Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has Sky had it’s day? 04:05 - Jul 24 with 3562 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I was curious about television and sports in the UK. Cable television is only being held up by sports over here but even now streaming services such as YouTube TV (that cover all the local channels of whatever market your in) mean you don’t need a Comcast/Direct TV etc subscription. Can also get rid annoying cables everywhere in your living room.

It’s for sure becoming el a carte steaming subscriptions on smart TVs to have all your needs. NBC now have their own steaming channel Peacock, which you need for all access Premier League. ESPN+ gives you all you need for that service. So really it’s just a load of $10 monthly subscriptions alongside your Netflix, Hulu, Amazon video etc replacing $150-$180 cable bills.

Amazon Prime Video just brought Thursday night NFL games and this kind of thing will only continue globally I imagine.

Surely we can’t be far of an Amazon or Apple TV buying all Premier League rights and everyone in England being able to watch Premier League at 3pm on Saturday’s? The money in that would be insane and probably widen the gap of top flight and lower leagues. It just seems the natural step. What kind of protections are there against that happening?

Also what population of the UK have Sky now? Is it still a must for sports or is it becoming diversified as well? I was just curious as the last 5 years everything has changed here but when I lived in the UK, Sky was always king. I remember buying something called Now TV to stream some Footy the other year when I was back for a few weeks so I assume everything is following suit?

YouTube TV is the best recent thing to hit the market, free cloud included in the subscription as well for any recordings. Don’t think it’s outside the US yet though.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2022 4:11]
Has Sky had it’s day? on 08:41 - Jul 24 with 2629 viewsIpswichKnight

Believe 3pm kickoff protected by legislation so would need an act of parliament to allow games to be legally shown at 3pm on a Saturday.

It wouldn’t be a huge surprise if in the next 10 years clubs agree there own streaming deals with the likes of Amazon, Apple or Disney. One of the reasons why Chelsea were valued so highly ( price of football podcasts delves into this a bit on last pod ).
Has Sky had it’s day? on 08:51 - Jul 24 with 2583 viewsJ2BLUE

Sky's offering has definitely got worse over the last few years and they have had the nerve to keep increasing the price.

They lost the Champions League and a chunk of the Premier League rights over the last few years and increased the price. They lost WWE (don't really care, but making a point) and they increased the price. They have now lost the non home nations Nations League games to Premier Sports.

I have a yearly battle with them over the subscription fee as i'm not paying their asking price. Thankfully I get what I consider to be a good deal.

When BT launched everyone said it would give fans a choice. Instead if you now want Premier League and Champion's League football you have Sky's subscription which has, on paper, remained the same or gone up and BT now having a substantial subscription of their own on top.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Has Sky had it’s day? on 09:34 - Jul 24 with 2439 viewsunbelievablue

I subscribe to Now TV. I can choose which services I pay for each month on a rolling basis. Currently paying £20 for sport, and £6.99 for entertainment (lots of HBO, basically, via Sky Atlantic). Those are discounted though after I threatened to leave.

Oh, and I pay £5 extra a month for 2x devices so Dad can watch at the same time.

This model is common, I presume.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Has Sky had it’s day? on 09:35 - Jul 24 with 2434 viewsGuthrum

Has Sky had it’s day? on 08:41 - Jul 24 by IpswichKnight

Believe 3pm kickoff protected by legislation so would need an act of parliament to allow games to be legally shown at 3pm on a Saturday.

It wouldn’t be a huge surprise if in the next 10 years clubs agree there own streaming deals with the likes of Amazon, Apple or Disney. One of the reasons why Chelsea were valued so highly ( price of football podcasts delves into this a bit on last pod ).

They've already got around that by simply moving the fixtures. All the juiciest Prem games are now played at any time other than 3pm on Saturday.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Has Sky had it’s day? on 09:43 - Jul 24 with 2374 viewsyesjohn99

All for it if it means all football 3pm ko.
Has Sky had it’s day? on 10:04 - Jul 24 with 2309 viewsSitfcB

Has Sky had it’s day? on 09:34 - Jul 24 by unbelievablue

I subscribe to Now TV. I can choose which services I pay for each month on a rolling basis. Currently paying £20 for sport, and £6.99 for entertainment (lots of HBO, basically, via Sky Atlantic). Those are discounted though after I threatened to leave.

