Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win 09:18 - Aug 4 with 4230 viewsunstableblue

I recently created a rambling thread under ‘How Soon is Now?’ - emphasising that it’s time for an inflection point at ITFC - where we start winning, ASAP, and prove the supposed superiority of players and set-up.

From that I had a good look at Rotherham and Wigan last season, and was sort of blown away by how quickly they got winning, and just how many wins they needed across the season.

I really feel we need to win Saturday, and we clearly should.

But just feel FGR are buoyant as a club.

A win?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 12:08 - Aug 4 with 1094 viewsHighgateBlue

We didn't turn over the promoted teams last year. And I am not convinced yet that we are better than last season, when we finished 11th. Again.

Forest Green won their opening fixture away from home. We didn't manage to win at home. We need to treat them with the respect they deserve. This is no gimme. We need to get three points soon, or else we will be playing catch up like last year. I'm not sure I can handle too many PPG discussions, so I'd rather we get ahead of the pack and stay there. Whether we will or not, I really don't know.

We're favourites, and that's justified. We should dominate the game, and I have reasonable confidence in our defence, but I haven't had confidence that we can score consistently since Bonne forgot how to score in the middle of last season. 20 times bitten, twice shy. If someone has his shooting boots on we should be OK, but there are no easy games, and all that jazz.
So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 12:23 - Aug 4 with 1050 viewsSharkey

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 10:14 - Aug 4 by ElephantintheRoom

It’s totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Forest Green might just be the weakest team in a very weak division - so a comfortable win is very much on the cards unless McKenna decides this is Real Madrid away.

On the other hand Town have a team of strangers still finding their feet and this is very much Forest Green’s biggest game of the season.

I just have a feeling that the top two in May will be the ones getting promoted. Not the top two in early August. As with Bolton - a draw isn’t the end of the world, but a win should be expected. And a defeat might be a wake up call

Their biggest game of the season? I think if you ask the fans, that would be Cheltenham.
So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 12:38 - Aug 4 with 1043 viewsBlueBoots

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 10:04 - Aug 4 by itfcsuth

FGR will be bang at it - it will be their first big cup final game of the season. Expect nothing less than a comeptitive game. Very aware they have lost key players in Adams and Cadden, in addition their top scorer Stevens doing his ACL and out until the new year.

Thing it will be a hectic first 25 minutes, where they will be right at it. Weather that and take control of the game I feel a good 2-0/2-1 win is on the cards.

Pretty much agree with this assessment. Will add that another key player FGR lost was Kane Wilson - between him and Cadden that's 27 assists they're missing from last season, as well as the 23 goals from Stevens.

Would love to see Aluko start on Saturday - think we need his calm experienced head to link the play, keep the ball moving and not let the game get scrappy.

One thing that could play into our hands, is that FGR should be confident after promotion and their win on the opening day, so if they come out and attack us rather than park the bus, we've got plenty of pace in the squad now to punish them on the counter-attack.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 13:23 - Aug 4 with 1010 viewslongtimefan

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 12:08 - Aug 4 by HighgateBlue

We didn't turn over the promoted teams last year. And I am not convinced yet that we are better than last season, when we finished 11th. Again.

Forest Green won their opening fixture away from home. We didn't manage to win at home. We need to treat them with the respect they deserve. This is no gimme. We need to get three points soon, or else we will be playing catch up like last year. I'm not sure I can handle too many PPG discussions, so I'd rather we get ahead of the pack and stay there. Whether we will or not, I really don't know.

We're favourites, and that's justified. We should dominate the game, and I have reasonable confidence in our defence, but I haven't had confidence that we can score consistently since Bonne forgot how to score in the middle of last season. 20 times bitten, twice shy. If someone has his shooting boots on we should be OK, but there are no easy games, and all that jazz.

When the fixture list comes out the first thing I look for is the games against the promoted and relegated clubs. I always favour playing relegated teams early in the season and promoted teams later. Promoted teams always start on a high and their early season performances are often significantly better than their season average. Was rather disappointed (and somewhat concerned) to see our first away game was against a promoted team.
Not really.... on 13:30 - Aug 4 with 999 viewsjayessess

Not really.... on 11:16 - Aug 4 by SitfcB

You’ve just proved his point

All those chances and one goal scored.

