Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Archie Battersbee case 13:24 - Aug 3 with 2391 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

As horrible as it is, the doctors say he can't be saved/there's no chance of recovery, and you have to feel they know more or what they're talking about than the family, who say they "believe" he can get better.

A previous High Court ruling heard "every bodily function is now maintained by artificial means", while another heard he had not "regained awareness at any time".

It's hard to take emotion out of it - and obviously I can't possibly put myself in their position - but there comes a point where you have to accept the experts, surely?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

This Archie Battersbee case on 13:28 - Aug 3 with 1955 viewsSTYG

It's impossible to determine.

Heart-breaking.

Everybody outside such a case like that can probably conclude that the suffering is being prolonged to all concerns and, ultimately, that the doctors are right.

However, if that was your loved one how could you ever accept there wasn't even the tiniest chance they'd be wrong. There's always a medical miracle precedent somewhere, even if it's 1 in a billion and none of us could probably ever say, in that situation, we'd listen to logic or facts or anything other than desperately clinging onto a miracle that sadly won't happen.

Just incredibly sad.
This Archie Battersbee case on 13:37 - Aug 3 with 1921 viewsEly_Blue

There also comes a point when as well as accepting the medical prognosis that the efforts of the family and their energies would be better spent on making people aware of the dangers of how this tragic accident occurred and preventing others from doing the same

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

This Archie Battersbee case on 13:39 - Aug 3 with 1912 viewsJ2BLUE

Accept your son dying or keep hoping for that one in a million chance he starts to get better.

It's an awful situation. I think most people would fight the decision. Not sure logic and rational thinking come into it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This Archie Battersbee case on 13:42 - Aug 3 with 1892 viewsEly_Blue

This Archie Battersbee case on 13:39 - Aug 3 by J2BLUE

Accept your son dying or keep hoping for that one in a million chance he starts to get better.

It's an awful situation. I think most people would fight the decision. Not sure logic and rational thinking come into it.

You think it’s anywhere near as high as 1 in a million?

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:00 - Aug 3 with 1821 viewsSTYG

This Archie Battersbee case on 13:42 - Aug 3 by Ely_Blue

Doesn't matter though does it. People win the Euromillions with a one in whatever chance.

The other day someone suffered the worst UK shark attack in 150 years. How many billions of people have been in that water since the 1870's and not suffered a shark attack?

Regardless of how microscopic the chances are, it's an incredibly impossible thing to expect to be able to do, to effectively agree to end a loved ones life and surely we can all understand how logic and rationale simply wouldn't come into it.
This Archie Battersbee case on 14:01 - Aug 3 with 1821 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Most people don't fight the decision though. Most people accept it and the life support machine is turned off. The fact that this family is refusing to accept the decision is the reason it's in the news. There were several people who had their life support turned off during the pandemic.

I do feel for them... but it's also pretty horrible for the hospital and medical staff being attacked over the decision when they are just doing their job. The mother has accused them of wanting to execute him. I understand her emotions are high, and as I've said in my OP I can't possibly imagine being in that situation, but language like that against caregivers isn't helpful.

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:01 - Aug 3 with 1812 viewsJ2BLUE

Probably not. The odds are meaningless though. It's the hope that there's a one that is the important bit.

Truly impaired.

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:03 - Aug 3 with 1820 viewsBlueBadger

Sadly, nobody 'wins' in these very sad cases. Especially when the reporting around them is usually highly charged and sensationalist in its nature. I've looked after a few brainstem dead adults in the past, and it's one of the toughest jobs, emotionally, there is in healthcare.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:03 - Aug 3 with 1801 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:01 - Aug 3 by J2BLUE

Probably not. The odds are meaningless though. It's the hope that there's a one that is the important bit.

The doctors have said there's no chance. Zero.

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:07 - Aug 3 with 1795 viewsBlueBadger

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:00 - Aug 3 by STYG

Doesn't matter though does it. People win the Euromillions with a one in whatever chance.

The other day someone suffered the worst UK shark attack in 150 years. How many billions of people have been in that water since the 1870's and not suffered a shark attack?

Regardless of how microscopic the chances are, it's an incredibly impossible thing to expect to be able to do, to effectively agree to end a loved ones life and surely we can all understand how logic and rationale simply wouldn't come into it.

Ultimately, ITU support is a medical treatment and ig will be withdrawn if it is not in the patient interest. Family wishes will often inform the decision but it is NOT, Ultimately, the family's decision it is a MEDICAL one. Often taken by more than one consultant. Rare cases like this arise when there is disagreement between parties and its essentially protection for all those involved.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2022 14:10]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:07 - Aug 3 with 1778 viewsJ2BLUE

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:03 - Aug 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

The doctors have said there's no chance. Zero.

Yes and we can accept that because he's not our family.

Truly impaired.

