Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All-white Women Euro 2022 team 22:42 - Jul 28 with 10420 viewsOldsmoker

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12647577/womens-euros-2022-all-whi

Hmmm. Is this a thing?
Is the team racist?
We have a centre forward called White - is that the slam dunk obvious fact that says Yes - we are a racist team.
Alex Scott is part of the BBC team of presenters so does that mean no (??).
[Post edited 28 Jul 2022 22:42]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 23:10 - Jul 28 with 4910 viewsnick141

No one’s saying it’s a racist team, but there’s clearly a lack of diversity, which is different.

I cant comment beyond that but just wanted to clarify before the discourse gets silly.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 23:16 - Jul 28 with 4890 viewsOldsmoker

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 23:10 - Jul 28 by nick141

No one’s saying it’s a racist team, but there’s clearly a lack of diversity, which is different.

I cant comment beyond that but just wanted to clarify before the discourse gets silly.

The fact that our best 11 are white is one of those things.
1966 team was all white.
Am I starting a discussion or trying to flush out the racists?
You are wise beyond your years young Nick.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 01:03 - Jul 29 with 4758 viewsBasingstokeBlue

The team seem are sponsored by Cinch.

The face of Cinch i(n their TV adverts) is that Ryland twunt (he with the luminous teeth).

After the magnificent win the other night, three of the team turned to show their names on the back of their shirts: Bright White Daly. This could be a toothpaste advert or, worse, a reference to that Ryland tosser.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 01:37 - Jul 29 with 4743 viewsBigCommon

It's not even a thing, unless people want it to be.. Just a coincidence, imo, that the best of the current crop available, happen to be white. Which is neither here nor there..
Shocking agender, from some quarters.. ( Not aimed at the OP)..
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 05:53 - Jul 29 with 4607 viewsBarcaBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 01:37 - Jul 29 by BigCommon

It's not even a thing, unless people want it to be.. Just a coincidence, imo, that the best of the current crop available, happen to be white. Which is neither here nor there..

It's disingenuous to dismiss it as a coincidence. There are likely to be a number of reasons why the England team is all white and I doubt coincidence is one of them.

Agender is a whole different debate.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 06:14 - Jul 29 with 4587 viewsjeera

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 01:37 - Jul 29 by BigCommon

"that the best of the current crop available".

You're coming at this from completely the wrong angle.

The question is why some people had the opportunity to reach a place of being the best crop available over others.

This attitude is seriously a few decades old and if it was still applied to the men's game or other sports/roles in life it would suggest some extremely unsavoury connotations.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 06:43 - Jul 29 with 4542 viewsibbleobble

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 06:14 - Jul 29 by jeera

"that the best of the current crop available".

You're coming at this from completely the wrong angle.

The question is why some people had the opportunity to reach a place of being the best crop available over others.

This attitude is seriously a few decades old and if it was still applied to the men's game or other sports/roles in life it would suggest some extremely unsavoury connotations.

Are you implying there’s institutional racism in the women’s game and that white women are afforded more opportunity than other ethnicities? England is 86% white so it’s no surprise that a team is predominantly white.

Wokism on steroids if there’s serious scrutiny around the demographic of an all white team in a country where the vast majority of people are white.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 07:03 - Jul 29 with 4472 viewsBarcaBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 06:43 - Jul 29 by ibbleobble

Are you implying there’s institutional racism in the women’s game and that white women are afforded more opportunity than other ethnicities? England is 86% white so it’s no surprise that a team is predominantly white.

Wokism on steroids if there’s serious scrutiny around the demographic of an all white team in a country where the vast majority of people are white.

The women's team that have played this tournament aren'tt predominantly white. They are white, 100%.

Certainly questions should be asked.

Now get back to the Daily Mail comments section where you can happily debate wokism with your mates.
Login to get fewer ads

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 07:25 - Jul 29 with 4359 viewsFtnfwest

Not watched a second of it as simply not interested but very well done to them on their achievements. Having seen a picture of the team when lining up it looks like eleven people to me.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 07:32 - Jul 29 with 4326 viewsBlue_In_Boston

To be honest I never took any notice until someone pointed it out, but surely you pick your best players regardless of colour?

Watching the Commonwealth games opening last night and Team England suggests that sport is available for all, maybe athletics is a more attractive route than football?
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 07:37 - Jul 29 with 4309 viewsSteve_M

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 05:53 - Jul 29 by BarcaBlue

It's disingenuous to dismiss it as a coincidence. There are likely to be a number of reasons why the England team is all white and I doubt coincidence is one of them.