Oh, and I pay £5 extra a month for 2x devices so Dad can watch at the same time.

Can you record on NowTV?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Has Sky had it’s day? on 10:27 - Jul 24 with 2229 views05Jchamb

I watch a fair bit of sport and it has deifinitely segmented more in the last five years but I would say Sky very much still king imo for your traditional / typical mainstream sports. Sky have the cricket, F1 and Golf pretty much exclusively and a decent portion of football and international rugby although BT sports have massively increased their offering and believe they are probably better for your more niche stuff like arena sports but not really my thing.

I personally get it all through virgin media which isn’t quite as good a UX as Sky Q but was most affordable “complete package” by some distance 15 months ago. Agree streaming is likely to increase market share going forward and don’t typically mind this. However was watching the Cubs on Apple + the other night and you can’t even pause let alone record. That would be a massive issue for me if streaming spread.

Final point - Now TV still going strong and especially so through lockdown. If you weren’t already aware, this platform was created by Sky and I believe is still owned by them. I don’t yet know of any other leagal streaming platform (other than the mobile apps of the premium TV companies) where you can stream premium sports channels.
Has Sky had it’s day? on 10:37 - Jul 24 with 2200 viewsGuthrum

Has Sky had it’s day? on 09:43 - Jul 24 by yesjohn99

All for it if it means all football 3pm ko.

But that would mean you can't watch your Champ team on Saturday, your favourite Prem team at Sunday lunchtime and your second Prem team on Monday evening! What will people do if they can only follow one club?

What will the marketers do if they can't sell all those games to the same people??

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Has Sky had it’s day? on 10:53 - Jul 24 with 2168 viewsLord_Lucan

Has Sky had it’s day? on 10:04 - Jul 24 by SitfcB

Can you record on NowTV?

Few years back I decided to reevaluate my spending habits so I ditched sky, got a free sat box thing and also a Now Tv doo dah

Fairly quickly I went back to Sky - it’s so blooming easy and has a great user friendly interface - although I’m not so keen on the new version.

At work I’ve got a dodgy box that gets about 5 million channels from all over the universe and it costs me about £100 a year - but for home I couldn’t ditch sky I don’t think - purely because it’s so user friendly.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2022 10:54]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Has Sky had it’s day? on 11:23 - Jul 24 with 2086 viewsstrikalite

Has Sky had it’s day? on 10:53 - Jul 24 by Lord_Lucan

Few years back I decided to reevaluate my spending habits so I ditched sky, got a free sat box thing and also a Now Tv doo dah

Fairly quickly I went back to Sky - it’s so blooming easy and has a great user friendly interface - although I’m not so keen on the new version.

At work I’ve got a dodgy box that gets about 5 million channels from all over the universe and it costs me about £100 a year - but for home I couldn’t ditch sky I don’t think - purely because it’s so user friendly.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2022 10:54]

Everyone I talk to seems to have one of these dodgy boxes now, I'm starting to consider it I must admit, my Virgin package is now £120 a month, and that doesn't include movies either....

The only thing that's stopping me is that I'm sure you can't record on a dodgy box and also I like the catch-up feature with Virgin too, but there becomes a tipping point with the overall cost and I'm getting damn close to that now..
Has Sky had it’s day? on 11:25 - Jul 24 with 2083 viewsWonky

They've launched Sky Glass tvs recently, with Sky built in, which shows they're worried people will desert them.
Has Sky had it’s day? on 11:30 - Jul 24 with 2071 viewsJakeITFC

The thing that is annoying is that the are a load of different subscriptions required now to be a sports fan compared to even 10 years ago when Sky had a monopoly, but the costs don’t reflect it.

Off the top of my head I now have Sky, BT, Amazon, DAZN, Premier Sports and NFL gamepass for sports stuff, plus the usual TV subscriptions services too. The Netflix model was cool at first because it eliminated a lot of the need for a classic cable service, but now with each big media company having their own streaming service it’s back to being the thing it was trying to replace, but less user friendly and more expensive.
Has Sky had it’s day? on 11:31 - Jul 24 with 2066 viewsLord_Lucan

Has Sky had it’s day? on 11:23 - Jul 24 by strikalite

Everyone I talk to seems to have one of these dodgy boxes now, I'm starting to consider it I must admit, my Virgin package is now £120 a month, and that doesn't include movies either....

