Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How do you see things at town. 21:05 - Aug 3 with 3330 viewsFrimleyBlue

So the way I hope this thread goes is a contribution and discussion on why certain opinions can be overcome with a different view point and maybe change certain perceptions of certain situations.

So my personal view is all through the summer I felt we recruited ok. I did share a view that I felt especially in the final third last year that we could see a fair bit of change amongst potential crowd favourites.

I like Ladapo and felt he was a strong potential target and we've got him. Other than that I didn't really know personally who I'd expect to see in the door.

I don't feel comfortable that we've recruited better than what we actually did last season and don't feel we are actually any stronger than we were last season. Is this just me or do others feel similar.

I see alot of great individual talents. But I still don't see a promotion challenging team, just one that will certainly hold its own but ultimately lack that cutting edge to win enough fixtures.

Fully aware the window isn't closed... but I can't see KM breaking up much more of the current side, and that for me begs the question of how good can these individuals be as a team.

Now no this isn't a thread based from Saturdays draw. End of day a draw is better than a loss and its at least not a loss to a side most likely up the top end come end of season.

How does everyone feel about the squad and its potential.

I see alot of wishes for a striker.. but say we spent £2 mill on hirst.. would that really be that difference or are we still a few players away?

What does everyone think

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

How do you see things at town. on 08:31 - Aug 4 with 803 viewsRobTheMonk

Off the field stuff is fantastic at the moment. It's like they actually care how the club is perceived.

On the pitch we're very much a work in progress which is to be expected. KM inherited what was basically a bit of a mess on the field and has now had a proper pre-season to get his ideas across, get rid of players he doesn't fancy and bring in ones he does. I always say you need to wait until the end of October for a half decent indication of how things have progressed and what direction we're going.

If we're not in top 6 by that time then I'll start asking more questions.
How do you see things at town. on 08:35 - Aug 4 with 801 viewsSheffordBlue

How do you see things at town. on 08:29 - Aug 4 by Guthrum

As Nthsuffolkblue says, it was the draws which cost us, not really the losses.

The question I would raise is how much of that was down to quality and how much to form (of our strikers, plus the inopportune injury to Jackson) and tactics. Regarding the latter - and we must remember that McKenna is still learning his trade as a tactician - Town struggled to break through packed defences and too often seemed to recycle wide for that perfect cross-and-shot/header, rather than simply having a go (despite the success achieved by Burns and others when we did). Set pieces were also a massive problem, something it looks like we may have cracked, with goals in preseason and against Bolton. That will make a big difference.

I think your last point about the recycling has been worked on in preseason - the games I watched there were more speculative efforts (2 of which led to goals) from around the edge of the area than there would have been. Morsy and Aluko in particular seemed to be willing to have a go. In the Bolton game shortly after Aluko came on he had a go that he didn't connect with particularly well but wasn't far away.

Hopefully preseason has allowed McKenna to work on the decision making of when to recycle and when to have a go.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

How do you see things at town. on 08:44 - Aug 4 with 782 viewsChrisd

How do you see things at town. on 08:29 - Aug 4 by Guthrum

As Nthsuffolkblue says, it was the draws which cost us, not really the losses.

The question I would raise is how much of that was down to quality and how much to form (of our strikers, plus the inopportune injury to Jackson) and tactics. Regarding the latter - and we must remember that McKenna is still learning his trade as a tactician - Town struggled to break through packed defences and too often seemed to recycle wide for that perfect cross-and-shot/header, rather than simply having a go (despite the success achieved by Burns and others when we did). Set pieces were also a massive problem, something it looks like we may have cracked, with goals in preseason and against Bolton. That will make a big difference.

The draws did play a huge part. Even when we were on that great run under KM last season, we were still drawing too many games. 1pt isn't going to make serious inroads into those sides above us and ultimately that proved the case.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

How do you see things at town. on 09:12 - Aug 4 with 739 viewsStewart27

How do you see things at town. on 21:15 - Aug 3 by FrimleyBlue

Oh no no not numbers that would be mad.

I don't really know. I just don't have this feeling that we've improved the squad yet.

We've kinda replaced people.. but improved it as a unit? I just don't feel it.

Most of our recruitment from last season is still here. Certainly our best recruitment anyway.

Therefore, we just needed a little tweak here and there. If we thought the recruitment was good last year then this is the season to shine.

So yeah, I’m more than comfortable with the squad. If Hirst is coming then it’s going to the wire and the next few weeks will determine whether we need him.

So I’m in for the ride pre transfer deadline.
How do you see things at town. on 09:34 - Aug 4 with 702 viewsBLUEGOLD

How do you see things at town. on 09:12 - Aug 4 by Stewart27

Most of our recruitment from last season is still here. Certainly our best recruitment anyway.

