Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is anyone else concerned by this? 15:31 - Jul 26 with 13593 viewsDarth_Koont

We’ve just had the Forde Report corroborating one of the worst political scandals in modern times, certainly the most detailed and widespread. And yet our media couldn’t be less interested – bar the fact that many of them immediately copied the Labour spokesman who spun it as a problem with Corbynism that is now over.

But the key findings of the report remain:

– An unelected bureaucracy in one of the two parties that can effectively form a national government worked against their elected leader and the democratic mandate from members of the party.

– These senior staff, whose job and purpose is to support the leader and members the party represents, secretly and as Forde points out wrongfully diverted over 100K of electoral funds to the seats of anti-Corbyn MPs. It wasn’t their money nor had they the election nor democratic brief to do so. They allege it was to protect seats but these weren’t the seats at most risk. This is also in the 2017 election where a hung parliament was on a knife edge and May barely squeaked in with the support of the DUP. So beyond the utter moral failure and democratic abuse here, these efforts may have had repercussions for the whole country and its future. I’m not saying it definitely did or would have but this is why democratic abuse like this can’t be ignored.

– Antisemitism was being weaponised by the Labour right. And, as Forde also points out, the premise for the big debate in the media and beyond (including the Panorama hatchet job) was wrong and “evidence” that Corbyn had got involved a) unbidden by the HQ staff themselves and b) to block investigations and expulsions was entirely misleading. Forde didn’t use the words “attempts to frame Corbyn that overall succeeded” but he’s a lawyer and much more careful. But I’ll certainly put that out there as a question that those involved need to answer.

– The Labour HQ staff were leaking information and briefing “friendly” journalists at every step. So, in the fight against Corbynism (a fight against social democracy and change if we’re being honest), the unelected staff decided early on to take sides against the leader and the wishes of the members. In this way, they mirrored the PLP and prominently vocal MPs who also decided to act against the party’s own internal democracy.

– The culture within the Labour Party is toxic, not just with the unprofessional and undemocratic behaviour of far too many senior staff but also with sexism and racism. Forde received many, many complaints during the evidence gathering and submission phase (plus a few legal warnings from those who knew that the Labour leaks document was true and damning). Forde, coming through loud and clear despite his lawyerly and careful language, is evidently disgusted by a lot of these internal messages and communications. And he points to an organisation that is deeply flawed and toxic.

As I say, most of these issues have been relatively common knowledge and certainly discussed but were dismissed by factional MPs and their media lackeys as allegations. Yet the Forde report absolutely corroborates them and shows that the accepted narrative of the Corbyn years was just that – a narrative people accepted.

Now, that it’s out and independently corroborated where is the media response? How can we trust a media that painted a picture that it either knew was false or that it didn’t bother to investigate?

That’s serious and worrying enough. But what do we also say about a democratic party (the opposition and only alternative, as people are always keen to remind me) that’s been hijacked by genuine rightwingers who will monster and sabotage anyone elected by members to push the case for more equality, justice and a better life for the most vulnerable and ignored in society. What gives these people the right but also the conviction that they’re there to serve other unelected interests??!

For anyone who says this is over now so no use lamenting the past, think again. The Labour Right has total control of the party now – the internal and the political organisation. It’s amended the rules and taken power from the membership to avoid a repeat of someone from the left getting elected. It’s carried on the same purge that Forde describes when staff went around “trot hunting” (instead of dealing with antisemitism cases by the way) and where a “trot” was described as “anyone left of Gordon Brown”. It’s stood by and clapped along to the most dishonest leadership campaign in UK history where Starmer has misrepresented his values and views (as pledges FFS) to then backtrack on the whole programme and the social democratic platform he himself was committed to before and after the 2019 election if you believe his frequent speeches and statements.

If Boris and his government was a democratic scandal and a sign of dysfunctional party politics (it certainly was) then this saga is the same.

So why can I only see a lack of concern in the limited coverage and almost non-existent responses? Do people really think this doesn’t matter?

