Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The last ever Pink'un 11:29 - Jul 25 with 1522 viewsDJR

Rather sad news.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/jul/23/final-whistle-for-the-pink-un-brit
The Green'un was memorable part of my childhood when I lived in Ipswich. It's match report was a bit short on analysis, but essential buying. From what I can recall it wasn't delivered, so my father nipped off to the newsagent's to pick it up at 6pm, and it became part of the matchday ritual. In the light of this news, I came across an article by Mike Bacon who edited it at the turn of the century. Apparently it shifted 9,000 copies on average but on the day of the "Derby day massacre" it managed an astonishing 16,000 copies.

[Post edited 25 Jul 2022 12:30]
The last ever Pink'un on 11:36 - Jul 25 with 1437 viewsHullblue

They always had the results - and sometimes short match reports - from my under 11s league, which made me feel like a pro. It didn’t matter to me that me and my fellow players were probably the only ones who read them! They were the results from the week before, rather than that day, but still. Good memories.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

The last ever Pink'un on 11:48 - Jul 25 with 1364 viewsSwansea_Blue

It always amazed me how quickly the Green'un was churned out after the final whistle blew

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The last ever Pink'un on 11:57 - Jul 25 with 1313 viewsDJR

The last ever Pink'un on 11:48 - Jul 25 by Swansea_Blue

It always amazed me how quickly the Green'un was churned out after the final whistle blew

I agree but according to Mike Bacon only a few pages were done on the day: presumably they did the Ipswich report as they went along, a bit like the way that Phil must do it. Indeed, Phil's reports are the digital age equivalent of the Green'un's match reports.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2022 12:01]
The last ever Pink'un on 12:32 - Jul 25 with 1104 viewsCaptainAhab

The last ever Pink'un on 11:36 - Jul 25 by Hullblue

They always had the results - and sometimes short match reports - from my under 11s league, which made me feel like a pro. It didn’t matter to me that me and my fellow players were probably the only ones who read them! They were the results from the week before, rather than that day, but still. Good memories.

Yeah same, I'd always pick it up on a Saturday evening and turn straight to the local youth reportsls, used to make my week when I'd occasionally get a mention!
The last ever Pink'un on 12:34 - Jul 25 with 1095 viewsIllinoisblue

The last ever Pink'un on 11:57 - Jul 25 by DJR

I agree but according to Mike Bacon only a few pages were done on the day: presumably they did the Ipswich report as they went along, a bit like the way that Phil must do it. Indeed, Phil's reports are the digital age equivalent of the Green'un's match reports.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2022 12:01]

Yep, all the lower league reports - some of which were really fun to read - would have been in and set on the pages by midweek. From memory, the only “live” pages were front cover, inside front cover and the back cover with all the results on.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The last ever Pink'un on 13:16 - Jul 25 with 953 viewsArnieM

Green ‘ un were originally delivered, coz I used to get into trouble for not getting back from the game in time to deliver them. Eventually got the sack for it too, lol. I’m talking about the very early 1970’s here.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The last ever Pink'un on 13:17 - Jul 25 with 945 viewsunbelievablue

The last ever Pink'un on 11:36 - Jul 25 by Hullblue

Yep, brilliant. Occasionally you'd get a proper match report and your name in there as a goalscorer. Part of the weekend ritual as a kid in Ipswich.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

The last ever Pink'un on 13:23 - Jul 25 with 912 viewsDJR

The last ever Pink'un on 13:16 - Jul 25 by ArnieM

Green ‘ un were originally delivered, coz I used to get into trouble for not getting back from the game in time to deliver them. Eventually got the sack for it too, lol. I’m talking about the very early 1970’s here.

I was around then too, and my memory is not what it was, but I have a feeling we got to the newsagents about the time they were delivered, so we got them "hot off the press", rather than waiting for delivery. Indeed, I can recall on occasions waiting for their arrival.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2022 13:27]
Login to get fewer ads

The last ever Pink'un on 13:26 - Jul 25 with 895 viewsArnieM

The last ever Pink'un on 13:23 - Jul 25 by DJR

I was around then too, and my memory is not what it was, but I have a feeling we got to the newsagents about the time they were delivered, so we got them "hot off the press", rather than waiting for delivery. Indeed, I can recall on occasions waiting for their arrival.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2022 13:27]

Lol, yes people never wanted to wait to read the match report. But I used to have to wait for the bus ride home from the ground…. The buses all used to queue up along PR to the various estates around the town, but of course wouldn’t leave until the bus was full , which took time once people streamed out from the ground at FT

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The last ever Pink'un on 14:48 - Jul 25 with 666 viewsle2blue

The last ever Pink'un on 12:34 - Jul 25 by Illinoisblue

Yep, all the lower league reports - some of which were really fun to read - would have been in and set on the pages by midweek. From memory, the only “live” pages were front cover, inside front cover and the back cover with all the results on.

Yep that’s right. I used to bombed down to Lloyds avenue and that was the first place they delivered to on their way out to the shops. In the mid to late eighties was a bloke their with a flat cap and glasses who used to sell them as well as the Evening Star, fun times. Mad to think that that, a 10 second look east and Ceefax was our main source of footy info….unless you wanted to incur trouble from parents and ring up Bryan Knights on Cluball.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024