Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Nations Lawns. 13:29 - Aug 3 with 2087 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

My lawn mower thinks it’s been made redundant. It’s now nearly 6 weeks since I earned anything from grass cutting, although still very busy with other gardening tasks. Commercial mowers are expensive, need regular maintenance and can be fairly thirsty beasts.
Seriously considering cutting out the mowing jobs next year and focusing on a more selective gardening strategy. This very dry spell is nothing new and is becoming much more frequent which is making planning jobs rather tricky.
Is it time to for alternatives to lawns.
Thoughts fellow gardeners.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

The Nations Lawns. on 13:35 - Aug 3 with 1602 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Over on my master's estate my grass cutting duties have been replaced by irrigation of the trees planted over the last few years.
I was just thinking yesterday how the many 'man with ride on mower' operators must be royally screwed.
Hedge cutting is particularly sweaty this year.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The Nations Lawns. on 13:41 - Aug 3 with 1584 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

The Nations Lawns. on 13:35 - Aug 3 by BanksterDebtSlave

Over on my master's estate my grass cutting duties have been replaced by irrigation of the trees planted over the last few years.
I was just thinking yesterday how the many 'man with ride on mower' operators must be royally screwed.

Agreed. Right Guard is pretty useless in the hedge cutting world.
Some native hedges round this way are looking very sorry for themselves at the moment.
There’s going to be a fair bit of dying off which will be apparent next spring I feel.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

The Nations Lawns. on 14:23 - Aug 3 with 1518 viewsIllinoisblue

My son has been mowing lawns around our neighborhood to earn some extra cash. He now has an appreciation of what hard work is. Especially when it’s 90 degrees and humid out.

Side note; given the extreme heat/dry are more people in the UK switching to fake grass/AstroTurf instead of real lawns?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Nations Lawns. on 14:26 - Aug 3 with 1502 viewsArnoldMoorhen

The Nations Lawns. on 14:23 - Aug 3 by Illinoisblue

My son has been mowing lawns around our neighborhood to earn some extra cash. He now has an appreciation of what hard work is. Especially when it’s 90 degrees and humid out.

Side note; given the extreme heat/dry are more people in the UK switching to fake grass/AstroTurf instead of real lawns?

Astro Turf is very bad news environmentally, so I hope not.

https://www.jackwallington.com/17-reasons-to-avoid-fake-lawns-how-bad-is-artific
The Nations Lawns. on 14:29 - Aug 3 with 1480 viewsArnoldMoorhen

The Nations Lawns. on 14:26 - Aug 3 by ArnoldMoorhen

https://www.jackwallington.com/17-reasons-to-avoid-fake-lawns-how-bad-is-artific

And here is a good alternative:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/lawn-care/lawn-substitutes/chamomile-lawn/growi

Going to put that on our relatively small front lawn as an experiment- we have a patch growing in a nearby bed and it has spread like wildfire and is looking significantly greener than the grass on the lawn.
The Nations Lawns. on 14:29 - Aug 3 with 1474 viewsbrazil1982

Also keeping the lawns long to assist wildlife.
The Nations Lawns. on 14:30 - Aug 3 with 1476 viewsCotty

Moreover it gets feckin' hot in the sun, a danger to kiddies and animals. Astro turf, apart from for sports purposes, is an abomination.
The Nations Lawns. on 14:32 - Aug 3 with 1469 viewsArnoldMoorhen

The Nations Lawns. on 14:30 - Aug 3 by Cotty

Moreover it gets feckin' hot in the sun, a danger to kiddies and animals. Astro turf, apart from for sports purposes, is an abomination.

Yes, I saw a thermometer reading on Twitter recently that somebody had taken from their artificial lawn. It was blisteringly hot, and was accompanied by a burnt feet/paws warning.
Login to get fewer ads

The Nations Lawns. on 14:38 - Aug 3 with 1444 viewsIllinoisblue

The petrol and/or electric used to power mowers and not to mention the tonnes of chemicals sprayed and poured to kill weeds and keep real lawns looking green is not great for the environment either.

