Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everything or Nothing Arsenal 13:48 - Aug 5 with 1129 viewsHipsterectomy

Has anyone watched it yet?

I thought Arteta came across really well and I didn't think much of him as a coach or person before. He has some strange ways of doing things, but is a nice guy who is open with the squad about his fears of failing and poor mental health. At one point he's discussing sending a player on loan, but says he doesn't want to know about his match performances as he knows he's a great player. He just wants positive comments from the loan club about the player's desire, motivation and who he is as a person.

The young players there inc Burns, Saka, Tierney, Rowe came across really well. People who are proud to be there, don't take themselves seriously or see themselves as celebrities. Auba never seemed to interact with the squad other than his mates, which as a captain wasn't great. Compared to the younger lads he seemed to see himself as a God, which is probably the case for most clubs where you have a player like that e.g. Ronaldo at United.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 13:51 - Aug 5 with 1102 viewshype313

Watched 3 episodes last night, thought the way he handled the youngsters was excellent, seems like a good working environment, talks about his problems as a player, shows empathy and also can handle ego's with the removal of Auba.

I fully expect McKenna is quite similar in his traits, these younger managers get it with players, they understand the landscape of professional football these days as opposed to days gone past.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:03 - Aug 5 with 1037 viewsParky

I’m only 2 episodes in, think he comes across as a really nice bloke and a dedicated coach. I can definitely see why the players like him.

All that said, he’s been there for 3 seasons and failed to make the top 4 (finishing 8th twice), whilst spending hundreds of millions.

I like Arsenal’s new approach in signing young players and putting faith in their academy etc, but still think they’re miles off City, Liverpool and Chelsea. Personally, don’t think Arteta is good enough.
Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:05 - Aug 5 with 1025 viewshype313

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:03 - Aug 5 by Parky

I’m only 2 episodes in, think he comes across as a really nice bloke and a dedicated coach. I can definitely see why the players like him.

All that said, he’s been there for 3 seasons and failed to make the top 4 (finishing 8th twice), whilst spending hundreds of millions.

I like Arsenal’s new approach in signing young players and putting faith in their academy etc, but still think they’re miles off City, Liverpool and Chelsea. Personally, don’t think Arteta is good enough.

Think this season is make or break for him, especially with the investment of Jesus and Zinchenko.

Anything bar top 4 and he will be out.

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:09 - Aug 5 with 1016 viewsGarv

What right has he got to be competing with those three teams though? They haven't done so properly for 10+ years, they haven't had any kind of solid base or spine that could achieve that. Money spent yes, but as you say it's mainly gone on youth.

He's made them more solid than they were under Wenger and he's slowly adding quality like Odegaard and Jesus etc. I'm glad they didn't bin him off when they were looking iffy at the start of last year.

Also, fair play for sending Aubameyang packing. Most managers wouldn't have.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 14:10]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:13 - Aug 5 with 981 viewsKieran_Knows

Winning the FA Cup certainly helped.

The impression I get, is that the Arsenal board and Edu are all in on him. It was about setting the right culture, getting rid of expensive and bag eggs (Ozil & Aubameyang to name 2) and then bringing through the youngsters and signing a decent player or 2 along the way. I think he can afford to miss out on top 4 this season, and still be in a job next summer.

I actually think the signings of Jesus & Zinchenko might go down as the deals of the summer.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:18 - Aug 5 with 965 viewsParky

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:09 - Aug 5 by Garv

What right has he got to be competing with those three teams though? They haven't done so properly for 10+ years, they haven't had any kind of solid base or spine that could achieve that. Money spent yes, but as you say it's mainly gone on youth.

He's made them more solid than they were under Wenger and he's slowly adding quality like Odegaard and Jesus etc. I'm glad they didn't bin him off when they were looking iffy at the start of last year.

Also, fair play for sending Aubameyang packing. Most managers wouldn't have.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 14:10]

Whilst I partly agree with what you’re saying, Arsenal should be making top four every single season and haven’t done so since 13/14. The whole of the Premier League spends a stupid amount of money, but with their recent investments, should be finishing top 4.