[Post edited 26 Jul 2022 15:35]

Pronouns: He/Him

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 15:14 - Aug 3 with 2848 viewsRaffles

A schism in a political party is hardly news, and this particular story only causes outrage on Labour's hared left because they are looking for a way to undermine and depose Starmer. Neither side comes out of this very well, but other than for the party and its' headbangers it's fairly small beer compared to what else is happening in the world.
Is anyone else concerned by this? on 11:41 - Aug 4 with 2774 viewsDarth_Koont

Latest update:

Lots of "good men" still doing nothing.

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 10:52 - Aug 6 with 2693 viewsDarth_Koont

Another good piece unravelling the narrative.

And yes, I agree with his conclusion that this evident weaponisation of antisemitism for political/geopolitical reasons is a reckless approach when ultranationalist racism is on the rise.Not to mention, it's also giving cover to the ultranational racism that has increasingly become accepted Israeli policy towards Palestinians.

https://jacobin.com/2022/08/jeremy-corbyn-labour-party-antisemitism-israel

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 13:27 - Aug 8 with 2589 viewsDarth_Koont

Lee Harpin saying the quiet stuff out loud.

Here he is chucking out the antisemitism smear when a Tory MP is lamenting the death of an innocent child in an air strike by an apartheid, oppressive regime.

It’s not antisemitic unless you and your audience are islamophobic ethnic supremacists and/or weaponising antisemitism is your main tactic.

Of course, it would be someone as stupid, dishonest and immoral as Harpin.

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 13:36 - Aug 8 with 2579 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 10:52 - Aug 6 by Darth_Koont

Another good piece unravelling the narrative.

And yes, I agree with his conclusion that this evident weaponisation of antisemitism for political/geopolitical reasons is a reckless approach when ultranationalist racism is on the rise.Not to mention, it's also giving cover to the ultranational racism that has increasingly become accepted Israeli policy towards Palestinians.

https://jacobin.com/2022/08/jeremy-corbyn-labour-party-antisemitism-israel

And here’s another view of it that isn’t from an opinion piece on a publication that quotes Lenin on the home page:-

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/19/key-takeaways-forde-report-labo
Is anyone else concerned by this? on 13:43 - Aug 8 with 2560 viewsDarth_Koont

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 13:36 - Aug 8 by SuperKieranMcKenna

And here’s another view of it that isn’t from an opinion piece on a publication that quotes Lenin on the home page:-

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/19/key-takeaways-forde-report-labo

The Guardian have overall been sh1t on this from the very beginning.

Even here they’re playing up the “both sides” aspect of the Forde report but without even addressing the fact that this was an unelected bureaucracy not doing its job but sabotaging a party and undermining our democracy.

Where is that takeaway?

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 13:53 - Aug 8 with 2546 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 13:43 - Aug 8 by Darth_Koont

The Guardian have overall been sh1t on this from the very beginning.

Even here they’re playing up the “both sides” aspect of the Forde report but without even addressing the fact that this was an unelected bureaucracy not doing its job but sabotaging a party and undermining our democracy.

Where is that takeaway?

“The Guardian have overall been sh1t on this from the very beginning”

What you have done there, is merely express an option - not a fact.

All you are doing on this thread, with respect, is merely regurgitating sources (some of which are just ‘Dave from Twitter’) that you agree with.
Is anyone else concerned by this? on 14:06 - Aug 8 with 2520 viewsDarth_Koont

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 13:53 - Aug 8 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“The Guardian have overall been sh1t on this from the very beginning”

What you have done there, is merely express an option - not a fact.

All you are doing on this thread, with respect, is merely regurgitating sources (some of which are just ‘Dave from Twitter’) that you agree with.

Oh give over. I know what I’m presenting is factual.

Unlike you, I’ve actually read the Forde report, the Labour leaks document and the EHRC findings. Not to mention covered the details of this from the start.

As a result, my opinion of the Guardian’s journalism is that it was sh1t. And some of the worse takes weaponising the issue and building the narrative, like from Jonathan Freedland, even came from there.

