Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leif Davis 10:33 - Jul 31 with 3757 viewsSTYG

Has a lot of Cresswell about him.

Height / stature wise. Appearance wise to a small degree. Gets forward. Clearly has a good delivery on him.

He wasn’t great yesterday but when Bournemouth fans wanted to keep him and they play a similar style, then he’s clearly going to be a good player.

Thought Leigh was very unlucky not to start given he’s had a good pre-season. On merit Leigh comes in for FGR but I’d imagine McKenna won’t want to hit Davis confidence wise this early on by making changes.

Could see one change maybe with Aluko or John-Jules in for Harness with Chaplin on the left.

For a game we should dominate possession I would expect Evans to start again. If Ball is fit and FGR like to build up centrally (no idea on how they play) then Ball should come in if fully fit, even if Evans did play well yesterday.

Think Bolton being so direct played into our hands because without that Ball type player we could have been exposed at times.
Leif Davis on 10:40 - Jul 31 with 3097 viewsWallingford_Boy

Same team again, it’s the best we have.

RIP Sir Bobby

Leif Davis on 10:42 - Jul 31 with 3096 viewsVeggie

Leif Davis on 10:40 - Jul 31 by Wallingford_Boy

Same team again, it’s the best we have.

It’s a difficult one, because I think Aluko makes us tick. But I appreciate he probably can’t last 90 mins, and is a good option to bring on when opposition are tiring.
Leif Davis on 12:13 - Jul 31 with 2915 viewsDinnernotTea

Early days but he was more Penney than Creswell.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Leif Davis on 12:22 - Jul 31 with 2863 viewsZXBlue

Leif Davis on 10:42 - Jul 31 by Veggie

It’s a difficult one, because I think Aluko makes us tick. But I appreciate he probably can’t last 90 mins, and is a good option to bring on when opposition are tiring.

Not sure where this idea that Aluko cant play 90 minutes comes from.

He is a professional footballer and only 33. Whilst not quite in his prime anymore, that is hardly old for a footballer who has looked after himself.
Leif Davis on 12:31 - Jul 31 with 2851 viewsTractorTom5

Leif Davis on 12:13 - Jul 31 by DinnernotTea

Early days but he was more Penney than Creswell.

Penney’s been good in pre season
Too many get on his back but Leif was poor yesterday
LWB should be Leigh or Penney
Leif Davis on 12:42 - Jul 31 with 2784 viewspointofblue

Leif Davis on 12:31 - Jul 31 by TractorTom5

You think Penney, who struggled more often than not last season, is ahead of Davis, who was rated by Bournemouth and Leeds at a higher level, based on one game where, for nearly half of his time on the pitch, all of our players looked second best - not just Davis.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Leif Davis on 12:42 - Jul 31 with 2784 viewsVeggie

We’ve spent £1m on Davis. He’s not here to warm the bench (well, posh leatherette car seat thingy).
Leif Davis on 12:51 - Jul 31 with 2742 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Has Leif pooped on your cornflakes or something? A quick look at your recent posts suggests a slightly irrational focus on him.
Login to get fewer ads

Leif Davis on 12:59 - Jul 31 with 2662 viewsTractorTom5

Leif Davis on 12:42 - Jul 31 by pointofblue

You think Penney, who struggled more often than not last season, is ahead of Davis, who was rated by Bournemouth and Leeds at a higher level, based on one game where, for nearly half of his time on the pitch, all of our players looked second best - not just Davis.

Ye I do. If Bournemouth or Leeds thought that if him he wouldn’t be our player !
We’ve spent 1 million on him
Penney was free
Leif Davis on 13:01 - Jul 31 with 2643 viewsTractorTom5

Leif Davis on 12:51 - Jul 31 by DropCliffsNotBombs

Has Leif pooped on your cornflakes or something? A quick look at your recent posts suggests a slightly irrational focus on him.

Ye it’s a lot of money on a relatively unknown
Yesterday showed we need to put our chances away- I think we could do with an out n out striker
Leif Davis on 13:11 - Jul 31 with 2590 viewsSimonds92

Leif Davis on 12:42 - Jul 31 by Veggie

We’ve spent £1m on Davis. He’s not here to warm the bench (well, posh leatherette car seat thingy).

Id be playing GregLeigh next league game. He looked an improvement on Penney. I can see the comparison from the OP in terms of style of play but he's got a lot of improvement to make to be anywhere near Cresswell. You just knew he was a player instantly, he did get a full preseason though.
Leif Davis on 13:25 - Jul 31 with 2545 viewspointofblue

Leif Davis on 12:59 - Jul 31 by TractorTom5

Ye I do. If Bournemouth or Leeds thought that if him he wouldn’t be our player !
Penney was free

Neither of them thought he was Premier League standard, which is fair enough. Sounds like Bournemouth would have made an offer for him had they not gone up.