Therefore, we just needed a little tweak here and there. If we thought the recruitment was good last year then this is the season to shine.

So yeah, I’m more than comfortable with the squad. If Hirst is coming then it’s going to the wire and the next few weeks will determine whether we need him.

So I’m in for the ride pre transfer deadline.

I think that with the bulk of the team carrying on from last year, keeper, all 3 centre backs, one wing back, one central midfielder and at least one of the front 3 it is tweaking that was needed which has happened.

The left side is much stronger, the addition of Ball helps the middle 2 and the forward additions help the front 3 plus helps with the 5 subs rule.

Morsy should have scored on Saturday in which case we’d be delighted with a deserved win. That type of run shows me that he will get more goals than he did last year as well.

It’s all positive to me with the likely additions of a couple more forward players.

Let’s hope for an win in Saturday and then we will be on track again for 2 points a game
How do you see things at town. on 09:54 - Aug 4 with 694 viewsMoggasknockdown

I think that we are very controlled and methodical as a team, and as a result will be a tough nut to crack for a lot of teams, but the tradeoff is the lack of clinical attacking (I guess a little like England under Southgate). I don't think we truely open teams up and create really big chances- therefore I am sceptical that a striker is the solution to everything (albeit, we do need one!), and do wonder if we need a little more craft in CM.
I am intrigued by the signing of Harness- I think he could be a very important player for us if we can get him to work within the system (at Pompey, he did his best work playing off Hirst in the nr 10 role). We are a bigger and more physical team this year, which bodes well.
Ultimately, we have to become more clinical and ruthless, have some luck with injuries and go on some long winning runs. If we can do that, the belief in the process from the player will be very powerful. A hell of a lot of variables for a successful season, it has to be said. Saturday is a really important game- they will be right up for it, energised by the occasion and a good team who know their roles to boot. We need to manage the game really well, and take the chances that come along (which we were so poor at last year when playing newly promoted teams). What is clear in, is that we are in a very fortunate position of being well run, well supported and well coached- it is all there, and the foundations of something really hopeful. Lets hope that equates to success in the long term.

Blog: I Take Your Point

How do you see things at town. on 10:01 - Aug 4 with 674 viewsitfcsuth

I think we continue to develop - we have as clear an identity as a team as I have ever seen as a Town fan. Very well organised, we look a well coached side and most players, especially those who were here last year seemingly know their roles in detail now - new additions will pick this up as the season goes on.

We didn't want another high turnover in players this summer, and we have largely done good business (exc. Leif Davis, will see how that one plays out).

We have added a lot more physicality to the side, which is something KMc said he recognised we needed to add after last year - Ladapo, Leigh & Ball.

We have balance and strength throughout the pitch - there has been calls for another striker although I am not convinced on that one.

It's such an exciting time to be a Town fan, and really going to enjoy the ride this season and intrigued to see how we develop.

We can finally say we are a really well run club in so many different aspects.
How do you see things at town. on 10:07 - Aug 4 with 669 viewsElephantintheRoom

There are two interesting pieces in the EADT today which sum up the current state of the club quite nicely.

One is a happy birthday to John Wark - now an OAP of 65. Those of us who saw his debut as a teenager v the league champions in one of Town’s more iconic matches are no doubt feeling even older. The thing is Town were a top side back then playing the best team in the land in a must win game. And Robson put a 17 year old in for a must win cup replay. No talk of pathways and being loaned to Gillingham.

The other is a filler about players who might be leaving. One or two of them illustrate why the club is where it is - a third division club that has tossed away its identity and heritage, slipped down the league and now an US investment bought with borrowed money. Simpson - effectively on strike. And ‘the second best midfielder at the club’ without a sniff in an era with five subs. Meanwhile supporters seem excited to see an Arsenal player moonlighting for the club.

It all seems rather odd to those that remember a football club at Portman Road with local identity and a chairman who represented the club - rather than financial opportunity. Times change - but I do feel sorry seeing what the club has become - and what people under the age of John Wark will never see again

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

How do you see things at town. on 11:10 - Aug 4 with 630 viewsdirtyboy

How do you see things at town. on 10:07 - Aug 4 by ElephantintheRoom

There are two interesting pieces in the EADT today which sum up the current state of the club quite nicely.

One is a happy birthday to John Wark - now an OAP of 65. Those of us who saw his debut as a teenager v the league champions in one of Town’s more iconic matches are no doubt feeling even older. The thing is Town were a top side back then playing the best team in the land in a must win game. And Robson put a 17 year old in for a must win cup replay. No talk of pathways and being loaned to Gillingham.

