Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If it came down to it. 16:33 - Aug 4 with 3312 viewsCheltenham_Blue

And Town got to, and stayed in, The EPL, the likelyhood is that at some point we would have to significantly increase our capacity to both satisfy the demand on season tickets and to make us a more attractive option for investors.

Would you rather.

a) A new stadium, on the outskirts of town, possibly on the A12 with good road access and rail links.

or.

b) The total redevelopment of the current site, in the same way that Bristol City developed Ashton Gate.

Its B for me, but I'd like the club to find a way to keep something of the current stadium.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

If it came down to it. on 19:08 - Aug 4 with 741 viewsCheltenham_Blue

If it came down to it. on 19:06 - Aug 4 by FoD_Blue

A couple of people are mentioning safe standing in their response to increasing capacity.
Would this actually increase capacity, or would the footprint per seat be the same as we already have but with an option to stand rather than sit in your 'seat'?

It wouldn't increase it as the standing rails have a lockable seat too.

If it came down to it. on 19:28 - Aug 4 with 707 viewsjayessess

If it came down to it. on 18:10 - Aug 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

Our current capacity is 30,311. In truth, we all know it isn't the true capacity, but lets err on the side of caution and say its 30,000.

Sides with a lower capacity than us and their position last season.

Nodge - 27,244 - Relegated
Palace - 26,225 - 13th
Watford - 22,100 - Relegated
Burnley - 21,944 - Relegated
Brentford - 17,250 - 14th

Dolly hits it on the head, we sold 16,500 season tickets this year and added 10k to that in ticket sales for last weekend.

I would imagine, if that is maintained, it will be nigh on impossible for anyone to get a ticket if we get into the PL. Thats lost revenue, and if I'm learning anything from this ownership group, its that they absolutely will not allow any revenue to escape down the back of the couch.

Lower capacity is a bit misleading, there are another 4 clubs with a capacity within 10% of ours.

Brighton - 31,780 - 9th
Wolves - 32,050 - 10th
Leicester - 32,261 - 8th
Southampton - 32,384 -15th.

Portman Road's current capacity is closer to St.Mary's than it is to Carrow Road's.
Another 10% on our gate receipts would a drop in the ocean next to the TV money in that situation.

I'm not entirely convinced it's so straightforward that because we sell 26k in League One, we could sell 40k in the Premier League. I'm sure attendances would go up, especially first season back, but generally they plateau after that. Southampton's average attendance has only once exceeded 2012-13.

A new stand is an expensive endeavour for what at best would be a marginal gain.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2022 21:43]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If it came down to it. on 19:55 - Aug 4 with 681 viewsParisBlue

Stay where we are, it's iconic. Historically building a new stand has been followed by money problems.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

If it came down to it. on 20:05 - Aug 4 with 666 viewsGlasgowBlue

If it came down to it. on 16:34 - Aug 4 by itfcjoe

I don’t think we’d need to get much bigger, maybe 40k absolute tops - so would easily be able to do that on original site

This

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

If it came down to it. on 20:47 - Aug 4 with 641 viewsChurchman

If it came down to it. on 16:36 - Aug 4 by J2BLUE

Rebuild Cobbold.

Job done.

B for me. Rebuilding the Cobbold stand gets my vote too.

Plenty of room out the back of the West Stand to develop stuff and of course they’ve got that little bit of land where Staples was.
If it came down to it. on 00:13 - Aug 5 with 557 viewsketton_itfc

B New Cobbold Stand in similar style to Forest's new one which will replace the Peter Taylor stand. as somebody said previously it can be the face of the ground. Would definitely need to straddle PR. I guess that would bring our capacity to about 33/34k. Really can't see us needing more.
If it came down to it. on 00:41 - Aug 5 with 540 viewsHighgateBlue

If it came down to it. on 17:19 - Aug 4 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm amazed at people thinking we have enough already. What 1/4 of the Prem get is largely irrelevant - we got nearly 27k in our last home game - in League 1! It stands to reason going up the leagues we'd need more. 40k seems a reasonable figure, and probably doable on the current site.