It’s not just the first game of the season it was all last season as well!

We did also win some games last season...
[Post edited 4 Aug 2022 13:39]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 13:35 - Aug 4 with 992 viewsGarv

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 12:08 - Aug 4 by HighgateBlue

For me, until we can start scoring different types of goals, we might struggle.

Evans' goal was nicely worked, but I don't suppose we'll see that happen very often. We don't score from outside the box, and I still don't think our CBs will score many headers from corners or set pieces.

Our main route to goal is still Burns down the right pulling the ball back for Morsy. We've also lost the Celina hollywood ball from deep into the on-running Burns.

If we start scoring tonnes of goals it will probably be because our attacking play has just become too good for teams and we carve them open, as opposed to us finding different ways to score.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 15:47 - Aug 4 with 893 viewsunstableblue

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 11:30 - Aug 4 by chicoazul

What do you mean supposed? You’ve spent all summer telling us how much better than everyone we are.

"You’ve spent all summer telling us how much better than everyone we are."

Fake news

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 15:57 - Aug 4 with 883 viewsunstableblue

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 09:35 - Aug 4 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I like the way needing to actually win a lot of football games to be successful seems like a revelation to you

But yes, 3 points required, and will be gained, on Saturday

No the revelation, and counter to the responses to my note, is that there is simply no 'kicking the can down the road' 'the season isn't decided in August' concept in this league now... you have to go early, beat the weaker teams.. and do well against promotion rivals.

And that's what Rotherham and Wigan did, and why we have to really beat 2 of 3 from FGR, Shrews and Burton... can't see automatic promotion if we don't take a lot of points from those games.

Starting with a win at FGR... which feels like a banana skin.. too much pressure on the players? well they need to start handling that

Login to get fewer ads

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 16:01 - Aug 4 with 874 viewsJ2BLUE

Kind of odd how some on this thread are saying we can't score goals and the same people are saying we need at least one striker. Yet they have written the two new strikers off based on one game.

The same problems might occur but they are jumping very early.

3-0 Town.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Not really.... on 16:05 - Aug 4 with 871 viewsitfcsuth

Not really.... on 10:25 - Aug 4 by homer_123

I think it would be accurate to say that, similar to last season, Saturday saw us create a number of very good chances that we didn't capitalise on.

It's a little bit of a stretch to judge them on 1 game though.

Over half of the players forming the attacking options either weren't here last season, under didn't feature due to injuries.
So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 16:06 - Aug 4 with 870 viewsCoastalblue

I think we'll turn them over in the last half hour after a tight game, which I think is something that may get familiar this season.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 16:06 - Aug 4 with 855 viewsFrimleyBlue

I'd just like us to see these games through

A nice 3-0 away victory.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 16:15 - Aug 4 with 851 viewsBogblue

Them signing Connor Wickham has made me nervous, it's all very well some saying he's past it, but that's all the motivation he needs isn't it. Law of the ex & all that.

Hope McKenna's immediate pre match talk is telling our lads not to take anything for granted, to be prepared & not get caught cold, FG will be fired up for this. Then we need to be dynamic, quick, not too fussy lining up "perfect" chances, shoot where there's any chance.
So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 16:19 - Aug 4 with 840 viewsJ2BLUE

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 16:15 - Aug 4 by Bogblue

Them signing Connor Wickham has made me nervous, it's all very well some saying he's past it, but that's all the motivation he needs isn't it. Law of the ex & all that.

Hope McKenna's immediate pre match talk is telling our lads not to take anything for granted, to be prepared & not get caught cold, FG will be fired up for this. Then we need to be dynamic, quick, not too fussy lining up "perfect" chances, shoot where there's any chance.

That's exactly what he will say. Their first home game ever at this level. For 20 mins we might well be on the back foot.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 16:19 - Aug 4 with 840 viewsjayessess

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 16:15 - Aug 4 by Bogblue

He played against us last year to no real effect.

