Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sussex police horrific Taser (and pepper spray) misuse against mentally ill man 22:12 - Aug 4 with 758 viewsNthsuffolkblue

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/police-pepper-sprayed-then-tasered-one-leg

Still no news on a date for Bettley-Smith's retrial.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Sussex police horrific Taser (and pepper spray) misuse against mentally ill man on 22:26 - Aug 4 with 705 viewsjeera

93 years old.

One legged and in a wheelchair.

But holding a knife. I didn't spot where it specified what kind of knife but I'm going with not relevant here. It could have been a kukri and no one would feel in any danger.

At worst you could wait until he'd nodded off or something.

Tasered. Pepper sprayed. A baton was used ffs?!

This isn't misconduct, it's murder.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Sussex police horrific Taser (and pepper spray) misuse against mentally ill man on 00:39 - Aug 5 with 624 viewsBasingstokeBlue

FFS, are our police turning into the same animals that wear the uniform in the USA?

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Sussex police horrific Taser (and pepper spray) misuse against mentally ill man on 05:36 - Aug 5 with 571 viewsbluelagos

Sussex police horrific Taser (and pepper spray) misuse against mentally ill man on 22:26 - Aug 4 by jeera

93 years old.

One legged and in a wheelchair.

But holding a knife. I didn't spot where it specified what kind of knife but I'm going with not relevant here. It could have been a kukri and no one would feel in any danger.

At worst you could wait until he'd nodded off or something.

Tasered. Pepper sprayed. A baton was used ffs?!

This isn't misconduct, it's murder.

When I was teaching, I once got a copper in to talk to the pupils about her career (stick that in yer pipe) and one question she was asked was what weapons she liked to use and which was the best.

She pointed to her mouth and said this is the weapon I like to use, it is the most effective and doesn't hurt anyone.

No doubt the usual apologists will be along to tell us not to prejudge, that the police are not all bad, maybe some might even argue the Iopc are genuinely independent and can be trusted to thoroughly investigate in an impartial and timely manner.

Of course other opinions are available to those of us available to see for ourselves that UK police are pretty much allowed to behave with impunity. That the Iopc are not fit for purpose is the view of pretty much everyone who has ever dealt with them.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Sussex police horrific Taser (and pepper spray) misuse against mentally ill man on 09:12 - Aug 5 with 501 viewsBlueBadger

Sussex police horrific Taser (and pepper spray) misuse against mentally ill man on 05:36 - Aug 5 by bluelagos

When I was teaching, I once got a copper in to talk to the pupils about her career (stick that in yer pipe) and one question she was asked was what weapons she liked to use and which was the best.

She pointed to her mouth and said this is the weapon I like to use, it is the most effective and doesn't hurt anyone.

No doubt the usual apologists will be along to tell us not to prejudge, that the police are not all bad, maybe some might even argue the Iopc are genuinely independent and can be trusted to thoroughly investigate in an impartial and timely manner.

Of course other opinions are available to those of us available to see for ourselves that UK police are pretty much allowed to behave with impunity. That the Iopc are not fit for purpose is the view of pretty much everyone who has ever dealt with them.

Frankly, this would have been inexcusable in someone in their 40s. Doing it to someone incredibly frail in their 90's smacks of almost a Chris Morris sketch level of brutality and incompetence.

With no disprepect intended, most hospital porters could(genuinely) have de escalated this better.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 10:04]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Sussex police horrific Taser (and pepper spray) misuse against mentally ill man on 09:20 - Aug 5 with 493 viewsSTYG

On the face of it, it looks absolutely inexcusable.

However, I have an elderly relative a couple of years older with dementia. About 5 years back they attacked the young girl who'd just started caring for them with a carving knife in the middle of the night because they thought they were an intruder. She came very close to plunging it straight into the girl. She was deemed to be able to be independent to a degree still but she moved into full time care straight afterwards.

But this seems very different. If it turns out nobody else was in immediate imminent danger, (eg he had the knife to somebody) and there's no mention of anybody being in the room with him, then the actions here by the police simply cannot be justified. If it's an old man, confused and unwell, holding a knife, even if threatening himself, you'd imagine there are countless better solutions to the ones taken and the manslaughter charges are probably representative of the likely facts.

Important to learn the exact circumstances however, which will no doubt come to light. It's very hard to think of any likely justification for pepper spray, let alone the baton and taser afterwards on what has to be an incredibly frail and weak man who could likely have been disarmed relatively comfortably, unless it was literally to save another life. If so, I'd imagine it would never have got this far and that would have been made public, so this really looks horrific.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 9:26]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024