Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big Oil 22:08 - Jul 28 with 884 viewsOldsmoker

Just watched the 2nd episode.
The TV is OK despite what I threw at it.
Exxon Mobil are evil.
Koch Industries are evil.
All US coal, Oil and Gas industries are evil.
They were making a fortune, yet they had to make sure that they continued to make excessive profits by bullying and shouting the loudest that the science wasn't settled. It was 99% settled but because there was 1% doubt, that meant Global warming might be true but you couldn't 100% prove it was the fault of fossil fuels.
Absolute C units.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Big Oil on 22:17 - Jul 28 with 841 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’m more disappointed with Gav at times like this, as I ‘d like to give this more that one uppie.

We’ve all the evidence needed to show how those with a vested interest have influenced opinion, but STILL they catch gullible people and convince them to argue for them against the common good. Does my head in (parallels here with things like Brexit and Covid vaccines, but I don’t want to hijack the thread!).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Big Oil on 22:28 - Jul 28 with 819 viewsOldsmoker

Big Oil on 22:17 - Jul 28 by Swansea_Blue

I’m more disappointed with Gav at times like this, as I ‘d like to give this more that one uppie.

We’ve all the evidence needed to show how those with a vested interest have influenced opinion, but STILL they catch gullible people and convince them to argue for them against the common good. Does my head in (parallels here with things like Brexit and Covid vaccines, but I don’t want to hijack the thread!).

There was a guy who worked for Koch, but saw the light, who said that this doubt that they seeded delayed action by 10 years perhaps 20.
There was another whose job it was to promote the lies/doubt who was extremely proud of what he did. It was just a game/job to him.
Interesting that the US stalled its response to Climate change every time a Republican president was in charge.

Big Oil on 22:32 - Jul 28 with 808 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I saw the first episode. Very good documentary making, allowing the couple of narcissists willing to appear on the programme, a PR guy and a denier scientist, to damn themselves from their own mouths. One of them almost smirked when (in his view) given "credit" for having influenced history.

It's serious, slightly heavy, telly, but well worth a watch to recap and remind ourselves that the Neo-Con Corporatist "lie first, lie clearly, lie loudly, lie often" approach pre-dates Trump or Brexit.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2022 22:38]
Big Oil on 22:39 - Jul 28 with 786 viewsNthQldITFC

Culpable. I can't imagine that the children or grandchildren of those executives will be able to forgive them.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

It’s a must watch documentary - and once again it’s right wing populism, rig on 22:51 - Jul 28 with 763 viewsunstableblue

… wing media and right wing politicians at the heart of it!

Fox News, Trump and Farage are still trumpeting the fake PR that big oil and gas paid to pump out… decades later … because it helped their twisted agendas

Fox News has caused so much harm

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Big Oil on 22:59 - Jul 28 with 752 viewsSwansea_Blue

Big Oil on 22:28 - Jul 28 by Oldsmoker

There was a guy who worked for Koch, but saw the light, who said that this doubt that they seeded delayed action by 10 years perhaps 20.
There was another whose job it was to promote the lies/doubt who was extremely proud of what he did. It was just a game/job to him.
Interesting that the US stalled its response to Climate change every time a Republican president was in charge.

Don’t, it just makes me angry. I suppose whistleblowers are needed, but WTF have they been doing up until now?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Big Oil on 23:11 - Jul 28 with 731 viewsOldsmoker

Big Oil on 22:59 - Jul 28 by Swansea_Blue

Don’t, it just makes me angry. I suppose whistleblowers are needed, but WTF have they been doing up until now?

I take pride in the fact that the BBC and it's programs, especially the news, are broadcast in so many nations.
But so is the US TV and it's media.
The US, through its TV and films has convinced a lot of the world that it's the best country in the world. It isn't.
I used to think that all Americans had perfect teeth, until I went there.
The US is Bullsh*tting Central.
They know how to do it and they know how to do it really well.

Big Oil on 23:56 - Aug 4 with 444 viewsOldsmoker

Just watched episode 3 of 3.
It was called DELAY, DENY AND DEFLECT
Didn't tell us much more than we already knew.
It did introduce us to the Climate Change Champions.
Y'know, the ones who told us Climate change was real and the Oil companies were responsible.
The Oil companies bought their souls and made them advocate fossil fuels.
Fracking is good - apparently.
They knew that the Earth would boil some 40 years ago.
They decided to make as much money as they could before World opinion turned against them. They did what was necessary to stop politicians (Al Gore) creating policies to thwart them.
They promoted politicians like George W Bush and D*ckwad T*umpf to stop anti-fossil fuel policies.
The Oil industry chose to make money rather than save the planet.
We're rich and Global Warming is a problem for someone else.

When Mad Max is seen as a soft version of reality, I hope I'll be dead.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024