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 16:56 - Aug 4 with 807 viewsSkip_Intro

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 10:19 - Aug 4 by homer_123

'team of strangers' - hardly, of the 11 that started Saturday....8 were there last year.

Not really.... on 12:06 - Aug 5 with 708 viewsGarv

Not really.... on 16:05 - Aug 4 by itfcsuth

It's a little bit of a stretch to judge them on 1 game though.

Over half of the players forming the attacking options either weren't here last season, under didn't feature due to injuries.

That seems to mean that we're back to 'gelling' territory then?

Not really.... on 12:19 - Aug 5 with 693 viewsjayessess

Not really.... on 12:06 - Aug 5 by Garv

That seems to mean that we're back to 'gelling' territory then?

More "too small a sample size" territory, I'd say?

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 12:22 - Aug 5 with 681 viewsFrimleyBlue

Watching their extended highlights from Saturday. Our cbs are going to need to be wide awake. They go direct to their front line and attack with speed.

May open it up for us going forwards but we really need our defence up to the task
[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 12:24]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 12:23 - Aug 5 with 678 viewssouthnorfolkblue

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 13:23 - Aug 4 by longtimefan

When the fixture list comes out the first thing I look for is the games against the promoted and relegated clubs. I always favour playing relegated teams early in the season and promoted teams later. Promoted teams always start on a high and their early season performances are often significantly better than their season average. Was rather disappointed (and somewhat concerned) to see our first away game was against a promoted team.

Totally agree, which is why getting the likes of Morecambe and Cheltenham so early last season proved such difficult games.

Don’t think tomorrow will be any different. I’m hoping that we edge home but I’m not that confident!

Poll: Our final position

Not really.... on 12:25 - Aug 5 with 670 viewsGarv

Not really.... on 12:19 - Aug 5 by jayessess

More "too small a sample size" territory, I'd say?

Yeah, fair enough.

Funny, this time last year we weren't worried a jot about scoring goals. We knew we would score them, we were just resigned to conceding two every week as well.

Not really.... on 12:45 - Aug 5 with 654 viewsjayessess

Not really.... on 12:25 - Aug 5 by Garv

Yeah, fair enough.

Funny, this time last year we weren't worried a jot about scoring goals. We knew we would score them, we were just resigned to conceding two every week as well.

On top of our rickety defence, last Autumn/Winter we were scoring more goals than you'd expect, relative to the chances we were creating. Top of the league for shot conversion, outscoring xG. Both often a sign that your goalscoring form probably isn't sustainable, because eventually your finishing is going to regress to the mean at least somewhat.

Not really.... on 13:36 - Aug 5 with 640 viewsGarv

Not really.... on 12:45 - Aug 5 by jayessess

On top of our rickety defence, last Autumn/Winter we were scoring more goals than you'd expect, relative to the chances we were creating. Top of the league for shot conversion, outscoring xG. Both often a sign that your goalscoring form probably isn't sustainable, because eventually your finishing is going to regress to the mean at least somewhat.

I've said on a different post that we really need to start scoring different goals.

We were probably the same at the start of last season, it was mainly Bonne and Burns creating/scoring, but as you say it wasn't sustainable.

I'd love to see someone score a thumping header or a daisy cutter from 25 yards tomorrow.

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 15:45 - Aug 5 with 560 viewsTractorTom5

So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 11:30 - Aug 4 by chicoazul

What do you mean supposed? You’ve spent all summer telling us how much better than everyone we are.

Think it’ll be a win for FG
We don’t put our chances away and don’t utilise our squad
Those that train well should be in not those that cost us dollar
So how’s everyone feeling about Forest Green? Confident of a win on 20:35 - Aug 5 with 483 viewslizzibee

I'm quietly confident of a win. FGR are very boyant but factor in that the team they beat were promoted from league two and league one is a different ball game. I think they will struggle with an on-from Burns and JD partnering together and Morsy will run riot in the middle. Need the defense to be solid.
we probably have at least a third of the ground full of fans so with the noise we can make that will help too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024