It's more a grassroots issue it seems, many women's clubs are in rural areas and need more effort to get girls there than would be the case in more urban areas. That's compounded by there being less money in the women's game which offsets some of the above in the men's game.

Slightly too much is being made of the England team given that the squad is not all white though but, I agree with you, it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 07:53 - Jul 29 with 4246 viewsSheffordBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 07:37 - Jul 29 by Steve_M

It's more a grassroots issue it seems, many women's clubs are in rural areas and need more effort to get girls there than would be the case in more urban areas. That's compounded by there being less money in the women's game which offsets some of the above in the men's game.

Slightly too much is being made of the England team given that the squad is not all white though but, I agree with you, it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

I'd add I think there's probably a generational issue here in that those starting for England now probably started playing 10/15 years ago. It would be useful to look at the mix of players at the elite level in lower age categories to see if progress is coming.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:01 - Jul 29 with 4181 viewsVic

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 07:53 - Jul 29 by SheffordBlue

I'd add I think there's probably a generational issue here in that those starting for England now probably started playing 10/15 years ago. It would be useful to look at the mix of players at the elite level in lower age categories to see if progress is coming.

Sensible post.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:23 - Jul 29 with 4127 viewsclive_baker

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 06:43 - Jul 29 by ibbleobble

That's a pretty flawed measure given the average age in this country is 50 odd, its more like 80% when you look at 18-30 year olds, which is more typical of the age you'll be when playing football for England.

Either way, I don't think that's really relevant, I agree it is somewhat odd that the whole side is caucasian, it doesn't reflect the nation in that respect. Having said that there are non caucasian players in the squad who aren't in the starting XI, and 5-10 years ago I remember watching England women and the only 3 players I can name from that side were Rachel Yankey, Alex Scott and Aluko who are all of colour, so I'm not sure it's necessarily a long standing institutional racism basde on that evidence, but certainly worth the FA undstanding if there are the pathways into womens football for all backgrounds. Having girls play football in all schools in PE etc would be a massive start, rather than relying on out of school clubs and summer camps which can, perhaps, add a barrier to those that can't afford them.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:33 - Jul 29 with 4042 viewsibbleobble

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 07:03 - Jul 29 by BarcaBlue

The women's team that have played this tournament aren'tt predominantly white. They are white, 100%.

Now get back to the Daily Mail comments section where you can happily debate wokism with your mates.

Pathetic. In Suffolk the demographic is 97% white whereas in London it’s 47%. A lot of folk in Suffolk (IMO) feel the need to call out things like this when they see or don’t see different ethnicities to align themselves with some sense of virtue. In London the vast majority don’t even notice colour, they just see people.

Who cares if the England team are all white given being white is a mixture of a multitude of different cultures throughout evolution. In a country that’s 87%, you’d expect a team to arbitrarily be 87% white and 13% represented by other ethnicities. It’s not but maybe next season that’ll swing beyond 13%.

The fact you’ve insinuated I’m racist with your weak Daily Mail jibe is ironic given it’s you noticing people for their colour and making a point of it whereas others just see people for people irrespective of ethnicity.

I wonder if the same debate was a being had about the Swedish female National team as they’re not representing a 1% African descent ethnicity in their side…
[Post edited 29 Jul 2022 8:38]
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:38 - Jul 29 with 3984 viewsSharkey

The same issue is talked about quite a bit in the Swedish press. In Sweden, girls’/women’s football tends to be played by middle-class girls in the villages and leafy suburbs, ... where there are more pitches and fewer other entertainments. The women from the ‘grittier’ parts of the cities tend to gravitate towards basketball.

They say that to the Chinese we all look alike. When it comes to women’s football in Sweden, I can easily see that. I offended a friend who showed me a photo of his daughter’s team when I asked how he can tell which one is his daughter!
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:39 - Jul 29 with 3977 viewsCornishMariner

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 07:32 - Jul 29 by Blue_In_Boston

To be honest I never took any notice until someone pointed it out, but surely you pick your best players regardless of colour?

Watching the Commonwealth games opening last night and Team England suggests that sport is available for all, maybe athletics is a more attractive route than football?

