Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jacko didn't manage to score against a non league defence then.. 09:59 - Jul 27 with 1208 viewsWallingford_Boy

How odd!

HeHe only teasing, no haters please, I am feeling delicate after celebrating the England win last night!

RIP Sir Bobby

It does raise an interesting point on 10:12 - Jul 27 with 1167 viewsGuthrum

Quite a few people seem to be worrying about who is going to be our "big goalscorer" and how many they might get. But last night several members of the team scored and we won the match.

I think sometimes people forget that it's a team game, rather than simply a setup to support an individual "hero" who puts the ball in the net. That Forwards can be effective by setting up goals, rather than necessarily scoring themselves*. Reading Paul Mariner's book, it really came across to me how much he was about facilitating goals from others, not just selfishly scoring them himself.

* This being about getting others into scoring positions or disrupting defences, which is not the same as being unable to hit the target or beat the 'keeper.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

It does raise an interesting point on 10:27 - Jul 27 with 1117 viewshomer_123

It does raise an interesting point on 10:12 - Jul 27 by Guthrum

Quite a few people seem to be worrying about who is going to be our "big goalscorer" and how many they might get. But last night several members of the team scored and we won the match.

I think sometimes people forget that it's a team game, rather than simply a setup to support an individual "hero" who puts the ball in the net. That Forwards can be effective by setting up goals, rather than necessarily scoring themselves*. Reading Paul Mariner's book, it really came across to me how much he was about facilitating goals from others, not just selfishly scoring them himself.

* This being about getting others into scoring positions or disrupting defences, which is not the same as being unable to hit the target or beat the 'keeper.

Indeed, see Tommy Miller - a player who always looked to 'break the lines' and get into good attacking positions, notably working well with Pablo.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

It does raise an interesting point on 10:30 - Jul 27 with 1101 viewsWallingford_Boy

How many assists did Jacko get last night?

RIP Sir Bobby

It does raise an interesting point on 10:33 - Jul 27 with 1085 viewsunbelievablue

Last season the three promoted teams had an 18+ goal player.

Will Keane 26 (Wigan, champs)
Ross Stewart 25 (Sunderland, playoffs)
Michael Smith 18 (Rotherham, 2md)

I don't have time today to check previous seasons but suggest a player with at least 15 goals is almost a pre-requisite for promotion.

EDIT:

2020/21

Hull had 2x 18 goal players, Posh had 1x 31 goal player, and Blackpool had 1x 20 goal player.

2019/20

None of the 3x promoted teams had a 15 goal player (Cov and Rovrum had 1x 14 goal player each - Ladapo for Rovrum)

2018/19

Luton had 1x 25 goal player, Charlton had 1x 21 goal player, Barnsley had 1x 17 goal player.

2017/18

Wigan had 1x 19 goal player, Blackburn had 1x 18 goal player, Rovrum didn't have anyone over 12 goals.

Suggest that based on the above, being promoted without a 15+ goal player makes you an outlier. Would he very happy to be that outlier, obviously, and perhaps McKenna's setup is more conducive to players from across the line-up pitching in.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 10:42]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

It does raise an interesting point on 12:33 - Jul 27 with 906 viewsFifeITFC

It does raise an interesting point on 10:30 - Jul 27 by Wallingford_Boy

He only played 45 minutes. Personally, I liked what I saw of Jacko last night. He worked hard, pressed well and ran well with the ball all over the front line.

Have no concerns or worries about him this season, seems a renewed figure under McKenna and much more hungry for the shirt than I've seen before.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

It does raise an interesting point on 12:44 - Jul 27 with 847 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You say you're only teasing in the OP and then you post this? Or are you still "only teasing"?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

It does raise an interesting point on 12:51 - Jul 27 with 828 viewsDJR

At Millwall, he laid a chance on a plate for Morsy who missed, and opened up space for others with his pace and movement off the ball. If you count the time he played last night and at Millwall it doesn't add up to 90 minutes anyway, and I don't think McK considers him a main goal scorer in any event. For what it is worth, I think more players will chip in with more goals this season because of the players we now have, and the way we will play.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 12:54]
Jacko didn't manage to score against a non league defence then.. on 12:56 - Jul 27 with 798 viewsringwoodblue

I think all the players deserve a clean slate at this point and not to be judged by previous seasons under different managers and systems and playing alongside different teammates.