The only thing that's stopping me is that I'm sure you can't record on a dodgy box and also I like the catch-up feature with Virgin too, but there becomes a tipping point with the overall cost and I'm getting damn close to that now..

My problem at work with the dodgy box is that I can settle down with a glass of wine to binge watch a series - and then fall asleep in 5 mins and when you wake up you are on episode 7 and you can’t remember what episode you started on

So…. The next evening you find where you fell asleep and start again and guess what?

Repeat to fade.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Has Sky had it’s day? on 11:43 - Jul 24 with 2017 viewsstonojnr

"Surely we can’t be far of an Amazon or Apple TV buying all Premier League rights and everyone in England being able to watch Premier League at 3pm on Saturday"

No single broadcaster in the UK is allowed by competition rules to have ALL the Premier league rights packages. That is how the likes of BT sport, Amazon etc have been able to enter that marketplace against Sky, because else Sky would just own the Premiership permanently. And that will be maintained because it creates competition and thus increasing revenue for the rights holders.

Infact a consequence of the BT sport/Discovery deal, which has now been approved by competition authorities who look into things like market share of broadcasters and what rights they own to ensure noone becomes a single dominant provider, is they gave up maintaining exclusive rights to the champions league expanded coverage, which allowed Amazon to acquire a set of packages to show games.

The UK broadcasting market is not the same as the good ol USA, there are far more checks and balances in place that prevent any one broadcaster gaining an anti competitive advantage.
Has Sky had it’s day? on 11:50 - Jul 24 with 1998 viewsParky

I’ve got Virgin Media and my package include landline, wifi, two Virgin boxes with all sports and movie channels, including BT Sports.

It’s not cheap, went to watch the Nations League the other month to find out that they were on Premier Sport, who wants another £15 a month alone. You’ve then got some games are on Amazon now, Sky, BT, it’s getting pretty ridiculous, no wonder so many people go down the fire stick route.
Has Sky had it’s day? on 11:57 - Jul 24 with 1970 viewsSouperJim

Any dodgy box worth it's salt has a full on demand offering, so no need to record anything...

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Has Sky had it’s day? on 12:47 - Jul 24 with 1868 viewsdickie

I couldn't even imagine spending that much on TV. We have 100mb broadband only with virgin for £24 quid, a Firestick with the free on demand stuff and the cheapest netflix package. We do piggy back on my sister in law's Disney+ but only the kids watch that other than when I binged the Get Back series. I guess it might change when the kiddies get older though
Has Sky had it’s day? on 12:53 - Jul 24 with 1823 viewsstrikalite

Has Sky had it’s day? on 12:47 - Jul 24 by dickie

I couldn't even imagine spending that much on TV. We have 100mb broadband only with virgin for £24 quid, a Firestick with the free on demand stuff and the cheapest netflix package. We do piggy back on my sister in law's Disney+ but only the kids watch that other than when I binged the Get Back series. I guess it might change when the kiddies get older though

It's Sky Sports that seems to have gone up a lot over the years, I have BT too as Champions League games are on there, I should ring them up and cancel and return as a new customer I think, they give you feck all for loyalty that's for sure..
Has Sky had it’s day? on 13:12 - Jul 24 with 1760 viewsjaykay

Has Sky had it’s day? on 11:25 - Jul 24 by Wonky

They've launched Sky Glass tvs recently, with Sky built in, which shows they're worried people will desert them.

i can't see that catching on. it's a streaming service so if internet drops no t.v.
also not sure if your kids are playing games on the net as the same time you are watching t.v. not sure if that affects your picture quality on the t.v. plus no record function

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Has Sky had it’s day? on 14:31 - Jul 24 with 1649 viewsunbelievablue

Has Sky had it’s day? on 10:04 - Jul 24 by SitfcB

Can you record on NowTV?

Nah. Pretty naff app tbh. Although has the On Demand sports section so usually plenty of highlights packages available.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Has Sky had it’s day? on 16:06 - Jul 24 with 1516 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Has Sky had it’s day? on 11:30 - Jul 24 by JakeITFC

The thing that is annoying is that the are a load of different subscriptions required now to be a sports fan compared to even 10 years ago when Sky had a monopoly, but the costs don’t reflect it.