Login to get fewer ads

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 09:09 - Aug 13 with 2372 viewsDarth_Koont

After the Forde report confirmed the biggest UK political corruption scandal I’ve ever seen, the media’s silence reveals the extent of their complicity. And the frightening democratic deficit between the political class and the rest of us.

Anyhoo … here’s Magic Grandpa to boil some anti-democratic p1ss.

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 14:03 - Aug 15 with 2282 viewsDarth_Koont

Good article. Both recognising the unnecessary and unrealistic shift right of the current Labour Party as well as the huge missed opportunity of New Labour's 13-year run.

It's a harsh, barbed sideswipe at the end towards the stupidity of those who must see the world around them yet still move right and want to keep things as they are. But overall very fair so I'll allow it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/aug/15/left-age-right-labour-yout

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 14:59 - Aug 16 with 2205 viewsDarth_Koont

Might as well dump this here in the Labour Right rubbish bin.

Has Starmer ever kept a pledge in his life? Does he know what a commitment means? The man has a Johnsonesque relationship to principles, honesty and the truth – and like Johnson he knows his supporters just don't care if he lies.

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 13:18 - Aug 18 with 2101 viewsDarth_Koont

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 14:59 - Aug 16 by Darth_Koont

Might as well dump this here in the Labour Right rubbish bin.

Has Starmer ever kept a pledge in his life? Does he know what a commitment means? The man has a Johnsonesque relationship to principles, honesty and the truth – and like Johnson he knows his supporters just don't care if he lies.

The full version of that is even worse. Starmer must wear asbestos-lined pants.

And a great piece of editing at the end to leave Andrew Neil himself asking the (by now purely sarcastic) question of why the left don’t trust Starmer.

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 12:36 - Sep 23 with 1931 viewsDarth_Koont

There’s much more slipping and sliding out now too.

The Labour Files are a whole new leak adding to the creaking weight of undemocratic sh1thousery.

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 12:59 - Sep 24 with 1830 viewsDarth_Koont

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 12:36 - Sep 23 by Darth_Koont

There’s much more slipping and sliding out now too.

The Labour Files are a whole new leak adding to the creaking weight of undemocratic sh1thousery.

Only managed to finish the full version today. Parts 2 and 3 of the investigation coming over the next day or two. There are some interpretations made by the programme makers that could be seen as slight stretches but the primary source evidence is damning anyway.

Anybody who has a problem with a dishonest, antidemocratic and self-serving Conservative government should be really worried that the same people lead the way in the official opposition too.

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 15:27 - Sep 24 with 1772 viewsXYZ

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 12:59 - Sep 24 by Darth_Koont

Only managed to finish the full version today. Parts 2 and 3 of the investigation coming over the next day or two. There are some interpretations made by the programme makers that could be seen as slight stretches but the primary source evidence is damning anyway.

Anybody who has a problem with a dishonest, antidemocratic and self-serving Conservative government should be really worried that the same people lead the way in the official opposition too.

Hi DK, I was going to post a glib joke about admiring your indefatigability with this thread and ended up watching the whole of that instead.

Shocking and depressing. I've a nagging doubt about whether all the witnesses are giving the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth (e.g. what the antisemitism allegation was against the bloke in Hove), but even so, the evidence of gross misdeeds is overwhelming.

I'm not looking forward to parts 2 & 3 but feel an obligation to watch them now.

Thanks for posting this.
Is anyone else concerned by this? on 07:21 - Sep 26 with 1661 viewsDarth_Koont

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 15:27 - Sep 24 by XYZ

Hi DK, I was going to post a glib joke about admiring your indefatigability with this thread and ended up watching the whole of that instead.

Shocking and depressing. I've a nagging doubt about whether all the witnesses are giving the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth (e.g. what the antisemitism allegation was against the bloke in Hove), but even so, the evidence of gross misdeeds is overwhelming.

I'm not looking forward to parts 2 & 3 but feel an obligation to watch them now.

Thanks for posting this.

Cheers. And agree entirely that it’s shocking and depressing in equal measures. Mainly because it’s still nothing the UK media will touch because it’s not in their interests.

