Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This rigid formation 10:43 - Aug 5 with 4458 viewsDMDC

Its clear that KmK isnt going to change from the same formation. Teams are going to know exactly how to set up each week against us. Cook got slaughtered on here for never changing his system, yet KmK seems to get an easy ride. Cook never was for me,but we still keep the same formation week in week out that Mr K likes to play.
One up front,with strikers who are all used to playing in a two and you wonder why they struggle. Two sitting just behind, Chaplin isnt a no.10, he runs around up his own @rse most of the time. None of the number 10s really create a lot. Aluko is about the best we have. I dont think its a natural position for Harness ,think he will struggle if he is expected to play that role each week. It feels very much like square pegs in round holes in the forward positions. As you can see, lm really not a fan of a lone striker.
This rigid formation on 20:16 - Aug 5 with 816 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This rigid formation on 19:57 - Aug 5 by ibbleobble

I agree. I’d just like the fan base to be consistent. If we were intent on carrying over Cook’s poor end to a season then we should do the same with KM. KMs a very promising manager but all managers have their Achilles heel and we’re beginning to see KMs.

Indeed, let's be consistent on that and not cherry-pick stats that make a negative point to suit the agenda.

McKenna winning 11 from 24 compared to Cook's 14 from 44!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This rigid formation on 20:31 - Aug 5 with 801 viewsibbleobble

This rigid formation on 20:16 - Aug 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

Indeed, let's be consistent on that and not cherry-pick stats that make a negative point to suit the agenda.

McKenna winning 11 from 24 compared to Cook's 14 from 44!

Can’t tell if you’re intentionally being ironic so I might deserve a whoosh. For all Cook’s poor results, KM did equal Cook’s worst run o form last season which shouldn’t go unchecked. He’d have to really struggle to emulate Cook’s first 6 of last season though.
This rigid formation on 20:41 - Aug 5 with 786 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This rigid formation on 20:31 - Aug 5 by ibbleobble

Can’t tell if you’re intentionally being ironic so I might deserve a whoosh. For all Cook’s poor results, KM did equal Cook’s worst run o form last season which shouldn’t go unchecked. He’d have to really struggle to emulate Cook’s first 6 of last season though.

"KM did equal Cook’s worst run o form last season which shouldn’t go unchecked."

Please reference where McKenna did this. I make Cook's worst spells 8 points from 10 matches between 16 March and 24 April 2021 and 3 points from 6 matches at the start of last season. Or you might be able to find worse by including some cup matches in a different stage of the season.

Where did McKenna match either of those runs? The worst I can see was 3 points from 5 matches sandwiched between wins either side so 6 points from 6 matches. That is 100% better than Cook's return!

This rigid formation on 20:54 - Aug 5 with 776 viewsVeggie

I think there may be a valid point in that I wonder if by playing 3 centre backs, we are losing out on another player in an attacking position. Looking at the Palace v Arsenal match I note they both play with 2 CBs.
This rigid formation on 21:12 - Aug 5 with 741 views44_not_out

Sorry to be be late to the party on this thread.

I think it’s anything but rigid. The fact Burns is given license to effectively play where he wants and we alternate from a back 3 to a 4 throughout a game suggests we are hard to play against.

The bottom line is that teams will ultimately set up defensively against us (Bolton in the 2nd half) proves that we are hard to play against

Stupid post that just stinks of attention seeking.
This rigid formation on 21:15 - Aug 5 with 740 viewsibbleobble

This rigid formation on 20:41 - Aug 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

"KM did equal Cook’s worst run o form last season which shouldn’t go unchecked."

Please reference where McKenna did this. I make Cook's worst spells 8 points from 10 matches between 16 March and 24 April 2021 and 3 points from 6 matches at the start of last season. Or you might be able to find worse by including some cup matches in a different stage of the season.

Where did McKenna match either of those runs? The worst I can see was 3 points from 5 matches sandwiched between wins either side so 6 points from 6 matches. That is 100% better than Cook's return!

Sorry, a 9 game period where KM picked up 1pt more W2 D5 L2 from his last 9 league games last season whereas Cook picked up W2 D4 L3 in his first 9 games.

Two poor runs that book ended last season.
This rigid formation on 21:16 - Aug 5 with 740 viewsCokeIsKey

Do you watch any of our games? We played a 4231 on Saturday with Burns pushing up to play right wing and we frequently switch between variations of 3 at the back. McKenna specifically talks about having a set style of play but no set formation so to suggest otherwise makes you sound like a bit of a cretin.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

This rigid formation on 22:01 - Aug 5 with 692 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This rigid formation on 21:15 - Aug 5 by ibbleobble

Sorry, a 9 game period where KM picked up 1pt more W2 D5 L2 from his last 9 league games last season whereas Cook picked up W2 D4 L3 in his first 9 games.

Two poor runs that book ended last season.

That was not Cook's worst run.

