Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? 10:09 - Aug 1 with 2875 viewsDMDC

lm not convinced. As Davis showed Saturday its a lot of money paid for a young kid who is still learning the game and too much pressure on a youngsters shoulders. Hirst would be in the same boat £2 million or whatever the figure is being put about for a youngster that everyone will then expect to get the goals to help fire us up the league. Its way too much to expect. After all he only scored the same amount of goals as Bonne did in the same sort of time scale. He maybe younger but he isnt proven and he could take a season to settle in. Have we got time for that ? Not in Game changers mind,they want success now. So l think we need someone with a bit more experience,who is used to a bit more pressure and with a track record, someone like Jerry Yates, whether that is possible l dont know. Any other names spring to mind ? because we really do need to get this signing right. I think its the most important signing of the summer.
ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 10:20 - Aug 1 with 2272 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

There's so much wrong with this post it's impossible to know where to start.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 10:26 - Aug 1 with 2232 viewsDJR

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 10:20 - Aug 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

I think the post is fair comment.
ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 10:29 - Aug 1 with 2209 viewsStokieBlue

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 10:20 - Aug 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

Check out the previous 4 threads he's started and things might start to become clear.

As for this one, it's all over the place, especially the false equivalence between a player who has played 60 minutes in League One and one that's played an entire season scoring 15 goals in a mediocre Pompey team.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 10:50 - Aug 1 with 2087 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

He played last season in L1, also he's 23, so he's not too young, he should relish this kind of opportunity at that age.

There are younger players in far more high pressure environments.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 10:56 - Aug 1 with 2014 viewsBiGDonnie

He's a budgie troll, ignore him.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:00 - Aug 1 with 1987 viewsDMDC

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 10:56 - Aug 1 by BiGDonnie

He's a budgie troll, ignore him.

You again. With the same lame opinion as always. As l said before, if you have something constructive to say then lm all ears, if not kindly keep your silly comments to yourself.
ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:01 - Aug 1 with 1979 viewsDMDC

Says the man who continually bangs on about Celina as if he was your son.
ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:03 - Aug 1 with 1939 viewsDMDC

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 10:29 - Aug 1 by StokieBlue

Check out the previous 4 threads he's started and things might start to become clear.

As for this one, it's all over the place, especially the false equivalence between a player who has played 60 minutes in League One and one that's played an entire season scoring 15 goals in a mediocre Pompey team.

SB

I can start whatever posts l like on here. Its a forum, thats the idea. Or havent you quite got that bit yet ? I am concerned about where our goals are coming from and lm asking peoples opinions l dont see where you need to wade in with those comments.
Login to get fewer ads

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:05 - Aug 1 with 1924 viewsStokieBlue

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:03 - Aug 1 by DMDC

I can start whatever posts l like on here. Its a forum, thats the idea. Or havent you quite got that bit yet ? I am concerned about where our goals are coming from and lm asking peoples opinions l dont see where you need to wade in with those comments.

Fancy addressing the comment on the false equivalence you constructed?

As for the rest of it, past posting trends are a good indicator of motivation and thus perfectly relevant. If you don't want them referenced then perhaps you shouldn't have such an obvious agenda.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:07 - Aug 1 with 1909 viewsDMDC

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 10:50 - Aug 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

He played last season in L1, also he's 23, so he's not too young, he should relish this kind of opportunity at that age.

There are younger players in far more high pressure environments.

He has, thats true and if he is hungry for success then maybe, but dont you think a £2 million(if thats to be believed) price tag is going to weigh on his shoulders in L1 where that sort of figure is practically unheard of ? Its a big burden to have on your back in front of 25,000 each week.
ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:11 - Aug 1 with 1850 viewsMetal_Hacker

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:07 - Aug 1 by DMDC

He has, thats true and if he is hungry for success then maybe, but dont you think a £2 million(if thats to be believed) price tag is going to weigh on his shoulders in L1 where that sort of figure is practically unheard of ? Its a big burden to have on your back in front of 25,000 each week.

And at the same time you're speculating let's be fair

1) £2m - says who ?
2) The pressure getting to him - says who ?
3)Not scoring adequate number of goals - any chance of the lottery numbers please ?

Poll: If it were one or the other

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:11 - Aug 1 with 1847 viewsDMDC

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:05 - Aug 1 by StokieBlue

As for the rest of it, past posting trends are a good indicator of motivation and thus perfectly relevant. If you don't want them referenced then perhaps you shouldn't have such an obvious agenda.

SB

l have no agenda as you put it. Im concerned as to where the goals are coming from. After Saturday l think thats still a valid point.
ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:12 - Aug 1 with 1833 viewsBiGDonnie

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:00 - Aug 1 by DMDC

You again. With the same lame opinion as always. As l said before, if you have something constructive to say then lm all ears, if not kindly keep your silly comments to yourself.

