Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pelosi 20:49 - Aug 2 with 1660 viewsSouthBucksBlue

What on earth is this Taiwan visit all about?
She’s a Democrat yet Biden couldn’t dissuade her?
I would have thought that the last thing that the US want a to do right now is to provoke the Chinese.
Putin will capitalise on this for sure.
She’s 82 and another example why politicians should not be able to continue in powerful and influencing positions after a certain age.
Pelosi on 20:53 - Aug 2 with 1619 viewsBobsthename

Too true it’s not the right time to test any country especially the Chinese her and Biden i think are not really in their right mind to think this is ok.
Pelosi on 20:54 - Aug 2 with 1626 viewsSteve_M

Why should politicians not be able to visit countries that invite them?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Pelosi on 20:59 - Aug 2 with 1578 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

For domestic consumption.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Pelosi on 22:23 - Aug 2 with 1448 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Pelosi on 20:59 - Aug 2 by BanksterDebtSlave

For domestic consumption.

Please explain.
Pelosi on 22:26 - Aug 2 with 1440 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Pelosi on 20:54 - Aug 2 by Steve_M

Why should politicians not be able to visit countries that invite them?

In this case isn’t that rather obvious?
Pelosi on 22:30 - Aug 2 with 1426 viewsMookamoo

The Democrats are about to lose the House and the Senate in the midterms. It's just a last ditch effort to show they should be ones to navigate the troubled waters ahead. Despite being a major factor in said troubling of waters.
Pelosi on 22:31 - Aug 2 with 1419 viewsjeera

Pelosi on 22:26 - Aug 2 by SouthBucksBlue

In this case isn’t that rather obvious?

Not really buddy.

The US has rightly already said it intends to stand by Taiwan so it's good to see that stance reinforced.

We [the West] cannot keep cowering away every time in fright that some imaginary balance might become tilted in some way. Either China wants to maintain its commercial dominance that it's worked so hard to achieve or it wants to risk everything and isolation from the world the same way Russia has. Overall China has more to lose surely.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Pelosi on 22:39 - Aug 2 with 1391 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Pelosi on 22:23 - Aug 2 by SouthBucksBlue

Please explain.

Being 'strong' on China worked for Trump so the Democrats are trying to appeal to the same mind set before the mid term elections. Posturing.

Login to get fewer ads

Pelosi on 22:44 - Aug 2 with 1379 viewsjeera

Pelosi on 22:39 - Aug 2 by BanksterDebtSlave

Being 'strong' on China worked for Trump so the Democrats are trying to appeal to the same mind set before the mid term elections. Posturing.

I prefer my version but yours, cynical though it is, is most likely closer to the correct one.

Not much in the way of selflessness in that there world of politicking is there.

Pelosi on 22:45 - Aug 2 with 1379 viewsChurchman

Pelosi on 22:31 - Aug 2 by jeera

Not really buddy.

The US has rightly already said it intends to stand by Taiwan so it's good to see that stance reinforced.

We [the West] cannot keep cowering away every time in fright that some imaginary balance might become tilted in some way. Either China wants to maintain its commercial dominance that it's worked so hard to achieve or it wants to risk everything and isolation from the world the same way Russia has. Overall China has more to lose surely.

Spot on Jeera. China has actually everything to lose. As it goes, I think the Ukraine war will switch China off taking Taiwan for the moment. Just a view without evidence tbh.

It’s economic growth depends on western markets at the moment. Close those and it has a big problem. I suspect that’s why it’s trodden a passive line on Putin’s war so far.
Pelosi on 22:47 - Aug 2 with 1370 viewsjeera

Pelosi on 22:45 - Aug 2 by Churchman

Spot on Jeera. China has actually everything to lose. As it goes, I think the Ukraine war will switch China off taking Taiwan for the moment. Just a view without evidence tbh.

It’s economic growth depends on western markets at the moment. Close those and it has a big problem. I suspect that’s why it’s trodden a passive line on Putin’s war so far.

I do believe that's the case; well, we know it is.

But also Bankster has a point when he says there's an element of point-scoring involved too.