I do have doubts about the amount paid but it's ridiculous writing him off already.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Leif Davis on 13:32 - Jul 31 with 2527 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Leif Davis on 12:59 - Jul 31 by TractorTom5

Penney was free

You base this all on one game after signing less than a week ago with no pre season games and not long after flying back from Australia? Wow.
Leif Davis on 14:27 - Jul 31 with 2409 viewsBigCommon

Penalty aside, Davis was ok for me. Recall him showing good pace to get back at his man a few times.. Harness playing on the left AM , in front of Davis, and not really getting going , may also reflect on Davis performance higher up the pitch, yesterday..
Leigh and JJ will get plaudits for their half hour, and rightly so. But lets not forget, the game was stretched when they came on, and Bolton were blowing a bit by then...
Strong opposition yesterday. Both Davis and Harness will have much better games for us, there's no doubt.
Both new to the club, both debuts in front of a huge expectant crowd.
Let's get behind them, if we want to see the best from them, going forwards.
Btw, imo, there were worse errors in the team, yesterday, than the penalty conceded by Davis... Had we sneaked a win, (which we should have done), the penalty gets forgotten about...
Leif Davis on 14:36 - Jul 31 with 2371 viewsVeggie

Leif Davis on 14:27 - Jul 31 by BigCommon

Penalty aside, Davis was ok for me. Recall him showing good pace to get back at his man a few times.. Harness playing on the left AM , in front of Davis, and not really getting going , may also reflect on Davis performance higher up the pitch, yesterday..
Leigh and JJ will get plaudits for their half hour, and rightly so. But lets not forget, the game was stretched when they came on, and Bolton were blowing a bit by then...
Strong opposition yesterday. Both Davis and Harness will have much better games for us, there's no doubt.
Both new to the club, both debuts in front of a huge expectant crowd.
Let's get behind them, if we want to see the best from them, going forwards.
Btw, imo, there were worse errors in the team, yesterday, than the penalty conceded by Davis... Had we sneaked a win, (which we should have done), the penalty gets forgotten about...

Harness didn’t really seem to get going and you make a good point that he was playing on the left hand side. Having seen clips of him at Portsmouth, he was very much played on the right hand side. I hope we haven’t bought a player with the view of not playing him in his best/preferred position again.
Leif Davis on 14:44 - Jul 31 with 2348 viewsjas0999

Considering he had spent very little time with the squad, I thought he did okay yesterday. Gave away the penalty, but overall looked like we have signed a quality player. There is clearly more to come.
Leif Davis on 15:24 - Jul 31 with 2205 viewsSimonds92

Leif Davis on 14:44 - Jul 31 by jas0999

Considering he had spent very little time with the squad, I thought he did okay yesterday. Gave away the penalty, but overall looked like we have signed a quality player. There is clearly more to come.

I wonder what the reaction would have been on here if his name was Jonas Knudsen.
Leif Davis on 15:58 - Jul 31 with 2124 viewsDavoIPB

Leif Davis on 14:44 - Jul 31 by jas0999

Yep. He made a mistake but was actually a really good player. Did a lot that was quality and will be a very good player for us. Our system was all wrong for first 30 mins which allowed Bolton to press and gave them lots of space in midfield. Once we sorted that we looked capable of winning the match.
Leif Davis on 16:45 - Jul 31 with 2028 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Leif Davis on 15:58 - Jul 31 by DavoIPB

Yep. He made a mistake but was actually a really good player. Did a lot that was quality and will be a very good player for us. Our system was all wrong for first 30 mins which allowed Bolton to press and gave them lots of space in midfield. Once we sorted that we looked capable of winning the match.

He got caught the wrong side 3 times, the second time giving away the penalty and on the third occasion being booked for a foul. I thought he had a poor debut but assume he was lacking match fitness and will get better. Greg Leigh had a much better game when he came in. However, I would expect McKenna to play him next week. Hopefully he will go on to prove the debut was the blip.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Leif Davis on 17:59 - Jul 31 with 1923 viewsZippy_is_a_blue

Leif needs to dump the fluorescent boots, no defender should wear them. So easy to see an iffy tackle.
Leif Davis on 18:04 - Jul 31 with 1899 viewsitfcsuth

Had a poor debut, he’ll know that himself, didn’t look anywhere near it really.

£1.5M is a gamble you can’t get wrong at this level, would expect there is a lot better to come from him given the fee paid.
Leif Davis on 21:54 - Jul 31 with 1735 viewsPioneerBlue

I don’t see a change in the next game unless forced.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Leif Davis on 22:13 - Jul 31 with 1678 viewsjayessess

I thought it was probably an error to have our two newest recruits start down the left (and probably sends the wrong message about the importance of pre-season). Neither Davis nor Harness had particularly brilliant games and either might have benefited from linking up with someone with a bit more familiarity with the rest of the team. Maybe we should've started Leigh-Harness, then subbed on Davis-Aluko later on? Although I suppose you've got to start somewhere with building up partnerships.

Speaking of Aluko, Davis wouldn't be the first player to have an indifferent debut and blossom later on.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Leif Davis on 22:19 - Jul 31 with 1660 viewsLeoMuff

Looked average to me, Leigh definitely looked like an upgrade, early days yet though.
John Jules should be getting the nod next game on that showing, and I thought Burns didn’t look his usual self.

Morsy was class and Evans had a good game.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Leif Davis on 09:30 - Aug 1 with 1394 viewsBlueBlood90

He looked more Zeki Fryers than Aaron Cresswell in my opinion! I'm sure he'll get much, much better though so I'm not concerned.

I personally wouldn't have started Davis as Leigh has had a full pre-season using McKenna's way of playing and done very well. It was a lot to throw him in after 3-4 days of training.

I don't think you can drop Davis for FGR though as it would be a confidence knocker.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024