Hahahaaaaa blub.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:13 - Aug 1 with 1831 viewspennblue

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:05 - Aug 1 by StokieBlue

SB

To be fair to the OP, the past posts have been fairly negative, but there has been a consistent theme, in that there is a concern where our goals will come this season.

I think this is a legitimate concern.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:19 - Aug 1 with 1787 viewsDMDC

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:11 - Aug 1 by Metal_Hacker

1) £2m - says who ?
3)Not scoring adequate number of goals - any chance of the lottery numbers please ?

I am speculating thats true,but if you speculate then you have concerns dont you ?
l did say l wasnt sure on the price, its being put about so everyone is speculating there arnt they ? I was using it as reference, we all know he wont be cheap whatever it is.
He may well take a while to settle. It will be a lot of pressure on him if he is seen as our main striker.
Our goals for was a problem last season, at this time l dont see where it has changed. Watching Saturday it looked exactly the same as the back end of last season.
ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:21 - Aug 1 with 1769 viewsDMDC

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:12 - Aug 1 by BiGDonnie

Hahahaaaaa blub.

You Sir have no class whatsoever. From now on accept you are on ignore.
ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:21 - Aug 1 with 1770 viewsBobbychase

Davis has played one game after joining the club a few days earlier.

I've seen some knee-jerk reactions in my time but...

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:22 - Aug 1 with 1743 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:07 - Aug 1 by DMDC

That's football.

I don't think its too much of a burden personally, I would expect a professional sportsman to be able to deal with it.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:24 - Aug 1 with 1711 viewsMetal_Hacker

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:19 - Aug 1 by DMDC

I am speculating thats true,but if you speculate then you have concerns dont you ?
l did say l wasnt sure on the price, its being put about so everyone is speculating there arnt they ? I was using it as reference, we all know he wont be cheap whatever it is.
He may well take a while to settle. It will be a lot of pressure on him if he is seen as our main striker.
Our goals for was a problem last season, at this time l dont see where it has changed. Watching Saturday it looked exactly the same as the back end of last season.

To a point but at the same time there have been so many people already judging ONE GAME as though this is how it's going to be all season

There will be games like last weekend against a strong defensive unit BUT not all games will be like that and I tend to think we'll rip a few teams a new one this season

Getting worrying and judging in 8-10 games time maybe ?

Poll: If it were one or the other

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:29 - Aug 1 with 1645 viewsDMDC

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:13 - Aug 1 by pennblue

To be fair to the OP, the past posts have been fairly negative, but there has been a consistent theme, in that there is a concern where our goals will come this season.

I think this is a legitimate concern.

I didnt mean to sound negative in previous posts. But it really is a concern of mine.
I was there Saturday(as l have been for the last 45 years,although one poster on this thread loves making stupid comments about me) and,yes, the football is nice but, there still isnt an end product. It was just the same as the back end of last season.All very pretty, but pretty doesnt win you football matches.I just dont think its going to be fair on a kid who will be in a new area,new team mates etc with a big price tag and 25,000 fans expecting him to be the saviour. Its why ld personally go for more experience in that area.
ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:31 - Aug 1 with 1621 viewsBlueBadger

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 10:29 - Aug 1 by StokieBlue

SB

Your yellow tailfeathers are hanging out again.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:33 - Aug 1 with 1578 viewsDMDC

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:22 - Aug 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

That's football.

I don't think its too much of a burden personally, I would expect a professional sportsman to be able to deal with it.

Up to a point l agree. I just think if he comes here, and it is only if at the moment, fans may be expecting 20+ goals from him, ld love to see it happen believe me. I just think people will be expecting too much.
ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:36 - Aug 1 with 1538 viewsGeoffSentence

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:11 - Aug 1 by Metal_Hacker

1) £2m - says who ?

The £2m price tag did come from a reliable news source, I think it was a Portsmouth news outlet.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:36 - Aug 1 with 1533 viewsDMDC

ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:21 - Aug 1 by Bobbychase

Davis has played one game after joining the club a few days earlier.

I've seen some knee-jerk reactions in my time but...

Im not really basing this on Davis performance, he had only just got back in the country at the beginning of the week, l was quite surprised he played actually. What l was trying to refer to, is how big money signings have a lot of weight on their backs. And it takes time to settle.
ls Hirst the answer to our striker problems ? on 11:52 - Aug 1 with 1393 viewsrickw

I think he has a point, price tags do increase expectations and pressure, whether we like it or not.

For example Davis shouldn't have started, Leigh has been good in pre-season and Davis is only just through the door, but Davis's price tag probably contributed to him starting - maybe he was just brilliant in training.

If we get Hirst in for say 1.5m+ we will expect him to score 15+ but it could well take him a while to adapt and there's always some fans who aren't patient and will judge him instantly...

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024