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:20 - Aug 3 with 1733 viewsBlueBadger

Almost certainly higher. A consultant colleague of mine has been following this closely and informs me that public documents pertaining to scan reports are showing ongoing worsening of all functions. Ultimately, no matter how good the cardiorespiratory functions prior to injury, nobody survives a catastrophic brain injury like this.

Edit for clarity
[Post edited 3 Aug 2022 18:38]

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:21 - Aug 3 with 1699 viewsJ2BLUE

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:20 - Aug 3 by BlueBadger

Almost certainly higher. A consultant colleague of mine has been following this closely and informs me that public documents pertaining to scan reports are showing ongoing worsening of all functions. Ultimately, no matter how good the cardiorespiratory functions prior to injury, nobody survives a catastrophic brain injury like this.

Edit for clarity

I think he meant anywhere near as likely rather than the odds should be shorter.

Truly impaired.

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:24 - Aug 3 with 1684 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:20 - Aug 3 by BlueBadger

Edit for clarity

I think you've misunderstood Ely's point. Or I have!
I thought he was saying 1 in a million is quite a bit better than the probability, which will be much worse than 1 in a million.

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:24 - Aug 3 with 1681 viewsEly_Blue

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:21 - Aug 3 by J2BLUE

I think he meant anywhere near as likely rather than the odds should be shorter.

Yes that was what I meant, my argument was that it would be closer to 1 in a billion for example

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:28 - Aug 3 with 1667 viewsBlueBadger

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:24 - Aug 3 by Ely_Blue

Yes that was what I meant, my argument was that it would be closer to 1 in a billion for example

Yeah, my bad, I've omitted a few words there thatbI shouldn't have. Edited.

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:45 - Aug 3 with 1618 viewsZx1988

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:03 - Aug 3 by BlueBadger

Sadly, nobody 'wins' in these very sad cases. Especially when the reporting around them is usually highly charged and sensationalist in its nature. I've looked after a few brainstem dead adults in the past, and it's one of the toughest jobs, emotionally, there is in healthcare.

The only people winning here are the lawyers.

I don't know what to make of the facts of the matter, but I do wonder just how much all of these various appeals have cost in legal fees, and whether those advising the family to take the matter a step further each time are truly acting in the best interests of the family.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:55 - Aug 3 with 1585 viewsfactual_blue

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:45 - Aug 3 by Zx1988

I don't know what to make of the facts of the matter, but I do wonder just how much all of these various appeals have cost in legal fees, and whether those advising the family to take the matter a step further each time are truly acting in the best interests of the family.

Have a read about the Christian Legal Centre, who are the pro bono lawyers in this case.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This Archie Battersbee case on 15:02 - Aug 3 with 1563 viewsBlueBadger

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:45 - Aug 3 by Zx1988

Don't worry, they're not.

This Archie Battersbee case on 15:07 - Aug 3 with 1544 viewsbluelagos

Find myself in agreement with pretty much every comment made on the thread.

An incredibly sad case and one I can't hope to fully appreciate given I've never been in the position.

Hopefully it is resolved soon and the family can properly grieve for their loss.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

This Archie Battersbee case on 16:33 - Aug 3 with 1314 viewsZx1988

This Archie Battersbee case on 14:55 - Aug 3 by factual_blue

Have a read about the Christian Legal Centre, who are the pro bono lawyers in this case.

Thanks Facters - I hadn't realised that the lawyers were working for free.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

This Archie Battersbee case on 17:07 - Aug 3 with 1250 viewsBlueBadger

At the risk of sounding cold, he's not dying, he's dead. In brainstem death, everything that makes you you is gone. All that's happening now is that the poor lads corpse is being kept artificially going.

This Archie Battersbee case on 17:13 - Aug 3 with 1223 viewsLeoMuff

It is awful, and if it were my child I might well be doing the same, However it is not it his best interest or dignity to be cared for like this, requiring a cocktail of medications to tolerate a tube into his trachea to enable a machine to ventilate his lungs.

ITU beds and staff are highly precious and although awful to think children or adults may die if that one bed is not available.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

This Archie Battersbee case on 17:14 - Aug 3 with 1221 viewsjeera

This Archie Battersbee case on 17:07 - Aug 3 by BlueBadger

At the risk of sounding cold, he's not dying, he's dead. In brainstem death, everything that makes you you is gone. All that's happening now is that the poor lads corpse is being kept artificially going.

Quite.

Awful and still completely understandable the parents can't accept it.

Their heads must be spinning constantly and the recent past must be torturous.

Dunno what else to add really except that people need to be a understanding and patient no matter how irrational they may seem.

*not aimed at you or anyone in particular, more the world in general.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This Archie Battersbee case on 17:48 - Aug 3 with 1127 viewsfactual_blue

This Archie Battersbee case on 16:33 - Aug 3 by Zx1988

Thanks Facters - I hadn't realised that the lawyers were working for free.

The CLC's evangelical Christian standpoint is somewhere around the deluded mark.

More about them here

https://nearlylegal.co.uk/2018/04/on-the-naughty-step-the-questionable-ethics-of

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024