Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player 19:13 - Aug 2 with 5996 viewsKesgrave_Exile

BBC News - Women's football: 'I'm a pro footballer but I have a second job'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-62386612

There was much made about town having full time players but this seems like smoke and mirrors. You can understand why the club has failed to attract any players in the summer. What's the point being a pro but still having to work full time it's counter productive.

I think the club needs to invest more in players contracts which when compared to the men's team would be a modest sum.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2022 19:14]
ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 14:05 - Aug 3 with 762 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 13:52 - Aug 3 by Vaughan8

I'm guessing a big difference on ticket prices too. I'm sure Borehamwood a few years ago when i went was £20+ for an adult.

I'm guessing the ladies is £10?

That would be £16,500 difference per game.

Also think 1000 average attendance is probably a bit low too

The mens clubs lose money hand over first in reality though - if there was a desire to pay the women more it would be done but there isn't (yet).

Teams like Stowmarket pay players silly money with small attendances.

These girls though are just getting something to help now at our level (and to protect value for us as per transfer of Paige Peake a few weeks back - no pro contract, no fee)

If it is £10k a year it helps out a fair bit, but on one year contracts they need to be thinking of post football life as well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 14:10 - Aug 3 with 732 viewsSteve_M

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 12:01 - Aug 3 by ronnyd

Sorry, but there is a world of difference between what you saw on Sunday and ITFC ladies. Which is what the OP is alluding to. Even the top WSL teams play on smaller grounds or in smaller facilities with in the club complex, ie, Man C.

The post I had replied to claimed that England winning on Sunday would be quickly forgotten about.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 14:26 - Aug 3 with 708 viewsEly_Blue

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 13:56 - Aug 3 by Vaughan8

Aren't you taking one games attendance though? What is the attendance on a regular basis at the clubs. They aren't paid (much) by England.

Ipswich get 20,000+ each game at £25 a ticket.

The women's games probably get 5,000 at lower prices?

Unfortunately money talks at there is loads more money in men's football currently.

As I said is the disparity really that big between a journeyman playing in league one and a woman playing at the top of her profession? Surely not that much difference?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 14:28 - Aug 3 with 709 viewsbrazil1982

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 21:26 - Aug 2 by EastTownBlue

The Town players will be earning more from the game than players from other teams in the third tier of the women's game. Does this make them any different from non league players who earn money in football and also require a full time job ?

How much should they all be paid to ensure that they don't require a job outside the game ? Pus there is careers after they have retired to consider.

Many National League players have second jobs. Because they play for clubs whose main income is through tickets. Many clubs at that level are either very well run, or in financial trouble.

Start charging £20 on the gate and the wages will increase.

This news is fashionable atm, engineered by the BBC.
ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 14:50 - Aug 3 with 678 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 14:28 - Aug 3 by brazil1982

Many National League players have second jobs. Because they play for clubs whose main income is through tickets. Many clubs at that level are either very well run, or in financial trouble.

Start charging £20 on the gate and the wages will increase.

This news is fashionable atm, engineered by the BBC.

21 out of 24 NL clubs this season are fully professional, these aren't guys with 2nd jobs these days

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 15:22 - Aug 3 with 643 viewsBluefields

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 21:22 - Aug 2 by JammyDodgerrr

Quite. Leah Williamson is the highest earner, on 200k a year. Same as Harry Kane earns in a week. Crazy difference.

That surprises me. Not Sam Kerr?? Lucy Bronze must earn the most when you take in to account earnings outside of playing.
ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 15:50 - Aug 3 with 614 viewsbrazil1982

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 14:50 - Aug 3 by itfcjoe

21 out of 24 NL clubs this season are fully professional, these aren't guys with 2nd jobs these days

At least five at FC Halifax have other jobs, probably by choice though for picking up when they finish their football career. They dont earn a lot in that league
ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 17:45 - Aug 3 with 555 viewsmaccyd9

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 19:28 - Aug 2 by Kesgrave_Exile

What and the women's team can't repay that? Obviously you have been living under a rock for the last month, there is going to be so much more focus on women's football going forward and if Ipswich women's team want to progress we need to give the players the best opportunity to do so by paying them a wage that then stops the need for them to supplement it.