This time last year I contacted several clubs local to me trying to find a team for my 15-year old daughter to train with. She plays for the school team, can out run the boys and has an eye for goal. Only one even bothered to reply. She has since joined an athletics club and is thriving.
In the end I got the feeling it was about who you know not how dedicated you are prepared to be. Maybe the locals (Norfolk) got wind of our ITFC allegiance. If these barriers are there for us, it must be hard for families that are less confident about being welcomed into a club.
I am sure things will change in the long run, especially in cities, and the current coverage of the English women will be a catalyst for more clubs and teams. However let's not pretend that there are not some very talented girls form all different backgrounds that are simply not getting an opportunity to play.

Poll: Between now and the new season will you mostly be ....

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:43 - Jul 29 with 3956 viewsclive_baker

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:39 - Jul 29 by CornishMariner

This time last year I contacted several clubs local to me trying to find a team for my 15-year old daughter to train with. She plays for the school team, can out run the boys and has an eye for goal. Only one even bothered to reply. She has since joined an athletics club and is thriving.
In the end I got the feeling it was about who you know not how dedicated you are prepared to be. Maybe the locals (Norfolk) got wind of our ITFC allegiance. If these barriers are there for us, it must be hard for families that are less confident about being welcomed into a club.
I am sure things will change in the long run, especially in cities, and the current coverage of the English women will be a catalyst for more clubs and teams. However let's not pretend that there are not some very talented girls form all different backgrounds that are simply not getting an opportunity to play.

What's she up to tomorrow?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:44 - Jul 29 with 3954 viewsblueislander

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:33 - Jul 29 by ibbleobble

Pathetic. In Suffolk the demographic is 97% white whereas in London it’s 47%. A lot of folk in Suffolk (IMO) feel the need to call out things like this when they see or don’t see different ethnicities to align themselves with some sense of virtue. In London the vast majority don’t even notice colour, they just see people.

Who cares if the England team are all white given being white is a mixture of a multitude of different cultures throughout evolution. In a country that’s 87%, you’d expect a team to arbitrarily be 87% white and 13% represented by other ethnicities. It’s not but maybe next season that’ll swing beyond 13%.

The fact you’ve insinuated I’m racist with your weak Daily Mail jibe is ironic given it’s you noticing people for their colour and making a point of it whereas others just see people for people irrespective of ethnicity.

I wonder if the same debate was a being had about the Swedish female National team as they’re not representing a 1% African descent ethnicity in their side…
[Post edited 29 Jul 2022 8:38]

There have been plenty of black women in past England teams.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:53 - Jul 29 with 3926 viewsblueasfook

What a ridiculous question that the team is racist. There have been a number of BAME players in the England team over the years.

The lack of BAME players in the current team is notable but the reasons for it are not because the team is racist.

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:54 - Jul 29 with 3911 viewsZXBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 05:53 - Jul 29 by BarcaBlue

Whilst I would often agree, I don't see how one can readily reach that conclusion here. Many of the team's previous best known players have not been white; from Alex Scott, through the likes of Rachel Yankey and so on. Furthermore, 3 of the squad are black, of course.

There may be some reasons that the increased interest in womens football has resonated less with some communities than others, of course. Those reasons are not necessarily sinister, but you need far wider consideration fo stats over time to reach that view in any event.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:54 - Jul 29 with 3912 viewsVeggie

It’s depends. If no one has described any of the players as lazy or not particularly good, then that’s 100% proof that football fans are racist. At least on this forum.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:01 - Jul 29 with 3879 viewsZXBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 07:03 - Jul 29 by BarcaBlue

Thats not true. Jess Carter played against Nothern Ireland and Nikita parris has played too, albeit briefly.

Both Parris and Demi Stokes are int eh squad and have been regulars in the past.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:01 - Jul 29 with 3884 viewsLancsBlue

The answer lies lower down the scale. My daughter spent two years at Man City and three years at Everton up to age 16. There is absolutely no money in girls football in those age groups . Many have to buy their own kit and arrange their own transport to training and matches. We were travelling over 30 miles to Liverpool three times a week whilst she was at Everton. Consequently the game at that age relies on parents financing it, so consequently it is largely a middle-class thing. The car-park for training was full of new and expensive cars. Without a car it would be impossible. Even in Manchester and Liverpool my daughter only had four black teamates in five years, no asians and very few white kids from working class backgrounds.

Poll: If you watch Town less often than in the past, what is the main reason?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:03 - Jul 29 with 3870 viewsCornishMariner

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:43 - Jul 29 by clive_baker

What's she up to tomorrow?

Training in the morning and then straight down to Ipswich for the match :)

Poll: Between now and the new season will you mostly be ....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024