Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non Local fans, and away games 08:42 - Aug 4 with 1183 viewsSamuelowen88

I've seen this mentioned on a thread recently and thought it might warrant further discussion.

I live up near Manchester, and cannot get to games regularly due to family commitments, cost, travel time or afford a season ticket.
However in the past I've managed to make it to a handful of local away games a season.

Now with our upsurge in popularity, it is becoming harder if not impossible to get your hands on away tickets, unless you are a ST holder.

So what are distant fans like me supposed to do?

I get the priority goes to ST and then GC holders as that's what you pay for. But surely there can be a way to allow distant fans access to local away games? Not sure how this would be possible of even if it would be.

It's just a shame that I and others in my situation will likely go a long time before being able to get to a game. Do we just have to wait for promotion and larger away allocations?

Poll: England v Wales Score

Non Local fans, and away games on 08:49 - Aug 4 with 1121 viewsBobbychase

There needs to be some sort of mechanism between fans where people allow others to use their ST numbers but that crosses into all sorts of data/privacy issues.

I agree it's a big problem (ticket availability) in L1. Hopefully we can get into the division above this time where the away ends hold thousands rather than hundreds.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Non Local fans, and away games on 08:51 - Aug 4 with 1120 viewsEly_Blue

If you’re local with a non ITFC area address then surely if you aren’t going to get yourself a GC then you have the option to get a ticket in the rest of the stadium?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Non Local fans, and away games on 08:51 - Aug 4 with 1117 viewsMullet

In the past this was where supporters' branches had an advantage. For example, the South West often get a block of tickets for their members to games in that region. But in the digital age and the long slow decline of supporters' branches things get a little murky.

On one hand, the diehards should always get priority and you'd argue they are small enough in number to always get a ticket. But then those of us whose postcode is closer to some away grounds getting special treatment is never going to go down well.

Given the ridiculous crap people actually complain about at AGMs etc that'd cause a riot! Hopefully the club could up with something innovative where fans register their address and request certain fixtures before the fixture list comes out, maybe that would be deemed slightly fairer?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Non Local fans, and away games on 08:55 - Aug 4 with 1067 viewsSamuelowen88

Non Local fans, and away games on 08:51 - Aug 4 by Ely_Blue

If you’re local with a non ITFC area address then surely if you aren’t going to get yourself a GC then you have the option to get a ticket in the rest of the stadium?

I could do yes, But in reality if I get to an away game i want the atmosphere of being surrounded by fellow town fans.

Can't really get fully into a game if you have to be on your best behaviour and not cheer the goals. etc

Non Local fans, and away games on 08:58 - Aug 4 with 1047 viewsSamuelowen88

Non Local fans, and away games on 08:51 - Aug 4 by Mullet

In the past this was where supporters' branches had an advantage. For example, the South West often get a block of tickets for their members to games in that region. But in the digital age and the long slow decline of supporters' branches things get a little murky.

On one hand, the diehards should always get priority and you'd argue they are small enough in number to always get a ticket. But then those of us whose postcode is closer to some away grounds getting special treatment is never going to go down well.

Given the ridiculous crap people actually complain about at AGMs etc that'd cause a riot! Hopefully the club could up with something innovative where fans register their address and request certain fixtures before the fixture list comes out, maybe that would be deemed slightly fairer?

This is the only logical way I could see it working.

You apply some how as a long distance town fan, give your post code, they then allow you a chance to get a ticket at your most local grounds.

I get that it would upset some die hards, but imo some supporters are getting shut out purely due to geography.

Non Local fans, and away games on 09:48 - Aug 4 with 938 viewsElephantintheRoom

When I was in the habit of going to away games I always got tickets in the non-away sections. The language wasn’t quite so bad, the view was always far superior and it’s always interesting to watch a match from the other supporters point of view. Usually yore near people happy to chat too.

The only negative is remembering not to be too enthusiastic when Town score. But that wasn’t too much of a problem usually.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Non Local fans, and away games on 13:17 - Aug 4 with 726 viewsSaleAway

Yeah, its a tricky one... I've got my Silver card, but FGR didn't reach that before selling out.

Burton was fine . Midweek games don't tend to be a problem, and I think its really only a few grounds where the away allocation is tiny that I struggled last year.

Waiting to see about Shrewsbury.... if they ever decide to put the tickets on sale. I want to go, but I think it might be another that gets close to selling out before SC or GS.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Non Local fans, and away games on 13:21 - Aug 4 with 712 viewsJakeITFC

Non Local fans, and away games on 08:58 - Aug 4 by Samuelowen88

This is the only logical way I could see it working.

You apply some how as a long distance town fan, give your post code, they then allow you a chance to get a ticket at your most local grounds.

I get that it would upset some die hards, but imo some supporters are getting shut out purely due to geography.

The opposite is that you shut out people who have paid the most money to the club and support them every week (and are seemingly prepared to travel further than you).

It would be nice to be able to strike a balance, but with these small away allocations it's difficult to not be annoying some fans every time.
Login to get fewer ads

Non Local fans, and away games on 13:31 - Aug 4 with 681 viewsITFC_Forever

Non Local fans, and away games on 13:17 - Aug 4 by SaleAway

Yeah, its a tricky one... I've got my Silver card, but FGR didn't reach that before selling out.

Burton was fine . Midweek games don't tend to be a problem, and I think its really only a few grounds where the away allocation is tiny that I struggled last year.

Waiting to see about Shrewsbury.... if they ever decide to put the tickets on sale. I want to go, but I think it might be another that gets close to selling out before SC or GS.

Shrewsbury will be fine…. I would think it will reach SC status.

There’s quite a number of ITFC fans doing the 92, so every time a new ground / ground we haven’t played at for 10-15 years comes up, those games tend to have high demand.

As we only played Shrewsbury a few months ago, the game in a couple of weeks won’t be as popular.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024