In a couple of weeks nobody will be any more interested in the women’s game than they were before the women’s euros.

It’s just another crusade for people to go on.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the women’s game just plodding along in the background. Not everything in this world needs to be equal, especially when the disparity in quality, entertainment and revenue is so vast.
Login to get fewer ads

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 18:49 - Aug 3 with 528 viewsSkip_Intro

Whether you like it or not, Gamechanger have invested in the men's team and infrastructure because they've taken the view that if the investment pays off and we are promoted (and sell a few players for tidy profits) they will see a return.
Rightly or wrongly you can't say that the women's team offers the same potential return so why would they invest heavily other than for community/PR purposes?
I'm not saying that it's right but it's just a fact of life when your club is an asset to be grown by investors surely?
ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 18:54 - Aug 3 with 524 viewsSkip_Intro

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 13:52 - Aug 3 by Ely_Blue

Take a look at the disparity in another way then!

The highest paid WSL player who has just captained her country to the European Championship victory in front of 87k at Wembley earns less per year than most of our squad! Just take that in for a moment, based on last season we were the 55th best mens team in the country.

Now fair enough the woman’s game isn’t at the level that the mens game is just yet but there isn’t 52 times the difference between our mens and womens national captains!

How much do Sky, BT, Amazon etc pay for men's TV rights? How much are the TV rights for the WSL?
What are the average gates in the PL (or even Portman Road) vs the WSL?
How much merchandise do the women's teams sell vs the men?
These are the big factors that drive wages surely - so is there really a disparity or are they simply not comparable from a financial perspective?

edit:typo
[Post edited 3 Aug 2022 18:56]
ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 18:59 - Aug 3 with 520 viewsjeera

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 17:45 - Aug 3 by maccyd9

In a couple of weeks nobody will be any more interested in the women’s game than they were before the women’s euros.

It’s just another crusade for people to go on.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the women’s game just plodding along in the background. Not everything in this world needs to be equal, especially when the disparity in quality, entertainment and revenue is so vast.

On the contrary there's already a number on here who show an interest in the Ipswich ladies games.

"It’s just another crusade for people to go on."

Seriously? Most 'crusades' have grown because of a need for them and there's no reason for anyone to feel threatened by the game becoming more popular for women too.

"Not everything in this world needs to be equal".

That's a rather backward view. Sure, any sport's financial rewards will be reflected by its popularity but the rest of your post makes for uncomfortable reading tbh.

I'm hoping for clumsily worded rather than plain sexist.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 19:38 - Aug 3 with 491 viewsVaughan8

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 18:59 - Aug 3 by jeera

On the contrary there's already a number on here who show an interest in the Ipswich ladies games.

"It’s just another crusade for people to go on."

Seriously? Most 'crusades' have grown because of a need for them and there's no reason for anyone to feel threatened by the game becoming more popular for women too.

"Not everything in this world needs to be equal".

That's a rather backward view. Sure, any sport's financial rewards will be reflected by its popularity but the rest of your post makes for uncomfortable reading tbh.

I'm hoping for clumsily worded rather than plain sexist.

It'll be interesting to see the women's attendances this season

Very easy to say on here you're looking to go, but actually doing it is another thing.
ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 20:25 - Aug 3 with 472 viewsVeggie

ITFC Natasha Thomas on having to work full time even though she is pro player on 13:52 - Aug 3 by Vaughan8

I'm guessing a big difference on ticket prices too. I'm sure Borehamwood a few years ago when i went was £20+ for an adult.

I'm guessing the ladies is £10?

That would be £16,500 difference per game.

Also think 1000 average attendance is probably a bit low too

Slightly off topic, but Accrington Stanley only average around 3,000. No wonder Holt is always whingeing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024