Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A fascinating story about round-the-world sailing 08:33 - Jul 26 with 884 viewsSteve_M

Seriously, even if you have no interest in sailing it's still really good on the human endeavour. and character:

https://www.worksinprogress.co/issue/the-maintenance-race/

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A fascinating story about round-the-world sailing on 09:00 - Jul 26 with 838 viewsvilanovablue

I know elements of that story the Crowhurst deception in particular but that is an excellent read, thanks for sharing.
A fascinating story about round-the-world sailing on 09:19 - Jul 26 with 816 viewsNthQldITFC

I've read Alec Rose's 'My lively lady' a few times. I think his single-handed round the world trip was the year before. Same comment really; real character and single-mindedness to survive, let alone complete the trip in an era with very limited technology.

I particularly admire the calm and proficient improvisations that these sort of characters can come up with to get themselves out of a tricky situation. Books like this, and also things like Neville Shute's autobiography 'Slide rule' can be so dry and superficially 'boring', but there's just something so captivating in them for me, which perhaps comes from hankering after a simpler, more honest past which I wasn't lucky enough to have experienced in person.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

A fascinating story about round-the-world sailing on 10:02 - Jul 26 with 788 viewsEwan_Oozami

A fascinating story about round-the-world sailing on 09:19 - Jul 26 by NthQldITFC

I've read Alec Rose's 'My lively lady' a few times. I think his single-handed round the world trip was the year before. Same comment really; real character and single-mindedness to survive, let alone complete the trip in an era with very limited technology.

I particularly admire the calm and proficient improvisations that these sort of characters can come up with to get themselves out of a tricky situation. Books like this, and also things like Neville Shute's autobiography 'Slide rule' can be so dry and superficially 'boring', but there's just something so captivating in them for me, which perhaps comes from hankering after a simpler, more honest past which I wasn't lucky enough to have experienced in person.

+1 for a mention of Nevil Shute!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

A fascinating story about round-the-world sailing on 10:04 - Jul 26 with 784 viewsNthQldITFC

A fascinating story about round-the-world sailing on 10:02 - Jul 26 by Ewan_Oozami

+1 for a mention of Nevil Shute!

But I was talking about Neville Shute! (wrongly, obviously, I thought it looked odd when I typed it)

Nevil Shute Norway actually, wasn't it?
[Post edited 26 Jul 2022 10:04]

A fascinating story about round-the-world sailing on 11:00 - Jul 26 with 754 viewsEwan_Oozami

A fascinating story about round-the-world sailing on 10:04 - Jul 26 by NthQldITFC

But I was talking about Neville Shute! (wrongly, obviously, I thought it looked odd when I typed it)

Nevil Shute Norway actually, wasn't it?
[Post edited 26 Jul 2022 10:04]

It is indeed, and I read his books because I was fascinated by the stories of people who'd worked in the UK aeronautical industry and what they got up to!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

A fascinating story about round-the-world sailing on 11:36 - Jul 26 with 730 viewsNthQldITFC

A fascinating story about round-the-world sailing on 11:00 - Jul 26 by Ewan_Oozami

It is indeed, and I read his books because I was fascinated by the stories of people who'd worked in the UK aeronautical industry and what they got up to!

The R100/101 fiasco seemed to be a terrible example of a government's collective ego getting in the way of everything else, from the way he described it. Plus ça change...

A fascinating story about round-the-world sailing on 04:47 - Aug 3 with 568 viewsX0Y0

Great read, thank you!

Just got round to it having bookmarked it - but would recommend to any others that missed this thread originally.
A fascinating story about round-the-world sailing on 07:32 - Aug 3 with 494 viewsChurchman

Thanks for posting this. Fascinating and awe inspiring. People like Robin Knox-Johnson are just off the scale for me.

It reminded me of the story the Shackleton trans-Antarctic expedition that went so badly wrong then so spectacularly right.

Towards the end they were stuck on Elephant Island with no hope of rescue. The only option was to take one of the little boats they’d kept with them and sail to South Georgia.

The carpenter made a weather deck for it and a bit of a keel and off a few of them went. Worsley navigated this tiny boat 800 miles across the raging seas of the South Atlantic with nothing but a compass and sextant. They had to chip ice off to stop it sinking, survive the Cape Horn rollers, you name it.

They made it to South Georgia after one of the most amazing feats of navigation ever. Shame they were the wrong side and had to climb over the mountains with nothing much. But they made it to the whaling station and the rest of the expedition was rescued. All down to a man, a sextant, a compass, a carpenter, ingenuity and not least Shackleton’s leadership and determination.

The boat, the James Caird, still exists and is on display in Dulwich college.

Edit: this describes it far better than me.

https://shackleton.com/blogs/articles/james-caird-cross-the-southern-ocean
[Post edited 3 Aug 2022 7:34]
Login to get fewer ads

A fascinating story about round-the-world sailing on 09:04 - Aug 3 with 442 viewsGeoffSentence

There is a film about Donald Crowhurst that you might enjoy, The Mercy, it makes quite a bit of the financial pressures that led him to start in the first place.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

A fascinating story about round-the-world sailing on 10:21 - Aug 3 with 407 viewsronnyd

Great read, thanks.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024