Completely disagree about Wenger though, in his 22 seasons as Arsenal manager, he failed to make the top 4 twice (his last 2 seasons), since then, Emeri and Arteta have now failed to do so.
Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:23 - Aug 5 with 941 viewsParky

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:13 - Aug 5 by Kieran_Knows

Winning the FA Cup certainly helped.

The impression I get, is that the Arsenal board and Edu are all in on him. It was about setting the right culture, getting rid of expensive and bag eggs (Ozil & Aubameyang to name 2) and then bringing through the youngsters and signing a decent player or 2 along the way. I think he can afford to miss out on top 4 this season, and still be in a job next summer.

I actually think the signings of Jesus & Zinchenko might go down as the deals of the summer.

I agree with that, but feel like it’s now or never for Arteta. All well and good getting rid of these players, putting in youngsters etc, but if you’re not competing, it’s not good enough.

Same applies with Jesus and Zinchenko, could go down as deals of the summer, or could be £75m (and then £30m for Vieira) spent on failure, if they don’t make the top 4.
Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:23 - Aug 5 with 937 viewsgiant_stow

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:05 - Aug 5 by hype313

Think this season is make or break for him, especially with the investment of Jesus and Zinchenko.

Anything bar top 4 and he will be out.

They'll surprise everyone this season and push for the title - maybe even get there..

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:36 - Aug 5 with 889 viewshype313

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:23 - Aug 5 by giant_stow

They'll surprise everyone this season and push for the title - maybe even get there..

Ahh here is is, our in house Gooner!

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:37 - Aug 5 with 887 viewsgiant_stow

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:36 - Aug 5 by hype313

Ahh here is is, our in house Gooner!

brute!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:37 - Aug 5 with 884 viewsgiant_stow

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:37 - Aug 5 by giant_stow

brute!

...we hate Tottenham, we hate Tottenham...

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:38 - Aug 5 with 883 viewshype313

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:37 - Aug 5 by giant_stow

...we hate Tottenham, we hate Tottenham...

Everyone hates Tottenham! That's a given.

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 15:07 - Aug 5 with 792 viewsGarv

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 14:18 - Aug 5 by Parky

Whilst I partly agree with what you’re saying, Arsenal should be making top four every single season and haven’t done so since 13/14. The whole of the Premier League spends a stupid amount of money, but with their recent investments, should be finishing top 4.

Completely disagree about Wenger though, in his 22 seasons as Arsenal manager, he failed to make the top 4 twice (his last 2 seasons), since then, Emeri and Arteta have now failed to do so.

Ahead of Chelsea, United, City, Liverpool, even Spurs perhaps...Why should they? They've all spent the same amounts or more and all had better squads to work with in the first place. This is something that bugs me every season, the idea that certain teams have to be in the top X irrespective of how many other similar sized clubs are competing for the same spot.

Get your point on Wenger, but I think most people would agree his time was more or less up, a bit like MM's was here. His team seemed to be a mess towards the end. Arteta seems to be trying to build a bit of solidity which Wenger had struggled with.

Considering where they were, Arteta's not had that much time in the grand scheme.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 16:18 - Aug 5 with 691 viewsC_Jam_Blue

Saw the first episode. Like you I was pleasantly surprised by Arteta. He doesn't usually come across that well in interviews.

A recent chart I saw has Arsenal down as the 6th highest spenders on wages in the PL so on that measure they are performing about par. Of those above them, Man City and Liverpool don't look likely to slip up any time soon. Spurs with Conte look like they are a stronger outfit. So I think they are fighting Chelsea and Man U for fourth. Man U are a basket case club at the moment despite their huge financial clout. Chelsea is the interesting one, lost some key players and it will be interesting to see what impact the change of ownership has. Bit worrying when you hear the owner is personally directing transfer business (shades of Evans).

There is always a chance that one of the teams just below them in the wages table could have a strong season Villa, Leicester, WHU or Maybe Newcastle but every season we seem to see one team like this look like breaking into the top six only to fade in the final weeks of the season. Personally I'd love to see a shake up in the top 4 but feels unlikely just now.
Everything or Nothing Arsenal on 17:14 - Aug 5 with 614 viewsibbleobble

As the answer is clearly “nothing”, I decided to swerve it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024