Login to get fewer ads

This rigid formation on 22:07 - Aug 5 with 681 viewsibbleobble

This rigid formation on 22:01 - Aug 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

That was not Cook's worst run.

You misread my message. I said, “…Cook’s worst run of form last season”.
This rigid formation on 22:22 - Aug 5 with 665 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This rigid formation on 22:07 - Aug 5 by ibbleobble

You misread my message. I said, “…Cook’s worst run of form last season”.

Which was 3 points from 6 matches. Far worse.

EDIT: It is easy to manipulate statistics to suit your argument which is why taking the whole tenure in both cases is a much fairer analysis.

Plus your argument that McKenna's worst run matched Cook's whilst cherry picking it from last season only still shows that McKenna's was 1 point better anyway. So it didn't.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 22:25]

This rigid formation on 22:47 - Aug 5 with 631 viewsjayessess

This rigid formation on 22:22 - Aug 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

EDIT: It is easy to manipulate statistics to suit your argument which is why taking the whole tenure in both cases is a much fairer analysis.

Plus your argument that McKenna's worst run matched Cook's whilst cherry picking it from last season only still shows that McKenna's was 1 point better anyway. So it didn't.

It's just a really daft exercise, every team/manager has bad runs. Rotherham won 2 in 9 at one point last season, Wigan failed to win in 5 games.

Kieran McKenna carries over one sustained period of good form (17 games, 10 wins, 5 draws, 2 defeats) and one bad patch (5 games, 4 of them definitively dead rubbers).

Paul Cook carried over one sustained period of atrocious form (13 games, 2 wins, 6 draws, 5 defeats) and one brief rally (2 wins in 3, all definitively dead rubbers).

(The picture looks even less flattering for Cook if you compare the actual performances in those games, incidentally)

Thus McKenna has some credit in the bank and Paul Cook had none.

Well, that's not quite true. Quite a lot of people wanted to give Paul Cook credit for deciding to overhaul the squad and it was only really when our poor form continued that people decided the previous season was a real reflection of Cook's inadequacies.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

This rigid formation on 23:19 - Aug 5 with 584 viewsBondiBlue

This rigid formation on 22:47 - Aug 5 by jayessess

It's just a really daft exercise, every team/manager has bad runs. Rotherham won 2 in 9 at one point last season, Wigan failed to win in 5 games.

Kieran McKenna carries over one sustained period of good form (17 games, 10 wins, 5 draws, 2 defeats) and one bad patch (5 games, 4 of them definitively dead rubbers).

Paul Cook carried over one sustained period of atrocious form (13 games, 2 wins, 6 draws, 5 defeats) and one brief rally (2 wins in 3, all definitively dead rubbers).

(The picture looks even less flattering for Cook if you compare the actual performances in those games, incidentally)

Thus McKenna has some credit in the bank and Paul Cook had none.

Well, that's not quite true. Quite a lot of people wanted to give Paul Cook credit for deciding to overhaul the squad and it was only really when our poor form continued that people decided the previous season was a real reflection of Cook's inadequacies.

I don't think it's a bad thing that we're being positive about our current manager.

Poll: Which would you accept?

This rigid formation on 04:45 - Aug 6 with 474 viewsibbleobble

This rigid formation on 22:22 - Aug 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

This is ridiculous. You’re doing exactly what you’re criticising me for just to try and be right. What is it with folk on here tat they have to be hell bent on being right and saving face every time!?

The bottom line is, however you want to cut it, KM had a poor run toward the end of last season as did Cook at the start. In your eyes, Cook had no wins in 6 and KM had 1 in 6. Not sure why you’re so determined to make sure KM comes out of this in a better light. Who cares? It’s not a competition, it’s an observation. Cook lost his job for not being good enough, end of. KM needs to improve because he’s only won 2 of his last ten games - that’s the stat that really bothers me.

You say looking at “the whole tenure is fair” but it’s not. Cook had to rebuild a whole squad amidst major upheaval at the club and KM inherited a stable squad who’d had every formation tried and tested by Cook and McGreal. KM was given a gift in my view so there’s more context to add when comparing like-for-like tenures.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 5:56]
This rigid formation on 08:54 - Aug 6 with 413 viewsVic

What a strange post!

The one thing that really can’t be thrown at KM is that he sticks to a rigid formation. He’s a tactician who has repeatedly downplayed formations.

Sure, he may have played the same formation last season ((I haven’t done a check so I’m not sure) but even if he did it was surely because the team was doing well. Why change what is working?

Haven’t read the whole thread and I’m sure others have made this same point.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

This rigid formation on 08:59 - Aug 6 with 395 viewsVic

This rigid formation on 19:57 - Aug 5 by ibbleobble

I agree. I’d just like the fan base to be consistent. If we were intent on carrying over Cook’s poor end to a season then we should do the same with KM. KMs a very promising manager but all managers have their Achilles heel and we’re beginning to see KMs.

Are we? I suggest more time is needed. You might be right, but too early to call as yet.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024