My personal view is Ladapo and JJ will score on average more per minute played than Jacko but I’m still quietly hoping for another striker to come in who will top the lot.

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

Login to get fewer ads

It does raise an interesting point on 13:40 - Jul 27 with 692 viewschicoazul

We need 6 or 7 players to get into double figures this season or someone to have an outstanding personal figure. As things stand we have 3 or 4 we can feel reasonably confident about. Concerns over goals are warranted especially considering they dried up towards the end of last season with one outlier, and 24 left the club.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

It does raise an interesting point on 13:43 - Jul 27 with 673 viewsWallingford_Boy

It does raise an interesting point on 12:44 - Jul 27 by The_Flashing_Smile

You say you're only teasing in the OP and then you post this? Or are you still "only teasing"?

Deadly serious!

RIP Sir Bobby

It does raise an interesting point on 13:43 - Jul 27 with 672 viewsBondiBlue

It does raise an interesting point on 10:33 - Jul 27 by unbelievablue

Last season the three promoted teams had an 18+ goal player.

Will Keane 26 (Wigan, champs)
Ross Stewart 25 (Sunderland, playoffs)
Michael Smith 18 (Rotherham, 2md)

I don't have time today to check previous seasons but suggest a player with at least 15 goals is almost a pre-requisite for promotion.

EDIT:

2020/21

Hull had 2x 18 goal players, Posh had 1x 31 goal player, and Blackpool had 1x 20 goal player.

2019/20

None of the 3x promoted teams had a 15 goal player (Cov and Rovrum had 1x 14 goal player each - Ladapo for Rovrum)

2018/19

Luton had 1x 25 goal player, Charlton had 1x 21 goal player, Barnsley had 1x 17 goal player.

2017/18

Wigan had 1x 19 goal player, Blackburn had 1x 18 goal player, Rovrum didn't have anyone over 12 goals.

Suggest that based on the above, being promoted without a 15+ goal player makes you an outlier. Would he very happy to be that outlier, obviously, and perhaps McKenna's setup is more conducive to players from across the line-up pitching in.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 10:42]

Chicken and egg though. Does a 15-goal player get a team promoted or does a team that's good enough to get promoted help a player get 15 goals?

Poll: Which would you accept?

It does raise an interesting point on 13:44 - Jul 27 with 663 viewsunbelievablue

It does raise an interesting point on 13:43 - Jul 27 by BondiBlue

Chicken and egg though. Does a 15-goal player get a team promoted or does a team that's good enough to get promoted help a player get 15 goals?

Symbiotic, agreed, but the result is the result. Good teams need goalscorers, regardless of how those goals are scored.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

It does raise an interesting point on 13:56 - Jul 27 with 631 viewsFifeITFC

It does raise an interesting point on 13:40 - Jul 27 by chicoazul

We need 6 or 7 players to get into double figures this season or someone to have an outstanding personal figure. As things stand we have 3 or 4 we can feel reasonably confident about. Concerns over goals are warranted especially considering they dried up towards the end of last season with one outlier, and 24 left the club.

I think 6 or 7 is unrealistic, but 3 or 4 definitely.

It does raise an interesting point on 14:00 - Jul 27 with 620 viewschicoazul

It does raise an interesting point on 13:56 - Jul 27 by FifeITFC

I think 6 or 7 is unrealistic, but 3 or 4 definitely.

We need 80 goals. I struggle to see how we get them.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

It does raise an interesting point on 16:31 - Jul 27 with 484 viewsjayessess

It does raise an interesting point on 13:43 - Jul 27 by BondiBlue

None of Will Keane, Ross Stewart or Michael Smith had ever had a 15-goal season before, so last season it was definitely the latter.

(That said, Will Keane scored 26 goals from just 92 shots, which is just ridiculous.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

It does raise an interesting point on 16:44 - Jul 27 with 445 viewsFifeITFC

It does raise an interesting point on 14:00 - Jul 27 by chicoazul

We need 80 goals. I struggle to see how we get them.

Can you name clubs that have managed 6 or 7 scorers who hit that, let alone the last time we did it?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024