The other is a filler about players who might be leaving. One or two of them illustrate why the club is where it is - a third division club that has tossed away its identity and heritage, slipped down the league and now an US investment bought with borrowed money. Simpson - effectively on strike. And ‘the second best midfielder at the club’ without a sniff in an era with five subs. Meanwhile supporters seem excited to see an Arsenal player moonlighting for the club.

It all seems rather odd to those that remember a football club at Portman Road with local identity and a chairman who represented the club - rather than financial opportunity. Times change - but I do feel sorry seeing what the club has become - and what people under the age of John Wark will never see again

The club was ahead of the curve back then, progressive and had relatively comparative resources compared.

Since Sky skewed the landscape and we messed up early on in the PL years and then failed again, not being part of that 'club' and then the successive billionaire acquistions, we're unlikely ever to be a top club again other than 'Leicester'.

There are countless wrong decisions in the club history, but all in hindsight right?

Fact is, we appear to be rebuilding and most can see it for what it is, a well run and well structured club, hence the support.

I disagree with the 'tossed away its identity and heritage' too, the club has very quickly made inroads into becomming a community club again, yes the reasons are financially motivated, but a financially viable club is the only thing that will ever keep ITFC alive, especially in the current climate.

Don't feel sorry for what it has become, times change, petrol was 30p a litre and Apple was a mere start up when Wark roamed the pitch like a youthful demigod.

Be grateful for what you had, then be grateful for what you have.
How do you see things at town. on 11:41 - Aug 4 with 611 viewsericclacton

It's simple really i use a white stick and talk to the trees.

How do you see things at town. on 11:45 - Aug 4 with 590 viewschicoazul

No goals in this squad right now. We need 2 more forwards and at least 1 more 10 type or once again we are going nowhere.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How do you see things at town. on 11:52 - Aug 4 with 565 viewsITFC_Forever

On the whole, I think the squad is in a good place… we certainly seem stronger down the left, Ball is a very shrewd addition and I like the sound of TJJ and Harkness.

I still can’t shake it the nagging doubt that we don’t have enough goals in the team though.

A point against Bolton isn’t the end of the world, as I think they’ll be PO contenders, but we can’t afford to start slowly again…. Points dropped are points dropped, no matter when in the season they happen.
We need to end August on 12+ points to see us off to a good start.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

How do you see things at town. on 12:18 - Aug 4 with 549 viewsMookamoo

Think it's also worth recognising who we have kept. Morsy is a Championship player and could quite easily have wanted a move over the summer. Walton, Woolfenden and Edmundson must have been part of discussions from Championship teams.

Some of the more promising youths such as Nbada are now under contract so we don't repeat the Simpson mistakes

I feel we've just about sorted the foundations of a great club, both on and off the field, which will last for a good few years yet. Its just that extra spark we need, either from what looks to be a really good manager getting the best out what we have, or adding an extra Celina type.
How do you see things at town. on 12:29 - Aug 4 with 529 views3_5_2

For me I think we did ok in the transfer window, Leigh is decent, the jury out on Davis but we have to trust Kmac there. Defence / midfield ok, genuine competition for places now

Up front I am not so sure. Early days but we have looked better with the Jackson, TJJ, Aluko combination and even Edwards may play a part

I think we lack a physical striker in this league, Lapado does well but someone like in the Darryl Murphy style would be great, I have no idea how good Hirst is / can be and if he is worth the money being quoted.

Anything less than playoffs will be, in my view, a poor season given the squad we have

I think generally we will dominate most games, be tighter at the back but think we may lack enough goals again

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

How do you see things at town. on 12:39 - Aug 4 with 496 viewscressi

How do you see things at town. on 12:29 - Aug 4 by 3_5_2

For me I think we did ok in the transfer window, Leigh is decent, the jury out on Davis but we have to trust Kmac there. Defence / midfield ok, genuine competition for places now

Up front I am not so sure. Early days but we have looked better with the Jackson, TJJ, Aluko combination and even Edwards may play a part

I think we lack a physical striker in this league, Lapado does well but someone like in the Darryl Murphy style would be great, I have no idea how good Hirst is / can be and if he is worth the money being quoted.

Anything less than playoffs will be, in my view, a poor season given the squad we have

I think generally we will dominate most games, be tighter at the back but think we may lack enough goals again

Think off the field definitely improvement and recruitment of the running of the club.
On the pitch signs of progress a decent squad think the 5 substitutes is a big help.
Think people to leave on loan or permanently still.
Players recruitment seems to have been decent. But still believe a top striker and possibly a goal scoring midfielder Ladapo is OK but only takes a injury or suspension
Not sure we would want t to rely on Jackson for goals.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024