Our own newspapers and news channels are telling us they have interests above and beyond journalism and objective truth ... not just the tabloid rags but the BBC, The Guardian, FT, Times etc. In the even bigger picture of our democracy, that’s one of the main reasons we are where we are now.

Here’s part 2. The story of the antisemitism smear campaign isn’t new but some of the details and corroboration are.

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 07:08 - Sep 29 with 1526 viewsDarth_Koont

Part 3

And while I know that islamophobia and the marginalisation of BAME voices is a national problem and been normalised, Labour is meant to be the main progressive party in the UK.

Darth worth watching this… on 08:08 - Sep 29 with 1476 viewsunstableblue

The labour and labour members that you feel so outraged about being badly treated had made the party completely unelectable … and the party needed radical change

Isn’t that the main point?

We need to get this government out..

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 08:41 - Sep 29 with 1445 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 13:18 - Aug 18 by Darth_Koont

The full version of that is even worse. Starmer must wear asbestos-lined pants.

And a great piece of editing at the end to leave Andrew Neil himself asking the (by now purely sarcastic) question of why the left don’t trust Starmer.

This is starting to look a bit daft in the wake of the progress made on nationalisation at conference this week. Presumably the left of the Party must think that PR is a good move too?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Darth worth watching this… on 08:49 - Sep 29 with 1444 viewsDarth_Koont

Darth worth watching this… on 08:08 - Sep 29 by unstableblue

The labour and labour members that you feel so outraged about being badly treated had made the party completely unelectable … and the party needed radical change

Isn’t that the main point?

We need to get this government out..

Jess Phillips .... jeez.

Sorry mate, but I don’t buy your or her framing of it. People like Jess Phillips made even social democracy unelectable by refusing to entertain it and by briefing against the leadership and a majority of members at every opportunity.

And that was the public stuff. The evidence lifted in this thread shows people who should never be anywhere near power. And it’s the other side of the same sh1tty coin that gave us Brexit, BoJo and now Truss – people who will abuse democracy for their own interests and certainly not to represent the people of the UK.

I also think this “bigger picture” stuff people are coming out with to ignore or dismiss it is pretty poor. Maybe not consciously and more a reaction to the awful Tories (I get that) ... but overhauling our democracy and holding politicians and the media to account is critical to getting the country moving in a genuinely better direction.

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 08:58 - Sep 29 with 1436 viewsDarth_Koont

Is anyone else concerned by this? on 08:41 - Sep 29 by Swansea_Blue

This is starting to look a bit daft in the wake of the progress made on nationalisation at conference this week. Presumably the left of the Party must think that PR is a good move too?

The problem was that Starmer backtracked from that completely. Now it’s back on the agenda because the public have re-affirmed their belief that utilities and key public services should be nationalised. And they’ve been energised by campaigns like Enough is Enough and unionists going around making the case against profiteering private companies and the need to serve ordinary people.

Yes, it’s good that Labour are shifting that way now. But yet again after being outflanked. So no, I don’t trust Starmer as a leader on these issues in the slightest.

Darth worth watching this… on 12:42 - Sep 29 with 1365 viewsunstableblue

Darth worth watching this… on 08:49 - Sep 29 by Darth_Koont

Jess Phillips .... jeez.

Sorry mate, but I don’t buy your or her framing of it. People like Jess Phillips made even social democracy unelectable by refusing to entertain it and by briefing against the leadership and a majority of members at every opportunity.

And that was the public stuff. The evidence lifted in this thread shows people who should never be anywhere near power. And it’s the other side of the same sh1tty coin that gave us Brexit, BoJo and now Truss – people who will abuse democracy for their own interests and certainly not to represent the people of the UK.

I also think this “bigger picture” stuff people are coming out with to ignore or dismiss it is pretty poor. Maybe not consciously and more a reaction to the awful Tories (I get that) ... but overhauling our democracy and holding politicians and the media to account is critical to getting the country moving in a genuinely better direction.

Sorry Darth but have you heard Truss this morning?