62 - 78 - 81

The Nations Lawns. on 14:43 - Aug 3 with 1423 viewsjeera

Plus it clogs up the mower.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The Nations Lawns. on 15:13 - Aug 3 with 1363 viewsCotty

The Nations Lawns. on 14:38 - Aug 3 by Illinoisblue

The petrol and/or electric used to power mowers and not to mention the tonnes of chemicals sprayed and poured to kill weeds and keep real lawns looking green is not great for the environment either.

Yeah but you don't have to do that either. Nothing wrong with some daisies and clover in your lawn. Or even the odd dandelion.

Edit: And of course if you get your electric from a green supplier, that's not too much of an issue either.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2022 15:13]
Fake Grass is the devils work and should be banned (n/t) on 15:42 - Aug 3 with 1317 viewsunstableblue

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

The Nations Lawns. on 15:56 - Aug 3 with 1273 viewsJ2BLUE

I was talked out of artificial grass by TWTD a year or so ago.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Nations Lawns. on 16:22 - Aug 3 with 1211 viewshomer_123

The Nations Lawns. on 15:56 - Aug 3 by J2BLUE

You are sooooo easily led J2 ;)

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The Nations Lawns. on 16:24 - Aug 3 with 1196 viewsIllinoisblue

The Nations Lawns. on 15:56 - Aug 3 by J2BLUE

Sucker. Has anyone else made significant life decisions based on the opinions of the board?

62 - 78 - 81

The Nations Lawns. on 16:35 - Aug 3 with 1177 viewshoppy

The Nations Lawns. on 16:24 - Aug 3 by Illinoisblue

Sucker. Has anyone else made significant life decisions based on the opinions of the board?

KJ and I have been together almost 12 years... someone once said on here that I was an ok bloke... does that count?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

The Nations Lawns. on 16:44 - Aug 3 with 1134 viewsOldsmoker

Actually yes.
If I hadn't taken the boards advice, I would have become a Bitcoin millionaire.
My email inbox would be full of hate mail, I would be stalked by lowlifes and I would have been burgled and threatened with having my extremities cut off.

I dodged a bullet there.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The Nations Lawns. on 17:08 - Aug 3 with 1077 viewsjeera

Not sure.

I'll do a poll and get back to you.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The Nations Lawns. on 18:09 - Aug 3 with 994 viewsfactual_blue

Yes. I ignored their opinion and kept killing.

(Recycled joke from the late Sean Lock).

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The Nations Lawns. on 19:01 - Aug 3 with 938 viewsIllinoisblue

The Nations Lawns. on 15:13 - Aug 3 by Cotty

Yeah but you don't have to do that either. Nothing wrong with some daisies and clover in your lawn. Or even the odd dandelion.

Edit: And of course if you get your electric from a green supplier, that's not too much of an issue either.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2022 15:13]

True true but here in suburbia unkempt lawns would be frowned upon by Karens

62 - 78 - 81

The Nations Lawns. on 19:17 - Aug 3 with 923 viewsDubtractor

I can guarantee you this - if you decide to trade in your mower, next Summer will be damp and cool and a bonanza for lawn mowers!

This Summer has been pretty extreme though hasn't it? I heard earlier that January to June saw the least rain (in Suffolk) since 1976, and July has been the driest on record.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The Nations Lawns. on 19:26 - Aug 3 with 913 viewsStokieBlue

Not going to be many lawns to mow when the hosepipe bans kick in next week.

London had only 7% the average July rainfall last month.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Nations Lawns. on 19:52 - Aug 3 with 862 viewsLord_Lucan

The Nations Lawns. on 13:35 - Aug 3 by BanksterDebtSlave

Re your last sentence - I would say hedge cutting is pretty non existent this year.

Fear not - Thomas the plumber is going to do it for me.

Stand down.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The Nations Lawns. on 19:55 - Aug 3 with 851 viewsGeoffSentence

The Nations Lawns. on 19:01 - Aug 3 by Illinoisblue

True true but here in suburbia unkempt lawns would be frowned upon by Karens

Yeah, but they mad over there

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The Nations Lawns. on 20:30 - Aug 3 with 791 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The Nations Lawns. on 19:52 - Aug 3 by Lord_Lucan

Re your last sentence - I would say hedge cutting is pretty non existent this year.

Fear not - Thomas the plumber is going to do it for me.

Stand down.

That's twice you told me that now. The same number of times you sponsored me!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024