Off the top of my head I now have Sky, BT, Amazon, DAZN, Premier Sports and NFL gamepass for sports stuff, plus the usual TV subscriptions services too. The Netflix model was cool at first because it eliminated a lot of the need for a classic cable service, but now with each big media company having their own streaming service it’s back to being the thing it was trying to replace, but less user friendly and more expensive.

Indeed, Sky have the quantity but other channels are picking off other things like Champions League football.

If you want to watch lower league football (ITFC), a good selection of Premier League, cricket, Grand Prix, darts, etc, Sky is your option. The other channels are relying on enough people paying twice or choosing Tottenham/Champions League, etc above the quantity.

The real threat is the number of people prepared to find the sports on streams and avoid paying. If that reaches a tipping point where the cost to get the rights can't be comfortably covered by those subscribing then the bubble bursts. That would have the same impact as the collapse of ITV Digital should it happen. I wonder how closely organisations like the Premier League look at the finances and running of Sky.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Has Sky had it’s day? on 16:18 - Jul 24 with 1497 viewsSkip_Intro

Has Sky had it’s day? on 16:06 - Jul 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

Indeed, Sky have the quantity but other channels are picking off other things like Champions League football.

If you want to watch lower league football (ITFC), a good selection of Premier League, cricket, Grand Prix, darts, etc, Sky is your option. The other channels are relying on enough people paying twice or choosing Tottenham/Champions League, etc above the quantity.

The real threat is the number of people prepared to find the sports on streams and avoid paying. If that reaches a tipping point where the cost to get the rights can't be comfortably covered by those subscribing then the bubble bursts. That would have the same impact as the collapse of ITV Digital should it happen. I wonder how closely organisations like the Premier League look at the finances and running of Sky.

For me the tipping point is the cost - I refuse to pay £120 plus per month just for a tv package...if it were half that I might consider it but frankly it's a ridiculous price that many can't/won't pay...
Has Sky had it’s day? on 16:20 - Jul 24 with 1489 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Has Sky had it’s day? on 11:30 - Jul 24 by JakeITFC

I agree the amount of platforms makes it a bit annoying. Although the quality and cost of smart TV evaluates that problem is you see an app like a channel. I do think a YouTube TV would solve half those problems though, as it basically gives me cable then I just need 4-5 apps. It’s best thing to hit the market in a long time. I’m not sure if it’s making it’s way to the UK or not.

Mine is

- YouTube TV (includes all major networks, sports, HBO, news etc)
- Sunday ticket App
- Dazn
- Amazon
- Netflix
- Hulu / Disney / ESPN+
- Peacock

DAZN eh, forgot they had been launched in the UK. It has been good for me over here being a British boxing fan. All the AJ fights have been included In subscription since 2017. They’re very cash rich but losing ridiculous amounts of money hence their recent move to PPV. Hearn will follow the $$$

Amazon or Apple will have PL rights one day and the money will be insane. Still blows my mind everyone watches it worldwide while the UK settled down for MOTD at 10.30pm.
Has Sky had it’s day? on 16:24 - Jul 24 with 1479 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Has Sky had it’s day? on 11:43 - Jul 24 by stonojnr

"Surely we can’t be far of an Amazon or Apple TV buying all Premier League rights and everyone in England being able to watch Premier League at 3pm on Saturday"

No single broadcaster in the UK is allowed by competition rules to have ALL the Premier league rights packages. That is how the likes of BT sport, Amazon etc have been able to enter that marketplace against Sky, because else Sky would just own the Premiership permanently. And that will be maintained because it creates competition and thus increasing revenue for the rights holders.

Infact a consequence of the BT sport/Discovery deal, which has now been approved by competition authorities who look into things like market share of broadcasters and what rights they own to ensure noone becomes a single dominant provider, is they gave up maintaining exclusive rights to the champions league expanded coverage, which allowed Amazon to acquire a set of packages to show games.

The UK broadcasting market is not the same as the good ol USA, there are far more checks and balances in place that prevent any one broadcaster gaining an anti competitive advantage.

Was only asking.

The most lucrative here is the NFL and it’s split across about 5 networks. Premier League on demand will be live in the UK soon enough I think, the money is too big.
Has Sky had it’s day? on 16:25 - Jul 24 with 1476 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Has Sky had it’s day? on 09:34 - Jul 24 by unbelievablue

Had a few issues with the NOW platform when I was briefly using it but maybe it’s better these days
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024