Are you seeing what’s going on?

We are in the middle of a right wing populist driven meltdown of the UK

As I keep stating you are about to see this set in and get divisive - we are heading for Fox vs CNN scale media challenges, except ours will be Fox biased.

And you want to stall getting Labour into power and removing these dangerous incompetents, because some of them have had to drag the party into some sort of electable form.

Seriously do you honestly the Labour leadership you think should dominate the party are electable??

Do you honestly think the country can handle any more right wing rule?

Darth worth watching this… on 12:58 - Sep 29 with 1345 viewsDarth_Koont

Darth worth watching this… on 12:42 - Sep 29 by unstableblue

Sorry Darth but have you heard Truss this morning?

Are you seeing what’s going on?

We are in the middle of a right wing populist driven meltdown of the UK

As I keep stating you are about to see this set in and get divisive - we are heading for Fox vs CNN scale media challenges, except ours will be Fox biased.

And you want to stall getting Labour into power and removing these dangerous incompetents, because some of them have had to drag the party into some sort of electable form.

Seriously do you honestly the Labour leadership you think should dominate the party are electable??

Do you honestly think the country can handle any more right wing rule?

We are where we are because we think the answer to right populism is always centre-right tinkering and essentially keeping the status quo.

We have to reverse not just slow down the direction of travel. And I don’t believe Starmer and the Labour right are willing to do that in any meaningful way.

I’ll keep having a go at them until they show me they’re a real part of the solution and not just blocking the path to change.

That’s all on policy. The rest of this thread sums up what I think of the dishonesty, untrustworthiness and anti-democratic authoritarian manner of “representing” voters.

We need much, much better across the board.

Darth worth watching this… on 13:32 - Sep 29 with 1302 viewsunstableblue

Darth worth watching this… on 12:58 - Sep 29 by Darth_Koont

We are where we are because we think the answer to right populism is always centre-right tinkering and essentially keeping the status quo.

We have to reverse not just slow down the direction of travel. And I don’t believe Starmer and the Labour right are willing to do that in any meaningful way.

I’ll keep having a go at them until they show me they’re a real part of the solution and not just blocking the path to change.

That’s all on policy. The rest of this thread sums up what I think of the dishonesty, untrustworthiness and anti-democratic authoritarian manner of “representing” voters.

We need much, much better across the board.

Darth, value your opinion, but we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

The UK has gone very right, red wall an example, Brexit another in a perverse way. Just look at the headlines of the Daily’s for the past 2 years. Julia Hartley Brewer hosted a leadership debate. Mind boggling.

You think a new hard left agenda is going to fly?!

Change will come when the UK, it’s government and the markets change what they value. A green and sustainable revolution is the catalyst. And it’s possible.

But anyway, Blue Army!

Darth worth watching this... on 08:23 - Sep 30 with 1188 viewsDarth_Koont

Darth worth watching this… on 13:32 - Sep 29 by unstableblue

Darth, value your opinion, but we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

The UK has gone very right, red wall an example, Brexit another in a perverse way. Just look at the headlines of the Daily’s for the past 2 years. Julia Hartley Brewer hosted a leadership debate. Mind boggling.

You think a new hard left agenda is going to fly?!

Change will come when the UK, it’s government and the markets change what they value. A green and sustainable revolution is the catalyst. And it’s possible.

But anyway, Blue Army!

No worries.

But just to say, I’m not talking a “hard left agenda” by any means. It’s a european social democrat agenda.

The UK people already value those policies – better public services, lifting up the bottom of society and protecting their interests rather than the top or middle, investment in infrastructure and industry outside of London, building houses etc etc..

But our establishment politicians and media don’t and they keep telling us that policies like that are just not possible. Or that these policies are “hard left”. What they really mean is they want policies and spending that serve them and their own financial interests first and foremost.

That close-minded political industry is a natural result of our two-party electoral system. But we know this. We just need to keep pressuring them to keep the public interest and the needs of the country top of mind. And not be suckered by meagre steps that overall do little in that regard.

It’s time to get real for a change.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024