Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Millwall (A) 16:35 - Jul 24 with 1803 viewsunbelievablue

Let em come let em come let em come, let em all come down to the Den.

Ventured to Millwall yesterday and had a rather lovely time. I went for a quick couple of pints at St James of Bermondsey with occasional TWTDer 'BlueInBrum' (a misnomer now, given he lives in Peckham), even more occasional poster 'Atractorive', and one time comedy creation 'KessinglandBlue'. The former two had pie and mash, sans eels, unfortunately, and I committed my usual cardinal sin of forgetting to eat anything all day other than a £4 (!!!) half time sausage roll.

We arrived a couple of minutes late after an Uber driver got a bit lost trying to find the ground. A pleasantly surprising away following considering the trains were all over the shop, and plenty of familiar faces. Also a rare treat to sit in the lower tier at Millwall, the stewards and police clearly deeming the fixture such a low risk affair that it was safe to be within walloping distance of any lurking Bushwackers.

In terms of the performance, I thought we were rather good all game, actually, in spite of some moaning and groaning from a few cantankerous sorts in the away end during the first half. We look comfortable on the ball at all times, across all areas of the pitch, and remain patient in our build up. McKenna's set up is pretty obvious now isn't it and that isn't a knock - it's just that the concerns about teams sitting back and saying "go on then, break us down" are certainly warranted. That will remain my biggest worry ahead of the season, especially at home - we need to be very creative to manufacture chances against sides who lack much attacking intent. Oh, and stupid mistakes at the back. Woolfy is good for one or two a season, hopefully they don't cost us.

Harness was a livewire, playing more centrally than I had expected, but lost the ball on a few occasions in decent areas - he'll have to be less wasteful to become a Burns-esque fan favourite, that's for sure.

Ladapo is an interesting signing. I have a sneaky feeling he will be a huge part of our promotion effort, so feel free to dredge up this post if he's ineffective. In my un-learned opinion he doesn't 'go missing' and the game doesn't 'pass him by', both charges levelled at him from one of my companions. It's simply that we are willing to keep the ball for longer than many Town fans have been accustomed to, especially at this level, and therefore he has less time challenging for long balls, headers etc. than your traditional target man. He definitely has a knack for being in decent positions, as proven by his goal (an excellent finish), and has a good footballing brain.

The substitutions really highlighted our strength in depth at League One level, and, as many others have confirmed, gave us a much needed boost in terms of intensity. With five subs available this season I can see plenty of second half surges. Jackson and John-Jules both looked fit.

Aluko is class.

Penney is not.

As you can tell, the hangover is kicking in and the analysis is waning.

A grand old day in South East London, plenty to be excited about on the pitch and good to catch up with auld acquaintances off it. Roll on Saturday.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Millwall (A) on 17:07 - Jul 24 with 1686 viewsBlueBoots

Pretty fair verdict (agree about Harness...gave the impression that he was trying to make the difficult dribble or pass; contrast that with TJJ when he came on, who got the ball to stick and kept it simple) Bit harsh on Penney - actually got a couple of decent crosses in, and only recall him letting them get one cross in at the other end; Millwall play wing-backs as well, so was always going to be difficult for him and Burns to impose themselves on the game.

Dredging up my assessment of Ladapo after the Wimbledon friendly last week..."Ladapo - worked hard (leading the press), and ran hard; must have been a nightmare in those conditions. Missed a few chances that he'll probably think he should have done better with, but get the impression that when he takes one, it'll settle him down and more will follow. " Not so much pressing this week (although the same throughout the team, particularly in the flat first half), and fewer chances; can only recall 2, and he worked Bart with one, and the other was a very cool finish; if he does nothing in a game except score 1 or 2 goals, I don't think many our fans would be too upset with that.

May I add that I sat on the most uncomfortable seat I've ever encountered at a football ground at The Den yesterday; considering I actually cycled to the game and was wearing padded shorts, that's some achievement by Millwall
[Post edited 24 Jul 2022 17:11]

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Millwall (A) on 17:25 - Jul 24 with 1611 viewsLord_Lucan

Had a great drink with your big bruv down The Old Kent Rd after a Millwall game (Oh my god, it must be 6 or 7 years a go - seems like yesterday)

Can’t remember the name of the pub and I would wager it’s been knocked down by now.

OKR is not what it was!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Millwall (A) on 17:33 - Jul 24 with 1560 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Millwall (A) on 17:25 - Jul 24 by Lord_Lucan

Had a great drink with your big bruv down The Old Kent Rd after a Millwall game (Oh my god, it must be 6 or 7 years a go - seems like yesterday)

Can’t remember the name of the pub and I would wager it’s been knocked down by now.

OKR is not what it was!

It was October 2011, we left during the second half during an awful performance. Bullard got us back to 2-1 but then we conceded again.

In one of the boozers a load of them went to give our coaches grief as they left, a few older heads in there knew we were Ipswich all along but also didn’t give us any aggro as we were aware of how to respect the environment.

I think we went to about the only 3 pubs that were left back then. Would be surprised if even they are still there now.
Millwall (A) on 18:51 - Jul 24 with 1321 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Millwall (A) on 17:25 - Jul 24 by Lord_Lucan

OKR is not what it was!

Pretty sure it was the Windsor. Still there
Millwall (A) on 21:40 - Jul 24 with 1122 viewsLord_Lucan

Millwall (A) on 18:51 - Jul 24 by PrideOfTheEast

Yeah that's the one, I just Google mapped it.

We travelled to meet you after, where did we meet?

Ended up in The Clerk and Well?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Millwall (A) on 08:27 - Jul 25 with 842 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Millwall (A) on 21:40 - Jul 24 by Lord_Lucan

Yeah that's the one, I just Google mapped it.

We travelled to meet you after, where did we meet?

Ended up in The Clerk and Well?

Somewhere that way - might have been the 3 Kings first but not sure.
Millwall (A) on 08:56 - Jul 25 with 782 viewsunbelievablue

Millwall (A) on 18:51 - Jul 24 by PrideOfTheEast

That's the only one left apart from the 5 Bells, on the corner with Queen's road.

Was really impressed by the St James of Bermondsey on Sat.

Millwall (A) on 09:05 - Jul 25 with 763 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Millwall (A) on 08:56 - Jul 25 by unbelievablue

That's the only one left apart from the 5 Bells, on the corner with Queen's road.

Was really impressed by the St James of Bermondsey on Sat.

Surrey Quays Social Club is where it’s at!
Login to get fewer ads

Millwall (A) on 09:06 - Jul 25 with 762 viewsunbelievablue

Millwall (A) on 09:05 - Jul 25 by PrideOfTheEast

Surrey Quays Social Club is where it’s at!

I noticed the China Hall had shut! Shame. Was that the one Everton rushed?

Millwall (A) on 09:11 - Jul 25 with 752 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Millwall (A) on 09:06 - Jul 25 by unbelievablue

I noticed the China Hall had shut! Shame. Was that the one Everton rushed?

Yeh that closed a while ago. Whealans was the one that got smashed to pieces with the Everton thing - an interesting establishment but sadly now closed too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024