If you want 40k on the current site, that will require building a whole new stadium. Fine. So what happens, we make it make into the Premier League for the first time in 25 years (50 years? 100?), and as soon as we make it there, we announce to our fans that we'll be playing our home games at, where? Colchester, Felixstowe? whilst we spend at least a year building a new stadium? Is that what is being suggested? To increase our capacity to the same as Chelsea's. In Ipswich.
If it came down to it. on 06:21 - Aug 5 with 496 viewsPioneerBlue

Its B for me! PR is iconic.

One of the attractions for many local people is ease of access, proximity to town and station. I travel in by car and I still find it easy to access/park. However if the club thought greater non football revenue would be possible and contribute to football revenue with A we should understand that.

It’s a shame, I’m not sure enough thought was given to non ticket revenue when we built SAR and SBR. Space behind terraces, people flow behind those stands, the queues, time to serve and inability to move quickly through compared to modern stadia doesn’t compare. That said, Pioneer has a lot of space behind and still suffers queues for kiosks!

Wigan/MKD two more recent examples, easy to move and be served and lots of space behind terraces. Whereas, Sunderland huge stadium and still loads of queue in quite tight spaces, it’s obviously not simple otherwise football would have nailed it!

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Login to get fewer ads

If it came down to it. on 10:21 - Aug 5 with 444 viewsDinDjarin

Only need to develop the cobbold stand, rest of stadium is fine.
If it came down to it. on 10:28 - Aug 5 with 438 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If it came down to it. on 00:41 - Aug 5 by HighgateBlue

If you want 40k on the current site, that will require building a whole new stadium. Fine. So what happens, we make it make into the Premier League for the first time in 25 years (50 years? 100?), and as soon as we make it there, we announce to our fans that we'll be playing our home games at, where? Colchester, Felixstowe? whilst we spend at least a year building a new stadium? Is that what is being suggested? To increase our capacity to the same as Chelsea's. In Ipswich.

Firstly, the OP says "and stayed in". So you're building a straw man to say "as soon as we make it there."

And others in the thread have already said how it could be raised to around 40k without a whole new stadium.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

If it came down to it. on 11:14 - Aug 5 with 413 viewsCheltenham_Blue

If it came down to it. on 19:28 - Aug 4 by jayessess

Lower capacity is a bit misleading, there are another 4 clubs with a capacity within 10% of ours.

Brighton - 31,780 - 9th
Wolves - 32,050 - 10th
Leicester - 32,261 - 8th
Southampton - 32,384 -15th.

Portman Road's current capacity is closer to St.Mary's than it is to Carrow Road's.
Another 10% on our gate receipts would a drop in the ocean next to the TV money in that situation.

I'm not entirely convinced it's so straightforward that because we sell 26k in League One, we could sell 40k in the Premier League. I'm sure attendances would go up, especially first season back, but generally they plateau after that. Southampton's average attendance has only once exceeded 2012-13.

A new stand is an expensive endeavour for what at best would be a marginal gain.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2022 21:43]

I'm not sure why, but you seem to be getting a bit het up about what was an entirely rhetorical question. My question was largely based on the ambition of the owners for this club, which doesn't seem to have a ceiling.

So in that scenario, you'd imaging we are going to need more that 35k and significantly better infrastructure.

Of course, it might not happen, but we're just spitballing here, its not actually happening (yet)

If it came down to it. on 11:15 - Aug 5 with 411 viewsCheltenham_Blue

If it came down to it. on 00:41 - Aug 5 by HighgateBlue

Same as above. We're still in L1, this is all theoretical.
Calm down.

If it came down to it. on 11:22 - Aug 5 with 406 viewsjayessess

If it came down to it. on 11:14 - Aug 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

I'm not sure why, but you seem to be getting a bit het up about what was an entirely rhetorical question. My question was largely based on the ambition of the owners for this club, which doesn't seem to have a ceiling.

So in that scenario, you'd imaging we are going to need more that 35k and significantly better infrastructure.

Of course, it might not happen, but we're just spitballing here, its not actually happening (yet)

Tone doesn't really translate in text, but I'm just exploring the hypothetical scenario!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024