde of daily mail readers will try to hang Starmer, but it sew's further division at a time that our divisions are already dangerously entrenched.

This is likely to be Boris' first of many attempts to manipulate the message ahead of the leadership election and put Liz Truss into number 10 and also to start a call to action ahead of the next election.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 16:33 - Jul 23 with 1755 viewsjeera

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 16:22 - Jul 23 by Cheltenham_Blue

Ignoring everything else, this is very dangerous from Boris, using phrases like 'Deep State' and 'Plot' are designed to whip up his supporter base, to take a them and us position and to rebel against the idea, something that is straight from the Trump playbook.

I'm not suggesting a horde of daily mail readers will try to hang Starmer, but it sew's further division at a time that our divisions are already dangerously entrenched.

This is likely to be Boris' first of many attempts to manipulate the message ahead of the leadership election and put Liz Truss into number 10 and also to start a call to action ahead of the next election.

As others have said, he's going full-Trump.

Nasty, dishonest and intent on causing as much trouble as he can with no care for the consequences. It's all about him and his fragile ego.

This is the man who had previously spoken of the values of EU membership before it suited him to state otherwise. All about power games to loons like this.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 00:11 - Jul 24 with 1537 viewsfactual_blue

Nothing will convince the dull-witted they have did the wrong thing by voting leave than continuing travel chaos. The scenes at Dover are already being described as 'the new normal'.

Or are they going to be like the spectacularly dim, diabetic brummie who said he rather do without insulin (and therefore die) than stay in the EU?

'Yes, I'm happy to spend my entire fortnight's holiday sat in a queue on the A20 outside Dover. We have our SOVEREIGNTY back.'

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 00:46 - Jul 24 with 1504 viewsGeomorph

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 11:29 - Jul 23 by SuperKieranMcKenna

He’s gone full Trump now hasn’t he. Well he’s now trying to appeal to a smaller and smaller niche of voters, so the game is up.

Johnson is just a bell…. Riddance d1ckheeed
'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 01:06 - Jul 24 with 1479 viewsBugs

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 00:11 - Jul 24 by factual_blue

Nothing will convince the dull-witted they have did the wrong thing by voting leave than continuing travel chaos. The scenes at Dover are already being described as 'the new normal'.

Or are they going to be like the spectacularly dim, diabetic brummie who said he rather do without insulin (and therefore die) than stay in the EU?

'Yes, I'm happy to spend my entire fortnight's holiday sat in a queue on the A20 outside Dover. We have our SOVEREIGNTY back.'

There are far too many that see politics as they would football. They have a team and they will stick with them through think and thin.

I know a chap who wouldn't dream about voting tory, but almost everything he shares on FB, RE politics, is right wing to very right wing.

In the Brexit referendum he took everything the right wing leavers said as gospel truth, despite being shown facts that he was believing lies. He believed and wanted the tory Brexit. The left wing Eurosceptic Brexit augments he was ignorant of. But still voted labour in 17 and 19.

He will still vote labour in the next GE, as Labour is his team and it's likely it always will be.

I'm fairly confident that this backing your team analogy is even more likely to be the case for tory voters.
'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 08:01 - Jul 24 with 1342 viewsChurchman

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 16:33 - Jul 23 by jeera

As others have said, he's going full-Trump.

Nasty, dishonest and intent on causing as much trouble as he can with no care for the consequences. It's all about him and his fragile ego.

This is the man who had previously spoken of the values of EU membership before it suited him to state otherwise. All about power games to loons like this.

You are right. It’s all about Johnson. He always gives me the impression of somebody who has no sense of right and wrong, no standards, no sense of what he is. I wonder if he’s ever sat down and thought about his strengths and weaknesses? I doubt it because I doubt he believes he has any weaknesses. It’s a similar trait to Trump and makes him dangerous.

I though after catching Covid he might learn something about himself and others, but nope, not a thing.

It definitely is about power games and not about consequences. A very strange man, even by politicians standards. Thank goodness he’s out of No 10. I hope he disappears from the public eye, but I doubt that’ll happen.
'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 16:43 - Jul 24 with 1151 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting to see that Steve Bannon, one of both Trump and Johnson’s mentors, has been found guilty of acting in contempt of Congress and faces a potential jail spell. No surprise Johnson is channeling his inner Trump; it’s a very similar modus operandi.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 16:54 - Jul 24 with 1113 viewsNthsuffolkblue

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 14:56 - Jul 23 by giant_stow

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the European debt crisis is brewing again, except this time, the percentages are much higher. Add in the inflation crisis, the energy crisis and Russia's continuing aggression... I just think that it could all fall apart.

Edit: not saying it will - just could!
[Post edited 23 Jul 2022 15:10]

Interesting to note that EU debt for the most recent figures I can see was 85.8% of GDP https://www.statista.com/statistics/269684/national-debt-in-eu-countries-in-rela

UK debt at a similar point was 108% of GDP. https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/national-debt/

I suspect that gap has widened. If it is a problem for the EU, then it is far more of one for the UK, especially with the potential of the new PM cutting taxes and increasing borrowing even further.

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 20:13 - Jul 24 with 959 viewsSwansea_Blue

Didn’t see the point of starting a new thread for Brexit nonsense, so I’ll dump this here. The Led By Donkeys latest is a masterpiece in case you haven’t seen it. Have to watch to the end.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 22:55 - Jul 24 with 856 viewsNthsuffolkblue

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 20:13 - Jul 24 by Swansea_Blue

Didn’t see the point of starting a new thread for Brexit nonsense, so I’ll dump this here. The Led By Donkeys latest is a masterpiece in case you haven’t seen it. Have to watch to the end.

Project Fear.

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 07:36 - Jul 25 with 765 viewsgiant_stow

'Boris Johnson claims plot... to rejoin EU' on 16:54 - Jul 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

Interesting to note that EU debt for the most recent figures I can see was 85.8% of GDP https://www.statista.com/statistics/269684/national-debt-in-eu-countries-in-rela

UK debt at a similar point was 108% of GDP. https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/national-debt/

I suspect that gap has widened. If it is a problem for the EU, then it is far more of one for the UK, especially with the potential of the new PM cutting taxes and increasing borrowing even further.

Yes, we're hardly in clover, but I think taking the combined debt figure for the EU misses the point a little.

Even taking your figure for the UK debt ratio (which I think might have actually improved more recently) and using your stats, there are 7 EU countries with a worse figure including Italy at 155%, France at 117% and Spain at 120%. With Germany at 69%, aren't these economies a bit out of kilter to be sharing a currency?

Each country owes its own debt - they're not yet mutualised across the Euro area, although its often assumed that eventually Germany will back everyone up. The question is, will the German people want to? (I believe debt pooling is currently illegal in the German constitution.) and the larger the debts get, won't that begin to make the debts look too big, even for Germany? Maybe they'll bvgger off? Who knows...

Baring in mind these countries are at least more immediately affected by the lack of Russian gas than us and also have to present a united front as the EU at least, I can see disagreements testing the consensus. All EU countries are being asked to reduce energy consumption by 15%, yet Spain doesn't have a native energy shortfall - they naturally have the hump at being asked to cover Germany and others' shortfall. These tensions will only increase if things keep heading the same way.

I've got a feeling the above will read like the ramblings of a simpleton to an economist, but hey ho - the world according to Garp
[Post edited 25 Jul 2022 7:42]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024