Not mutually exclusive and all that I guess.

What a world.

Pelosi on 22:49 - Aug 2 with 1358 viewsStokieBlue

Why can't she visit a country if she wants to?

It's ridiculous from China and shows an underlying insecurity given Biden has assured them the US position on Taiwan isn't changing.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Pelosi on 23:49 - Aug 2 with 1286 viewsJDB23

Pelosi on 22:45 - Aug 2 by Churchman

Does it depend on Western markets? I'm no expert on this so genuinely curious, but looks to me like China is becoming less reliant on the export of goods and services.

We're in a cost of living crisis partly due to the isolation of Russia, what then happens to us if we lose access to these cheap goods?
Pelosi on 23:59 - Aug 2 with 1268 viewsjeera

Pelosi on 23:49 - Aug 2 by JDB23

Does it depend on Western markets? I'm no expert on this so genuinely curious, but looks to me like China is becoming less reliant on the export of goods and services.

We're in a cost of living crisis partly due to the isolation of Russia, what then happens to us if we lose access to these cheap goods?

We're in this situation because of our continued reliance.

The sooner we and other nations do more to change that the better.

Although it could of course rightly be argued that it is trade that brings and keeps peace.

You say they're less reliant on international trade but that's only because of the money that has brought. A nation that size needs to keep that momentum or go backwards.

The ball is very much in China's court here but I would like to think they wouldn't want to blow it.

Pelosi on 07:51 - Aug 3 with 1023 viewsChurchman

Pelosi on 22:47 - Aug 2 by jeera

I do believe that's the case; well, we know it is.

But also Bankster has a point when he says there's an element of point-scoring involved too.

Not mutually exclusive and all that I guess.

What a world.

Indeed, what a world.

If you take China’s trade balance with the US it tells its own story. In 2020 the US imported approx £450bn of Chinese goods. It exported to China about £150bn. It’s that sort of ratio anyway and that pattern repeats across the western world. China needs these markets.

The reality though is that developed countries like the U.K./US/EU need to develop more resilience to world economic turbulence. A situation where an economically small country like Russia can blackmail others over energy etc cannot continue. Same with China if they go down that road.
Pelosi on 08:06 - Aug 3 with 993 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Pelosi on 07:51 - Aug 3 by Churchman

Indeed, what a world.

If you take China’s trade balance with the US it tells its own story. In 2020 the US imported approx £450bn of Chinese goods. It exported to China about £150bn. It’s that sort of ratio anyway and that pattern repeats across the western world. China needs these markets.

The reality though is that developed countries like the U.K./US/EU need to develop more resilience to world economic turbulence. A situation where an economically small country like Russia can blackmail others over energy etc cannot continue. Same with China if they go down that road.

And we all know that a little nationalism based distraction is always on the agenda when things start to go tits up at home....
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-31/china-banks-may-face-350-bill

Pelosi on 08:08 - Aug 3 with 980 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Pelosi on 23:49 - Aug 2 by JDB23

Is the answer that the planet breathes a huge sigh of relief?

Pelosi on 08:38 - Aug 3 with 926 viewsJDB23

Pelosi on 08:08 - Aug 3 by BanksterDebtSlave

Is the answer that the planet breathes a huge sigh of relief?

No doubt, but if we think inflation is bad now then I can only imagine how much worse it will be in that scenario. And again, it will be the poorest who are hit hardest.
Pelosi on 12:28 - Aug 3 with 785 viewsTractorWood

Pelosi on 07:51 - Aug 3 by Churchman

Indeed, what a world.

Global economics rely on cheap Chinese imports. Without it the world would crumble reasonably quickly. China do rely on vice versa but taking their zero Covid approach as an example. It would appear once Xi has made his mind up, everyone has to live with it.

The Taiwan dilemma has been brewing for years, particularly as China effectively quashed the one country two systems status quo in Hong Kong with virtually zero resistance.

China rarely forays outside of domestic policy. It sees Taiwan as domestic policy whereas everyone else sees it as at least an enormous great area.

Global conflicts from large, beligeirent autocracies feels like the order of the next decade.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024